What is the "stigma" about tank tops.

joeyg

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

Not really the place to discuss diabetes, but thought I should put in a word. I've been in good shape my whole life and have always taken great care of what I eat (to the point of being a "health-nut" at times), and don't even consume alcohol - yet I'm pre-diabetic. You might be surprised to learn that often what you see - fat people with big guts - are a result of diabetes, not the other way around. i.e. they are not diabetic because they are fat but fat because they are diabetic. IMHO shaming fat people or people with big guts by saying they made themselves diabetic is not helpful and quite wrong.

Not and never will shame fat people.  I struggled to get to my ideal weight for quite some time.  Without going point for point your rational/ theory on fat guts and diabetes is wrong.  My field is Internal Medicine.

I will never stop encouraging people to be as healthy as they can be.  Especially when it comes to choices.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Not and never will shame fat people.  I struggled to get to my ideal weight for quite some time.  Without going point for point your rational/ theory on fat guts and diabetes is wrong.  My field is Internal Medicine.

I will never stop encouraging people to be as healthy as they can be.  Especially when it comes to choices.

I don't believe it's wrong, but understand the typical medical dogma on the subject, and would expect such a reply from a doctor. 

The typical medical thinking compels people to feel guilty when they are not.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

I don't believe it's wrong, but understand the typical medical dogma on the subject, and would expect such a reply from a doctor. 

The typical medical thinking compels people to feel guilty when they are not.

Edit; and a small percentage of people may have a genetic pre disposition to type 2 diabetes.  Despite optimal nutrition and life style. It's always easily manageable with a compliant patient.  Even Type one is quite manageable with good compliance and regular medication.

Plus my practice was an integrated format with orthomolecular nutrition, homeopathy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda etc.

Gotta run but what I'll leave you with is my patients loved me.  Many are still in touch after three years of retirement.  My phone was on 24/7 for them.  I was devoted to my practice and patients.  I still think about going back.

Time for a musical interlude... 
[/url]  

These are 'muscle queens' aren't they? The need to show off one's body to both your own sex and the opposite sex is more acceptable for women than for men. The gender confusion which exists among the younger generations has meant that men feel happy that other men as well as woman admire their bodies. The skin is constantly shedding and sweating and where we may be able to overcome that fact in a woman wearing a strapped top, it is more difficult for some of us to have the same feelings about another man similarly dressed. Most societies find it undesirable for a man to wear a vest in public, even a very pretty man is not a woman so it is best to cover up to a greater degree in the city.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 27/12/2016 at 3:45 PM, Pib said:

Different countries and parts of countries have different dress codes, likes, dislikes, etc.   But Thais generally consider tank tops as sloppy/LoSo/laborer type dressing.   Similar to how most Thai men prefer to wear long pants vs short pants.  Different strokes for different folks.

May I ask please where you get this information about tank tops as sloppy/loso/labourer?. Not in my experiance at all.

19 hours ago, fruitman said:

Haven't you noticed that Thai never speak the truth about what they think?? They will never say something is not done, instead they say "up to you", man at your age you should know that by now.

And there are plenty men who wear singlets to show tattoo's or muscles...haven't you noticed?

Your friends may be like that but mine are straight up,that's why they are my friends.

7 hours ago, Fore Man said:

The Thai have a cultural thing about dressing up.  It's centered around dressing well, grooming well and receiving respect because of one's comportment and appearance. You will occasionally hear comments spoken in Thai that include the word "pu-dee"...meaning so and so looks good. It is a big compliment to be called as such. Too many slovenly Western men dress like beach bums, out on the town often wearing no top at all....and unknowingly are denigrated by most Thai who see them out on the streets and in the malls. There's a time and place to dress like a beach-goer, but most of the time Westerners would fare better by erring on the side of overdressing for any occasion where they mingle with the public. Especially if entering a wat...it is considered a gross insult to try to walk into a temple if not wearing long pants and shirts with sleeves.  Ditto when visiting government offices.  You get the respect you deserve, but why hurt your chances by deliberately looking sloppy?

I have asked monks about shorts that come just above the knees and they have all said ,no problem.I do wear a short sleeve shirt though but when i step out the back and see smoking and mobile phone use,well i don't really care.I only go for funerals.

Why does everybody associate singlets with beach wear,they can and should be worn anywhere.Women seem to get away with it.Is that because they have a couple of pointy bits out front.

7 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I think it is about exposing too much naked flesh, especially if your body is somewhat disgusting like really really fat or skin type with blisters and such....Compare the thought of having to see a really fat old Russian lady in g-string on the beach, makes you wanna puke, similarly same goes for a man......

thailand-making-you-fat.jpg

He is probably a top bloke.Who are you to denigrate him.I would rather him as a friend than shallow minded person,such as yourself.

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I never get close enough to them to know whether they stink or not, any guy with little clothing on I stay well out of their way, unless at the beach or swimming pool.

Get a bit closer possum and have wiff,we singlet/tank top/vest wearers have etiquette and put on deodorant and we have feelings too.Better than getting that sweat stain on the shirt.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Singlets, vests or wife beaters are OK for the beach and pool side, particularly so if one has a fairly trim body and it is reasonably tight fitting. Unfortunately, due to a disproportionate amount of aging Aussie (and faux Aussie wannabe) malingerers in LOS, their penchant to wear an old and seriously baggy one on every conceivable (and inconceivable) occasion leads to the rather unfortunate and obnoxious public exposure of leathery skin, straggly, drippy oxter hair, nascent man boobs and wiry white tufts on the chest that mostly match the ones already sprouting out of their ears and nostrils. The worst offenders are the ones with their 'ripped' gym singlets with the t-back that tend to show the bits with stretched or blocked pores, zits, blackheads and (not infrequently) suppurating boils where they haven't been able to wash properly for the last 10 years or when they last had 'lady take care', whichever is longest.

And that is another reason why i wear singlets,other Ozzys know who i am at a glance and know i am a fellow traveller who does not give a flying f... about stupid things like dress regs.,class ect.Also it sorts the true friends out from the wannabees.Barkeepers seem to like my money as well.

7 hours ago, joeyg said:

No... :cheesy:  And actually they really don't smell.  The secret is rubbing in a little bit of baking soda.  Knocks out 100% of BO try it.  Sometimes a girl will comment how a guy, guys stink.  I ask how about me and raise my arm.  Surprisingly most will take a wiff of my pit.  They just say "no you smell good"

Another important thing is I don't eat dead, putrefying burnt animal carcasses.  Have a very clean almost vegan diet for 44 years.  It really does make a big difference on how you smell.  And taste!!! :clap2:

Try it!

Poops like a rabbit...

5 hours ago, paulsingle said:

I do. Should I be ashamed? 

Mostly at home or for the beach.

I've popped into Tesco Lotus and Big C in a tank top. Is that very bad?

My shorts are above the knee - I guess that's pretty outrageous :(

At 59 I'm not sure if I'm old but I have trimmed the hair under my arms which hopefully mitigates the revulsion precipitated by my slobbish apparel.

You and joey can eat at my table anytime,but i must warn you, i am an Ozzy and my manners may be lacking.

ps i use deodorant but will try the baking powder trick and you can have a sniff joey.I find that powder the Thai's put on is quite good,the one with a bit of bite.

5 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

What people wear depends on how much a person respects themselves, how they want to be seen by other people and what type of impression they prefer to give out about themselves.

My choice of attire is smart casual, decent tee-shirt, trousers, socks and soft shoes. This means that when I am conducting business here, visiting my bank, out shopping or general socilising, wearing comfortable but smart clothing I gain more respect rather then looking like a layabout low end class slob or smelly armpit backpacker tourist.

As all things above are,it is all superficial,but people seem to take notice when i splash the cash,which is also superficial.The bank manager  invites me in for a chat sometimes with singlet and shorts on.Govt office no probs also.I have moved from perceived slob to being an eccentric.I must protest this myth that singlet wearers have smelly armpits,we do put on deodorant.

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

Ok now this is important!  The Strategic Rules for Men Wearing Tank Tops.  Legal Disclaimer: "No wives or other animals were beat during the making of this film.  Any scenes resembling trailer parks is purely coincidental.  The poster assume no liability for men or woman wearing tank tops living or dead."

OMG,rule #11,it is not a singlet/tank top if it's got a pocket.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

Get a bit closer possum and have wiff,we singlet/tank top/vest wearers have etiquette and put on deodorant and we have feelings too.Better than getting that sweat stain on the shirt.

OK, then what about the overweight guys, that is the majority of ex pats and tourists, some of whom wear wife beaters, are you saying that these guys don't sweat more than a guy like me and probably you, in a Tshirt or ordinary shirt?

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

He is probably a top bloke.Who are you to denigrate him.I would rather him as a friend than shallow minded person,such as yourself.

Yes I agree and he may be as you say a good guy.  I hate to see people suffering though.  And he must be right?

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am always astonished at the fashion police; as if what you wear is more important than who you are.

Not intended to be fashion police.  In theory I'm the greatest offender.. Just got back in was out in Pattaya tonight.  By best guess was 30% of the guys were wearing tank tops.  Maybe a little more with women.  It's quite balmy tonight at 69 degrees...

52 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

As all things above are,it is all superficial,but people seem to take notice when i splash the cash,which is also superficial.The bank manager  invites me in for a chat sometimes with singlet and shorts on.Govt office no probs also.I have moved from perceived slob to being an eccentric.I must protest this myth that singlet wearers have smelly armpits,we do put on deodorant.

Very well said!  I didn't know you were a mind reader as well.  My experience exactly.  Cash talks and BS walks.  For some  reason being a retired physician seems to give me some status boost... :sleepy:

Hey, what about the sleeveless T-shirt? It's the tank top's nearest cousin and even harder to pull off tastefully. You have to workout to pull it off otherwise your arms will look super skinny or extra fat. It's a nice option if you're feeling a bit shy and want to wear just a bit more material.:smile: