What is the "stigma" about tank tops.

joeyg

I've preferred waring them for years having lived in Southern California.  I wear them here almost exclusively when casual.  I prefer plain ones. May some graphics if they cool.   Don't like advertising beer or energy drinks.  The morbidly obese guys/8 month pregnant guys are quite a site with the Chang logo on the "bullseye" I must admit.

But is there something else I'm missing?  I prefer to ware the least clothes possible and do get dressed up when the occasion requires it.  Yes I can see a marked difference in the way your received with a nice pressed shirt, black jeans and shined shoes.

It's a tank top and shorts for me though.  And where I was raised, shorts were worn above the knee not between the knee and ankle.  In So Cal no one really seemed to care what you wore.  Thoughts?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different countries and parts of countries have different dress codes, likes, dislikes, etc.   But Thais generally consider tank tops as sloppy/LoSo/laborer type dressing.   Similar to how most Thai men prefer to wear long pants vs short pants.  Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks been coming here for years and didn't really know that.  I knew about the pants thing but wasn't clear about the tank tops.  I think I prefer being considered Lo So when I'm out "knockin' around" town...

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Different countries and parts of countries have different dress codes, likes, dislikes, etc.   But Thais generally consider tank tops as sloppy/LoSo/laborer type dressing.   Similar to how most Thai men prefer to wear long pants vs short pants.  Different strokes for different folks.

So a t shirt and long pants would make me HiSo or at least  middle class...

Thanks been coming here for years and didn't really know that.  I knew about the pants thing but wasn't clear about the tank tops.  I think I prefer being considered Lo So when I'm out "knockin' around" town...

8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I love my wife beaters but only ever wear em with some  cargo shorts, and crocs and white socks.

Nice...  Any socks with sandals was a big no no even in So Cal come to think of it. LOL!

Edited by joeyg

Interesting.  I live at the beach in Naklua.  And spend a lot of time at the beach.  Tank top and shorts is a "no brainer."  I do go out from time to time in Pattaya with the same clothes.  I don't think anyone notices or cares here.

When I go to dinner at The Centura Grand or The Hilton of course that's dress up time.

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

Interesting.  I live at the beach in Naklua.  And spend a lot of time at the beach.  Tank top and shorts is a "no brainer."  I do go out from time to time in Pattaya with the same clothes.  I don't think anyone notices or cares here.

When I go to dinner at The Centura Grand or The Hilton of course that's dress up time.

and what do you wear then?

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Shorts worn above the knee?? Oh! my god. Maybe OK on a little schoolboy, but on a male adult out on the street??????

Very common here  and So Cal.  In So Cal the only people that wore the "long short pants"  were the gang banger Cholo types.

1 minute ago, kevozman1 said:

Fine for wearing at home, on a beach or by a pool. Around town it looks pretty awful, doubled by sheer amount of slobs who choose to wear wife beaters. 

Like I said you see then everywhere around here.  I thank God am quite fit at 64.  It takes a lot of work and discipline.  When I do ware jeans I prefer tight jeans.  Always have.  Hey if ya got it flaunt it.  been working great so far...

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

old fat farangs with hairy armpits ...  uuggghh  !!  

they look disgusting  ...  :shock1:

Yes I'm old but really am in good shape.  I think the title of the thread should have been does anybody like wearing tank tops in Thailand (near the beach) :cool:

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

old fat farangs with hairy armpits ...  uuggghh  !!  

they look disgusting  ...  :shock1:

I tend to agree with you.  Old fat farangs with hairy armpits look disgusting.  However I think anyone that has been undisciplined and let themselves turn into a fat pig is disgusting in any clothes.  What really sets me off is the "no shirt" thing.  I don't know why.  Even if your in good shape I think a tank top looks better.