Retirement

1.  Exit and return on a 30 day visa exempt if from country getting them - then convert to non immigrant O if want to extend for retirement.

2.  Exit and obtain non immigrant O visa from a Thai Consulate with financial proof and over age 50 and return using that and extend.

3.  Exit and obtain new tourist visa and when over 50 convert and extend.

Does that date include the last entry you can do on or before the enter before date on your visa?

If that is the exact date you could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

After those 7 days you could go to the embassy in Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa.  You would need to show the same financial proof needed to apply for the extension but if money in the bank it will only need to be in the bank on the date you apply.

I would prefer to spend a few days in Laos myself - a trip to Luang Prabang and several days stay would not cost that much and I found that location to be very scenic (even when I was there in 1974) - from what I have read most people agree today.  Good French bread everywhere and Lao food quite good (although rather hot).  Nice mini-vacation while you age.  

Edited by lopburi3

I entered Thailand again on 11th December (My visa last entry before date is 29th Dec 2016)and the 60 days take me to 8th Feb and then another 30 extension take me to 10th March. 

I would like to get the leave to remain in the country for retirement purposes as soon as possible so that I can visit elderly parents in the UK again.

Does a Tourist visa need to be converted to a non - o and then converted to 1 year retirement extension or can I convert straight from Tourist visa?

You can only extend a non immigrant visa entry for retirement so that would mean staying about 60 days or more (as you extend during the last 30 or 45 days of allowed stay and non immigrant visa stay is 90 days.

What you could do is obtain the non immigrant visa in Laos and return and buy a re-entry permit to allow travel to UK and return before the 90 days are up - and then extend after you return on the re-entry permit.

12 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

Retirement takes hours marriage weeks

It does not take weeks to do the application for an extension based upon marriage. You only have to wait 30 days for the approval of it. Not a big deal and I can say that because if I am on my 9th one. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Hmmm...just checking also.... have NonB,, ends Dec 30... should leave Thailand come back on Tourist Visa and then apply for Marriage/Retirement Visa...

Which is fastest Marriage or Retirement?

You could apply for and extension based upon marriage or retirement of the the 90 day entry from non-b visa or change the reason for your extension of stay based upon work to either one without leaving the country.

If you left the country you should get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage instead of a tourist visa.

One way or another you're going to need to leave the country again before applying for the extension of stay.

If you exit/re-enter again on December 29th (last day possible) you'll get another 60 days, and a 30 day extension will take you to March 28th. But that’s probably not going to work because going from a tourist entry to an extension of stay is a three stage process, and you usually need at least 15 days of the tourist entry remaining when you apply. If the first day you can apply is March 15th you’d need permission to stay remaining until March 30th.

Your options would seem to be,

• Do a border hop at Nong Khai or Mukdahan around February 8th for a 30 day visa exempt entry (assuming you’re a Brit) which can be extended by 30 days. That 60 days will give you enough time to organize the change from tourist entry to non immigrant visa/entry after your 50th. It might need two trips to Bangkok if Udon aren't authorized to process the non 'O' application.
  • Extend your current stay by 30 days on February 8th, and do a border hop on or near to March 10th for a 30 day visa exempt entry.
  • Go to Vientiane or Savannakhet around February 8th and get a new SETV visa. That will give you 60 days plus another 30 if needed.
  • Go to Laos on or near March 10th. On your birthday you could apply for a Non ‘O’ visa, which you collect the next day. Spending a few days in Laos would avoid the need to change a tourist entry to non immigrant visa/entry. You'll get 90 days on re-entry and within the last 30 (maybe 45) days you can apply for the 1 year extension of stay. If you want to visit your parents during that 90 days, or after you’ve got the 1 year extension of stay, you can using a Single Entry Re-entry Permit (1,000 baht).
Edited by elviajero

15 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Is it available in Penang ? I am currently looking at the Penang website but having no luck finding the visa section.

Yes it is.

There used to be a downloadable PDF in English, but it seems to have disappeared. A Non 'O' based on being over 50 is still listed in Thai.

การเข้ามาเพื่อใช้ชีวิตในฐานะผู้สูงอายุ  (รหัส  O)
-  ผู้ร้องต้องมีอายุตั้งแต่ 50 ปีบริบูรณ์ขึ้นไป ระบุวัตถุประสงค์ว่าจะขอเข้ามาใช้ชีวิตในฐานะผู้สูงอายุหรือเกษียณ และจะไม่ทำงานในระหว่างพำนักในไทย 

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1287/19765-ประเภทและหลักเกณฑ์เกี่ยวกับการตรวจลงตราประเภทต่าง.html#NonImmigrantVisa

• Like 1

It does not take weeks to do the application for an extension based upon marriage. You only have to wait 30 days for the approval of it. Not a big deal and I can say that because if I am on my 9th one. 

Let me say it another way, the retirement visa can be completed in one trip the marriage visa you have to wait, 30 or so days.

Furthermore, the finicancal and documentation burden for the marriage visa is higher.

The downside of the retirement visa is that you can't work legally.

With kinds regards

Colin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Let me say it another way, the retirement visa can be completed in one trip the marriage visa you have to wait, 30 or so days.

Furthermore, the finicancal and documentation burden for the marriage visa is higher.

The downside of the retirement visa is that you can't work legally.

With kinds regards

Colin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Not sure what you mean by the financial documents being higher. It is the same other than being a lower amount and only 2 months for the money in the bank option.
I don't have to make the 2nd trip to immigration. My wife has done it for me for me 3 times already. Only one trip this year in fact.

Sent from my SM-T231 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

12 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

Never read any reports on here of anyone having to hang around in places such as Savannakhet for 30 days before they can obtain a non-O visa based on marriage!:smile:

Edited by OJAS

We are not talking about visas.  Extension of stay for marriage requires a 30 day under review period.  It also requires spouse to appear with applicant.  It also requires spouse paperwork and photos together around home.  It is also more likely to require on site interviews of applicants and neighbors.  These extras are often not appreciated by overworked immigration officials if applicant could be served by retirement extension of stay.

• Like 1