Leo beer now tastes bad

singburisam

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

Red Horse is pretty good - but not easy to find..

Red horse is the cheapest beer available on the Thai market isn't it?

No doubt it will be much better than all the premium beers, but I guess high alcohol content is the main factor for your taste buds.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, jobin said:

I'm liking the Cheers Riceberry, blue label.  At 48 baht per 500 ml, not bad al all.

Cheers riceberry beer doesn't have any blue in the label, it is black with gold

50 minutes ago, jobin said:

Not available here but when i'm in Hong Kong i can buy at under 50 baht per 500 ml a Danish beer, Bear Beer. I can choose, 5%, 7.7% or 12% alcohol beer for that price, lager or stout. 

Sound good to you?  look here  http://www.harboe.com/en/

So 12% alcohol beer cost the same as 5% alcohol? I guess you must be drunk to write so many untruths in just 2 posts.

Edited by Allstars

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

Most so called" Beers" mentioned here are not beers at all, they are lagers

What you consider to be "real" beer is Ale Beer as opposed to Lager Beer.  Both are beers:

What is the difference between lager and ale? - About Beer Magazine

"If you inquire of the average beer geek about the differences between ale and lager, you will probably be told that ale is brewed with top-fermenting yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and lager with bottom-fermenting yeast (Saccharomyces uvarum). End of conversation.

But there’s much more to tell. First of all, ale and lager are both beers; that is, they are fermented from grain. The major difference between these two beer families stems from the temperature at which fermentation is carried out. And the importance of these differences in temperature is that chemical reactions happen more slowly at lower temperatures."

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

There's also Beer Lao Dark (black).

I buy both and always mix it 50/50, wonderful, but of course personal taste.

Other beers are also brewed in Laos, including Black Rice Beer, LaneXang, Carlsberg (locally brewed as I understand), Tuborg (brewed in Laos) and a few others. But the best country for beers is Vietnam where you can get some of the best crisp pilsners around, not to mention some of those microbreweries in Hanoi where they brew up a Czech "blond" and "black" beers. They also have something unique called Bia Hoi which translates as "Fresh Beer" which is low alcohol (usually!) and so you can scoff huge quantities while eating some gorgeous exotic local delicacies while sitting precariously on a low plastic stool.

7 minutes ago, twizzian said:

In my drinking days it was Beer or Lager, and all the Thai variants would have been classed as Lager not beer or real Ale.

I must be out of touch on modern trends though.

Leo sure isn't a lager, but many of the others are.

Personally, I stick with Archa, but unfortunately it's not sold in restaurants. Leo is way too stale for my taste, always thought it tasted like water. I'll still drink it if there are some left over and I run out of beer late at night, but that's about it. Each to their own :)

12 hours ago, alien365 said:

I'm not impressed by the change either, they've just filled it with more gas and less taste. I guess I'll be drinking more archa but it's difficult to find when eating out and it's by no means great either.

Regarding beer Lao, Ive tried it a few times and found it to be overrated but I guess that's just personal taste. Personally I'm missing my Stella, Kronenburg, Erdinger and Estrella beer, what I would consider a tasty tipple.

I upgraded  from Archa to Leo some time back and it was an improvement. I too find Leo has recently deteriorated and it is off my shopping list... taking a while to get the last few bottles consumed.

In Pattaya, my preferred beer is San Mig Light however can't find it in many places when we go up to the house so I usually take a box with me or drink Leo.TGF's preference has always been Leo and she noticed the change immediately and when we could no longer find the old stock in Patts she changed to Chang. Interestingly, at the house for a week over New Year where in the village, Leo has always been the beer that is being drunk (but whisky or Lao Kao more popular) i noticed a lot more Chang being drunk.

Apparently the change in Leo has been hotly criticised on Thai language social media since the change.

Wouldn't be the first company that has shot themselves in the foot with a change to the reciepe for their product.

"Lao beer is 50 percent owned by Carlberg "

Yes correct, and that is what seems to be the problem. Northern European marketing folks trying their hand on SE Asian taste improvements. I came back from Laos with 5 cases of the new Beer Lao gold (tastes as sugery as Carlsberg) which was recommended for farang by the beer shop in Vientienne. I also bought one case of the basic cheap Beer Lao. This turned out to be the only one drinkable.

The 'less beer in bottle - less alcohol content - higher price' idea was first tested by Chang last year. Or was it in 2015 already. That is what put the old timer farangs off their beloved Chang and they now seem to drift to Archa. So do I. The fact it only comes in large bottles leads me to change strategy and I now start putting nam kheng into the glass when it starts to get anything less than ice-cold (the beer is now called "Archa Light"). A practice that proves you have passed the first decade in country and become wiser in many ways.

Cheers, Fritzz

2 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Had a bottle yesterday and it tasted fine. It was the new 620 bottle and it was a struggle to fit it into the condoms that I've used for 630 bottles before. Have the bottles got fatter?

No, Smaller. Are you trying to put a large bottle into the Leo Lek condom?

LEO IS BEER????

IMHO the closest description is cat piss.

To my chagrin, Chang has also been ruined. I now prefer Singha.

I have now moved to the Philippines, where a LITRE of San Mig Pilsen costs 85 Pesos (about 60 Bht)

A full bottle of Tangduay Rum 40% (750ml) costs  102 Pesos  (about 75 Bht)

And the Immigration are much more friendly too!

15 minutes ago, Fritzz said:

No, Smaller. Are you trying to put a large bottle into the Leo Lek condom?

I did not say larger which your reply of smaller would fit. I said fatter (diameter) As I never drink a small bottle I have no small condoms so your flippant comment is uncalled for.