Phuket trams - plans to be revealed "this month"

webfact

Phuket trams - plans to be revealed "this month"

p2.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

PHUKET: -- Thirty billion baht plans for a light tram network in Phuket will be revealed this month.

Communications minister Arkhom Termphitayaphaisit said that the plan is a joint venture between the government and private sector.

He said that the main details would be revealed this month after traffic and environmental impact studies had been completed, reports Thai News Agency.

The electric tram is hoped to be a boon for the local economy as well as help tourism in the province.

The original budget of 24 billion baht has been increased to 30 billion due to the potential construction of a number of tunnels.

Construction in the international airport area is one of the main areas where final decisions are yet to be made.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-07

1 hour ago, d123 said:

How come there's no overhead cables depicted in the picture? They're every bl**dy where in the LOS plus I thought o/h cables were essential for 'trams'?

Perhaps the power will be in the tracks.

This would have the added advantage of keeping scooter riders off said tracks - eventually.

1 hour ago, d123 said:

How come there's no overhead cables depicted in the picture? They're every bl**dy where in the LOS plus I thought o/h cables were essential for 'trams'?

Trams without overhead cables  is possible, not too complicated 

Edited by Honthy

A tram going through a round-about in Thailand, what could possibly go wrong?

Also according to the picture, there would be two lanes for the Tram running in the middle of the current road. So they will take one lane from each side of the current road to make room for that? It's already congested enough. And good luck with all the u-turns.

How about trying something easier... say a proper public bus network? Nah can't even manage to do that.

This is going to be fun.

Ya gotta love the driver on the left of the picture! Proves it must be Phuket.

Of course, this is exactly what Phuket needs to end the reign of the mini-buses and coaches in their never ending procession from the airport to Patong and beyond.

I imagine a tram will bring little economic benefit though, in fact it will put dozens of mini-bus driver out of work....what it may do is improve safety, improve the driving environment, reduce pollution, reduce congestion, save building more and wider roads....all the reasons other countries are re-introducing them.

Incompatible with current road corridors unless a sky train like the BTS.

20 hours ago, madmitch said:

The attached picture is pure fantasy.

Maybe the whole project will be, after the R&D and EI has been distributed.

... but not before some of the players have lined their pockets via the studies.

8 minutes ago, DrDave said:

... but not before some of the players have lined their pockets via the studies.

I actually missed a word out of my post, which I spotted to late to edit.

It should have red "after the R&D and EI budget has been distributed. And everyone knows what I'm alluding to.