What is considered high mileage for a motorbike?

Hal65

I'm considering an around town bike, 125cc. I hear bikes don't last as long as cars, is that true? Saw a 41,000 km bike posted for 10k on a FB group recently which seems cheap.

Are they also more expensive to work on? In the US they are, Pattaya hopefully is different!

41k is pretty high for a 125cc. You have to consider that those km are not long distance travels, but heavy city use of stop-go, which are not as good for the engine and other parts of the bike. Even worse if it's a plastic bucket scooter like a Fino or similar.
Another thing to consider is maintenance. Generally, Thais are not big on taking care of their everyday workhorses. (In case the bike in question is Thai owned). I've seen bikes with less than 20k (Honda Wave) where pieces were falling off left and right, nothing seemed to be working right.

Spend maybe 5 or 10k more and get one with half the milage. Inspect it thoroughly and you won't regret it.

Edited by OmegaRacer

I'd much rather go for a higher mileage bike that had been used daily and regularly maintained according to the schedule, than a lower mileage bike that had been left to rot or just driven until something fails.

Of course, the high mileage bike might not have been maintained either. Just ride it and judge the condition. It will be dirt cheap to fix anything anyway and for 10k you can't really go wrong as long as it runs OK and looks OK.

New Berlin , Wisconsin, United States / April 4, 2009

In a feat that took almost 20 years to accomplish, former Wisconsin senator Dave Zien put a world record 1,000,000 miles on his Harley Davidson FXR motorcycle.

Zien began the journey in 1991. On April 4, 2009, Zien hit the million mile mark.

Edited by canthai55

I bought a third Fino for MrsB's boy (the other two for friends) with 47k on the clock for 7k + 1k for new belt and service, runs like a dream, smoother than the other two.

If it rides okay, no gearbox clonks or smoke, starts easily, then yes, everything at that level is cheap in terms of repair.

Stay away from anything liquid cooled though and if it has been modified in any way whatsoever, run like billio.

Edited by AllanB

With engines oils today and changed at service intervals 100/110/125 can go high mileage and getting new bits and pieces for small engines are inexpensive.

A good bodywork knackered 125 with engine work / new con ends / piston / carb bits / brake bits etc etc by local guy 3000 bht,  ride on. :thumbsup: 

A friend has a Honda Wave 100 with around 83,000km, that's with regular servicing, and it's still going strong, although I can smell a bit of oil in the exhaust ... It's been used almost exclusively around town and has suffered from too many fourth gear standing starts at traffic lights (why would you bother changing into neutral and then into first?), and probably also from its owner not knowing how to make things easier for the gearbox when changing down from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2.

It's regularly carried 150kg around, and maybe not surprisingly the most recent maintenance work was to change the rear shocks. That cost a bit over B2000 at the local Honda shop -- a non-franchise mechanic would probably have done it cheaper. So maintenance isn't that expensive and in fact repairs from roadside mechanics (e.g. repairing a puncture) are always amazingly cheap. 

At least do what other people here have said and take this bike for a run, make sure the frame isn't twisted -- that the bike doesn't dive off when left to its own devices -- and maybe also check the oil when it's on the center-stand, plus the condition of some key consumables -- battery, tyres, brakes, chain. None of those cost much to fix, but might give you some negotiating clout. Little things like the lights, too .. .

I'm starting to wonder if the price is really worth it or not. Living on soi buakhao I would only use my motorbike when bringing a girl home. It might just be worth paying the 60 or 80 baht or whatever it costs. 

Although based on what you guys said, bike ownership doesn't seem like that much of a hassle.

If looking at a 125cc, go for a used CBR150.

Tried and tested, bulletproof. Cheap as chips to maintain. 

Buy it, then take it to a Honda dealer and get:

New oil and oil filter.

New air filter.

New brake pads.

Chain adjusted.

Then get new tires, wither Michelin or Pirelli. They won't be much more than the stock ones Honda put on.

If just for light use around town, buy a used PCX150 automatic scooter. 

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I'm starting to wonder if the price is really worth it or not. Living on soi buakhao I would only use my motorbike when bringing a girl home. It might just be worth paying the 60 or 80 baht or whatever it costs. 

Although based on what you guys said, bike ownership doesn't seem like that much of a hassle.

Bringing a girl home, eh, what a noble task, LOL.

Well for me it's about the freedom the bikes gives me, live in North Pattaya and often scooter out to Jomtien for breakfast, enjoying the morning ride.

The scooters, well one of them is used at least once per day often more. Living in a house would be hell without them and the truck is impossible to park so that is mainly used for school runs duties and major shopping and going places for the whole family.

I bought a second hand Honda Wave 100 for my GF about 9 years ago.. it had 15k on it when I bought it.. 75k on it now... still going and runs well.. oil changed regularly.. tires and brakes always kept in good order otherwise very little spent on it..  I also have a Honda  110.. 4 years old 35k on it still starts and runs like new.. repairs are extremely cheap here..   ..change oil, adjust brakes... clean air filter (you have to show them where it is!).. new chain.. 750 Bt...   

18 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Got to love Thailand.

Buy a motorbike, to bring a working girl home.

Dude you are my hero.

Remember safety first.

Cheers.

You should be able to get a decent 100-110cc scooter for under B10K. I know several expats who ride old bikes. Last year, a buddy of mine bought a 100cc Honda for B4K. It needed tires, brakes and oil change, but that, all in was under B1K--he bought used tires. It has a broken odometer, so no idea of kms, but it is a 1990 model. He rides it everyday and never has had a problem. So, B5k total for a year of problem-free riding--pretty good, I'd say.

On 12/15/2016 at 1:09 AM, Olik said:

That's fair price. Mileage looks like a year old bike.

I have to say...I'm not a mechanic but was always led to believe that 12,000 Miles (not kilometers) was about average for a car. The above would appear high to me for a year old bike. I'm aware though the OP said nothing about the bike's age.

I have 110,000km on the bike I use everyday.

Bought new 6 years ago.

Keep it serviced, had a new piston and cylinder put in at 100,000km.

Change the tires and brake pads once a year before the start of the rainy season. 

Oil and oil filter every 3 months.

Fork oil and seals and other fluids every 2 years or so.

Replace other parts as they need. So far that's a brake disk, clutch plate, spark plug, chain and sprokets, in 6 years/110,000km.

Runs perfectly. 

Edited by DLang

It can be very convenient to have your own motorbike; I wanted something bigger than a Honda Wave 110 bike for only a six month stay in LOS a few years ago and the motorbike dealer (not a main dealer) suggested to pay monthly on installments, as if buying it over 3 years and when I had finished with it, just return it.

I ended up with an almost new Honda CBR 150 and the dealer was very happy to accept it back and cancel the contract when I left the country.

But if you do buy a used bike (avoid all Chinese bikes), it is cheap to maintain them. My 2 daughters both have an old Honda Wave each, that goes to school every day, (additionally loaded with school friends), which they do not look after in anyway and the occasionally problem is not expensive to fix.   

I have 14kms (not miles but Kilometers,  on a 5/yo and  told it was dirt value wise.  I still  see much less than pristine selling for more though (all I did was service at 2x claimed interval and it is sweet as a nut).

Keep it out of village and ti'll be fine.  I have a storage firm nearby should the need arise (Udon that is, but nothing to do with me).  Deapite its age it near pristine.

On 12/21/2016 at 3:28 AM, Shiver said:

I have 14kms (not miles but Kilometers,  on a 5/yo and  told it was dirt value wise.  I still  see much less than pristine selling for more though (all I did was service at 2x claimed interval and it is sweet as a nut).

Keep it out of village and ti'll be fine.  I have a storage firm nearby should the need arise (Udon that is, but nothing to do with me).  Deapite its age it near pristine.

14kms = 9 miles.

No wonder it is pristine.