Latest photos from construction of new Pattaya underpass

Jonathan Fairfield

23 hours ago, sedge said:

Abandoned?  How come I was stuck in huge traffic jams this morning due to them resurfacing the road?

Traffic jams should not be confused with them actually working. This was at 11:00am, so maybe they had an early lunch.:coffee1:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So just where exactly is the water that flows into the tunnel or that is diverted around the tunnel going to go?  I bet it won't be long before some serious ground subsidence happens as water seeps down

You cant say that. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's now banned on Tv to talk about water and the Tunnel.

shame on you.

Stop now,    that's Blasphemy,  you know.:giggle:

33 minutes ago, Oink said:

Traffic jams should not be confused with them actually working. This was at 11:00am, so maybe they had an early lunch.:coffee1:

please read my post .... 'they were resurfacing the road'  by that, I mean they were resurfacing the road ..... with loads of big trucks. and people waving big red flags .... and lots of digging up the old road surface. Doh!

9 minutes ago, sedge said:

please read my post .... 'they were resurfacing the road'  by that, I mean they were resurfacing the road ..... with loads of big trucks. and people waving big red flags .... and lots of digging up the old road surface. Doh!

yes I went through that as well both ways around lunchtime but work was only on the north bound side. Road surface is treacherous if you are on a motor bike.

1 hour ago, onemorechang said:

You cant say that. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's now banned on Tv to talk about water and the Tunnel.

shame on you.

Stop now,    that's Blasphemy,  you know.:giggle:

No, you're free to continue making a fool yourself about the tunnel flooding as you please. Can you say "submarine?" But it's quiet now as so many of our Tunnelers have lost the will to live and are simply collapsed in drunken stupors, staring at the wall of their cheap room. I fear a rash of balcony diving soon, esp as the rainy season gets under way.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:04 PM, Oink said:

Drove past this morning and it looks like the works have been abandoned.

Yeah, been all abandoned. This is THE END. Another ruin!

From experience, this indicates that someone in the supply chain is not or has not been paying the Contractor / Sub-contractors.

Never attempt to extrapolate from poor experience. Have you ever had the experience of passing by at various times during an extended period, driving on both sides of the road, and peering inside of a tunnel under construction.

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No, you're free to continue making a fool yourself about the tunnel flooding as you please. Can you say "submarine?" But it's quiet now as so many of our Tunnelers have lost the will to live and are simply collapsed in drunken stupors, staring at the wall of their cheap room. I fear a rash of balcony diving soon, esp as the rainy season gets under way.

ok

submarine. 

just for you. :thumbsup:

My NPW apartment manager told me the Klang-Suk intersection would open in February. This was back in November after I had moved out of Pattaya to Bangkok because I couldn't stand the exasperating and risky crossover for shopping any more. But I thought I'd move back to NPW this coming summer when all's ready. So now you're telling me it's going to be the autumn, ref 6-8 months for pedestrian bridge? 

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

My NPW apartment manager told me the Klang-Suk intersection would open in February. This was back in November after I had moved out of Pattaya to Bangkok because I couldn't stand the exasperating and risky crossover for shopping any more. But I thought I'd move back to NPW this coming summer when all's ready. So now you're telling me it's going to be the autumn, ref 6-8 months for pedestrian bridge? 

From memory it was announced "officially" Feb 17/27 or similar. Someone must have forgotten to tell the workers........:whistling:

13 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I do believe this thread maybe of some  interest to you.

and maybe one or two others. :jap:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/971095-thread-killers/

Edited by onemorechang

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the pedestrian footbridge (refurbished) is already in place, but not open yet. Somebody mentioned to me the other day that they'd seen it there. I don't normally drive down that section (join near Boonthavorn) so can't be sure.

On 3/3/2017 at 6:47 AM, NanLaew said:

Same places that water goes to now; bottom of the hill on either side.

Since the tunnel goes down at both sides, and is also open ( uncovered ) at the entrance, there now a new bottom of the hill which is located at the centre of the tunnel. :smile:

The road surface on the northbound side of Sukumvit around the new tunnel is as close to being finished as it can be without actually being so. The whole width is drivable albeit with unfinished strips between the lanes.

The effect is that when they arent actually working on that side of the road there is no traffic jam at all. It all flows very freely. The same cannot (yet) be said of the southbound side of Sukumvit where in places there are only one and a half lanes open.

10 minutes ago, Allstars said:

Since the tunnel goes down at both sides, and is also open ( uncovered ) at the entrance, there now a new bottom of the hill which is located at the centre of the tunnel.

This is the whole point. If you look at it carefully the road slopes up into the tunnel, not down. It cannot flood except perhaps in the case of a mega-tsunami that engulfs the whole town. The end result is exactly the same as if the road was still on the surface (which part of it still is) and the water flow to surrounding areas will be exactly the same as before.

So the low-lying sections of Sukumvit will flood as they always do, but the tunnel will not.

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The road surface on the northbound side of Sukumvit around the new tunnel is as close to being finished as it can be without actually being so. The whole width is drivable albeit with unfinished strips between the lanes.

The effect is that when they arent actually working on that side of the road there is no traffic jam at all. It all flows very freely. The same cannot (yet) be said of the southbound side of Sukumvit where in places there are only one and a half lanes open.

Generally the southbound flow is easier since they completed the 'fast track' outer lane resurfacing. However, there's some real rough patches on the nearside lane between SSCC and the NCA bus station which forces motorbikes and the car drivers that worry about spilling their latte into faster traffic. Looks like the (mainly) Korean tourist bus company have taken over an empty plot just before the Boonsampan which makes for the ossasional slow down as a bus goes in and out.

For some reason, the northbound lanes were similarly much faster after the completed the 'fast track'... for about 2 or 3 days. Lately it has slowed down again as the 3 lanes headed north find themselves once again channeled into one lane around the boxing stadium. Particularly bad in the post 4PM rush hour but not too bad for straight through traffic in the morning rush. The buses at rubberland are still making the near side lane and Klang turners drive a bit of a chore but at least the guys with the whistles seem to  wait until they have maybe half a dozen buses ready to go before stopping traffic and releasing them all in one go.

5 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the pedestrian footbridge (refurbished) is already in place, but not open yet. Somebody mentioned to me the other day that they'd seen it there. I don't normally drive down that section (join near Boonthavorn) so can't be sure.

I used the new pedestrian bridge from NPW to the beachside of Suk months ago. So I'm not sure which bridge is being talked about that will cause the intersection delay. 

I used the new pedestrian bridge from NPW to the beachside of Suk months ago. So I'm not sure which bridge is being talked about that will cause the intersection delay. 

Ok good. Also, to install a pedestrian footbridge is fairly quick as they are usually fabricated off-site and then lifted into place. The ones I've seen put up take a couple of days to lift in place, not 6-8 months!

On 3/1/2017 at 3:55 PM, wpcoe said:

Will the Pattaya Tai and Thepprasit excavation be one long tunnel, or two separate ones?  Those two intersections are not that far apart.

On 3/1/2017 at 10:32 PM, NanLaew said:

It won't happen.

Looks like they've already set out the temporary storage and office facilities at the top of Thepprasit.

On 3/4/2017 at 8:19 AM, NanLaew said:

For some reason, the northbound lanes were similarly much faster after the completed the 'fast track'... for about 2 or 3 days. Lately it has slowed down again as the 3 lanes headed north find themselves once again channeled into one lane around the boxing stadium.

Correction! There's two northbound lanes divided by the concrete blocks; the nearside one is for stuff going into Rubberland, King Power, Klang, etc. and coming out of Klang, Index, Boonthavorn, etc.. while the 'fast-lane' is for those headed for Highway 7 and beyond. Note that they 'merge' somewhere around 150 m shy of the Highway 7 ramp so if crossing from left to right (to get on the ramp), one needs to be vigilant on fast, straight through traffic coming up on your right side... and super vigilant of brainless ones in front of you who don't know what their mirrors are for, brake and even stop before turning their heads to see if anything is coming before puttering across all lanes in third gear with the big ends clattering!!!

Edited by NanLaew

North bound Sukhumvet from Phattaya Thai. to the  start  of the fly over.

is a disaster zone,  Friday , Saturday and i would say today as well.

don't bother in a 4 wheeled vehicle unless you like sitting in traffic at a stand still

or at best a very slow crawl,  it will not improve until the tarmacking is finished.

5 lanes into Two just don't work. on the weekends here.

South bound is ok , ish

Correction! There's two northbound lanes divided by the concrete blocks; the nearside one is for stuff going into Rubberland, King Power, Klang, etc. and coming out of Klang, Index, Boonthavorn, etc.. while the 'fast-lane' is for those headed for Highway 7 and beyond. Note that they 'merge' somewhere around 150 m shy of the Highway 7 ramp so if crossing from left to right (to get on the ramp), one needs to be vigilant on fast, straight through traffic coming up on your right side... and super vigilant of brainless ones in front of you who don't know what their mirrors are for, brake and even stop before turning their heads to see if anything is coming before puttering across all lanes in third gear with the big ends clattering!!!

That's a good point about the merging bit near Home Pro/Boonthavorn. This is something my mum also picked up on!! She reckons that they will block people from merging there which would be a bummer as that is where I usually pop out of near my house when hitting the motorway. I think she has a good point but will the Thais block this merging point for safety reasons?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It sounds very difficult, you've got me worried already.

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

That's a good point about the merging bit near Home Pro/Boonthavorn. This is something my mum also picked up on!! She reckons that they will block people from merging there which would be a bummer as that is where I usually pop out of near my house when hitting the motorway. I think she has a good point but will the Thais block this merging point for safety reasons?

Safety reasons - in Thailand :cheesy::cheesy:

I would suggest for your own safety (especially when fully operational) use the soi before the Boonthavon one (7/11 on one corner on Soi Yume or whatever it is called there).

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

If there's several fender benders, they may consider it. I have been known to launch straight across all 4 lanes in the 50 m dash from the tire repair shop on the northside of Boonthavorn to the Highway 7 ramp.

Not on weekends though!

Safety reasons - in Thailand :cheesy::cheesy:
I would suggest for your own safety (especially when fully operational) use the soi before the Boonthavon one (7/11 on one corner on Soi Yume or whatever it is called there).

That's the Soi I normally used to head straight over to the 7 ramp but you can't now as it's blocked with bollards. You have to travel further down the Suk as explained, making the distance even shorter to join the 7 ramp.

The concrete bollards are probably only temporary until they've resurfaced the road properly, but it is foreseeable that northbound traffic that emerges from the tunnel that doesn't want to turn onto Hwy.7 will clash with all the traffic from Central road up that didn't use the tunnel but want to merge on the Hwy 7 flyover

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, JSixpack said:

Yeah, been all abandoned. This is THE END. Another ruin!

Never attempt to extrapolate from poor experience. Have you ever had the experience of passing by at various times during an extended period, driving on both sides of the road, and peering inside of a tunnel under construction.

On My motorbike whilst avoiding the potholes? Never! But I was on the southbound side and there was no one there, so I extrapolated that they were not working on that section at that time!

2 hours ago, Oink said:

On My motorbike whilst avoiding the potholes? Never! But I was on the southbound side and there was no one there, so I extrapolated that they were not working on that section at that time!

No, from that 2 minute glance, or 1 minute, however brief, from one side you reached the silly conclusion that "the works," meaning ALL, looked to have been "abandoned." And then you extrapolated from your "experience" that "this indicates that someone in the supply chain is not or has not been paying the Contractor / Sub-contractors." But your 2 minute experience also led to confusing two unrelated experiences. In fact I'd question your long experience w/ Contractors / Sub-contractors as you seem unaware that delays, short or longer, are quite normal in the construction industry, particularly for a project of this size for many reasons other than that of payment. Not that this was necessarily a "delay" at all. TVF ace construction engineers like to see workers always crawling like ants all over a project at all times (the TVF Poster All Times rule) so their Eyeballs At Random Intervals can verify the evidence of success or coming success. Otherwise, it's failed. ;)

Edited by JSixpack

I did the south bound side last night.  What a mess.  In most other countries, it's a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.  Dropoffs, holes, dirt and debris, narrowing lanes with no advance notice, fallen concrete barricades, etc. 

They could have laid the tarmac on both sides in about a week and it would be done.  They've just let it go for weeks.  Absolutely horrible.