Do i have to serve in the Thai military?

bobberh

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, robblok said:

Serving in the army is nothing more then wasted time.. all those old timers who say otherwise :saai:

Agreed.  And I am former military.  However I think basic training is great on many levels.  Where it really gets bad is when you find yourself in combat.  The only good thing that came out of that was me seriously questioning what the hell life was about at a tender young age.

Trying to think of a war that was fought for a good reason other than enriching the MIC or other "fat cats."

Can't.

7 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

The USA last drafted (conscripted) a person in 1973 but the law to register is still on the books. You must register for the draft at 18 and stays on the books till age 26. If you don;t register you cannot be employed in a Gov job or receive certain benefits like student loan. Dual nationals of the U.S. and another country are required to register, regardless of where they live, because they are U.S. nationals. ( If Thailand has that rule then yes they could draft him once here--- although unlikely since he never registered ) Even illegal aliens in US must sign up (their status is never reported to immigration) and if they serve and honorably discharged are given US citizenship.

The volunteer Armyb in US is really not working as too many are suffering PTS because of being sent into combat over and over again. At least during Viet-nam war  we served a maximum of 1 year in war zone unless volunteered for extra tour. These guys are seving over and over again in Afganistan, Syria, Iraq ect   Not healthy.

Yeah I spent a year in combat in Vietnam.  Complete "cake walk."

6 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

The USA last drafted (conscripted) a person in 1973 but the law to register is still on the books. You must register for the draft at 18 and stays on the books till age 26. If you don;t register you cannot be employed in a Gov job or receive certain benefits like student loan. Dual nationals of the U.S. and another country are required to register, regardless of where they live, because they are U.S. nationals. ( If Thailand has that rule then yes they could draft him once here--- although unlikely since he never registered ) Even illegal aliens in US must sign up (their status is never reported to immigration) and if they serve and honorably discharged are given US citizenship.

The volunteer Armyb in US is really not working as too many are suffering PTS because of being sent into combat over and over again. At least during Viet-nam war  we served a maximum of 1 year in war zone unless volunteered for extra tour. These guys are seving over and over again in Afganistan, Syria, Iraq ect   Not healthy.

Brits only went home long enough to fill their flasks :)

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

5555,best laugh of the morning.Teach men and women to kill and abuse others.Usually men learn this quickly and abuse their fellow female recruits.If that is areal man,well i must just be an ordinary man.I think sport teaches us all the disipline you need,especially team sport.

Just saw this gem ^

Can I ask what country you are from? Curious to see what cultural motivations would drive a person to think like this. 

9 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Trying to think of a war that was fought for a good reason other than enriching the MIC or other "fat cats."

Can't.

World War 2? Or was that a big conspiracy theory to enrich the MIC?

16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Pretty sure if you were out of the country (otherwise engaged in another life, i.e. studying/living elsewhere), you are in the clear. Hardly think they'd stiff you while on holiday... you're a tourist.

True. but IMO the fact that the OP only has a Thai passport, would surely not be in his favour, but as a previous poster pointed out, he should get a European passport.

15 hours ago, sotonowl said:

what a load of cobblers,discipline is seldom found in youth, it has to be instilled

Nobody has ever instilled any discipline in me, and plenty have tried, but I can honestly say that I have always got on with the majority of bosses and workmates throughout my life.

15 hours ago, fruitman said:

I guess you speak a european language as well, you can come to thailand and ONLY speak that language to any official. In that case you must be useless to them i would think.

But it doesn't hurt to be in the army, makes you a real man.

Your last sentence has let you down here.

I don't know what the Thailand Army has other than massive corruption & nepotism. 

I was trying to get feedback from Rob on why he feels the way he does. 

Mainly because of the stories of friends that had to go into conscription. They all agreed it was a massive loss of time. You got some money during conscription but that was it. As i said i was lucky i studied long (as long as you studied you were exempt and then they stopped conscription). So most Dutch found it a waste of time. Cant say that it instilled discipline... alcoholism sure. But not discipline.

3 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

You being Dutch I can understand your views, however what you consider to be disciplined I may view as slackness. Your attempt to get to the "old guys" is a clear indication that you lack respect to others and by expressing that contempt you show your lack of discipline. To convince yourself that you are disciplined because you workout is so funny its beyond words. Discipline of the mind is much more hard to achieve than physical discipline, you may have mastered the one but the other are lacking indeed. 

To do regular workouts, you have to be disciplined within yourself, I am probably one of the most undisciplined people you would ever meet, my own father tried to discipline me and it never worked, I discipline myself to go out and ride my bike every morning and do so much on the exercise machines in the local park, but if I am told to do something or obey a law I do not agree with, I have a middle finger.

Going into a war is never healthy but these guys choose it. They get combat pay and such. Its a free choice, not one i would make but they got my respect.

I think many Dutch are not overly nationalistic and don't fall for the fighting for your country.(you only fight for your country IMHO if its invaded or at risk)

I dont like wars much and i think they are often fought for the wrong reasons. Dont get me wrong WW2 was a good reason.

Anyway i totally get it why people dont want to serve. I all for a professional non conscripted army.

4 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Obviously you have never exerted yourself physically.Self motivation is all about the mind and is needed in physical activities,especially if you want to succeed.Ask any coach and he will tell you it is 90% between the ears.

I think you misunderstood me. Read my comment again. Only when you obtain mental discipline can you achieve top level physical performance. When you must run 1,5 miles in 12 minutes with full kit you must break your mental barrier first before you break the physical barrier. As for your assumption about my physical history, you are incorrect.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You only fight when you got a chance or if your actions really help.

Damn man I can think of 1000's of situations where I would rather fight an un-winnable war and die, than to lay down & "Live". Im no hero or anything, but history is a bitch & its proven time and time again how bad shit can get. 

There is also a personal responsibility of the people to protect themselves, and countries have allies for a reason. 

I know what you are saying but I don't really agree. This statement it way too simple and sheltered. 

I think you misunderstood me. Read my comment again. Only when you obtain mental discipline can you achieve top level physical performance. When you must run 1,5 miles in 12 minutes with full kit you must break your mental barrier first before you break the physical barrier. As for your assumption about my physical history, you are incorrect.

I think your full of it most Dutch Olympic winter athletes the one with gold medals never went into the army and they still put forth great achievements.

No need to waste time in the army to become good in a sport or to have discipline in mind and body.

How about female athletes big chance they never went in the army but they break world records too.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I speak from experience as I had a Thai wife and her 2 daughters. The mother gets a paper based on mariage and the kids based on their mother. After a few years say 5 or so they CAN get a Dutch passport (one of the 2 has done so) the other has not and can still stay as long as she has that card. 

Basically the same as how you stay in Thailand, only getting into the EU is harder (loads of paperwork and rules) but once you are in its easier and you got more rights. 

I still disagree on the army (conscription being a good thing and benefiting a country, its usually old people who think that way). Putting a group of unmotivated people in the army is a recipe for disaster and they wont learn a thing. Letting them study or doing normal work is far more valuable in the end. I have no problem with a professional army, there people are motivated and will want to learn and train. 

I was real happy that they stopped conscription back in my country, I had already studied for a long time (got my certificates and so on). Going to the army after that would have been a big waste of time. Now I could start in the field i studied for without interruption, making money paying taxes and learning more. Going a year in the army unmotivated learning skills i would never use or even develop would have been a waste. Thankfully our government thought the same about this and stopped conscription. The US government did the same thing I believe long ago. Seems people far smarter than you have seen the way long ago.  

Yes, I heard you the first time but thanks for the history lesson. To be fair I didn't realise the dutch had an army until the Srebrenica thing some years ago. 

8 hours ago, Strange said:

Um, you realize that you would be speaking German right now if it wasn't for the "rubbish" "brainwashing" nonsense you are speaking of currently. 

Amazing how quickly you guys forget. Its not like it was that long ago either. 

As for OP, I highly doubt he needs to worry about being drafted/conscripted. 

She probably does speak german, their all on a guilt trip. It's due to appeasers like her why we find ourselves in such a mess now

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Damn man I can think of 1000's of situations where I would rather fight an un-winnable war and die, than to lay down & "Live". Im no hero or anything, but history is a bitch & its proven time and time again how bad shit can get. 

There is also a personal responsibility of the people to protect themselves, and countries have allies for a reason. 

I know what you are saying but I don't really agree. This statement it way too simple and sheltered. 

Well said mate. Unfortunately, you can't educate pork. Europe now has a huge problem as it is full of wishy washy liberals who don't want or are afraid to stand up to the ever increasing threat to them, the threat is real and at the gates now. Problem is that there are too many people having a comfortable life and are unwilling to stand up and protect it. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, bobberh said:

Can anyone please enlighten me more about this topic? and is there a chance that i would be denied from traveling back til EU?

That your father did not get any letters for you to report for the draft is of no concern to the Militairy Authorities.

At 17 years old you have to register for the draft, letters or no letters.

Happened to my son, when he got 17, and he got fined Baht 200-.

A Thai nephew called him and asked if he had registered for the draft.

You will be interviewed, and not speaking or writing any Thai, you will be declared unfit for Militairy Service, hopefully.

16 hours ago, Strange said:

Of course my statement was simple, if the enemy is going to exterminate everyone then sure fight till the end. If the enemy is not that bad give up. I believe there are plenty of stories of Americans not fighting to the death (and a few where they did / same for the Dutch). But if Russia were to invade us and had crushed Germany already then fighting them and getting the country in ruins would not do us any good. They would overrun us anyway. 

Why do you think the Dutch stopped fighting in WW2. The Germans just had bombed Rotterdam and killed loads of civilians. Should we have fought for 2 more days (in the end they would have won anyway given their army and ours) But we were holding them back at some places (because of terrain). Now would those 2 days of holding them back and proving that we were brave be worth all the civilian casualties ?