Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, opalred said:

if you like being called hansum man all day 

stay in town

if you like fresh air   mountain woman

DOGS AND ROOSTERS BARKING AND CROWING ALL NIGHT

BURNING RUBBISH DAY AND NIGHT 

i love my country life

I do not believe you are living the country life just because you are not in the city. Having neighbors close enough for their activities and their animals to bother you appears to be suburbia rather than in the country.

6 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Village life to me in issan thai is a joke and a s??? Hole could not wait to get out of the s??? Hole , I was staying 3 months In my friends home he has two homes on his land , big dam to fish in every day swimming pool aircon and a great looking thai partner to wake up to every morning but after 2 weeks could not stand the village s??? Life .

Needed to stay in his home because I hard something to do in issan.

i am a city boy not like the country life at all , love the city life .

village life to me is for poor Thais who can't afford city life .

not understand how lots of western man give up their life's to live in a thai village but up to them .

but has a lot to do with their thai partners .

Yeah, I too cannot stay in the country. I have a lovely old farm in the hills of West Virginia. From my cabin, I cannot see anything that isn't mine. My nearest neighbor is over three miles away, but he is usually at his girlfriend's house about six miles away. The nearest grocery store is 31 miles away and five miles of that road is unpaved--so, it is in the boondocks. A trip into town for shopping takes all day. I love it, for limited periods of time. Funny, it is the only thing I really miss about the States.

It is funny because I have always lived in the country by choice before moving to Thailand

But country western & country Thai are two different things

Country Western is quiet...super quiet

Country Thai is anything but quiet.
Villages are usually close knit & built tight saving land for farming.
As such it can get a bit noisy/busy with folks stopping in all day as they walk past

I liked it actually but it usually took a couple days to acclimate after having been away
to our main place in CM
But once acclimated I did quite like it.

Village folks are some of the best . Hard working honest folks in my experiences over
the years we liver in Thailand. The one downfall I would say is the boredom does lead them to drink more
& more. Some of them learn early thru stomach problems etc & quit or cut back but others
are like energizer bunnies & drink every night heavily.

To their credit they do still get up early & work hard, but that drinking takes its toll
for sure. Many start with beer when young then change to Hong Thong/ Sang Som etc..Then finally the white
lightening home brew.

But yes while there I always enjoyed it after the first few days & after a few weeks
really felt at home right about the time we were leaving again.

Now that we have moved back to the west I think of our family members there often.

The drink does take it's toll.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

As the song and series goes Green Acres is not for me and I am to old to garden and get crotchety at noise roosters, dogs, drunks etc. But Kudo's to those that adapt and like it. Nothing like getting up in the morning and watch a fresh looking village maiden walking down the street. 

I live in country Isan. We went to Chang Mia for Christmas and New Year. While it wasn't too bad, Chang Mia definitely is lacking for beautiful women. I was glad to get back home where you see a dozen beauties just crossing the road.

As they say, if you want beautiful mountains go to Chang Mia, if you want beautiful beaches go to Phuket, if you want beautiful women go to Isan.

16 hours ago, mania said:

It is funny because I have always lived in the country by choice before moving to Thailand

But country western & country Thai are two different things

Country Western is quiet...super quiet

Country Thai is anything but quiet.

Villages are usually close knit & built tight saving land for farming.

As such it can get a bit noisy/busy with folks stopping in all day as they walk past

I liked it actually but it usually took a couple days to acclimate after having been away

to our main place in CM

But once acclimated I did quite like it.

Village folks are some of the best . Hard working honest folks in my experiences over

the years we liver in Thailand. The one downfall I would say is the boredom does lead them to drink more

& more. Some of them learn early thru stomach problems etc & quit or cut back but others

are like energizer bunnies & drink every night heavily.

To their credit they do still get up early & work hard, but that drinking takes its toll

for sure. Many start with beer when young then change to Hong Thong/ Sang Som etc..Then finally the white

lightening home brew.

But yes while there I always enjoyed it after the first few days & after a few weeks

really felt at home right about the time we were leaving again.

Now that we have moved back to the west I think of our family members there often.

They switch to the homemade stuff because beer isn't affordable.

8 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I live in country Isan. We went to Chang Mia for Christmas and New Year. While it wasn't too bad, Chang Mia definitely is lacking for beautiful women. I was glad to get back home where you see a dozen beauties just crossing the road.

As they say, if you want beautiful mountains go to Chang Mia, if you want beautiful beaches go to Phuket, if you want beautiful women go to Isan.

Now I have to pull you up on that thailand has beautiful woman just in issan , thailand has beautiful women every we're not just issan.

I believe That most of the hookres come from issan and that is why most people believe issan has the most beautiful woman.

yes issan has beautiful woman I agree but it has more hookers working bars all over thailand.

lsat time in issan lots of fat woman now as well to much western food   Available .

On 03/01/2017 at 7:49 PM, mick220675 said:

If you want to live in a rural area of Thailand you must build your own world, a home and garden that you want to live in with a family you love. If you can do this you will not live in paradise but it will make life in  Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok a poor second.

I live in a beautiful house surrounded by trees and friendly people. I cook my own food, watch any TV I want and go swimming every day. life in rural Thailand is what you make it.

I love a trip to Phuket or Pattaya but after a week I long to go home. Bangkok/London is my idea of hell.

London is not in Thailand. ?

On 04/01/2017 at 1:53 AM, kenk24 said:

Are you far from the city?

Hi Roo... 

It's about a 30 minute ride, straight highway - my niece, who we have been raising since a toddler, likes to go to the special learning classes after school. The bus that takes her in the morning goes home before that. So, most days, I pick her up. I have a comfy vehicle, well packed with favorite music and will often have a foot massage at the local temple and a meal in town. Gives me a reason to get out and around... 

Another advantage to country living is that language comes easier when you are immersed and the country people are very friendly.  And all that said, I think the internet access and being able to stream movies and sports, skype and email with friends, makes it all possible. Without internet, it would feel too disconnected. 

Living 30 minutes away from a city is the best of both worlds. If the isolation starts to drive you mad, the city is close by. Health care, shops and restaurants are always within easy reach. 

"I find it a bit like camping, first couple of nights great, then the novelty wears off..."

I sort of feel the same way when I travel out of our rural Lamphun village to visit Chiang Mai.  :wink:

10 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Now I have to pull you up on that thailand has beautiful woman just in issan , thailand has beautiful women every we're not just issan.

I believe That most of the hookres come from issan and that is why most people believe issan has the most beautiful woman.

yes issan has beautiful woman I agree but it has more hookers working bars all over thailand.

lsat time in issan lots of fat woman now as well to much western food   Available .

Lanna, Isaan, Krung Thep.  They're all beautiful!  :smile:

21 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I think you may need a new prescription from the opticians . The best looking women by a country mile are in northern thailand ! Anyway back to the subject , personally I'd keep a foot in both places , condo in the city and a nice house in the country . She's happy with her nice house while you get your bolt hole in the city When it all gets too much . Then back to the country for some R&R

Thai villages often look the same, but the villagers are all individuals. Some won't like you, and there are those you won't like either. But you can always find people who are genuine and have a good sense of humor.

Being able to eat fresh vegetables from the garden every day is another big plus to country living.

DSCN7562.JPG

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Thai villages often look the same, but the villagers are all individuals. Some won't like you, and there are those you won't like either. But you can always find people who are genuine and have a good sense of humor.

Being able to eat fresh vegetables from the garden every day is another big plus to country living.

DSCN7562.JPG

Have to agree with you there! Must be truly gratifying eating food from

your own garden . I would say that's about as self sufficient as you can be . I have just bought some farm land to do the same . We in the west strive for what most of these country people already have , land ownership -food-and a slower stress free life , for some reason they in turn may be envious of our prison type life's of work-pay a mortgage for a house we never actually truly own and eating processed food . I guess wealth is truly ones prospective.

• 3 months later...

I have tried to live in the countryside and mountains around CM, but not being fluent in Thai and single makes it overwhelming for me. I also dont care for trash burning, loudspeakers, bass boom boxes, roosters etc. Also I dont think Thailand, geographically speaking is very beautiful at all. Anywhere that "was" has been developed or is being ripped apart with D9 caterpillars as I write. Yah some of the national parks are ok, but if you have ever got bitten by "Khun" that never stops itching you will quickly realize mountain living is not as easy going as it looks. Like everything here, so easy to get in,  but hard to get out. On the women, I agree Issan, Sisaket etc. The best.. CM, blah.

Many here paint a very idyllic country life style.

Well in my wife's small dusty village some 60km from SiSaket I didn't find it that way. Okay didn't live there, only stayed sometimes 5 days and we drove back to our house in Pattaya.

Wife's neighbor were slowly parking all their crap closer and closer to her house saying it was their land. Wife got the land department coming and mark the plots involved and yes they were 10mtr inside her land so she build a wall (on her land), neighbor family were furious and their friend; the village chief too.

Then my wife's sister husband build a house behind my wife's house despite she telling them not to. That took 3 years in court to get them out. This yaba smoking woman abuser was a real nasty piece of kit and is now in jail for drug trafficking and my wife's sister has disappeared, leaving her 5 children behind. My wife's younger brother takes care of them now and my wife allowed them to stay in the illegally build house until they can take care of themselves and the younger brother (good man) stays in my wife's house looking after them.

No  plans of ever returning and my wife will sell her house and land when her sister's kids have grown up.

My 7 year old son attend a very good private school here in fun town and speaks as good English as Thai. Nobody in that little dusty village outside SiSaket can speak English but they can off-course easily get a job farming, earning perhaps 100-200baht a day with free rice soup included.      

Have to agree with you there! Must be truly gratifying eating food from
your own garden . I would say that's about as self sufficient as you can be . I have just bought some farm land to do the same . We in the west strive for what most of these country people already have , land ownership -food-and a slower stress free life , for some reason they in turn may be envious of our prison type life's of work-pay a mortgage for a house we never actually truly own and eating processed food . I guess wealth is truly ones prospective.

Sounds like you grow herb too .That numbs reality .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Twelve years ago, if someone had told me that I would be happily living in the boonies of Issan, I would have told them that they were insane. I have a nice 60 square meter condo in Jomtien.

My wife had/has a house in the boonies of Loei province. She wanted me to take a trip up to see her house. I begged off a number of times because I have seen Issan houses before. She finally talked me into making the trip. I was surprised that the house is a western style two bedroom. Of course the toilet was a squatter, no screens on the windows and a cold shower. Maybe the worst thing was a rock hard mattress. The very first thing was a trip to the nearest town to buy a new mattress. My wife heated water over charcoal for me to take a bucket shower. 

I found that I liked the scenic area. After about three trips up there, I had a farang toilet and screens on the windows. A couple more trips and I had rewired the house, installed a water pump and a hot water shower. Not so bad. Finally I decided to try living there. I kept my condo and still have it but now seldom use it. I have now been up here more than ten years. I go down to the condo maybe every three months mostly to see old friends. After a week of so, I am ready to go back home to Issan. My wife farms and works so I normally have to make the trip by myself.

The bottom line is, never say never. I have tractors and implements, a large workshop/garage, a lot of land for a garden and I can have all the pets I want. I had not realized how much I had missed the things that I couldn't have at my condo. Life is good here in the boonies and I am content.

On 06/01/2017 at 10:42 AM, Gecko123 said:

DSCN7562.JPG

Need a big garden to do that

Veges are deasonal

City living has obviously a lot more entertainment, but from my experience the people are a lot less generous (like in most countries), obviously living costs are a lot higher, and traffic will drive you nuts. Like many have said, how comfortable you make your house/land in the country, is how comfortable your life will be. I live in farm land that is only 5km away from your Tesco, Big C, Global, Home Pro, Hospital etc, so it is the best of both worlds in a way. The burning frustrates you more than anything.

But be careful of the unknown diseases..Especially Melioidosis and Leptospirosis. Just going for a walk can give you both. Melioidosis is now the third biggest killing disease in Thailand and it is suggested half the population in South East Asia may have it (big in Northern Australia also). It can kill you very quickly (in 24 hours) if you breathe in contaminated soil or water. Or can take longer if it gets in a wound. Some hospitals in NE Thai see 4 people die a day during rainy season. So wear gumboots if go for walks on farm land and dont go out during storms (which isnt often).

We just did the opposite.  Country to city ~ suburbs, not right in the city but still an adjustment.

Lived in a small town/village first 4 years here, about 35km out into the countryside from where we are now.  Nice big house in the middle of 1.5 rai, mature, treed land, lots of fruit trees, good size pond full of fish, dogs, cats, chickens and critters about, no close neighbors behind, left or right.  Sky full of stars at night if no clouds, and only 1 airliner passes high overhead at night around 2100; you can damn near set your watch by it.  A bit of an adjustment at first but right, there's a sense of freedom and elbow room, nobody messes with you.

The periodic trips to the city, or further afield down to Bangers, Patts/Jomtien, got further apart, and shorter duration - the crowded city vibe became a real turn off.   We used to go see friends on the Dark Side but after progressively longer gaps in between, when we would exit the #7 motorway onto the railway line bypass, pass the Muzzie road, then left on Khao Talo (or whatever that road is going up the hill).... holy crap, all those chockablock shop houses, signs and power lines, surrounded by 50 frickin' motorbikes....   I would physically cringe and shrink into the car seat, like the walls were closing in on me! 

After a few days, a week max, I'd be ready to go.  The further away up the mountain on 304 we got, I could feel the stress shedding of me.  If we took the big road, once we got past Saraburi heading up the hill toward Pak Chong, I would catch myself doing a mental exhale and then start to relax a bit more. 

Agreed, had you told me 5 years ago I would think/feel that way, I would of said no way.  LOL.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Lived in a small town/village first 4 years here, about 35km out into the countryside from where we are now.  Nice big house in the middle of 1.5 rai, mature, treed land, lots of fruit trees, good size pond full of fish, dogs, cats, chickens and critters about, no close neighbors behind, left or right.  Sky full of stars at night if no clouds, and only 1 airliner passes high overhead at night around 2100; you can damn near set your watch by it.  A bit of an adjustment at first but right, there's a sense of freedom and elbow room, nobody messes with you.

Sounds great.

It's a normal thing. Some people like the city life and some, maybe fewer of us, like the country life. I have friends who tried out life in the boonies and missed the bright lights and congestion. Nothing wrong with either choice. I tried both, more than five years in Bangkok and about the same length of time in Jomtien. I made my choice and chose the scenic country life.

Just came back from a Songkran home visit with friends, a Thai couple and their daughter and her bf, to a village 25 kms out of Phrae. The young couple, daughter with bf, left after two days with their peers. Thanks to them I had a chance to go to the rapids in the Mae Yom national park nearby. Once the young people were gone, I was left to my own device. My thai friend the wife took the SUV out almost every day to go to class reunions, the husband left at home with me was content to lie down and be glued to his mobile, at least he doesn't smoke or drink. I think he was as happy as mum being away from the wife for a change. Asking him to go somewhere would get him to say that "it's too hot (are you crazy?) to step outside the house" and this is from someone who spends the rest of the year stuck in steamy (weather-wise that is) Bangkok.

To get something for breakfast, sweet sticky rice along with some bananas and fresh soy milk for example, I had to rely on the kindness of one of the sister in laws who goes every morning to the village market, which opens and closes between 4 and 5 am. To get some thing I can eat for dinner I had to jump for the chance to go to the evening market, which is in the retail area of the moo baan, 6 kms from the house, that is if the SUV gets back in time. The rest of the time I couldn't eat their homecooked meals, which has kapi (shrimp paste) in every dish, and this is served 3 times a day. Never in my life I would have thought I'd have to walk around scavenging fruits from the trees!

One time I took the whole gaggle of sisters/sis in laws, to a starbuck style coffee shop in town proper, and they turned it into their happy hour,  downing endless chang bottles along with plates of buffalo wings (or a local version of that). Soon I started drinking at home with the men as well (and the women also joined in as well), endless shots of homebrew whiskies (notoriously high in alcohol content), at least at these gatherings there is something barbecued or other that I can eat.

I think I'll die of boredom or starvation, whichever comes first, if I stay on longer - or my liver would just call it quit. A family drive somewhere - to the water reservoir for example, which happened once or twice during our 10 days visit - invariably had someone getting lost because they took a wrong turn, or were told to take a wrong turn. Then the whole convoy would simply halt and wait. That sure happened on the first day when we went to the rapids, but that was a bit further than their normal stomping grounds so at least I wouldn't blame it on their cluelessness at first. But soon I was glad that I didn't speak or understand much thai, amidst all that constant chatter; my ears were so thankful when all that died down at night, and I never thought that the sound of the gecko, "kack keh, kack keh" as if chiming the late night hours, could be so soothing.

The first day after we came back to Bangkok - I was singing the Marseillaise on the journey home - I made numerous trips to stock up my refrigerator that the reception downstairs in my building thought I was having a party! (Yes, with I, me and myself.) Today the husband asked me if I'm going back next year, that got him a painful jab in the ribs.

moobaan.jpg

Edited by smo