Phuket student chases down bag snatchers

webfact

Phuket student chases down bag snatchers

Phuket Gazette 

pkt2.jpeg         

The suspect was charged with robbery and taken to Phuket City Police Station for further questioning. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A brave university student kept her cool and chased down a couple of bag snatchers in Phuket Town yesterday afternoon, leading to one robber’s arrest, as well as the retrieval of her belongings.

The victim, named by police as Chompoonut Noparat, was riding a bike on Phang Nga Road in Phuket Town when a man and a woman on a motorbike reportedly snatched her bag as they drove past. 

“Ms Chompoonut sped up to follow the thieves and collided with them in front of the police box in Talad Yai,” said Lt Preechapat Sangnoi of Phuket City Police.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-student-chases-down-bag-snatchers/65991?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-14

3 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Oh  bash  the  Thai police,  again   so  soon,  of  course

they  are  easy  pickings.

Oh, I'm an equal opportunity basher. Any incompetent official or individual will do.

I agree with your assessment about easy pickings.

I am glad this Thai  woman  got her stuff back  and hopefully  did damage to

these jerks  who tried to rob her  A  good  news  story,  and  in Phuket town

to boot.  I am hoping to  spend  a week or  two  there  and  it  does  not  seem

any  safer  in Phuket  that  it was two  years  ago

Geezer

21 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I am glad this Thai  woman  got her stuff back  and hopefully  did damage to

these jerks  who tried to rob her  A  good  news  story,  and  in Phuket town

to boot.  I am hoping to  spend  a week or  two  there  and  it  does  not  seem

any  safer  in Phuket  that  it was two  years  ago

Geezer

Yes, unfortunately the army takeover fell short of expectations for  improvements in some of the seedier aspects of Phuket.

However, with about 3 million tourists visiting the Province every year, a huge foreign labour force, and hundreds of thousands of Thais migrating in from all over the country seeking a slice of the tourist pie, the crime rate against visitors is actually very low.  This kid attempting a bag snatch is one crime probably more prevalent here.

Some of the reasons Phuket appears more dangerous than it actually is, are the active media outlets here who tend to sensationalise every minor incident in a bid to fill their pages.  Every prang their reporters stumble upon, or twisted ankle of a tourist stepping off a boat becomes news fodder. These stories are then picked up by the Thaivisa news team and given new life here.

If you don't have any plans to surf or snorkel when you can't swim, plan to drive drunk on a high powered motorbike sans helmet, or feel the need to leap from a high balcony, you should be quite safe here.

As long as you take reasonable precautions for your personal security, as you would anywhere, you will have less chance of having crime committed against you than in most places in the world.

(I'm not counting the high transport costs and other rippoffs as crime).

It's those pesky back doors and open windows in the toilet room. Or, pops showing up with a brown envelope.

Wasn't there a similar story a few years back about 2 perps escaping via toilet break? I'd look for it but the new search function is hardly worth the effort.