Tourists warned to dispose less garbage during festive season

webfact

4 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Yes, you are wrong.   Most tourists in Thailand are Thai.

True.

Thai tourists outnumber foreign tourists at about 5:1 according to Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul based on tourism in 2016Q2. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935682-thai-tourism-min-foresees-growth-in-tourism-sector-throughout-the-year/

But the government needs foreign tourists as foreign tourists generate marginally more revenue than domestic tourists.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decades later they notice the mounting rubbish piles and realise that there's a problem... 

In a few more decades they'll figure out that the rubbish has to be COLLECTED and DISPOSED of properly... 

5 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Yes, you are wrong.   Most tourists in Thailand are Thai.

What!!! Half the country are tourists,30 million.I don't think so.But what the lack in quantity,they certainly make up in quantity.

Had a re think,over the new year period probably correct.

Edited by louse1953

2 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

What!!! Half the country are tourists,30 million.I don't think so.But what the lack in quantity,they certainly make up in quantity.

Had a re think,over the new year period probably correct.

Over 37 million Thais traveled domestically during the second quarter 2016.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935682-thai-tourism-min-foresees-growth-in-tourism-sector-throughout-the-year/

TAT considers them domestic tourists.

Lots of perception problems with the word tourist as probably the first thought is of foreign visitors.

Many Thais travel at holidays but don't think of themselves as tourists as they stay with relatives, eat at home etc as opposed to those who live in hotels and eat out.

It suits the Minister of Tourism to call as many people as possible ' tourists ' to inflate her already dodgy figures.  

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Just another blatant example of how hostile this government is to tourists. The welcome mat is long, long gone. Go ahead, continue destroying an industry that many hundreds of billions of dollars have been invested in, and continue to dissuade tourists from coming here, or returning, ever again. Good job guys! Hooray! You are crippling an industry that took 40 years to build, and sustains millions of your people. Good job! 

Fortunately, the Thai people remain warm, helpful, and kind, and make it a pleasure to visit, on alot of levels. But, the powers that be are behaving in an abominable fashion. Shame on them. 

In a country that puts zero emphasis on the ill effects of plastic consumption, this kind of message is lame, ill conceived, insincere, and coming way too late in the game. The lack of progressive policy here when it comes to plastic consumption, and recycling makes Thailand stand out, as one of the few developing countries with perhaps the greatest degree of apathy toward it's own environment, on the planet. 

Just another example of how Little P is NOT moving his country forward. Why do the Thai people not see this? 

Just another example of somebody who did not read the thread and is barking up the wrong tree.

Stevenl has just confirmed what we all suspected.......that, since we have to understand that in Thailand the word "tourist" does not necessarily mean "foreigners", then TATs "tourist" numbers are indeed inflated by millions of Thais just moving about their own country.  As many of them are probably just visiting members of their own (extended) families, this would explain why many posters on here who are associated with the tourist industry constantly complain about the lack of visitors to their guest houses, hotels and restaurants.

Or does he want us also to understand that TAT's interpretation of "tourist" is somewhat different to his own and different to the one he expects us to believe?

7 hours ago, smedly said:

ok so tourists are being blamed for garbage in Thailand..........................well why not ban them all then you won't have a garbage problem ............................ seriously

sorry I couldn't think of anything sensible to say to this ..................garbage

whoever made this statement should be sent to the garbage pits on the islands with a shovel and a wheel barrow - hey this is now your responsibility - get digging.......

shocking

check tourists suitcases at the airport for garbage.......it must be coming from somewhere

Please note.....

The Health Department has appealed to tourists and members of the public 

Not only tourists. It is an appeal to all in the community.

The only issue I see is insufficient and or convenient places to put rubbish. This is the real issue, not people being irresponsible in the way they dispose of stuff.

2 hours ago, elwood said:

Why are you so determined to make this into a Thais against foreigners article?

Read the first line of the post again;

"The Health Department has appealed to tourists and members of the public"

Not trying to make this into a Thai against foreigner thing, but if you ask Thais what a tourist is, they will most likely answer that a Tourist is a foreigner.  

The tourist thing is not necessarily reference to foreigners, loads of Thai tourist groups almost everywhere. And even foreign tourists are not necessarily Westerners, unless mistaken most are Chinese nowadays. From my experience and from what I hear, these two groups of tourists are the main culprits. That's without taking anything away from locals, as in residents.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It would not be hard to do the same here, but it would require some prolonged effort so is unlikely to happen. That said, the BTS in Bangkok is clean, so clearly it isnt completely impossible.

and of course the Royal Parks are not littered.

48 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Stevenl has just confirmed what we all suspected.......that, since we have to understand that in Thailand the word "tourist" does not necessarily mean "foreigners", then TATs "tourist" numbers are indeed inflated by millions of Thais just moving about their own country.  As many of them are probably just visiting members of their own (extended) families, this would explain why many posters on here who are associated with the tourist industry constantly complain about the lack of visitors to their guest houses, hotels and restaurants.

Or does he want us also to understand that TAT's interpretation of "tourist" is somewhat different to his own and different to the one he expects us to believe?

The Original "Zero Baht" holidays.....Thailand is a Hub.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

True.

Thai tourists outnumber foreign tourists at about 5:1 according to Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul based on tourism in 2016Q2. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935682-thai-tourism-min-foresees-growth-in-tourism-sector-throughout-the-year/

But the government needs foreign tourists as foreign tourists generate marginally more revenue than domestic tourists.

Do thai tourists generate revenue.... or just spend their money at a different location

the aim of domestic tourism, is to stop Thais from leaving the country, and spending abroad.

so... the question is really more on the change in numbers of those choosing to stay in Thailand vs leaving

Absurd!   Maybe tourists' bags should be checked on arrival  to ensure they have brought there own plates, bowls, cups, cutlery etc. Lord give me strength!

It should be : 'vendors warned not to sell food & drink  in carcinogenic styofoam, plastic bags with straws plastic spoons, etc.'. Start with 7/11.

1 hour ago, akampa said:

In Germany you have to pay for plastic bag in a supermarket ,if you buy a can or bottle  drink there is a surcharge ,when you return the can or bottle a refund is given ,could  be doable here maybe perhaps .:cheesy::cheesy:

Makro chalong already charge for bags... you take your own, or buy one.

with recyclables... I take all my plastic, bottles and cans down to the rag n bone man, once a week ( and anything else I think he may have a use for)

i also recently noticed a donation shop, beside chalong police station, where unwanted items can be deposited.

Domestic rubbish, is collected by the smelly council truck, once a week, for the exorbitant fee of 500 baht

but... this does not address the lack of municipal supplied bins, conveniently located on the sidewalk ( maybe they are there, hidden by the illegal walkway vendors?).... Or rubbish generated by households who choose not to pay the 500 baht annual fee

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Rather alarming considering the ever increasing numbers of tourists. Time to impose a garbage levy on all entering the country. :wacko:

At one time blue bins where just around the corner... the price I was told was shared by rental landlords give payment to remove weekly garbage... now no body wants to pay for Blue Barrels and lots of unsorted garbage in bush pushed along side of the road...terrible..I as a Canadian...separate glass..wash re-cycle plastic bottles..wash out cans and plastics housing products placed in very large garbage bag. I would love to separate my greens as compost not possible. Can anyone suggest how Thai's can follow this simple  3 R's....Reduce..Re-cyle ...and Re-use.