Marriage and divorce to a Thai lady.

TomCL

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Read my  statement 

I did, which point are you referencing precisely? The money growing on trees?

We dont know if she works or if he takes care of her. All we know is that he is concerned

Edited by stament

When I married my Thai wife, I was advised by attorneys to marry in the US (where we planned to live) so a divorce would be governed by US law only, and enter into a prenuptial agreement prior to marriage. 

I assume that advice would apply to you marrying in the UK as well. 

Tom C , You don't give enough information .

1)  Does your girlfrind live in Thailand or in England ?

2) If she lives in England , does she live with you ?

If she lives in Thailand , you have to have an income in excess of £18,000 per year in order to bring her to Britain .

If she lives in England , you would be subject to British law , so no need to ask in Thailand .  In British law she would be entitled to 50% of all your posessions .

Better to have a prenuptual agreement .

In Thailand there are 2 types of marriage , ampher , valid the world over .  In the event of divorce Thai law only involves what you have provided after marriage , not posessions in England or before marriage .  Thailand also has a simple Thai marriage which represents to a Thai family and friends a respectable relationship .

If you are near retirement age and thinking to retire in Thailand , I would recommend your waiting til then , getting a retirement visa ( Not Marriage Visa ) .  Once in Thailand you can then have the simple Thai village wedding , for which you have to provide gold and a certain sum of money you can afford , several 100,000baht , Not 1000,000baht . There are no legal ties , if things don't work out you can pack your bags and leave with no strings attached .  In Thailand you can only BUY a condominium in your name , don't buy a house , safer to lease or rent .

You are right to be apprehensive , Thai women are only interested in security and money , once you are married they have got you .  I have a successful marriage to a woman who is head teacher of a school , has her own house and farmland , children adult , her large family all successful professional people , no family leaches .  Thais are often seeling a means of supporting their poor family , a husband can be regarded as provider of money to send home to Thailand .  Many kind men here have lost everything they had .

1 hour ago, leither69 said:

If you Dont want to share with your future wife,  why would you marry her!!

I don't know the full situation here, but if the OP is working, and his wife (no matter what nationality) is not, then why should she automatically get half of his belongings and money etc in the event of a split? If it is proved that she is entirely innocent in the split, she should be entitled to something, ie, if the man committed adultery, but otherwise not.

I see plenty of advantages for a woman to be married given the state of the law in some countries, but I've yet to find even one reason that is advantageous to the man (given the old model of men provide and women hold the fort together).

One party here is providing for the other more than the reverse presumably, depending how you convert that to a conventional currency.  So we can talk about how it 'should' be, but how it pans out could be quite different.

If it were me I would (I do) live in rented accommodation so that there is no house matter (my UK assets are in family relations name not mine, so they're off the table straight away).

If you can afford it I would give her a financial gift that is too tempting to ignore, so she can look after herself without you, and see if she's in it for the money or for the 'thick & thin' of the relationship.  You might not like the answer or you might be ecstatic, but either way you will have closure. 

To me, marriage is either a religious thing or a tax thing (or both).  Does this fit the bill for what you're hoping for?

Pre-nups are known to have a very high relationship failure rate.  Perhaps because it implies that you're only 'one foot in'.

40 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

When I married my Thai wife, I was advised by attorneys to marry in the US (where we planned to live) so a divorce would be governed by US law only, and enter into a prenuptial agreement prior to marriage. 

I assume that advice would apply to you marrying in the UK as well. 

When I was married and got divorced in Scotland, my wife tried to go for half of everything, there was no prenup, all she got was 500GBP, I got everything else, the money for the sale of the house, the furniture, car, what was in the bank etc.

If you have been living together in the Uk for 4 month's,she has been able to make a claim for the last 3.5 years.English law makes it possible for a live in to be able to come at you after 6 month's.You have no children by a previous marriage,then she could not claim 50% of your residence until the children reached 18 or went into further education.If she hires a smart ass lawyer( she can get legal aid,if she is claiming benefits)It usually happens after your Thai partner,meets the Thai community in your area.They will quickly advise her of her rights.This happens to many men who have a Thai bride or a substantiated live in.Many Thai women leave their country to marry or live with their partner/husband,without knowing what they can do,she meets up with the other thai wives,crucifies the spouse and returns to Thailand,a lot richer than when she left.

A friend of mine learned the hard way,he had his parents home,after their demise.He also had money in the bank.She got pregnant.After a while she was told what to do.One night she smacked herself around the face and body a few times,and ran to the nearest battered wives home(taking the kid) She was given a flat and soon filed for divorce on the grounds of cruelty and other.It went to court,she got most of the house(he had to sell and give her the money that the court awarded her, and his saving's,and child support,she nearly drove him to suicide.She went back to Thailand with a shitload of money,far better off than when she left.He hasn't heard from her for 3 years now.He stopped the child support.I only hope that her family(many of which she didnt know existed) quickly helped them selves.The child,now, is probably in the care of the grandparents,and god only knows what the wife is doing now.Soon after she left,he got a letter saying that if he wanted to see the child,he would have to continue with the support payments.She also warned him that if he refused,she would give his passport number and other details to immigration and sue him for desertion.He is now terrified to try and enter Thailand(trying to find out where she is) for fear of arrest and jail time.

What a bloody mess.And they say that Thai girls are stupid.Go figure!.

without a prenup, the law where you (ore your wife, whatever comes first) file for divorce is applicable...

( next is all in a nutshell explanation)

Thailand: all assets from before the marriage stay with the original person. 

all assets after the date of marriage are 50/50 

Its unsure where the Thai lady is, coz the OP forgot to mention that, so unsure about a defacto relation in the UK

I am assuming from the post that you and your girlfriend are both in the UK, if this is the case then any marriage is subject to UK law etc, and any subsequent divorce is also subject to U.K. Law if processed within the UK. I am guessing she would not necessarily be able to claim your house etc, but, depending on how long the marriage lasts, would be intitled to be looked after in the manner to which she was accustomed during the marriage. This of course is dependant on the decision of courts etc. 

On the other hand, if as your post could indicate, the property is in Thailand, and if you are planning to marry in Thailand, then there are differences, basically, what is yours before marriage remains yours etc.

also, it is not easy for courts to chase and uphold decisions across the two countries. 

Step carefully !!!!

But, assuming you have been together for four years etc, the idea of going into a marriage is usually based on love etc etc and not based on who gets what if you divorce, also, why are you contemplating a marriage if you are indeed already thinking about it ending in divorce etc ????

you are effectively answering your own query ---- Don't get married !!!!

1 hour ago, Toscano said:

If she lives in Thailand , you have to have an income in excess of £18,000 per year in order to bring her to Britain .

If she lives in England , you would be subject to British law , so no need to ask in Thailand .  In British law she would be entitled to 50% of all your posessions .

In Thailand there are 2 types of marriage , ampher , valid the world over .  In the event of divorce Thai law only involves what you have provided after marriage , not posessions in England or before marriage .  Thailand also has a simple Thai marriage which represents to a Thai family and friends a respectable relationship .

If you are near retirement age and thinking to retire in Thailand , I would recommend your waiting til then , getting a retirement visa ( Not Marriage Visa ) .  Once in Thailand you can then have the simple Thai village wedding , for which you have to provide gold and a certain sum of money you can afford , several 100,000baht , Not 1000,000baht . There are no legal ties , if things don't work out you can pack your bags and leave with no strings attached .  In Thailand you can only BUY a condominium in your name , don't buy a house , safer to lease or rent .

You are right to be apprehensive , Thai women are only interested in security and money , once you are married they have got you .  I have a successful marriage to a woman who is head teacher of a school , has her own house and farmland , children adult , her large family all successful professional people , no family leaches .  Thais are often seeling a means of supporting their poor family , a husband can be regarded as provider of money to send home to Thailand .  Many kind men here have lost everything they had .

Great all of what you say is right, but the sin sot think is up to a lot of things like has she kids has she been married that way before or was she ex bar .

the gold bs is up to him , like I tell my new thai gf not getting married no village bs and the gold will came after 3 or 4 years together and as long as she not give me bs and I am the same   not give her bs it will happen.

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What does MGTOW mean? Another poster who is TLTUTK.

Men going their own way.

Not giving a damn about what certain aspects of society would demand of them.

Trove of articles can be found online, try "A Voice for Men" as an introduction.

I suggest the OP gets straight advice from a Uk-based lawyer, where any divorce procedure seems likely to occur. If in Thailand, you'd need a Thai Law expert - doesn't seem to be too many here from what I've read. A pre-nuptial agreement is valid in either country. Apart from that, advice from a lawyer before marriage would be at least as useful as any from a religious counsellor. Further, in Thailand, courts only consider assets amassed during the marriage for division between spouses in a property settlement.  Nothing either party possesses before marriage is subject to property settlement.  some of the horror stories related in this thread have to be fantasy, or the "robbed" male spouse had to be a moron to enable a wife to get away with some of the claims asserted here. Traditionally, Thai courts will give advantage to the male spouse as the 'breadwinner' in disputed property settlements; Thai women are well aware of that bias and will mostly prefer a settlement rather than take the risk of a court hearing - unless extraordinary circumstances apply.

20 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Men going their own way.

Not giving a damn about what certain aspects of society would demand of them.

Trove of articles can be found online, try "A Voice for Men" as an introduction.

What are you going on about man 

men going their own way ?

2 hours ago, leither69 said:

Yes she deserves something,  maybe you Dont understand the concept of marriage!!!!!!

A genuine marriage is about companionship,  trust,  love,  respect etc etc etc etc etc etc 

Sounds like your are confusing marriage to a prostitution transaction. 

They are completely different  btw

7 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Nationality of being a Thai lady would be irrelevant.

Your enquiries need to be within the UK focusing on pre-nuptial agreements and de-facto separation if you decide against getting hitched, simple search produces UK articles like the following, do some initial research then use a solicitor if required.

https://www.family-lawfirm.co.uk/how-we-help/other/prenuptial-agreements

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/dividing-the-family-home-and-mortgage-during-separation#understanding-how-the-home-can-be-divided 

If she loves you she will sign a prenup. If not red flag number one. 

6 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

£80,000 house in the UK? What part of England is that? I did not think there was houses at that price anymore.

2 up 2 down terraces in Anfield or Bootle (Liverpool) at half that price, need a bit of TLC,  zoopla, a national UK real estate website is worth a check for any property type if interested.

2 hours ago, Toscano said:

Because they didn't know how to say no.

1 hour ago, kovaltech said:

without a prenup, the law where you (ore your wife, whatever comes first) file for divorce is applicable...

( next is all in a nutshell explanation)

Thailand: all assets from before the marriage stay with the original person. 

all assets after the date of marriage are 50/50 

Its unsure where the Thai lady is, coz the OP forgot to mention that, so unsure about a defacto relation in the UK

Pre nups are a lawyers picnic.What ever contract you make can not over rule the law of the land.You can't waive your rights.

This subject really has nothing to do with Thailand as such.

After 4 years living with a lady in the UK  (or anywhere) she has a right to stake a claim to some of your joint assets.

Prenup is the way to go, but she may get her nose outa joint when you ask her to sign it

6 hours ago, bangkoken said:

Pre-nuptial agreements are very common here in Thailand and must be registered at the same time as the marriage and must be made in Thai and English language. I had one prepared by a very competent firm called Kingdom Law Group here in Bangkok. If you want peace of mind have it done, I did.

He's in England.