Should I be worried?

BangkokTony

Yesterday, Saturday, I saw a legal advisor (from England)about my will.  I found him via Facebook page which seems legitimate.  Upon asking the price for a simple will, leaving all bank assets to my 2 daughters he gave me a price of 3.000 baht. Thinking it was a good price I arranged to meet him in Sukhumvit. We met in a cafe because he said he was in the process of moving office etc

I gave him photo copies of my passport and Bank account details so he could process the will. 

I have made plans to meet tomorrow, Monday to receive the will (again, in the same cafe). He said no receipt will be given because of the low price.

Should I worry that he has access to my bank details and passport?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is he doing that you can not do yourself, if he is a qualified lawyer, he would need to be registered in Thailand, did he give you his business card? I would be very loath to give someone I dont know a copy of my passport and bank details.

I don't understand why he needed your bank account details. The will should written flexibly, without need to mention specific accounts, since who knows what accounts you may open or close in the future.

And does "legal advisor" translate to solicitor or lawyer?

The same thing happened to a friend of mine .

The Lawyer made a mistake and accidentally put himself as the sole beneficiary .

On the way to the Lawyers office , my friend got got caught up an armed robbery, got caught in the cross fire and got shot in the head, died instantly

Just now, BangkokTony said:

I thought maybe the account numbers (2 accounts) were not needed, but i thought it would expedite matters upon my demise. He did not ask for the amount in the accounts. 

So you gave you bank account numbers even though they were not requested...the mind boggles.

22 minutes ago, taxout said:

I don't understand why he needed your bank account details. The will should written flexibly, without need to mention specific accounts, since who knows what accounts you may open or close in the future.

And does "legal advisor" translate to solicitor or lawyer?

On the business card it says 'Regional Legal Counsel'...so maybe not solicitor or lawyer

28 minutes ago, BangkokTony said:

At the time it seemed the right thing to do when discussing a will.  I will ask him for his ID tomorrow.  Also I will have a pic taken with him. I regret doing it now.

555, tomorrow he will most likely be gone and your bank accounts empty. But hey, at least you got a business card !!!

Edited by Don Mega

How can OP's bank account be emptied just because somebody got the details?

That being said and this "nice" offer on 3000baht for a will sounds too good to be true and you should go the the bank and freeze the account as a precaution. 

Open a new bank account in another bank.

Many expats here are doggy and I don't trust many- most of the ones I meet, especially when money are involved.

2 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

How can OP's bank account be emptied just because somebody got the details?

That being said and this "nice" offer on 3000baht for a will sounds too good to be true and you should go the the bank and freeze the account as a precaution. 

Open a new bank account in another bank.

Many expats here are doggy and I don't trust many- most of the ones I meet, especially when money are involved.

Account numbers, passport, email address and now a request for physical address, Sounds like someone is gearing up to steal someones identity.

7 minutes ago, chubby said:

do you have like $5000  to leave to your daughters. 

you know, did you ever think to ask for a reference from other of his clients, before giving him your PIN code to your bank ?

You should go to spec savers mate as clearly your eyes are not functioning as they should.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Don't know --but ask the Nigerians, they seem to do it with even less info.

Seems that if you highlight something & press the Quote button the forum puts into whoever posted it last & not the poster---- I just done it with what I posted to show you----