garbage truck affect sleep

victory015

Recently, i moved to a new apartment.

there is a problem, the garbage truck comes at 1.30am, stops outside the apartment, processes the garbage bins of the soi, and left at 2.20am, it generates smell and noise. it is affecting my sleep.

is there a way i can move out, use garbage truck as a reason?

IMG_20170101_020739.jpg

Edited by victory015

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Indeed, but that's a small price to pay fo a good night's sleep...

Absolutely, I was assuming that our OP expected to use the truck as a reason to break his lease without penalty. Otherwise why ask?

47 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Absolutely, I was assuming that our OP expected to use the truck as a reason to break his lease without penalty. Otherwise why ask?

I felt the effort I put into my response matched the effort the OP put into his post.

He moved into an apartment. No information about the terms of the lease, or even that a lease has been signed. 

Also, is the OP just looking for a BS reason to break the lease? If the garbage truck is the problem, why not ask for a unit on the opposite side of the building?

I signed a 3 month lease with the apartment.

I viewed the apartment two times in the morning and afternoon. There is no information about the garbage truck stopping in front of the apartment in 1.30am to 2.20am. 

The landlord was hiding this piece of information.

7 minutes ago, victory015 said:

I viewed the apartment two times in the morning and afternoon. There is no information about the garbage truck stopping in front of the apartment in 1.30am to 2.20am. 

Or maybe he thought you were not a precious little boy who needs absolute silence to sleep in the big bad city.

21 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Or maybe he thought you were not a precious little boy who needs absolute silence to sleep in the big bad city.

You ever been getting to the good part of an erotic dream and all of a sudden the smell permeates the rest of the dream?   You'll never look at your girlfriend the same way again.  I mean, never.  And the scary thing is that you may not know why.

To the OP, yes, it sucks.  I have the same noise around 2:00 AM, but (thankfully) not the smell.  Just consider it a cheap lesson in the pitfalls of living in an unfamiliar environment and move on.  And thank your lucky stars you didn't buy the place...

Edit:  BTW, one reason I don't suffer the smell is because my place is pretty much hermetically sealed with the A/C on at night.  You may want to try that.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, victory015 said:

I was kind of on your side, until this post. 

Does your bedroom window face East?  Did the landlord "hide" that sunrise coming through the curtains might affect your sleep?

I doubt that the landlord hid anything. If he hasnt actually slept in the unit or is a heavy sleeper then he is probably totally unaware that the garbage truck stops there at all. And Thais - assuming he is Thai - generally dont seem to be very affected by noise anyway (it beats me how they can possibly live so many to a room: I would find it a serious imposition to share a room with just one person).

Is it valid reason to move? Yes, if it is annoying you. Is it a valid reason to break the contract without penalty? No, unless your contract included something about such an eventuality. Especially as they have probably been doing this every night for years.

In Thailand many might be thankful if they only got noise between 1.30am and 2.20am, as pointless noise seems to be almost constant in many places here. Noisy neighbours being the most common annoyance, I think.

2 hours ago, victory015 said:

the garbage truck generates noise when compressing the garbage, and bad smell.

Have you ever seen a good smelling garbagetruck?

If this is all you have to complain about you should be happy to live there. Our garbagetruck comes anytime during the night and makes much noise opening all binhouses with steel doors. They never close those doors again so next day you put a binbag in them the dogs will drag it out onto the street and open it.

The garbagecollectors also open every bag to find stuff they can get money for at the recyclers, the truckengine keeps running during that infront of the house.

The neighhours make much more noise though, barking dogs all night is no fun.

I used to live in Bangkok

I moved to a remote farmhouse 1km from sea and 5 km from mountains surrounded by fields and trees ( sounds idyllic well it is.... but) Oh in fields cows and frogs and in trees birds

Believe me at night with cows. frogs and birds Bangkok is way quieter! :partytime2:

21 minutes ago, poohy said:

I used to live in Bangkok

I moved to a remote farmhouse 1km from sea and 5 km from mountains surrounded by fields and trees ( sounds idyllic well it is.... but) Oh in fields cows and frogs and in trees birds

Believe me at night with cows. frogs and birds Bangkok is way quieter! :partytime2:

Here in BKK we never sleep with open windows, the garbagetruck, frogs, toads, birds, dogs,crickets, horney cats all make a lot of noise....

It's nice to live in a green environment but it also has disadvantages...

Lately we have some very loud birds, it sounds like being in a zoo sometimes.

6 hours ago, victory015 said:

What has the city's rubbish collection got to do with the landlord and why do you think he has responsibility for it and for telling you about it, even if he knew?  Perhaps the collection only just started about the time you moved in and he didn't know about it? 

Did you tell the landlord before signing the contract that you expected there to be no noise from rubbish collectors during the night, or did you hide that piece of information from him?

Did all the other places that you viewed before deciding on this one give you information regarding the timing and decibel rating of the rubbish collections?

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, victory015 said:

The landlord has to tell you about things IN the house not about the surrounding. Tha.t is up to you

On 1/1/2017 at 11:33 AM, fruitman said:

Have you ever seen a good smelling garbagetruck?

If this is all you have to complain about you should be happy to live there. Our garbagetruck comes anytime during the night and makes much noise opening all binhouses with steel doors. They never close those doors again so next day you put a binbag in them the dogs will drag it out onto the street and open it.

The garbagecollectors also open every bag to find stuff they can get money for at the recyclers, the truckengine keeps running during that infront of the house.

The neighhours make much more noise though, barking dogs all night is no fun.

The garbage truck stops in front of the apartment processing all rubbish bin from the soi, for one hour.

And they come after midnight, 1am to 2am.

36 minutes ago, victory015 said:

The garbage truck stops in front of the apartment processing all rubbish bin from the soi, for one hour.

The only problem with this scenario -- is it is pretty standard in Bangkok for the rubbish trucks to stop on the soi and sort the garbage on the street.  I walk by it regularly during my bouts of insomnia on my way up the soi to the 7/11.   I also doubt that it would be covered in the lease as a reason to abrogate the lease.... assuming you have one.   On a 3 month lease would you not have placed a security deposit down which if you fail to live up to the agreement is the landlords to keep?

2 hours ago, victory015 said:

Bad luck but has nothing to do with the landlord. Should have talked to the neighbours before moving in.

On 1/1/2017 at 9:41 AM, victory015 said:

Hiding the information?

No reasonable adult would take isssue with garbage collection late at night or early morning in an urban environment.

5 hours ago, victory015 said:

I agree they should process it at the dump, but those guys want to have to money for the cans and bottles so they waste the time the truck could have been driving around to pick up more garbage.

Where i live they don't even have enough garbagetrucks, when one is broken they only come once a week or so. But still they don't save the time by processing it at the big dumpplace. TIT.