Kawasaki W800 now in Thailand

Issanman

Well Denim the Thai market for big bikes are expanding rapidly, don't forget that just a few years ago only the Kawa 650's was fairly cheap here compared to the rest but now we are getting more and more choices, which off-course is good and I think that will help keeping their value batter too.

I sold my HD here some years ago and I only lost 100k baht after app 4 years ownership, I bought it 2nd hand when grey imports were still possible to get. 

No way am I gonna buy a 2nd hand big bike from a Thai, +85% ride it like they stole it, and I read about one guy here on the forum that traded in his Ducati (for another one) and his old bike had suddenly "lost" 10 or was it 15.000 km on the odometer when he saw it for sale a couple of days later, ha-ha. Okay not an Aut Ducati dealer but a big 2nd hand dealer in BKK

9 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes it has. I have a big bike license ( both British and Thai ) which I have had some 30 years now but unless you have only recently arrived in Thailand and are still comparing everything with what it costs at home , then 395,000 is still a hell of a lot to pay for a retro bike when a quick look through Thai.scooter.com would find you a lot better big bike for a lot less money.

A lot of people cannot stand the concept of buying second hand. Newbies come to Thailand every year and want everything they had at home. They rush out and buy a big bike on the strength of their current situation. A few years down the line they have had enough and want to leave, selling their big bike for what they can get. Currently, Thai politics being what they are , there are a lot of people having to sell their big bike for a lot less than they had hoped.

Of course, if you are wealthy and don't mind taking a big hit on your investment....no worries. But the way it actually is here now, if you invest in a brand new big bike then want to sell it a couple of years later.....then unless you have several friends willing to pay your price...you will lose money.

Cars are different. Even an old nail will attract a lot of buyers. That's s just the way it is. I enjoyed motorcycling here some 30 years ago. Not so much traffic and not so hot. Eventually I gave it up because I was not enjoying as I had in England. Inferior roads and not half as scenic. One day after a particularly long ride from Nong Khai to Ubon I just decided I was fooling myself. Gave it up and switched to a sports car. Never regretted the decision.

Still have a modest scoot back in the UK but thinking of selling it as a classic as not worth the upkeep.

If you are only here to talk about how it was all better in the olden days, and you have given up riding bikes completely, I suggest you refrain from posting in this part of the forum, there is enough negativity here already.

Now go and enjoy your sportscar and talk about how great it is in the car part of the forum.

Good luck to you.

Had a W 650 here years ago,  only invoice so sold it once I moved to Chiang Mai but it was a very nice bike. I loved it. For sheer retroness it out did the Bonneville. Very detailed.  I read it was a very expensive bike for kawasaki to produce and not much of a profit margin so probably a factor in it stopping production. 

On 12/14/2016 at 4:50 PM, JAFO said:

The more I look at the murdered one, I really like it. Its a bit retro style but with newer technology making it fun. I would buy a Kawi over a Triumph any day just out of sheer reliability reasons and ease of parts if anything would every go bad. Its a bit pricey but its definitely one that I can plunk the wife on the back and we can go for a turn and burn around the North. I already have an R3 which is a solo rider. Hmmmm. Going to have to go see if I can see one in person. 

Do you really think a kawasaki is more reliable and has easier parts procurement than a triumph? I have two and neither has ever had a problem.  I dropped one and had no problem with the parts.  The factory is right here in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Bung said:

Had a W 650 here years ago,  only invoice so sold it once I moved to Chiang Mai but it was a very nice bike. I loved it. For sheer retroness it out did the Bonneville. Very detailed.  I read it was a very expensive bike for kawasaki to produce and not much of a profit margin so probably a factor in it stopping production. 

I think you need to look up the word "retro" in the dictionary, the Bonneville is not retro, it is an original and brilliant and a Jap bike pretending to be a Bonny well all I can say is "puke!!!"

"Very detailed", I think the phrase you are looking for is "solly we have no imagination", if they want retro, the Japanese should be copying their own early bikes, some were good in their own right and it is their heritage after all.

Stop leaching off the Brits.

I think it is safe to say that the original look was from the BSA Gold Star, and anything after is just copies. While I believe that BSA and Kawasaki had a license deal so maybe the Kawasaki W800 is more original that the Triumph. Also interesting to know is that BSA will be back with a whole line-up of new motorcycles - mostly modern retro bikes...

9 hours ago, AllanB said:

I think you need to look up the word "retro" in the dictionary, the Bonneville is not retro, it is an original and brilliant and a Jap bike pretending to be a Bonny well all I can say is "puke!!!"

"Very detailed", I think the phrase you are looking for is "solly we have no imagination", if they want retro, the Japanese should be copying their own early bikes, some were good in their own right and it is their heritage after all.

I think it is you who need to do some googling. 

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_W_series

I have had both a W 650 and currently own a triumph thruxton and believe me,  the W is a better detailed bike than the triumph. 

An example? The space between the seat and tank where the wiring loom and cables pass, the kawasaki has a nice rubber edged steel cover to hide them,  the triumph you can clearly see an ugly wiring loom.  Many more examples like this.  

I think it is you who need to do some googling. 

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_W_series

I have had both a W 650 and currently own a triumph thruxton and believe me,  the W is a better detailed bike than the triumph. 

An example? The space between the seat and tank where the wiring loom and cables pass, the kawasaki has a nice rubber edged steel cover to hide them,  the triumph you can clearly see an ugly wiring loom.  Many more examples like this.  

Is that on the latest (watercooled) Triumphs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the old Brit bikes were so good - Trumpet, Beezer, Norton - why did they go belly up ?  All this talk of how great they were in the good old days is just that - talk. If they were so good people would have continued to buy them. The Japanese R and D far surpassed anything made back in Blighty. Look at the new models made - see the Japanese influence ?  Mine were only improved with the addition of Japanese ignition and charging systems.

If the old Brit bikes were so good - Trumpet, Beezer, Norton - why did they go belly up ?  All this talk of how great they were in the good old days is just that - talk. If they were so good people would have continued to buy them. The Japanese R and D far surpassed anything made back in Blighty. Look at the new models made - see the Japanese influence ?  Mine were only improved with the addition of Japanese ignition and charging systems.

All fair Comments but there were a lot more to their demise than just bad R&D/reliability issues.

Government/unions/strikes and a lot more, were additional factors and nothing directly to do with the products.

No matter the reasons, it's great to still see so many in working order after 50 plus years. Something, I hope the Japanese bikes can also achieve (maybe).

12 hours ago, AllanB said:

Disagree.

I'm probably one of the most staunch Brit Bike fanatics on this forum, more Triumph tattoos than you can shake a stick at.

However,

the only thing original with a Hinkley/Chonburi Bonneville compared to the original Meriden versions is the name on the tank (even the logo is slightly different) and the general shape of the bike. There was a gap of several years between Meriden closing down and Hinkley opening. The engine has more in common with any DOHC Jap engine designed in the late 70's, horizontal split c/cases, OHC chain drive, etc etc. Even the tank pressings are common to Jap/modern style manufacture with the visible seam. They are, and were two separate companies, the only thing in common being the name, bought by John Bloor. Who is sensible enough from a business point of view to continue using Meriden Triumph's great past and marvelous history. To this day the Triumph tank shape and two tone paint job will provide sales.
For a further glimpse to future impressive sales, one only has to look at the new Bonneville Bobber for sale in the new year - rave reviews.

5 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Is that on the latest (watercooled) Triumphs?

Air cooled. The new water cooled ones are better detailed from what I've seen.  They had to be. 

I like the modern retro looking bikes, a bike you go out a start and ride away, come back and park it, perhaps wash it and it's ready to go again.

No tinkering about with wrenches and stuff, ABS brakes and sometimes traction control, so a modern bike in a retro package. 

I was a some stage trying finding an real old Honda Cup but gave up after I tried 2, they were crap, brakes hardly working, little or no power, hard to start and last but not least, no green book.

My next big bike will very likely be a Triumph Twin (yes the new water-cooled ones), haven't decided which model yet & when but the new Bobber is high on the wish-list at the movement.

I given up getting a Royal Enfield, 27hp or thereabouts is not enough for me, I want a bit of fun with my bikes and that translates into; more power than that.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I've got an Enfield on order,  just for a town bike and puttering about.  You won't be cruising above 100k's on one of those long but really enjoyable riding within its limits. 2017 will see new models,  a 400 single and 650 twin so happy to get a 500 thumper. Still got a tiger xcx to tour on.