Hair Cut Issues

MrNeilThai

Ok,  here is my story.

I have lived in and out of Thailand for the past 6 years and I have a year of real language study so I can speak pretty good but not fluently. Since moving back here in August I have had

4 haircuts from 4 different stylists at 4 different shops and the same story every time. These shops are charging roughly 300B(Fairly expensive for a mans haircut) and mostly cater to Thai clients. They have been pretty nice looking salons. 

When I sit down I tell the stylist how I want my hair cut. I want it short , not that different from a soldier or policeman. I also show a picture on my cell phone. The stylist always says that they know what to do and they proceed to cut the hair on the back and side of my head quite short like I asked for. Then they snip a little off the top and say they are done. I put my hand in my hair and notice it is hardly any shorter than when I came in and I tell the stylist it is still long. The stylist then proceeds to get a really disjointed  look on their face and they trim the top down more.  (A couple times I have had this done a third time).

Eventually I just give up and go and I don't want to come back b/c the stylist acts all offended b/c I asked them to cut the top more. The only 2 things I can guess are happening are 

1) The shops think if they leave it long on top I will come back faster and thus they get more revenue

2) Maybe they are afraid to cut it too short b/c there is no going back if it gets messed up.

On point 1 .. the stupid thing is I really don't care that much about the money. I pay more for my haircuts than most friends of mine. I like it short b/c it is easy to take care of and I have to get it cut less often.

On point 2 .. I actually show them a picture on my phone of what I want the hair to look like so how can this happen.

Anyhow. I am 0 for 4 with exact same results each time. Is this a hustle from Thais on a dumb foreigner. Something else.

Just wondering.  I'm sure some is going to tell me they have a neighborhood guy who does a bang up job for 50 baht or something.

Thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your right your getting ripped off ,

I pay 50 bhat for hair cut and 20 bhat tip and thats including a shave and a head and neck massage ,and always great result at the end.

Sorry for the hassle you have had doesnt sound good ,maybe find another salon if there is more to be found .

I go to a shop on Phahonyothin Rd just a couple blocks north of the Victory Monument BTS station. Standard men's hair cut there is 200 baht. Always have my hair cut there by the lady who owns the shop. Never had any problem. She remembers me and knows how I want my hair cut visit to visit. And if I want it a bit shorter or longer on a particular visit, no problem to ask her to do a bit more or less as we go along. Never any attitude at all!

In the past, I had a couple of times tried the very cheap 100 baht haircut places that are located in a couple of the MRT or BTS stations. Never any attitude there either or problem asking them to cut longer or shorter. But for some reason, every time I let them cut my hair, after the cut, my hair ended up sticking up straight in the back, something it never does naturally or otherwise. So I gave up on using those places.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

After years of getting bad haircuts in Thai hairdressing salons and barber shops, I now find the easiest is to tell the barber/hair stylist, No 1 on the sides and back and No 2 or No 3 on the top. If they mess that up, and sometimes they can, I tell them to use No 1 all over.

6 hours ago, paul18620 said:

your right your getting ripped off ,

I pay 50 bhat for hair cut and 20 bhat tip and thats including a shave and a head and neck massage ,and always great result at the end.

Sorry for the hassle you have had doesnt sound good ,maybe find another salon if there is more to be found .

i  hope that massage is   with  the "happy  ending " for  that  price....................im  forced  to  pay  100 down  here but my  staff use  a  50  baht place

Same for me . I have a simple bone head as every time they mess it up ! Back home I cut my sons I took him to the barbers here and he came out looking like chuck Liddell when it was supposed to be a simple blend . Next time you im going to pay them to use their clippers and tell them to take a coffee break .

I always get my haircut by a woman stylist, they are simply better and more sensitive to user needs. Had a wonderful lady with her own small salon in middle of Phuket town for eight years, cost was 60 baht but I always gave her a red note. Then her husband got job in BKK so she had to move and i could not get good replacement, so just let my hair grow and grow. Now 3 years and forms a very fine ponytail, get my squeeze to braid it into single braid like sold-time sailors.

Same story for me, have tried loads of barbers and it's always the same, not short enough...when i tell them to do it over they give me a soldier haircut which takes an hour making.

So my solution is to bring a professional tondeuse and do it myself now...i put the thing for 12 mm on it and just shave around, 3 minutes and done. Very easy and nice cool.

Also the thai barbers can't speak english which annoyed me....yes the 250 baht as well but for a good service i wouldn't mind. Also the ladyboys touching my hair is not what i like, they are barbers as well.

I'm another 50 Baht man, includes a shave (no massage mind).

Our barbers is part of the local Mom & Pop shop, Pop does the haircuts. Of course it often occurs that he's half way through and someone wants serving in the shop, Mom is nowhere to be found so off he goes and comes back 5 minutes later to finish.

Never had an issue but I go for a regular short back n sides.

At least a bad haircut will grow out unlike a bad nose job :)

I bought an electric clipper/ beard trimmer when in my early 30's.I am now 70+ and they still work. I am happy with how long they have lasted

My wife cuts the bit that I now have left whilst I check that she hasn't forgotton her nickers ... I am happy with this also .... .

Edited by JAS21

3 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

I always get my haircut by a woman stylist, they are simply better and more sensitive to user needs. Had a wonderful lady with her own small salon in middle of Phuket town for eight years, cost was 60 baht but I always gave her a red note. Then her husband got job in BKK so she had to move and i could not get good replacement, so just let my hair grow and grow. Now 3 years and forms a very fine ponytail, get my squeeze to braid it into single braid like sold-time sailors.

Yes, I pay 60Bt + tip to a lady in my village, I have long straight hair, though not long enough for a ponytail, completely over my ears, and get it cut every three or four months.

I have thick, wavy hair and a number of times I noticed the cutter taking time to check my hair out and give me the impression they are a little unsure and not that confident.  Apparently wavy hair is not so common in Thailand, so I am told by a couple of people who have cut my hair.  Fortunately I found a guy who does a great job and when I am in Bangkok I go and see him.  400 baht later and I am happy.

A Guy that notices his poor haircuts like I do. Go Figure!

Let me tell you what you will end up if you ever succeed in them getting it cut short. You won't be able to do anything with it no matter what shampoo you use, or try to comb your hair. It will always look the same, and flops down the same, until it grows back. 

The second thing and about the Thai Style for all Men's Haircuts. Ever notice those small trees on the boulevard? Well take a look next time as your haircut will look exactly the same no matter what you do.

I found one decent barber in the 8 years I have been living here, but I moved away to a different city. If you can take your wife along to give him instructions. He won't listen to you but he usually does with her.  

i am lucky enough to have hair to cut and use chalacorn salon, expensive for thailand but reasonable by uk standards. different people have cut my hair there and they are always professional and do an excellent job.

amusingly last time i went for a cut there was a foreign guy paying, he was basically 90% bald so he had paid 650 baht for someone to razor around the edges, add to that he was one of those sad guys who use the captive audience of the cashier to flirt with them. in denial in many ways.

I usually wait until I am in Patts. 50-80b if want simple cut. No problem. 300 in salon if want some detail. I currently like no 1 on sides and a textured top. I show then how long with my fingers.

In the States I have noticed that I tell the cutter what I want and they cut it what ever their usual way is.

A Thai friend suggested this to me: place a hand flat on your head with some hair sticking up between your fingers to show how much you want cut off. Adjust to your preferred length and tell the barber this is how you like it. Has worked every time since then for me. Of course, if your preferred length is less than your finger thickness, the method won't work, but in that case, you're could just mention the number of the shaver head you want for your buzz cut. :)

Mine does it the way I like.  Very short all over and charges me 150 baht and I give her 200.   Been going to her for years.  When she is not available I have the same problem you do.  Short on the sides and long on the top.  Arrgh!  Keep trying until you find the one you like and then stick with them.  Or train someone over time.  200 to 300 baht is OK.  More would be a gouge.  FYI I use a beauty shop not a barber shop.  Barber shop will cost less.

Edited by williet98248
more info

I too use the Easy Cut for 120 baht. I use the one at Thonglor BTS. I've had some very good results there and a couple that were marginal trying to get the top cut shorter. I notice that style is popular for Thai men. Sometimes ridiculously so. I also notice that they have a rapid turnover in staff so that part is a little disappointing.  

I never had a problem with the local barbers it's just you go in there and there is a guy getting his hair cut comb and scissors style then when I think they are finished they throw the barber chair back for a shave then when the shave is done it's time for the ears and by that time I'm not waiting any longer so I just do it myself courtesy of Norelco as above.

Here is my opinion from my own experience. Ten years ago my wife who has little education but lots of drive wanted to go to beauty school. I ended up sending her to the best one in Pattaya, the cost was 40,000 baht and required a two year commitment. Personally I do not think there are many that can afford that amount nor make that long term commitment.  My wife, a bit older than majority of the students had plenty of drive and she went everyday first one there and last one out. Basically, she learned from head to toe and required the last year to majority of the outdoor festival and provide free haircuts to people who wanted them. To graduate there was a major test like a contest between the graduates she came in second.

You will see lots of Barbers and Salons but not many have gone to school. That doesn't mean everyone has to go to school to open a shop. Many learn from family members or friends and thru years of practice are very skilled. Many ladies in salons know how to wash, perm, cut/color nails but have no idea how to cut. Many salons the owner will tell you out right that they don't know how the successful one's have someone standby who can. Many like here in Pattaya, just wash and blow dry.

When it comes to Barbers, it is pretty much the same but again doesn't mean you always have to go to school. I sent my wife cousin to a Barber school, but he didn't have his heart into the trade. He like having his hand out, wanted to be a motorbike taxi driver, couldn't take criticism how to improve. My son cousin learn from his father, who never went to school and does a mean haircut and shave for 60 baht and does pretty well making a living.

Today, I decided to respond to this subject because today I have to go out and get a haircut. I can from the wife but like to go to a Barber old style and gives me a few hours break. All the locals pay here 80 baht, that is with a haircut and shave. I'm easy, a number 1 all around, finished off with a shave, forehead, ears,my nose hair trimmed and a head and shoulder massage ending with a nice cold towel to wipe me off. When the Barber wife works I get my toe nails cleaned and trim for 60 baht, 20 baht tip to the each of them always polite and happy.

It isn't really about the money I can certainly afford more but if anyone can't cut my hair they got no business in the trade. It is a number 1 all around the guy is done in less that 10 minutes for my head.  From time to time my regular guy is closed and what I hate is like over the New Years, everyone was closed, ended up at this one place a women Barber, ask her how much for haircut and shave, she gave me the head/toe and I knew what was coming 120 Baht, Farang price.  I said o.k. after the haircut she said O.K. I said what about the shave? she said you don't need one! I told her in Thai, I'm taking your old ass out tonight so I would appreciate a shave whether I need one or not since I'm paying for it. Needless to say I could have done a better job myself.

Long story short, just because they can open a nice salon doesn't mean they all have been trained properly.

Personally, I suggest looking for a Barber!

Edited by thailand49

I sometimes run into similar issues with haircut or groceries or food where I do not know or understand culturally what is happening. I then take a Thai friend with me next time and realize any thoughts of the person being upset with me are in my mind. It is almost always just a communication issue between us.