SURVEY: Phasing out Minivans -- Good Idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Phasing out Minivans -- Good Idea?  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Transport Ministry proposes to phase out the use of minivans over a period of time.   In your opinion, will this result in fewer accidents?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

It's like the saying, guns don't kill - it's people.

I have never seen a minivan ignore or resist transportation rules, regulations and laws.

Since the problem lies with inconsistent and/or lack of law enforcement of people in the transportation industry, all the elimination of minivans will do is result in even larger traffic accidents because of larger buses and create a black market of completely uncontrolled minivan transportation.

The number one problem here is poor law enforcement and the related corruption that goes with it. If Prayut fixed the Police Dept. (Admittedly an insurmountable task) he would find many problem areas would get better.  I have lived in Silom for 12 yr and I have never seen a policeman patrolling the sidewalks- where are they hiding ?  They only show up for special efforts/events and then you will see many more than needed and they just stand around.

Why would it reduce the number of accidents?

You still have the same drivers driving different vehicles with the same attitude.

Imagine those same drivers with pick-ups crammed with people in the back. Less protection in an accident.

You still have the same drivers driving different vehicles with the same attitude.
Imagine those same drivers with pick-ups crammed with people in the back. Less protection in an accident.

I have to agree. I think there can be some safety improvements in that some vehicles have more modern passenger safety equipment as newer models commonly do..

... but.... I think the biggest factor is going to be operator (driver) issues, followed closely by driving/road conditions..

... and until those two issues are materially improved, I don't see changing vehicles will really make a sustainable improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ridiculous solution to the problem. The only way to solve the problem is to teach the drivers how to drive, make them pass a REAL driving test and issue a special licence showing that they are qualified to drive such a vehicle and carry paying passengers. Also to introduce properly enforced rules regarding driving hours, safety, speed etc.

Anybody caught driving without the proper licence should be prosecuted and thrown in jail.

A person cannot operate a vehicle safely if he is doing it for hours on end with no proper rest, at best his concentration levels are too low, at worst he simply drops off to sleep. Either way the results are catastrophe.

Education, special licences and proper rules, it is the only way.

I live 90 km outside Bangkok, however, I would rather walk there than go in one of those vans, driven 100% by below standard drivers.

12 minutes ago, loong said:

You can't squash as many people into a pickup as into a minivan - meaning that the manically-driven vehicles I frequently encounter on Highway 3 in my neck of the woods thundering their way between Pattaya and the Cambodian border, for instance, would probably start breeding like rabbits!

I really have mixed feelings about this. Poor Thais love these minivans and use them a lot for transportation. They're cheap, they're flexible, they're fast.

I hate them as much as anyone while on the roads. Years of driving in Thailand have taught me to consider them as the most dangerous and unpredictable thing you encounter on the roads.

I can foresee what's going to happen with this new smart transportation scheme the government has come up with: it will drive prices up and poor people will bear the pain once again.

Oh yes, sure you can try to explain to them that this will be safer and such. Good luck with this. Life is cheap in Thailand.

Excellent idea to upgrade to bigger, safer, better buses.  Thailand is at the point where it needs to take the next steps with its public transportation.  The basics have been in place for awhile.  Now, it's time to upgrade everything.  In Bangkok, that means a total overhaul of the buses, more train cars added to the subway lines to ease the crowded conditions, trains running much more frequently, and efforts started to limit the number of private cars in certain areas of the city.  In Pattaya, it's time for a real public transportation system to be started.  A recent trip to Hong Kong really opened my eyes. Great bus system, and really excellent subway--we rarely waited more than a couple of minutes for the next train.  The trains all had lots of cars so it wasn't that crowded. Great sidewalks, not that many private cars on the roads, few motorcycles (think we only saw 5 or 6 the whole trip), and excellent management of pedestrians.   Time for Thailand to step it up.

If it is in reference to larger (public) vehicles catching more airtime than private transport, then I believe it would be smarter to put a limit on how many hours between sleep a driver should do.  There is only so much that M-150 can do for a driver.

Driving licenses coupled to proof of competence training as mentioned above would help more.

More training, review, drug testing, & inspections; coupled with centralised instant computerizarion with regard to violations/violators (for both equipment & driver/operators) .... Roadside spot drug/alcohol testing......

High powered commercial type licencing requirements - procedures & corporate maximum insurance coverages required covering deaths & hospitalization, injury, trip interuption, lawsuit costs - for passengers and comphehensive for other vehicles......

Diesel powered only allowed.....The LPG/CNG are rolling flame throwers/napalm bombs piloted by profiteering kamakazi minded drivers & operators ....

For a start....

It's way too easy to finance a vehicle & suddenly be in the livery business....

Nothing will change until there is proper enforcement.

One issue that a few have mentioned is that the mnivan modifications make them unsafe for what they are used for, so there is that aspect. However, still the biggest issue is the terrible standard of driving and poor enforcement of traffic laws by The BIB.

One thing that they could do, is have special licenses for any drivers who are carrying the public - that would mean extra training etc

There are so many problems here with the driving that everything neds to change, the road deaths and accident rates are unacceptable

I think that phasing out 40,000 minibuses would mean less accidents from  ,as one poster put it 'Flame throwers piloted by kamikaze drivers '

There are sure to be safer roads , what worries me is upping the ante to same drivers , bigger buses , pity it is being phased out not 40,000 off the road in one day.

Whether it is buses; mini vans or any other type of public transportation- the problem is with the owners who refuse to pay their drivers properly; maintain the vehicles; train and educate the drivers as to what proper behavior is. The owners of all public transportation are wealthy and influential and herein lies the first problem. The drivers are paid by load so the more they drive and the longer they drive makes them more money. Unless the Government cracks down on the owners nothing will change.

I doubt very much this policy will be implemented and think it is the usual " hot air " from government ministers to give the impression they actually intend to do something. Every foreign resident or long term stayer in Thailand knows the reasons for these accidents. 1. Next to zero driver training or experience with the exception of being self taught. 2. Rampant corruption meaning they can usually pay their way out of most situations. 3. Ridiculous speeding. 4. Unsafe vehicles with virtually no checks and balances. This covers large buses and trucks as well as minibuses and bikes. 5. They seem to have an incomprehensible idea that they, and they alone, have the right of way regardless of circumstances. This again, can be attributed to no driver competence tests and poor driving standards. 6. No serious or enforceable bans or punishments for serious driving infractions to deter them, such as cars being seized and crushed for lack of insurance, not road worthy and driver disqualifications. This is now what occurs in Europe.

Thailand has the second or third worst driving record in the world for accidents, deaths and road carnage. The roads themselves are not to blame as they are better than they are in many countries. It is the mentality of the people themselves.

A serious road safety campaign including TV and social media as well as driver awareness programmes, a brutal and sustained campaign against drink driving, drug related driving, penalties for badly maintained vehicles etc.

But as always, it isn't going to happen, there is no will no see it through, and as with everything else and every other drama of the day; once it is out of the spotlight , it is out of sight and out of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Fit GPS to vans with mandatory speed and if they exceed it, fire them. The police won't control them, so the minivan owners need to do it. It is somewhat similar to giving a moron a gun in the USA. They won't discipline themselves, so somebody else has to do it for them. Probably a bad analogy.....555

Its an arse about face decision.I was on the Sukhumvit the other day,doing a respectable 60/80 kpm A pick up came belting past me and in the open back was at least 8 kids.Why is this not against the law? They want to ban minivans,but as one poster said," minivans dont kill people,its usually its the drivers that do that. So what is the difference between a van driver that has been dosing himself with dope to keep himself awake after a late night and a guy who has been given the responsibility of taking kids to a park,or a attraction,or whatever,and has done exactly the same thing.Also should there not be a law that makes the driver/company responsible for the condition of the van/car that he drives.Last week,i noticed a small bulge on my front tyre.I dont but second hand tyre's,so this cost me 300 b to replace,but i did it immediately rather than risk my and my wifes life.

I fail to see the sense in this decision.It seems to me that when a law is passed,the law is short stopped and does not include other related by association.

33 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Thai style joke here. When my time is die has come, I want to die just like my dad, in his sleep.

NOT like the other 49 screaming passengers on his bus.

thats gold mate , right there . you just nailed the epitomy of thainess .  ROTFLMFAO.  :clap2:

Edited by sirmud63

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Fit GPS to vans with mandatory speed and if they exceed it, fire them. The police won't control them, so the minivan owners need to do it. It is somewhat similar to giving a moron a gun in the USA. They won't discipline themselves, so somebody else has to do it for them. Probably a bad analogy.....555

That won't work a fine won't stop speeding put a limitar on all bus/coach/mini bus/HGV.  That will stop the speeding 

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

It's like the saying, guns don't kill - it's people.

I have never seen a minivan ignore or resist transportation rules, regulations and laws.

Since the problem lies with inconsistent and/or lack of law enforcement of people in the transportation industry, all the elimination of minivans will do is result in even larger traffic accidents because of larger buses and create a black market of completely uncontrolled minivan transportation.

Why does the solution always look worse than the problem. Drivers regulations tightened police scrutiny ratcheted way up and that is a start.