Smoke in air in Pattaya seems extreme today?!

joeyg

Any ideas?  I've tried to check weather websites, air quality websites etc.  The closest I could get was Rayong that has a "good reading" at 33.  Bangkok sounds horrid at 199.

Here in Naklua my eyes are burning and feeling tightness in my chest.  Reminds me of wildfires in Southern California.  It seems to have been on and off over the past couple of weeks.  Today it is extreme and really is "painful."

In Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai one local said "it was like breathing in hell."  Think it was a current report, worst ever up there.

Sad to see the air and water being destroyed here in what was a heavenly environment years ago...

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by joeyg

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Clear in our area Pattaya today Naklua no smoke

I'm in Naklua.  Cannot see Koh Larn.  Bali Hai Pier area very dense smoke.  Hard to see shoreline.  I'm on the 21st floor looking due South, near The Centara Grand Hotel. My eyes are on fire and can taste smoke in my mouth?

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

I'm in Naklua.  Cannot see Koh Larn.  Bali Hai Pier area very dense smoke.  Hard to see shoreline.  I'm on the 21st floor looking due South, near The Centara Grand Hotel. My eyes are on fire and can taste smoke in my mouth?

Not see any of that from our 18th floor condo. Funny that

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Not see any of that from our 18th floor condo. Funny that

Amazing I must be in a "micro climate" phenomenon.  Or you are?  Yep definitely cannot see Koh Larn and "chocking here.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can't feel or see the smoke but the air quality the last couple days has gone downhill especially yesterday. Lots of people incl Thais coming down with coughs and colds

Yes.  Lot of sick people around.  I often think of Pattaya being a giant Petri dish.  With all the international arrivals, generally substandard cleanliness, concentration of population etc.etc.  It's a ticking time bomb for an epidemic.

I spent some time in Epidemiology.  Somewhat of a "medical nerd"  I pay attention to the different "coughs" around me.  I know weird but interesting to see patterns of pathology when you can.

Another "smoke in the air", "can't see Ko Lan" thread.

What gives you the idea that this is smoke/smog?

How often during the year can you see Ko Lan?

Do you know that you are living at a big gulf/sea?

It's not a desert area.

Do you know that the weather all over Thailand is unusually humid for this time of year?

Relative humidity in Pattaya today is 80%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can't feel or see the smoke but the air quality the last couple days has gone downhill especially yesterday. Lots of people incl Thais coming down with coughs and colds

Sure, Thais get sick when temperatures drop to below 20 C (70 F).

Also the flu exists in Thailand too.

"coming down": do you refer to people coming from Isaan or the north where it is much cooler than in Pattaya?

Edited by Sunak
grammar

51 minutes ago, Sunak said:

Another "smoke in the air", "can't see Ko Lan" thread.

What gives you the idea that this is smoke/smog?

How often during the year can you see Ko Lan?

Do you know that you are living at a big gulf/sea?

It's not a desert area.

Do you know that the weather all over Thailand is unusually humid for this time of year?

Relative humidity in Pattaya today is 80%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist

Not sure where you are exactly or where that reading comes from but the humidity does not feel anywhere near that high to me in Central Pattaya?

From the ground level it is not that noticeable, but from my 15th floor balcony looking south there is definitely a haze. There have been days in the past month or so when it has been much worse. Some days I have felt it when it comes to breathing, but today it's not that bad.

It happens every year. Have no idea why.  Maybe people to the south and in Malaysia are burning to clear fields.Maybe just low hanging clouds/ fog that comes with cooler temperatures. . No noticeable smell to it.

Edited by Suradit69

6 minutes ago, champers said:

Chinese fossil fuel consumption is at it's peak and maybe the prevailing winds are bringing some of their smog over here.

Sorry, but fortunately that does not happen.

And the terrible smog is in northern China.

About 3200 km / 2000 mi away!

Those winds would have passed by our area long before.

Thanks heaven not!

China "winds" brings winter cold but not thick smog.

Again: it's not smog!

Purple haze... it's not.

Ever considered that it can be misty without any smoke/smog? As in foggy? And the smell that different people smell has some possible explanations too - one doesn't even have to go off on a conspiracy theory. It's in the same category as being able to smell oncoming summer rain, or winter snow.

when the wind blows from the north, pattaya receives the exhaust from the oil refinery at lam chabang which is only 30 kms away. otherwise the air is good with a nice sea breeze.

Edited by jobsworth
comma

7 hours ago, joeyg said:

In Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai one local said "it was like breathing in hell."  Think it was a current report, worst ever up there.

Air smells pretty clean at the moment in CM. Pollution could be spotty I suppose. Usually by now the air has the taint of ash in it. Had rains off and on since the first of January which may have delayed things.

The simple fact is that air pollution in Pattaya is high most of the time. Pattaya is a very unhealthy and dirty city to live in. It is way overbuilt. Couple this with the high temperature and humidity one's quality of life in the city is very poor.  Life on the darkside is much better and the further you get away from Pattaya it gets even better.

30 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The simple fact is that air pollution in Pattaya is high most of the time. Pattaya is a very unhealthy and dirty city to live in. It is way overbuilt. Couple this with the high temperature and humidity one's quality of life in the city is very poor.  Life on the darkside is much better and the further you get away from Pattaya it gets even better.

"Life on the darkside is much better..."

seconded! big difference in temperature, humidity and pollution.