Drivers urged to turn on headlights during daytime for safety

webfact

Drivers urged to turn on headlights during daytime for safety

hl.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 December 2016 (NNT) – Experts have suggested motorists to switch on headlights during the day as the practice is believed to reduce the risk of accidents by 30 percent. 

The Council of Engineers reported that Thailand currently ranks first in the ASEAN region in terms of the number of road accidents, with a death rate of 38.1 per 100,000 people. The Kingdom is also among Asian countries considered most vulnerable to road accidents. 

To alleviate the problem, the council has launched a project to raise public awareness of the importance of turning on headlights during the day or installing daytime running lights on vehicles. With the lights on, it is said that visibility could increase from about 670 meters to 1,400 meters, thereby lowering the chance of accidents by as much as 30 percent. 

In a bid to promote this safety measure, the council is coordinating public relations activities with both public and private agencies and is looking to propose that the measure be made a regulation to be enforced during long holidays, such as New Year, when a large number of people embark on road trips across the country.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-27

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn on that high beam may increase visibility beyond 2000 metres...

When you can't even get some to turn on their headlights during dusk, you expect them to do so during the day?

Motorcycles have been required by law to do so...and how has that worked?

Hmmmm, not so long ago I was ticked off (but not fined) by a cop for driving with my car headlights on during the day, apparently reserved for VIPs and military convoys.

I also understand that after-market running lights are illegal too (along with decent air-horns).

So, a whole new avenue of tea supply for the BiB all with the blessing of The Council of Engineers.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Hmmmm, not so long ago I was ticked off (but not fined) by a cop for driving with my car headlights on during the day, apparently reserved for VIPs and military convoys.

I also understand that after-market running lights are illegal too (along with decent air-horns).

So, a whole new avenue of tea supply for the BiB all with the blessing of The Council of Engineers.

I used to lose count of the number of people who would tell me my lights were on in the day time when I used to ride a motorbike. When I said it was for safety reasons, they would retort that it would run down my battery. In the end, I got bored of the hassle and kept them switched off til pitch black night, Thai-style. Seems like  I might just be able to get away with daytime lights these days.......:blink:

headlights on does little.  actually enforcing driving instruction and infractions would help a little but I know there would be so much backlash from the poor low income Thais that will never be done to any large extent.  They will hop on a motorbike or into a car and drive at speed until they come upon a vehicle in front of them, they will motor about as if they are on a no traffic village upcountry road and veer or steer around to their heart's content with no intent to monitor the situation around them

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yea I had a problem when it was raining hard and I put my lights on.oh buy the way  monkey work for coconut. 

In Europe it is compulsory to turn the lights on during winter time because of frequent gloomy weather. I think it would make more sense urging drivers to turn their lights on during cloudy, rainy, foggy weather and just before the sunset. I've noticed many drivers turn their lights on way too late when is pitch dark. 

30 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

"Drivers urged to turn on headlights during daytime for safety"

Welcome to the 1980's

canauckamuck refers to the fact that Canada has required daytime running lights since the 1980's. there is no question in my mind that the practice improves vehicle visibility. Our neighbours to the South never picked up on this..

I notice that now many vehicle manufacturers are incorporating daytime running lights from the factory, as the motorcycle manufacturers have been doing for more than a decade here in Thailand. They are mostly using LED lights now. So the manufacturers realize the benefit and save governments the task of regulating their use.

3 hours ago, trogers said:

Motorcycles have been required by law to do so...and how has that worked?

GOOD point.  It sure hasn't stopped people trying to run me off the road by overtaking when I'm coming towards them, lights on, in the middle of the left lane.  

44 minutes ago, fruitman said:

What about fining the drivers who don't have headlights or rearlights AT NIGHT!!??

Or the ones who are too stupid to use their indicators??

in UK the last one applies to most Benz drivers [maybe they were never shown where the indicators are].... here it appears being a Benz driver gives that driver the right to park where they want..

25 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

In Sweden which has the best vehicle safety record in the World it is compulsory to drive with your headlight on at all times.

My Ranger here has automatic head lights, think most new car here now have, or at least daytime running lights

I wish they would turn them on at dusk or when its raining, the main problem is that they are convinced that turning the lights on drains their battery, of course they pay no attention to farangs telling them that it doesnt,  maybe a national TV campaign might help.....

In the states it is compulsory to turn your headlights on during precipitation. Probably 75% have the presence of mind to do it.

Over here it's less than 20% .

And less than a third signal when changing lanes. 

You have to remember  that you're not driving in a Western country and that they just do things a lot differently . If you become aware of how things work here you can learn to somewhat adapt and kind of go with the flow.

For drivers in most countries this would seem a sensible suggestion but for Thai motorists holding the 2nd place in world road fatalities it might have different meaning.

For many Thai motorists their mentality might be sayng that with your headlights on in the daytime you will be safer and can therefore drive faster and do more risky maneuvers because others will see you more readily and be able to take evasive action to avoid you.

In Thailand it might have the opposite effect of what the Council of Engineers is trying to achieve.

Edited by Brer Fox

Daytime running lights have been proven to help prevent accidents.

It was insane for Thailand not only to not have them but ticket people who turned them on manually.

I hate driving just before night here. It is very difficult to see vehicles with no lights.

While they're at it, another relatively simple way to cut down the carnage, do not put u-turns for both directions in the same place.

At busy locations you're view is blocked unless you go into the oncoming lane. I'd like to see the numbers but I'd think accidents at u-turns have to contribute a lot.

Usually you'll be hit by someone flashing their lights at you instead of using their brakes :-)

1 hour ago, Toknarok said:

In Sweden which has the best vehicle safety record in the World it is compulsory to drive with your headlight on at all times.

On my first Saab you could not turn off the light. ☺

This was the 99 model, 1972.