NLA member proposes 90 km/h speed limit for passenger vans

webfact

NLA member proposes 90 km/h speed limit for passenger vans

IMG_8419.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A member of the National Legislative Assembly has proposed a set of measures to resolve the problem of road accidents caused by passenger vans in light of a fatal accident in Chon Buri in which 25 people were killed when a packed van crashed with a pickup truck.

Making his proposal in his Facebook post, assemblyman Somchai Sawaengkarn said the maximum speed of all passenger vans must be set at 80-90 km/hour. Any driver found to have tampered with the speedometer of his van to increase the maximum speed will have his operating license and driver’s license suspended with the owner of the van fined.

Each van will be fitted with a device which will automatically record the speed of the van, the time the ignition system is started and a GPS, said the assemblyman.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nla-member-proposes-90-kmh-speed-limit-passenger-vans/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-06

Each van will be fitted with a device which will automatically record the speed of the van, the time the ignition system is started and a GPS, said the assemblyman.

The device is called a tachograph and has been a legal requirement for all public transit and commercial vehicles in Europe and probably the US since the 1980s.

Now, these things are not cheap, who is going to pay?

Who is going to enforce?

Are the penalties going to be sensible?

I am not holding my breath :(

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The device is called a tachograph and has been a legal requirement for all public transit and commercial vehicles in Europe and probably the US since the 1980s.

Who is going to enforce?

They aren't cheap. Nor is the hardware needed to check the tachygraphs. Probably cheaper than the truck weighing stations set up along the main roads and checking stations could be installed there.

Cost - benefit analyses over the years in Europe have shown that they are definitely worthwhile. I doubt that the fare Bangkok - Chiang mai would go up by more than ‎฿50.-, don't you?

Anyway, it isn't going to happen.

36 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I think the police actually enforcing the existing laws would be better than speed limiters.

Agreed, but as has been noted in other threads when do you actually see a traffic car patrolling looking for moving traffic offences? They are much more interested in the easy targets of expired tax, no helmets, obvious overloading which they can net at checkpoints.

These days a tachograph can be inside a cellphone easy, in fact every phone with gps already has one.

Pleasy also force them to use ONLY the left lane on the roads so they can't cut off or push other vehicles of the road.

Better just  totally stop with those vans, they cause congestion in the city with their behaviour infront of malls.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Agreed, but as has been noted in other threads when do you actually see a traffic car patrolling looking for moving traffic offences? They are much more interested in the easy targets of expired tax, no helmets, obvious overloading which they can net at checkpoints.

Then I've to conclude that all TV members are respectful drivers who never exceed the speed limit. I've personally received a couple of official letters with a nice picture of my car and its license plate together with the record of the speed I was driving at at the moment the shot was taken. Printed below was  an invitation to pay a THB 800.00 fine at the nearest police station. The last time it was on the way to Ranong, unfortunately I spotted too late the cop with his speed gun who was hiding on the side of the road.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Who is going to enforce?

Since that time oldtimer we have invented the GPS ;-) .  And as most recent cars have one, I don't think to download and install the relevant software will be too expensive

Image result for old-timer

Edited by JohnnyJazz

I've had a couple of nice photos too JJ.

But, whilst speed enforcement cameras have their place, they cannot detect crazy driving and other moving traffic offences. Also without appropriate signage there's no deterrent effect.

Get the cops out there in nice visible "jam-sandwiches", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_sandwich_(police_car) start pulling drivers for speeding, aggressive behaviour or just for a random drink/drugs/licence/insurance check. enforce the law we already have.

By the way, an increasing number of new cars do NOT come with GPS, the manufacturers are expecting that people will use their phones. A "real" tachograph has anti-tamper mechanisms to ensure it actually does what it says on the tin and can be used in legal proceedings.

EDIT But this free App could be a good starting point for the enforcers, it won't be legally binding as it's not secure and is intended for drivers to self-monitor.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ztap.tachoguardlite&hl=en

Give this assembly man a like.

If thats how you do it on facebook.

80 km would sure help with most losing controll,but it still wont stop the poor driving.but its a start.

They will still think they own the road and will still,cut people off,turn in front ,tailgate,drive 90 km in school zones and side alleys,and generally piss me off every few minutes.

My 8k i drive from apartment to boat yard includes 5 or more bone head manuvers by mini vans and another 4 or 5 with

18 wheelers and buses and motorbikes.

Shoot lets just do the whole lot all vehicles 80 km max.

Motorbikes too.

13 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Just fit an engine governer. Limit the vans speed to 70 kph. Then have all the drivers sit a mandatory IQ test.. 

Great idea, alas all drivers sitting the test will fail

Just get self drive vehicles, the odds must then be in the passengers favour  

Thailand should take the initiative and force all commercial vehicles to use new smart boxes that also slow the vehicle down if there is an obstacle,

restricors may also be a good idea

minivan drivers are the worst on the roads here

or they should do as they are in signapore, and start to test driverless vehicles

i think they should challenge google  to have their cars here

a driverless car surviving in thailand would probably be the ultimate test to prove the cars are safe to use worldwide

Edited by mki8

Maybe one of the best forms of restricting the speed of these vans is via social media...with the increasing numbers of vehicles on Thai roads now having dash-cams maybe the good old Gen will allow these vids to be posted & the nation can see the van & it's reg No.

(Or submit the clip to a Gov website)

Also spread the word to minivan drivers that the nation's drivers are gonna film them & show their actions ..!

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Waiting for the day when the headline says Imposes instead of proposes. 

Waiting for the day when errant drivers, especially drunk drivers, all vehicles are fined very heavily, say 50,000Baht and license cancelled one year, Second offense mandatory jail 6 months and license cancelled forever. Any furthe r transgressions, any type, mandatory jail for 2 years.

Owners of vehicles involved mandatory fines starting at 500,000Baht. Regular transgressions go to jail. 

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Then have all the drivers sit a mandatory IQ test.. 

Bad idea !!!

It would bring the "national" average IQ (what was done by a Thai university under students) from 92 to below 80.

Thailand would lose face !!!

Max the speed limit on mini vans busses trucks and pick ups till 85 km.ban these vehicles from using the right lanes.this will surely bring accidents down so makes it more pleasant and save on these roads for us all.btw in Europe this been implemented for years already.

7 hours ago, Don Mega said:

so at 90km/h or less people dont die in accidents ?

Yes and then there is the sleep deprivation problem. There should be logbooks of hours behind the wheel. Another is a alarm that sounds if the driver starts wandering all over the road (before he hits someone) ooops stop now we are over budget. I guess we now know why the tickets are so reasonably priced.