SURVEY: Phasing out Minivans -- Good Idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Phasing out Minivans -- Good Idea?  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, loong said:

Why would it reduce the number of accidents?

You still have the same drivers driving different vehicles with the same attitude.

Imagine those same drivers with pick-ups crammed with people in the back. Less protection in an accident.

I think with the same  untrained drivers with no log book enforcement, the same owners that forget "maintenance " , police not enforcing the rules, there will be more victims as the micro-bus can carry about the double capacity of a minivan.   Drivers will give the same excuse....."brake failure"

The problem is not the vehicle but the systems that allow those people to go around the transportation laws and rules.

1 hour ago, DekDaeng said:

Exactly how is a 20 passenger bus safer that a 14 passenger bus?

Would like to advise Toyota -

They're two different things.  A van isn't a bus.  All other things being equal, I feel safer in a bus than a van, even if it's a small bus.  For me, bigger is safer when it comes to Thai roads. I feel pretty safe when I ride the bus to the airport but feel very unsafe and not in control when I am in a van being driven like a racecar--I'm always looking around and wondering how the hell I am going to get out of the sardine can in an accident.  I realize I can die riding in a bus, too, but I think my odds are better.

Yes, also remove the bahtbus totally, for BKK at least. They hold up traffic and just do what pleases them...driving very slow on the fast lanes, not using indicators, cutting other drivers off.

We need good new buses and busstops..And real police who keeps the busstops clean from parked cars.

`I may be wrong It all boils down to CORRUPTION AND LOW PAY FOR DRIVERS. Did you ask the driver how much he was paid? Did you ask him if he had a holiday even to the neighbor country like Malaysia?

He lives from hand to mouth. Is he overworked? If yes, why (corruption allows that of course).

I know the Shell petroleum company pay their drivers for the petroleum transport vehicle very good pay and I seldom see accident of their transports on the road.

13 hours ago, Srikcir said:

It's like the saying, guns don't kill - it's people.

I have never seen a minivan ignore or resist transportation rules, regulations and laws.

Since the problem lies with inconsistent and/or lack of law enforcement of people in the transportation industry, all the elimination of minivans will do is result in even larger traffic accidents because of larger buses and create a black market of completely uncontrolled minivan transportation.

"all the elimination of minivans will do is result in even larger traffic accidents "

And enrich the owners of the transportation alternatives, which is probably what's REALLY going on here...

The drivers and the time frames they have to complete the journey (especially visa runs) is the cause of the accidents as well as the poor condition of the vehicles.

the drivers are possibly some of the most erratic on the road however if mini vans are phased out then pickups, trucks, buses will be used to replace them - driven by the same incompetent drivers trying to keep to the same unrealistic schedule.

If phased out it will reduce the number of minivan accidents. The vans are a necessity in Thailand. Education and regulations can help to reduce accidents.

Driver training courses for motorcycles and cars should be part of every school curriculum.

21 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It's not the minivan that's dangerous per se it's the driver. A crazy driver in a bus will kill as many as a crazy driver in a minivan.

Seems to be many - if not more - horrific big bus accidents in the news.....Both are constant & ongoing so putting people in an in between vehicle would not seem to be a workable answer.....

I have been here 2 years. I used to make visa runs to Laos, the first was a minibus, I was fortunate/smart, I told the driver if I sit in the back of the bus I will vomit. I sat in the front passengers seat up & back. our driver was a safe driver, stopped every couple of hours for a break. I noticed many police checkpoints along the way. Instead of eliminating the vans, I would suggest they require a special license for commercial drivers with additional police permits required to carry passengers for hire, as well as a requirement to maintain a logbook of how long they have been on the road at a given time. Then at these checkpoints, instead of officers routinely waving the vans through they stop & check permits & logs.

Sitting in front passenger seat might not be the greatest idea, though. That's a seat I would avoid, in my own language we call it the "the fatality's seat".

OTOH if that allows you to monitor the driver, I get your point.

1 hour ago, Lannig said:

Sitting in front passenger seat might not be the greatest idea, though. That's a seat I would avoid, in my own language we call it the "the fatality's seat".

OTOH if that allows you to monitor the driver, I get your point.

actually I sat in the back once returning from Cambodia, I did get sick and every bump I hit my head. I understood I was paying for a full size bus all the way to BKK, never again. 

On 1/8/2017 at 2:01 PM, loong said:

Why would it reduce the number of accidents?

You still have the same drivers driving different vehicles with the same attitude.

Imagine those same drivers with pick-ups crammed with people in the back. Less protection in an accident.

Maybe in your perspective. I have been travelling the Chonburi - Pattaya/Bangkok routes on a regular basis for well over 10 years. Back in the early days before the minivans there were a great deal of normal buses on the roads and relatively few accidents. These days it seems like a minivan accident around Chonburi nearly every week. Get rid of the minivans and bring back the big buses then everyone will be a lot safer.

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

Maybe in your perspective. I have been travelling the Chonburi - Pattaya/Bangkok routes on a regular basis for well over 10 years. Back in the early days before the minivans there were a great deal of normal buses on the roads and relatively few accidents. These days it seems like a minivan accident around Chonburi nearly every week. Get rid of the minivans and bring back the big buses then everyone will be a lot safer.

I prefer to ride full size busses instead of minivans myself, but I prefer to drive myself or fly.  But I do not wish to blame the vehicle for accidents, I tend to place the  blame for accidents on human error. A lack of regulations or enforcement of regulations could reduce accidents.  As I stated earlier.

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, pgrahmm said:

More training, review, drug testing, & inspections; coupled with centralised instant computerizarion with regard to violations/violators (for both equipment & driver/operators) .... Roadside spot drug/alcohol testing......

High powered commercial type licencing requirements - procedures & corporate maximum insurance coverages required covering deaths & hospitalization, injury, trip interuption, lawsuit costs - for passengers and comphehensive for other vehicles......

Diesel powered only allowed.....The LPG/CNG are rolling flame throwers/napalm bombs piloted by profiteering kamakazi minded drivers & operators ....

For a start....

It's way too easy to finance a vehicle & suddenly be in the livery business....

You have the wrong impression of gas.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:07 PM, fruitman said:

Yes, also remove the bahtbus totally, for BKK at least. They hold up traffic and just do what pleases them...driving very slow on the fast lanes, not using indicators, cutting other drivers off.

We need good new buses and busstops..And real police who keeps the busstops clean from parked cars.

Actually non corruption killed that one.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

You have the wrong impression of gas.

They put the connectors over the engine under the hood passenger side......In a moderate front crash the tubing/connection is hit... If it leaks the gas pools downward to the hot engine - instant bbq.....

Also saw a couple in the US where something happened to the control mechanisms & literally cooked the engine , these were both Fords - they'd backfired....

Had a 24 unit apartment house a few miles away in the states go off in a huge fireball - fortunately most people were at work at the time.....Snowy season - one unchecked gas leak pooled & a spark found it = boom.....

In Ca we (Dodge) were contacted by PG&E about doing conversions that would allow people to refuel at home....We actually did a few but PG&E scrapped the project over safety concerns.....

Look at some of the parking structures in CM with signs of no CNG/LPG vehicles allowed....

Most, if not all condos don't allow it - again it pools downward.....

I know enough about it that I won't let my family in one.....The people that perished probably thought it was safe too......

Edited by pgrahmm

You can not "phase out" the crazy drivers, but you can make it more difficult for them to speed. Micro Buses almost certainly cannot go 160 km/h as most Minivans can. That alone might already help, but of course the main culprits are the drivers, not the vehicles.

There needs to be an APP where passengers can immediately report speeding Vans and if one van driver has been reported many times, he should get his driving license suspended.