TrueVisions May Stop Showing HBO, Cinemax Sunday

webfact

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm sure it just a matter of getting older, but it seems the older I get the less desire I have to watch movies...or maybe that's because of the nature/subject of movies now days.  I prefer to watch news, TV series, documentaries, history, scientific type shows.    Now, I still like to watch movies, just not nearly as much as I use to.  

Well, True has already removed Discovery Science. At the time, one of the news stories quoted Truevisions as saying that Discovery was cancelling the channel for broadcast in Asia.  As you can see from this link, it's still on air. http://www.discoverychannelasia.com/tv-listings/discovery-science/

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jgm005 said:

As all can see the wife got it all wrong. I called in twice today (01/01/17) and spoke to two different CSR's about the 'where is the discount' I requested 29 December.  "Oh sorry sir we can not give now".  Nothing more can be said.

Will bet interesting to see if us folks who did get a discount (I got 30% for 3 months by calling TrueVisions) whether the discount actually appears on the next bill....or there is some other bill surprise.  

And it would be a real bitch if the discounts they have given some people gets overruled by a very recent TrueVisions change in policy (flip-flop) not to provide any discounts nor honor the discounts they have made to some folks over the last week or so.   Maybe just too many people are calling/demanding a discount and True has decided they just can't offer any more people discounts....instead, will just ride out the initial storm of customer complaints to see how many customers actually cancel or downgrade their packages.  Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm sure it just a matter of getting older, but it seems the older I get the less desire I have to watch movies...or maybe that's because of the nature/subject of movies now days.  I prefer to watch news, TV series, documentaries, history, scientific type shows.    Now, I still like to watch movies, just not nearly as much as I use to.  

I think its about attention span... or rather, engaging your attention

The old saying, "there's nothing new under the sun" comes to mind, in that, you've seen it before, in one form or another, and it takes more to keep you entertained, resulting in less tolerance for lengthy movies, and more viewing of half hour to one hour shows.

Specifics on IPTV please.

Lots of people suggesting IPTV here, even some people going so far as to mention Kodi.  Good, right, great, in theory IPTV is the way to get around TrueSkinflints and Kodi is for sure the app to use, but can anyone please recommend a decent video addon for Kodi that actually streams watchable video in Thailand? (Kodi's core software is just a media player, you need 'addons' to stream video) I've tried dozens and none of them work in any way that comes close to what anyone could call reliable. It probably doesn't help that I'm also getting my internet from True, but I am paying for the 20m package.

Anyone got any specifics? You can just turn Kodi on and it works? Right away? Don't have to try 3 different services to see which might be working today? Doesn't drop out every 30 seconds?

I'm more than happy to pay for a decent service but all the paid services I look at just seem to offer channels that are easily available for free. Do any of them actually work?

Just spoke to True

NO DISCOUNTS

THEY DONT CARE IF I CANCEL

THEY ARE SENDING US "Black cards" which give discounts on junk food.

I will buy latest Apple TV and upgrade my fibre to 100Mb. I will never pay UnTrue another penny.

53 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Just spoke to True

NO DISCOUNTS

THEY DONT CARE IF I CANCEL

THEY ARE SENDING US "Black cards" which give discounts on junk food.

I will buy latest Apple TV and upgrade my fibre to 100Mb. I will never pay UnTrue another penny.

But that is the business "strategy" here.  Never give a discount.  Nobody in the hotels? Raise the prices. Stuck with last year's model for cars or motorcycles? Hang on until they rust; musn't lose possible profit. Expiration date on food? Cover it up with a sticker and try to sell again.

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

True is the worst..I hope many people cancel their subscriptions

If people do cancel, True will probably raise the rates on those that remain in order to make up the difference. 3200/month for platinum coming soon.

35 minutes ago, Lingba said:

how stupid can they be???...when everyone cancels out, what will they do?...the rational is beyond belief

Pretty stupid I expect.  

I bet there are some executives within TrueVisions losing some serious face over the inability to come to agreement with HBO for another contract and getting a bunch social media and media negative press.

Could have been as simple as HBO wanted the same price as before but True wanted a significant discount.   Or mabye HBO wanted a lot more but I doubt it. 

6 minutes ago, Usernames said:

If people do cancel, True will probably raise the rates on those that remain in order to make up the difference. 3200/month for platinum coming soon.

Naw...they are not that stupid....they know that would drive people away in droves.   If anything, since TrueOnline has had to drop the prices of their higher speed internet plans by 3 fold just over the last few months due to AIS (which includes some TV) and 3BB competition/much cheaper prices, maybe TrueVisions will need to do the same with some of their TV packages such as Platinum and Gold even though TrueVisions is the 800 pound guerrilla for paid cable/satellite TV in Thailand.

Edited by Pib

Just found this.

" TrueVisions’ customer-relief plan was rejected yesterday by the broadcasting regulator’s consumer protection subcommittee after the pay TV operator announced plans to cancel six popular channels on Jan 1. The subcommittee asked TrueVisions to resubmit its plan by mid-January. “TrueVisions’ customer- -relief plan is not fair and is inappropriate,” said Supinya Klangnarong, a broadcasting commissioner of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC)" https://www.aseanbreakingnews.com/2016/12/truevisions-relief-plan-rejected/

3 minutes ago, Valentine said:

A decent reporter would simply contact HBO & ask why did True drop them.

According to the Bangkok Post 27 December online edition, which means I must paraphrase here: someone in the industry reported that TrueVisions was unable to come to terms with HBO because HBOs rights fees were too high (this doesn't indicate whether an increase was asked or if "too high" simply meant that Truevisions thought they were already paying too much. The same source also indicated that the Cinemax and HBO would move to AIS' playbox. I do hope the latter is true, because when I switched from True Online to AIS two months ago, I got the AIS playbox for free.

21 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Just found this.

" TrueVisions’ customer-relief plan was rejected yesterday by the broadcasting regulator’s consumer protection subcommittee after the pay TV operator announced plans to cancel six popular channels on Jan 1. The subcommittee asked TrueVisions to resubmit its plan by mid-January. “TrueVisions’ customer- -relief plan is not fair and is inappropriate,” said Supinya Klangnarong, a broadcasting commissioner of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC)" https://www.aseanbreakingnews.com/2016/12/truevisions-relief-plan-rejected/

The article said TrueVisions has 3.8 million subscribers with 100,000 being on the Platinum package which is the most affected....didn't mention how many was on the Gold package which is also affected.  The percentage of customers on the Platinum package works out to be 2.6% of the total customer bases....largely farangs I expect.    Now I expect a much larger percentage is on the Gold package....if I had to guess at least 10%.  That's a totals up to around 13% of the customers on Gold and Platinum.   I can now better under why TrueVisions is just trying to blow this off as the majority of their customer will not be affected by dropping HBO/Cinemax.

And if correct about AIS possibly picking up HBO, then that is great....as I have AIS Fibre with their Playbox (Android box that shows their IPTV and does other stuff depending on what apps you load).

Edited by Pib

If you have AIS Fibre internet you can subscriber to a varity of Movie/TV Series/Teens/Kids packages.  Can not complain one bit about the resolution/picture quality....it's excellent.  But you need to be comfortable is using the their Playbox which is nothing more than an Android box.    

http://www.ais.co.th/playbox/en/package.html

HOOQ is one of the packages which usually comes free with your first 12 months with AIS Fibre internet....HOOQ normal monthly cost is Bt119.    The other mentioned packages are add-on packages ranging from Bt119 to Bt150 per month.    HOOQ boosts 10,000 titles but that includes movies in a lot of non-English and non-Thai language also...and I'm pretty sure the "each" episode of say a TV show series gets counted towards that 10K total.  I've been using it more and more to watch English and a few TV shows movies....not a huge selection and they are not the newest movies either.     

Also, I expect (guess) the various package movies/TV shows are mirrored on AIS servers here in Thailand because I've never had any problem in streaming a movie/show....and you can fast forward to say near the end of a move and almost instantly it's playing.  

Maybe something to check out if you have AIS although these services can be loaded/viewed on a non-AIS system also....you just need to download/install thee services/packages on your device and pay whatever the subscription price is.

5 hours ago, Usernames said:

Well, True has already removed Discovery Science. At the time, one of the news stories quoted Truevisions as saying that Discovery was cancelling the channel for broadcast in Asia.  As you can see from this link, it's still on air. http://www.discoverychannelasia.com/tv-listings/discovery-science/

They removed the DMAX and EVE channels at the same time last October - which also both still appear to be alive and kicking (although EVE may now be called Home & Health):-

http://www.discoverychannelasia.com/dmax/

http://www.discoverychannelasia.com/tv-listings/home-and-health

So True were clearly us telling porkies about these 3 channels being discontinued on the grounds that Discovery had pulled the plug on them in Asia!

Tonight is Saturday Night Fever..  that's another movie that HBO would just never play, actually I don't think I have ever seen it or I have not seen it for a very long time.  Fact is that there are alot of movies that HBO cannot play, and when you have 4 HBO channels-it was just the same bad movies on 4 different channels.  Paramount with the 2 True movie channels is AS GOOD if not better that HBO.  I don't understand what you guys see in HBO, they always play BAD movies!  If anything I would have been PISSED if they had removed the Sundance Channel.  Fox Movies is better than HBO as well. HBO can <deleted> off. HBO is like starbuks or mcdonalds, their not very good and better options are available but you people are just 'trained' to think HBO is somehow so excellent because it had this heyday back in the early 1980's.  HBO sucks, 'The Girls' sucks, 'Divorse' sucks-those 2 >deleted> are fat and ugly.. 

14 hours ago, pkspeaker said:

Tonight is Saturday Night Fever..  that's another movie that HBO would just never play, actually I don't think I have ever seen it or I have not seen it for a very long time.  Fact is that there are alot of movies that HBO cannot play, and when you have 4 HBO channels-it was just the same bad movies on 4 different channels.  Paramount with the 2 True movie channels is AS GOOD if not better that HBO.  I don't understand what you guys see in HBO, they always play BAD movies!  If anything I would have been PISSED if they had removed the Sundance Channel.  Fox Movies is better than HBO as well. HBO can <deleted> off. HBO is like starbuks or mcdonalds, their not very good and better options are available but you people are just 'trained' to think HBO is somehow so excellent because it had this heyday back in the early 1980's.  HBO sucks, 'The Girls' sucks, 'Divorse' sucks-those 2 <deleted> are fat and ugly.. 

Stop beating around the bush and just say what you think !......Lol.

9 hours ago, Usernames said:

I noticed that the Paramount channel actually stops the movie in order to run channel promos. That happened to Urban Cowboy as I was channel surfing this morning. Also noticed on another one of the replacement channels they were running a Steven Seagal movie and bleeping out the curse words. It's all actually worse than I expected.

Yep they did that with Saturday Night Fever as well - abruptly interrupted the movie every 20-30 minutes for BS repetitive self-promotion, and bleeped out most of the profanity. Are we not adults paying a premium fee? 

17 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

My True channels seem to be have been upgraded by one package level. Maybe they're trying to get some goodwill back.....

I read somewhere that they upgraded everyone by one package level for a period of one month.

11 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Yep they did that with Saturday Night Fever as well - abruptly interrupted the movie every 20-30 minutes for BS repetitive self-promotion, and bleeped out most of the profanity. Are we not adults paying a premium fee? 

ALL the channels are edited, even 'The Simpsons" gets edited, that's a Thailand thing and not up-to the channels themselves and another reason to not use truevisions or any other cable TV for your movie watching.. internet streaming is the only way to go, the only thing truevisions is good for is live sports-something like paramount or the kpop channel is just halftime filler, true doesn't even give you the free Thai channels like 3 and 7 in HD, you have to get a separate box for that and get it from an antenna!  NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL, college football,ALL Tennis, EPL and most soccer, F1 etc. all on True and what your paying 2200B / month for.  I'd love to see the breakdown of the fees they pay to the channels-i'll bet 80-90% goes to the sport rights.

Edited by pkspeaker

41 minutes ago, jgm005 said:

I read somewhere that they upgraded everyone by one package level for a period of one month.

How would they upgrade someone from Platinum as that's their top package?

I expect Gold package users could quickly tell us if they got upgraded to Platinum.