Luxury family holiday destination - where ?

SGD

The last couple of times we've been to Rayavadee before that JW / Marriotts in Samui, Phuket, Bangkok, rented a villa with pool in Hua Hin and a few other non chain places and now we're struggling for a couple of 10/14 day breaks in both August and December 2017.

We like the beach but we need a large pool. Large not only in absolute sense but also in the sense of large relative to the number of people using it. A large pool at a 500 room hotel is not going to work but a smaller pool at a 50 room hotel would appear much larger.

Not interested in cities up north; we tend to go there for shorter breaks. Flying out of Bangkok is fine. The Southern border is off limits for obvious reasons.

Travel party is 2 adults and a 10 year old. We need at least a large junior suite or 2 bed accommodation but not 2 rooms in a hotel - child isn't old enough for that - connecting might be ok.

Budget in the Bt5-20k per day, more for something extra special. Don't want to have to drive anywhere or be totally isolated. The JW Marriott in Khao Lak felt too far from anywhere as really was the JW in Phuket.

Doesn't have to be a chain hotel but not worried if it is. Good food, nice rooms, large pool, relaxing atmosphere.

All ideas welcome. Thanks.

Nextdoor to the Rayong Marriott there are luxury condo´s to rent, well equipped, wifi, wonderful breeze  off the sea 8000 sq/m pools / slides shared with Marriott, use of Marriott privilege card giving 30% discount at Marriott (weekdays) Here is link to one of the 2 bedroom for rent. Beach side so no roads to cross  https://www.blocket.se/uppsala/Mae_Phim_Thailand_Luxury_beachfront_condo_166_68225312.htm?ma=1

Mango Beach Resort in Khlong Yai, Trat is excellent. 

Its on the southeastern side and so perfectly safe about 30 Ks from the border. 

It has a very large , well maintained pool , has all sorts of beach equipment such as kayaks, SUPs etc. ,plus bicycles, a fitness room, spa , full service restaurants and a bar by the sea.

A speedboat will take you out to the islands for snorkeling, lunch etc. 

It also has larger bungalows by the beach that I believe would easily accommodate the three of you.

it is a bit isolated but we found no reason to leave the well attended grounds. 

5 hours ago, pipeflaw said:

I know you've been to Samui, but the Tongsai Bay Hotel meets or exceeds all your criteria.  I would recommend a 2-bedroom hillside villa with the large, covered outdoor space (with jacuzzi).  It is idyllic.

There are many resorts at Samui meeting OP's criteria, especially in the up-end of the budget.

Apart from the Tongsai area, it's also worth looking at Nora Beach Resort at northern Chaweng area, and some of the resorts at Bo Phut – using Google-map is excellent to look earth and beach views (I just set the marker at the beach, not at a particular resort), and from there click into the various resort's home page. Bo Phut is quiet, yet central with Fisherman Village for a huge variety of gourmet dining, and evening markets twice a week, and the new The Wharf shopping mall...

Edited by khunPer

On 12/26/2016 at 2:52 AM, catinthehat said:

Seychelles all the way

On 12/26/2016 at 1:56 AM, malt25 said:

Tahiti, Fiji, Hawaii, Australia, Greek Islands. The choice is endless. Enjoy.

Sorry, I meant in Thailand for these trips.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:25 AM, pipeflaw said:

I know you've been to Samui, but the Tongsai Bay Hotel meets or exceeds all your criteria.  I would recommend a 2-bedroom hillside villa with the large, covered outdoor space (with jacuzzi).  It is idyllic.

Been there. Didn't rate it to be honest.

The owner's son went to university in Norwich and was a spoilt brat, though he may have mellowed with the passing few years. Ran the restaurant but didn't care.

I also thought their flexibility whilst in resort poor, their maintenance also lacking and their food not up to the job.

It may have improved but the beach is quasi artificial or reclaimed and the sand is hard and near hurting / cutting your feet to walk on.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:40 AM, abrahamzvi said:

I would suggest the W Hotel in Koh Samui. They have beautiful suits, a marvelous beach and a swimming pool which fits your requirements. Very friendly staff and excellent restaurants.

We've been looking at this one but I still need a bit of convincing that Bt30-35,000 per night is acceptable.

I discounted another Soneva hotel which looks fantastic but reports from guests of massages at Bt10/15,000 for an hour or two plus other charges which bear no credible link to reality put me off. Dropping Bt10/15k for a half/day in the spa is fine but it would piss me off if they wanted Bt30k for instance.

17 hours ago, SGD said:

We've been looking at this one but I still need a bit of convincing that Bt30-35,000 per night is acceptable.

I discounted another Soneva hotel which looks fantastic but reports from guests of massages at Bt10/15,000 for an hour or two plus other charges which bear no credible link to reality put me off. Dropping Bt10/15k for a half/day in the spa is fine but it would piss me off if they wanted Bt30k for instance.

30,000 baht per night !  15,000 baht for 1/2 day spa !  Are they typos or are you smoking some really good shit ?

18 hours ago, SGD said:

I think a little bargaining by you could bring the price down to around BT 25,000. That' s what we paid earlier in the year for a superb suit. Ask to speak to the GM and tell him that a very pleased guest recommended the hotel at the price of about Bt25k

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

I think a little bargaining by you could bring the price down to around BT 25,000. That' s what we paid earlier in the year for a superb suit. Ask to speak to the GM and tell him that a very pleased guest recommended the hotel at the price of about Bt25k

Thanks. I did the same with the Hilton in Hua Hin when I wanted a few suites for a few days.

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

30,000 baht per night !  15,000 baht for 1/2 day spa !  Are they typos or are you smoking some really good shit ?

No, not typos.

You don't think you get top end luxury with premium amounts of space and a low density of rooms to resort size for Bt1000 a day do you ?

I don't fly economy either but who would if you had the choice ?

34 minutes ago, SGD said:

No, not typos.

You don't think you get top end luxury with premium amounts of space and a low density of rooms to resort size for Bt1000 a day do you ?

I don't fly economy either but who would if you had the choice ?

I rarely stay @ 1,000 baht accommodation & usually fly business when it's available. However I'm a bit surprised that someone with your budget would be seeking advice from us mere plebs on TV.

You wanna adopt a granddad ?

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

:biggrin: If one wish the more up-end luxury at Samui, like a beach-front 2-bed bungalow/villa in a resort, with the full service package, one easily spent 30k a night – it's actually in the "budget level" – if you wish the privacy that comes with some reasonable distance to neighboring gusts, and a certain level of space and luxury, you will pay from double as much till four times as much a night...:whistling:

And as Samui has the highest concentration of many-star luxury hotels in Thailand, OP's questions makes good sense. If it's then worth the money, is only a question of life-style and what one can afford...:smile:

You might look at Centara in Krabi - water taxi as it is off to itself, wild monkeys visit, can take day trips to islands, nice pool but I do not know ifthe population to sq meters will fit your personal algorithm of what is acceptable... 

Been there had amazing time with my wife and kid .... Yes those monkeys did visit us for a bed in breakfast lol

On December 27, 2559 BE at 1:58 PM, SGD said:

Interesting question of value... I can imagine some of the expenses if my life were different. When I want a massage, I go to the local upcountry temple and get a great massage from highly trained and caring professionals for 100 baht an hour. I give a well deserved 100 baht tip and still come out cheaper than any tourist areas... there could be no, or little, added value for me in having this done for much much more in an expensive resort... 

I do like nice grounds, gardens, beachfront, but there seems a limit as to added value in going really expensive.