Old man who "didn't want to be a burden" on his kids crawls to his death

webfact

Old man who "didn't want to be a burden" on his kids crawls to his death

p4a.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- An old paralyzed Thai man who didn't want to be a burden on his children crawled to his death yesterday.

Eighty year old Siri Phothiphithak waited until his daughter was out of the house, reports Sanook.

Then he crawled to a pond near his house and ended his life in the water.

He was found by his daughter Lot Mayuret when she got back from the market. She told police that her father had been bedridden for ten years.

He could only move by crawling or shuffling along on his knuckles. He had often spoken of wanting to die and had said he did not want to be a burden on his children.

Police found the grass leading to the pond flattened and a towel and medication by the water. There was no sign of a struggle.

The body was released for cremation as relatives agreed there was no suspicious circumstances.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-16

Not sure why people say this is sad.  I embrace it.  He was old and paralyzed.  His quality of life probably wasn't great.  He went out on his own terms.  Better than most of us will get.  

Sad very sad, poor man not wanting to be a burden.

Hope he is now at peace.

I being paralysed can understand him better than most people.

I have had similar thoughts on many occasions, but only the love and support of my wife, 

And a few good friends have stopped me doing similar.

Please people if you know someone in similar circumstances  reach out to them offer what help and support you can.

You never know if and when something like this could happen to you.

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sad very sad, poor man not wanting to be a burden.

Hope he is now at peace.

I being paralysed can understand him better than most people.

I have had similar thoughts on many occasions, but only the love and support of my wife, 

And a few good friends have stopped me doing similar.

Please people if you know someone in similar circumstances  reach out to them offer what help and support you can.

You never know if and when something like this could happen to you.

Greatly said! 

12 minutes ago, just bob said:

RIP

I don't think most people appreciate the courage it takes to end your life.  Sad that there is not a cleaner less painful medical option.

There is, it's called voluntary euthanasia but only a handful of countries allow it.

Personally, i have told my Thai wife that i do not want to be a vegetable if the worst should happen to me but she, unfortunately, is adamant that it would be a sin for her to help me die.

As was said earlier, hats off to Khun Siri for making it happen. Must have been one heck of a struggle to reach that pond.

Sorts of puts what I call problems into perspective.

To reach 80 years of age, and you can imagine what he has lived through, bringing up several generations, then deciding he did not want to be a burden to them, brings a tear to your eye.

R.I.P Khun Siri.

5 hours ago, digibum said:

Not sure why people say this is sad.  I embrace it.  He was old and paralyzed.  His quality of life probably wasn't great.  He went out on his own terms.  Better than most of us will get.  

Yes, i agree. Why do they try to stop people from suicide.

You should be able to go to a hospital, sign a paper, pay money to burn your body, and get a needle.

We can do for our dogs and cats .......... but people, no chance.

5 hours ago, digibum said:

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP.

Makes me appreciate my good health and all the good things I have.

Be happy and don't waist the day.

I could not agree more to your statements. May he RIP.

Happy I live in Netherlands, a country where euthanisia is regulated by law.

A person, in his full mind, may as a doctor to finish his/her live in case of unending pain and suffering.

11 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Happy I live in Netherlands, a country where euthanisia is regulated by law.

A person, in his full mind, may as a doctor to finish his/her live in case of unending pain and suffering.

Yes that is one of the good points of the Netherlands, no stupid religious people telling us what we can and can't do. We have both Euthanasia and abortion legal over there. 

17 hours ago, just bob said:

RIP

I don't think most people appreciate the courage it takes to end your life.  Sad that there is not a cleaner less painful medical option.

There is, a large bottle of Thai whisky and a plastic bag for your head.

This is very tragic and RIP .  But what is going on here?   The people in the background look like tourists taking pictures of a dead body .  What kind of people would do that ? And then upload to facebook ???    

p4a.jpg

It is instances like this that I wonder why this and successive governments haven't done more for welfare towards the elderly , and don't tell me there is no money available , just cut your extravagance in the defence area would cover the basics then axe a few over bloated institutions would do the trick......................................:coffee1:

45 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

What a courageous old man. No way will I ever be bed ridden and need total care 24/7. He is a hero in my book. R.I.P old man

Yes he was a courageous old man.

Your comment about never being bedridden and need total care are a bit off.

How can you say that? You never know what might happen to you.

I was coming home on my motorbike 5.00 pm hit by a pickup, in a coma  then unable to lift my hands to eat or anything for over 6 months.So my point is you cannot say no way will i ever need total care.