PM vows to get tough especially with passenger vans within 3 months from now

webfact

PM vows to get tough especially with passenger vans within 3 months from now

04010011.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has vowed to get tough with public buses and passenger vans to make sure that they strictly abide by the laws within in the next three months from now before the Songkran long holidays when a lot of people are expected to travel to upcountry provinces again.

Referring to the high road accidents and fatalities during the New Year’s long holidays despite the government’s “no drunk driving campaign, the prime minister said that his government had exhausted all the means to reduce the accidents and the resulting fatalities, “be it the use of Section 44 to impound cars, making arrests and everything and yet people still get killed.”

“Simple fact. If there are activities, there are consequences as occurred. Many people using cars, cheap oil, good roads and cars run faster while drunk driving remains. So what laws can solve these problems besides the spirit of joint participation of every one of us. You asked how they can be solved? We in the cabinet have discussed the issue long enough,” said the prime minister, adding that he preferred the next government to tackle the problems.

However, he said that he had one last option to deal with rogue public transport drivers within the next three months from now.

The prime minister said that every bus and passenger van driver must keep a logbook in which he or she must note down his/her name, the driving time, the route.

“Police at every checkpoint must check the logbooks. If a driver is found to have driven beyond the time limit, the vehicle must be impounded and all passengers told to get off to board a new van or bus and a new driver must be found,” said the prime minister.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-vows-get-tough-especially-passenger-vans-within-3-months-now/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-05

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not "20 years"?? surely  some mistake?

Lets place bets for the 3  month  "Songkran  Special Death" toll

Driver  arrives checkpoint, book says started at 11am current time is 10 am yeah thatll fool em...".I  havent been not driving for not  one  hour officer"

Pathetic.can the drivers even write? and can the Police even read?

"This govt has exhausted all mean" ..........FERKIN PATHETIC    -1/10 of  course if  each driver displayed a "  I hate the King"  sticker I bet action would be taken then eh

Edited by kannot

“Simple fact. If there are activities, there are consequences as occurred. Many people using cars, cheap oil, good roads and cars run faster while drunk driving remains  Speaks for itself thats where the problem lies ! Good to see he is Gunna Do something in the next 3 months but  adding that he preferred the next government to tackle the problems. So theres the answer leave it to beaver !

Just now, Crossy said:

Introduce the tachograph for all commercial and public transport vehicles as was don in the EU in the 1980s http://techsheer.com/tachograph-history/

Couple with sensible penalties for transgressions.

ENFORCE!!!

Unlikely in my lifetime :(

You mean like   promising to change that bald tyre  tomorrow  but I have to go now  officer as I have 20  passengers to cram into my 13  capacity max      "minideathvan /mobile crematorium"

I firmly believe that the Thai police and gov't don't really mind the carnage on the roads.   I have never seen anything that even remotely resembles an attempt to reduce it, other than rhetoric, and a few new laws, regulations and crackdowns.

I traveled at least 3 times a week to various provinces for work.   I seldom drove the speed limit, but I didn't drive particularly fast.   Most of the time, the faster moving traffic was moving really, really fast.   Combine that extreme speed with the number of overloaded, slow moving trucks and the various motorcycles and a recipe for disaster exists.   Seldom did I see a police officer actually patrolling.   

In most Western countries, people do tend to take safe driving a little more seriously, but the majority of people drive safely because they do not want to get caught, get a ticket and pay a fine.   These are almost always issued while the person is moving; not while waiting to get through a checkpoint, where you are likely to get nailed for outdated tags or some other nonsense that has little to do with safety.

Until the police are on the roads, patrolling and looking for dangerous drivers, we are all at risk.   

20 police officers sitting under an overhang taking turns stopping cars will prevent nothing as far as accident are concerned.   

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has vowed to get tough with public buses and passenger vans to make sure that they strictly abide by the laws within in the next three months from now before the Songkran long holidays when a lot of people are expected to travel to upcountry provinces again. ...adding that he preferred the next government to tackle the problems.

In a nutshell with the recent but not unexpected revelation that the elections will be delayed until 2018, the locals are presented with at least 3 more major highway holocausts, replete with the tiresome, faux public hand wringing by all and sundry in government... who never have to ride too far on Bangkok's public highways anyway.

All the road deaths that have happened during the xmas and new year break will be dealt with so all ashes removed from the ovens in all the wat's,

plenty of room for the upcoming songkran deaths,

Gas companies are happy , monks are useful at the time of burning,

as the heat and smoke dissipates from the open hole, 

everyone who has attended will move on with their lives,

As the PM has already indicated this is in the too hard basket for him and his government, hand  balling the onus on to who ever comes next, the  harsh reality of road deaths in this country is the lack of enforcement, complacency by the police, Leadership is not happening here.

Tried everything?  How about police patrolling instead of those stupid check points.  How about proper training, pay and equipment for police.  How about serious penalty for violations.  Tried everything my ass.

Edited by jerojero
Spelling

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Introduce the tachograph for all commercial and public transport vehicles as was done in the EU in the 1980s http://techsheer.com/tachograph-history/

Couple with sensible penalties for transgressions.

ENFORCE!!!

Unlikely in my lifetime :(

Yes agreed and a speed limiter, set to 100km/h.

The lack of enforcing traffic laws here is really bad, a van with bald tires was allowed to continue as late a yesterday I think.

Fixed daily income for the van drivers too will help and not how many passengers/trips they do in a day.

If there are things in this country that are plentiful and never seems to run out

of are the vows, crackdowns and clampdowns.... most which are nothing

more than a lip service and for show off consumptions.....

I've said it before that the people actually with the power to do something about the appalling carnage on Thai roads seem not to care. The Prime Ministers statement in the OP not only confirms that but also goes to show he and his team are thoroughly clueless as to how to solve it. He should be ashamed but then again poor people on buses and using the highways have next to no priorities in the scheme of things here.

And if the next government doesn't sort it out, you can have another coup.

It always surprises me how people's minds work. In Thailand you have very dangerous roads. Anyone at anytime could very easily be killed when out on the road. Yet, just after a bomb going off and killing people - people will band together and say they are a strong people. People will wear t-shirts and mourn the people killed. You have this big crash with 25 people dead and it seems to just be the norm. 

Road accidents can be massively reduced through education and law enforcement. So many people die on the roads here and it seems 'accident' always gets the blame. 

Transponders are the answer for speeding and regular enforced inspections are the best option for maintenance. You can not stop an operator from keeping a brand new set of tires at the shop and then changing them out to another vehicle after inspection. Transponders work, period, they are best because they require the least oversight, drive past a sensor at mile zero, drive past another at mile sixty, if it pinged less than an hour you're guilty. Tachographs are old technology, I used pliers to overwind the tach which disabled it fifty years ago, if discovered at a scale company fine for faulty equipment, not a driver fine. Last trucks I drove had Qualcoms which had sensors for speed, engine running or off etc., no fooling those.

Blimey, the PM has come up with a completely flawed plan to mimic tachographs used in commercial vehicles across many countries. Why oh why can't he see that there is no enforcement of road laws beyond the tea money road blocks.

I have never seen anyone chased by the police for speeding, never seen anyone pulled over for reckless driving such as tailgating, undertaking, lane hopping etc,, The speed limits mean nothing here and frankly the Thai people just cannot drive. 

It all starts with education when you learn how to drive, this continues to the driving test and finally the enforcement on the roads. No amount of tea money road blocks will cure the problem. Law enforcement should be exactly that, law enforcement. It is obvious to everyone except the Thai people.

Until they get their head out of their A**ses nothing will change and people will continue to die.

Pathetic. Why not do something before now? What are laws for? It seems everyone wipes their a$#es on them.
No awareness. No public information. No enforcement.
People need to know that they'll be in shit street if the don't follow the law.
Archaic society. Never change.
Colonisation would have sorted everything out.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app