PM Prayut asks general public to preserve environment

webfact

PM asks general public to preserve environment

en.jpg

BANGKOK, 5 December 2016 (NNT) - The government urges the people of Thailand to recognize the importance of natural resources on the occasion of Thai Environment Day. 

Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd disclosed that on the occasion of Thai Environment Day, December 4th 2016, Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha asked people to recognize the importance of natural resources, the environment, and to cooperate with the government on environmental preservation. 

The government had laid clear policies to preserve and restore natural resources from the start such as the reclamation of areas of National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuary and National from the capitalists and influential figures, reforestation and the allocation of land to the needy in the form of community forests, the revised management of national parks and the promotion of volunteers to assist state directives, he said. 

He added that the government has placed guidelines of the 20-Year National Strategy with a great focus on long-term environment preservation and restoration.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-05

Without proper education, without the micro-politics to go along (no more plastic-bags for every small item at 7eleven f.e), without a general understanding, all and every measures to protect the environment, are doomed to fail! Tearing down illegal buildings in NP's is fine, but as long as fishing- boats are allowed to destroy and overfish, these attempts lead nowhere !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The government needs to look at its trash removal and recycling industry.  In Bangkok, finding the plastic bottle, aluminum can tricycle guy was never easy.  The trikes were a wondrous sites when full, but no too common.  We really had to search to find the recycle tricycle guy.  It was wonderful to see his face light up when you had a big bag of something.   

Edited by yellowboat

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Without proper education, without the micro-politics to go along (no more plastic-bags for every small item at 7eleven f.e), without a general understanding, all and every measures to protect the environment, are doomed to fail! Tearing down illegal buildings in NP's is fine, but as long as fishing- boats are allowed to destroy and overfish, these attempts lead nowhere !

Indeed. The state actively works to create people who have little if any care for the environment and then demands that they do. Created sick and commanded to be well... sounds like Christianity.

3 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The government needs to look at its trash removal and recycling industry.  In Bangkok, finding the plastic bottle, aluminum can tricycle.  They are a wondrous sites when full, but were no too common.  We really had to search to find the recycle tricycle guy.      

I guess it reached a point where it was no longer worth it. Used to see them all the time on Samui but now lucky if you see one a week. In the past I would separate into neat packages all my plastic - glass - paper/cardboard - tits etc. and give it to the old girl in the village (3-4 months worth) so she could sell it on for a few hundred Baht. She's not interested anymore so I take it myself down to someone over the way and give it to them for nothing.

Our area has many rubbish dumps along the side of the roads, eventually it gets cleared up and fenced off, then they start again just down the road. Dirty buggers, and they will claim they 'love' Thailand.!!

Exactly why aren't these lot fined 2,000 baht instead of a tourist stamping out his cigarette butt in the city centre.

Each day a different rally cry. Nothing will happen without serious action.  Its not enough just to say a few inspirational words once a year.

Ban the use of non biodegradable plastic bags, start an awareness campaign such as Australia's 'keep Australia beautiful', fine people harshly for rubbishing the environment (very important), impose environmental standards on companies including prawn farms, clean up bangkok as an example to rural communities, double down on tourist areas.  

Just words, General? Thais do not care at all about their environment, and without proper laws nothing will happen.

Even most farangs in this country do not care. I see them leaving supermarkets with dozens of plastic bags all the time - just like the Thais. No difference here...

Excellent idea, general. Let's start by banning coal-fired power plants, providing legal and human rights protection for environmental activists, bringing to justice those who have disappeared so many of them over the years, shutting down illegal logging and encroachment done by members of the military and those with police/military connections,  and building national rail lines for mass transit rather than for the transport of chinese goods.

Edited by debate101

Maybe stop the import tax charged on solar PV panels?

Maybe make the electricity companies buy the electricity produced by Solar PV systems?

I installed 104 kW of Solar but can use it only for self consumption. So the electricity produced on weekends is wasted as the electricity companies won't buy it.

How about leading by example and order an honest EIA for the big buck government projects, like coal-fired power plants, motorways, high speed trains, ferries, ports etc?

That would suppose the people would have a saying and the government would have to listen. But that's not gonna happen.

All hot air, dear leader, all just hot air.

4 hours ago, gchurch259 said:

A good start would be to quit littering and dumping your crap on some bodies else's land or property !!

Too much trash and no respect for their Country or other people's rights !!

I recently had new brakes and shock absorbers installed on my car and B-Quick put the replaced rotors and shocks in my trunk. I talked to some construction workers who said they woukd like to have them, to sell as scrap. Sure beats the usual dumping along the roadside practiced by some.

4 hours ago, jerojero said:

How about cleaning up the klongs, institute proper garbage receptacles, waste management and stop the annual NW field burnings. THEN ask citizens to do their part.

Lead by example interesting. All your great ideas come down to one question Funding well also desire and education as well. 

Edited by elgordo38

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Does this mean there won't be a burning season in northern Thailand next year?

Too late.  They're already started.  They use old motorcycle tires as fuel.  It's makes the smoke even worse.

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

Our area has many rubbish dumps along the side of the roads, eventually it gets cleared up and fenced off, then they start again just down the road. Dirty buggers, and they will claim they 'love' Thailand.!!

You are right, fly tippers and the other hobby of throwing rubbish out of the car window its all ok so long as its not in my back yard. They see nothing in wrong in all of this, its very sad really, I would think they would be proud to take care of the country and live in a scenic environment, obviously not and until laws are there to take car of the environment and its properly enforced its just all talk as usual.

Someone needs to say that this is no longer acceptable, you will be punished.

As with most things here we will hold our breath but live in hope that society changes.

Funny man. Have you personally visited CITY HALLS in your nation to check there daily cleaning schedules General Sir. I think if pop into to Pattaya you may find that department never existed. The beaches are cleaned by foreigners haha. That's your problem.you think Thais are so caring honest and great. They leave there shit and wall away. City Hall not give a toss about 0

I would have thought that"demands" would be a better request than "asks" What with all the rubbish and crap on the beaches and in the sea,in most resorts. Also the human side of it,where people unload their noses and spit on the street. Exhaust systems that are too loud and the black shit that some of the lorries belch out,which we have to drive behind.I could go on.

There was tree in a field next to our house, tree was near road but not overhanging only cows around and apart from farm opposite no other houses for a good few km

Mrs came back home last week farmer opposite had just cut it down 

NOW its not his tree 

NOT his land

Owner of field is old thai woman in BKK and no she didnt ask him to do it

so why did the ********er do it

His answer

It didn't look beautiful and was going to get old and fall down

it does seem intelligence wise we have fallen off the edge here

Thailand lost 80% of it's forest over the last 100 years, it's overpopulated, and most people don't give a toss about the environment. Non-stop building of roads, dams, malls, housing estates, concrete river promenades where there was once a green and pastoral scene, are the order of the day. The greed and blind stupidity is set to continue for the foreseeable future.

If you are serious about creating public awareness about the environment, show us some creative juice. The kind of juice we all know the leaders here do not have. Create some real policy. In the 1950's, and early 1960's littering was a real problem in the US. Then along came the litterbug campaign, and large fines. Now, it is a $1,000 fine to litter on the highways. I think Thais would respond very quickly to a 35,000 baht fine!

As far as plastic bags go, everyone is a culprit. Unless you get the 20 liter bottles at your home, and refill bottles each and every time you go to a restaurant, or drive around in your car, you have no right to complain about the environment. Same goes for plastic bags. Unless you bring your own bags every time you walk into a 7/11, or a grocery store, you are responsible for the devastation of the planet. We absolutely need to get involved.

Every time I go to a restaurant, I bring a bottle of water, that I have used hundreds of times. It saves perhaps 500 bottles per year, or more. Same with plastic bags. I always bring my own bags to the supermarket. People think it is weird. Ask me if I care?