PM asks Akara Resources not to sue the government for now

webfact

PM asks Akara Resources not to sue the government for now

707_PM.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has appealed to the Akara Resources Plc to withhold its plan to sue the Thai government demanding compensation for the recent revocation of the company’s gold mining concessions and termination of its operations in Petchabun and Phichit provinces.

The prime minister said Tuesday that the government was merely holding up the mining company’s operations while awaiting the enactment of a new mining law which would clear up the problems related to mining activities.

Assuring that the government would be fair to all parties concerned and did not take side with any particular parties, the prime minister said taking the case to the court would be time-consuming.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-asks-akara-resources-not-sue-government-now/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-28

Sorry but the horse has already bolted,  Kingsgate are withdrawing billions in investments in Thailand, over one thousand thai jobs gone and they are using these billions to invest in Chilli.  They were losing millions and found it to difficult to do business with military rulers who have little or no expertise in this area.  Yes they will still be suing to re coupe losses at the hands of the Junta.

29 minutes ago, Sarathi said:

please cooperate with us while we stack every court, senate, police and army department with our toadies, and stack the political system to install an appointed PM.

They can stack the Thai judiciary as much as they like but I don't think this will help them.  This will probably be played out in an international court.  Kingsgate is an Aussie multi national with vast experience in mining.  Thailand had no experience in mining and that is why Kingsgate was extracting the gold and silver.  They will have a battalion of barristers and QC's with a wealth of experience in such law and I doubt Thailand would have any in this field.  

I think if Prayuth was confident in defeating a multi national and it's army of lawyers he would have just shrugged, gave one of his silly grins and said bring it on.  He isn't confident and that is why he is begging them not to sue, he could lose billions of US dollars on his watch.

Just yesterday the government went in to brag mode about the rise in exports for November. Apperently a large part of the increase was due to the export of gold.

So what do the brains trusts of this economically feeble minded military government decide to do.? They issue an order to shut down all gold mines across the country.

Instead of whining, the Junta should start an in depth environmental impact study on these mining sites, whether those mining companies have violated existing laws, polluted the water and soil, endangered the people living there or close to the sites.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Sorry but the horse has already bolted,  Kingsgate are withdrawing billions in investments in Thailand, over one thousand thai jobs gone and they are using these billions to invest in Chilli.  They were losing millions and found it to difficult to do business with military rulers who have little or no expertise in this area.  Yes they will still be suing to re coupe losses at the hands of the Junta.

Perhaps the best avenue would be through the international court in The Hague, then it certainly be in the world domain .

The problem with Prayut's knee jerk response and the history that surrounds this area is to appease the locals, the people of Phichit absolutely hate the Government, any Government , I remember Thaksin sending out inspectors to get money for the mine alluvial sites they have and they  just got out, for centuries the people have maintained that the gold in the ground is there's not the states, so what better way to get support for the Junta than to side with the locals, even though there is no evidence to suggest ground contamination exists, the high mercury in their blood is attributed to their high fish diet and the minerals in the ground for rice, this is a problem throughout Thailand and is not confined to only mining area's and has been well documented. Just google it..................................................:coffee1:   

Edited by chainarong

6 hours ago, webfact said:

enactment of a new mining law which would clear up the problems related to mining activities.

TRANSLATION:

New law will make it retroactively legal for the mining operation to continue, ie., economic national security overrrules environmental issues. Such a law would actually be consistent with the new (albeit unendorsed) junta-written 2016 draft constitution.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

They can stack the Thai judiciary as much as they like but I don't think this will help them.  This will probably be played out in an international court.  Kingsgate is an Aussie multi national with vast experience in mining.  Thailand had no experience in mining and that is why Kingsgate was extracting the gold and silver.  They will have a battalion of barristers and QC's with a wealth of experience in such law and I doubt Thailand would have any in this field.  

I think if Prayuth was confident in defeating a multi national and it's army of lawyers he would have just shrugged, gave one of his silly grins and said bring it on.  He isn't confident and that is why he is begging them not to sue, he could lose billions of US dollars on his watch.

He is an Army General, not a diplomat or even a politician much less an economist!

I think he may have just given himself an uppercut? :whistling: 

Only his people will suffer - those at the top never do. Very sad :sad:

4 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Instead of whining, the Junta should start an in depth environmental impact study on these mining sites, whether those mining companies have violated existing laws, polluted the water and soil, endangered the people living there or close to the sites.

Yes there are always violations. I did not realize that there where terms of engagement here in legal matters??

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why do I get the these strange de ja vu feelings that the mine will soon

continue to operate but under different Thai hands and management?....

Gosh! Do you suppose so? I couldn't imagine any reasonable, responsible, intelligent national government shooting itself in the foot by doing such an inane, stupid thing!! :wai:

Akara should really consider to sue Prayut for his Article 44 order to shut the mine. He made the executive order without careful consultation and allow due diligence. Akara should go to the International Court of Arbitration and sue Prayut. Maybe that's why he seem conciliatory and offering the olive branch.   

10 hours ago, Thechook said:

Chilli? That's going to buy one hell of a lot of peppers.