Jomtien v Pattaya

champers

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

Am curious as to what you refer to as "a village in South Pattaya"

several places are called village, even if they have lost their village character already, like rungland village on south pattaya road, or keha village on tepprasit road. well known is the village on 3.road, near buffalo bar, not far away is a village on ko phai road, probably the most quiet of all in south pattaya. most villages are on the darkside, in jomtien and naklüa.
for me, the best place to live is the pratumnak hill, the "beverly hills of pattaya", very quiet residential area, good beaches, the best restaurants, like sugarhut and condom and cabbages, the pattaya park tower, buddha hill and radio station viewpoints ,bali hai pier, walking street and cosy beach in walking distance, and everything else not far away.

7 hours ago, champers said:

You have my sympathy. Is noise polluton widespread or just confined to particular areas?

View Talay 8 Marina Condo, has now become less desirable...

Owing to the very loud  late night outdoor cabaret,  at the adjacent De Varee Hotel.

19 minutes ago, maimeephom said:

Owing to the very loud  late night outdoor cabaret,  at the adjacent De Varee Hotel.

My mate, (who I was speaking to tonight), owns one here.

I'll ask him tomorrow if it's an issue for him.

Presumably you mean the one near Chaiyapreuk?

9 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

The OP said that he thought Jomtien was less noisy than Pattaya.  :)   Jomtien is the worst place I have ever lived in terms of noise pollution.......absolutely horrible at night and difficult to escape.  

It all depends on where you are. Some parts are very quiet, some are noisy, but nowhere I know of in Jomtien has noise every night that goes on most of the night as it does in many parts of Pattaya.

Of course one of the big disadvantages of Thailand is that noise can suddenly appear where there was none at all previously.

1 hour ago, maimeephom said:

I think that VT8 has long been quite noisy due to "blaring" loudspeaker trucks parked on Beach Road.

It could turn out to be a waste of time but if everyone who is being bothered by loud noise at night would call the Pattaya complaint hotline the new administration might take some notice.  Might be worth a try--they seem to be doing a few positive things.

I have to agree with the vote for Jomtien if you really must live in that part of the country, just check out the surrounding vicinity carefully for noisy 24 hour bars of any place you like.

I had some sound advice from a friend recently (that I intended to do anyway):

"rent it first."

I am a bit surprised you don't know the facts as you have been on TV for over 4 years?

Best of luck.

22 hours ago, maimeephom said:

Well I asked him and yes he can hear it. He's on a lower floor and said it isn't too bad for him it doesn't affect his quality of living there. However the higher up condo's get it worse.

Thank you to everyone for their replies. I have had some very helpful feedback. I am leaning more to staying where I am in Naklua. I am close enough to the main road and the beach but far enough away for it to be quiet. Jomtien is now more easy to visit - just one baht bus and I always have the option of changing my mind if needs must. Thanks again. Champers.

34 minutes ago, champers said:

Thank you to everyone for their replies. I have had some very helpful feedback. I am leaning more to staying where I am in Naklua. I am close enough to the main road and the beach but far enough away for it to be quiet. Jomtien is now more easy to visit - just one baht bus and I always have the option of changing my mind if needs must. Thanks again. Champers.

I think that's a very wise decision, you live currently in a quiet place and one baht ride away from Jomtien. 

There are cons and pros living everywhere, I would choose either Jomtien from soi 10 and up or Naklua . Naklua is closer to central Pattaya and if you want to stay close to the action you're only a few minutes away . In Jomtien it can be a hassle to get to central Pattaya , especially at night with all the traffic.  I think next time I would relocate to Naklua . 

Naklua is a good interim decision whilst assessing. It gives all the the options a run and allows great freedom to move around without the commitment of Pattaya or Jomtien. It has always been my base for the ease of movement and access over 15 years. That said the whole traffic issue in Pattaya is beyond sustainability, insufferable as i get older. This topic was an interesting comparative but I think I need the next which offers less life stress than either naklua or JT

Pattaya. Better in just about everyway with the exceptions of Jomtien having a slightly nicer beach and having the district's immigration office on your doorstep. You will also find Jomtien a pain in thevass without your own wheels.

13 hours ago, thairookie said:

Where is the mini-TOPS located ? :post-4641-1156694005:

The "mini-TOPS" is located on Thappraya Road between View Talay 2 and the "Hanuman" statue, on the same side of the street as VT2.  For a period of time it was a FamilyMart, but before and after that it was Tops.

23 minutes ago, thairookie said:

Why ?  Throngs of baht buses ply between Jomtien and Pattaya.  No ?

They ply Thappraya and Jomtien Beach Road.  You're out of luck if you're in the Cosy Beach area or the Pratamnak area--or other areas not served.  We used to live at View Talay 3 and it was a long trek uphill to catch a baht bus on the main route.  Pity they don't expand the routes to swing down Pratamnak Soi 6 and then back up one of the other sois, maybe 4 or 5, back to the main road.  Same with the Cosy Beach area--make a swing thru and then back out. 

2 hours ago, newnative said:

They ply Thappraya and Jomtien Beach Road.  You're out of luck if you're in the Cosy Beach area or the Pratamnak area--or other areas not served.  We used to live at View Talay 3 and it was a long trek uphill to catch a baht bus on the main route.  Pity they don't expand the routes to swing down Pratamnak Soi 6 and then back up one of the other sois, maybe 4 or 5, back to the main road.  Same with the Cosy Beach area--make a swing thru and then back out. 

So it's not entirely accurate to say if you are in Jomtien you need to have your own wheels.  It's Pratumak Hill that the baht buses discriminate, not Jomtien.  As far as I know, throngs of Russians will fill up the baht buses at Wat Chai Mongkol at Pattaya South/Pratumak Road intersection.  I know because I often I end up standing on the rear extended platform of the baht buses together with 3 burly Russians.  That route from Pattaya to Jomtien is a money-spinning machine for baht buses, so Jomtien is definitely well-served by baht buses.

55 minutes ago, thairookie said:

So it's not entirely accurate to say if you are in Jomtien you need to have your own wheels.  It's Pratumak Hill that the baht buses discriminate, not Jomtien.  As far as I know, throngs of Russians will fill up the baht buses at Wat Chai Mongkol at Pattaya South/Pratumak Road intersection.  I know because I often I end up standing on the rear extended platform of the baht buses together with 3 burly Russians.  That route from Pattaya to Jomtien is a money-spinning machine for baht buses, so Jomtien is definitely well-served by baht buses.

It's well-served by baht buses if you are close to Thappraya Road or Jomtien Beach Road.  Not well-served if you are in other areas of Jomtien. 

I tried Jomtien before I moved to Pattaya.  I thought it was terrible and boring comparing.  But I like the opportunity for numerous bars, girls, Starbucks, malls, the movies, restaurants, Big C, etc. all which Pattaya offers in much greater abundance.  I don't want to constantly take those crowded baht buses and drive over the hill to enjoy myself.

One other thing  and sorry but there seems to be a greater number of "off" people in Jomtien.  Don't know why it seemed that way.  Just odd people who looked semi-insane or borderline retarded.  Especially in those lower numbered Soi's. 

Edited by bkk6060

On 1/5/2017 at 11:50 PM, KittenKong said:

It all depends on where you are. Some parts are very quiet, some are noisy, but nowhere I know of in Jomtien has noise every night that goes on most of the night as it does in many parts of Pattaya.

Of course one of the big disadvantages of Thailand is that noise can suddenly appear where there was none at all previously.

HAHA.  You are so right about the noise appearing suddenly.  One day a quiet bar, the next a live band till 3am.

i spent 11 years looking for the perfect location.

finally bought a house.  the next day, 823642 bulldozers appeared and they are now building shopping malls and an airplane terminal next door.  construction until 2097.  they offered to buy me out for 200 baht.  

5 hours ago, puukao said:

i spent 11 years looking for the perfect location.

finally bought a house.  the next day, 823642 bulldozers appeared and they are now building shopping malls and an airplane terminal next door.  construction until 2097.  they offered to buy me out for 200 baht.  

If they are already building airport terminals and shopping malls, it's a matter of time before the value of your property would shoot up through the roof.

Imagine you own a house next to Terminal 21 or Central Festival.  Your neighbours are Hilton and Holiday Inn.  Fret not, pal.

I agree that Pattaya has a massive choice of places to eat and drink.

Good shopping malls and the like (I also use the cinemas there).

It isn't a place I'd want to live however, so I live in Jomtien but I'm thankfull Pattaya is there.