More Britons want greater control of immigration than EU free trade - poll

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

check my 3rd paragraph '' maybe these immigrants are to blame maybe not ''

why do you make it personal against me i just posted  '' multiculturalism has been forced on them by successive governments '' I am not telling you where to live, I am making a point that the British public were never asked.

Why have you brought Muslims into it , I never mentioned Muslims

If you want to make your views known, then do so with pleasure, just don't quote me to try and make a point about ''neo-liberal policies of New Labour and the Cons'' using me as a spring board

Don't get your panties in a twist, you posted saying that immigrants maybe to blame for the crisis, I said they aren't and it is the policies of the neo-liberal parties in power for the past 30 years. All the examples you gave of things going wrong in the UK are because of the systematic destruction of the social care system by those in power.

I bough up muslims in context of what the media say in the UK, not cos of you. 

And we have always had 'multiculturalism' in the UK, not been forced on anyone, a right wing myth and talking point 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As is usual in any topic which mentions UK immigration, especially from the EU/EEA, a lot of ignorant garbage has been posted.

1) Leaving the EU will have absolutely no effect on immigration to the UK from outside the EEA. That has always been under the UK government's control. This includes dealing with refugees and asylum seekers.

Why do people think all those migrants from outside the EEA wishing to enter the UK have been camped at Calais?

It's because the UK is not in the Schengen Area, retains control over it's own borders and wont let them in; and the EU cannot force us to!

2) Approximately 1.5 million British citizens take advantage of the freedom of movement regulations to live in other EEA countries. Many of these are retired.

Most of the EEA migrants living in the UK are young, fit and working.

Who is a greater strain on the welfare and health services of their host state; an elderly Brit in Spain or a working and taxpaying Pole in the UK?

3) Yes, EEA nationals legally in the UK can, once qualified, claim most of the public funds available to British citizens; as can British citizens living in other EEA member states. Two people have already posted a comparison, so I wont do so again here.

But remember, an EEA national who enters their host state as a jobseeker cannot claim any public funds and if they haven't found work within three months they have to leave.

An EEA national who is working in their host state and loses that job can claim benefits on the same basis as a national of that state; but if they haven't found work within three months the money stops and they have to leave.

Unless, in both cases, they can satisfy the relevant authority that they have a reasonable certainty of finding work in the very near future.

4) Yes, some EEA migrants do work cash in hand and pay no tax; but so do some British citizens!

The difference being that if or when an EEA national is caught they will be deported and not allowed back in.

5) As usual in such topics, most of the anti immigration comments are coming from people who are themselves living in a country other than their own.

No doubt they will make the usual excuse that they do not scrounge of the system in their host country and make a positive contribution to their host nation. Exactly the same as most EEA migrants do in the UK!

All of the above has been posted many times before in various topics; but some people prefer blind prejudice to facts.

6 hours ago, zyphodb said:

A good question, I don't know where in Europe you come from, but in the UK anyway the political parties promise whatever they think will get votes & then when they get in they do as they please with very little regard to what they actually said, and until the voting system is changed to proportional representation instead of the archaic system that they use at the moment, there doesn't seem to be much chance of this changing... 

I am English, from Dorset which was part of Wessex in the very old days.

I don't think any political party that is in power (Conservative or Labour) would ever stand up for PR as it would be political suicide and neither party is THAT stupid.

6 hours ago, zyphodb said:

A good question, I don't know where in Europe you come from, but in the UK anyway the political parties promise whatever they think will get votes & then when they get in they do as they please with very little regard to what they actually said, and until the voting system is changed to proportional representation instead of the archaic system that they use at the moment, there doesn't seem to be much chance of this changing... 

Much of what you say is true but... Thatcher was well hated but was re-elected over and over again, Blair was also re-elected as was Cameron.  Whatever they were doing it managed to muster enough support for them.  Politicians are several levels below second hand car salesmen but we still vote them into office.  Apparently it's called democracy?

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

Have they taken your job?

That is a very glib response.

Perhaps I can explain why I say so.

For several years before I came to Thailand to be with my wife and daughter I worked as a taxi driver in a small city in the South West of England. It was far from my favoured occupation, but I was looking after my mother who had dementia and it was the only job which could allow me the total freedom to fix my own hours, and change them at short ,or no notice. When the doors opened to Romanian and Bulgarian migrant workers in 2014, large numbers of them arrived and took up taxi driving. The number of drivers working in my city increased by about 25%. They were clubbing together, typically in groups of three, and renting a vehicle on a weekly basis, working it 24/7.

To hold a taxi licence in the city in which I worked the local authority required that you held a clean UK driving licence, had held it for 3 years, had been resident in that area for at least 12 months, had a verifiable work record going back for , I think two years, provide two referees as to your "good character", pass a medical, and pass a criminal record check. You also had to pass a written and practical "knowledge test", which whilst nothing like as comprehensive as that in London still required a good knowledge of the city and the surrounding area. To get your licence typically took a month, sometimes longer.

All these conditions were waived for the migrant drivers. We never found out why, and in fact it was made clear that if we made too much of a fuss our own licences might be re-examined. The result was that the number of drivers increased suddenly, the amount of work available did not. The public were quite vociferous in commenting on drivers who hardly spoke English, didn't know where they were going, and regularly overcharged or took circuitous routes.. There were also some issues with lone females traveling at night. Their vehicles were often squalid. Almost without exception they flouted the ban on smoking in the vehicles. No enforcement action was taken against them. In fact allegations of racism were made against a couple of my colleagues who reported particularly flagrant breaches of the rules.

My income dropped significantly. I don't know whether they paid tax or national insurance, but it was noticeable that when the occasional checks were being held, (the inspecting team consisted of a council licencing officer, a vehicle examiner, a police officer, and a rep from the DHSS, and possibly someone from the Inland Revenue), all the foreign drivers took the day off!

Perhaps this can be taken as a snapshot of the effect upon working people of this uncontrolled migration. I am sure it had a similar effect on many other trades and occupations. That is why, I am sure, the issue of immigration is as toxic as it is. To dismiss it as you did is glib. Accusations of racism and xenophobia fail to touch upon why so many are opposed to this migration.

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

As is usual in any topic which mentions UK immigration, especially from the EU/EEA, a lot of ignorant garbage has been posted.

1) Leaving the EU will have absolutely no effect on immigration to the UK from outside the EEA. That has always been under the UK government's control. This includes dealing with refugees and asylum seekers.

Why do people think all those migrants from outside the EEA wishing to enter the UK have been camped at Calais?

It's because the UK is not in the Schengen Area, retains control over it's own borders and wont let them in; and the EU cannot force us to!

2) Approximately 1.5 million British citizens take advantage of the freedom of movement regulations to live in other EEA countries. Many of these are retired.

Who is a greater strain on the welfare and health services of their host state; an elderly Brit in Spain or a working and taxpaying Pole in the UK?

3) Yes, EEA nationals legally in the UK can, once qualified, claim most of the public funds available to British citizens; as can British citizens living in other EEA member states. Two people have already posted a comparison, so I wont do so again here.

But remember, an EEA national who enters their host state as a jobseeker cannot claim any public funds and if they haven't found work within three months they have to leave.

An EEA national who is working in their host state and loses that job can claim benefits on the same basis as a national of that state; but if they haven't found work within three months the money stops and they have to leave.

Unless, in both cases, they can satisfy the relevant authority that they have a reasonable certainty of finding work in the very near future.

4) Yes, some EEA migrants do work cash in hand and pay no tax; but so do some British citizens!

The difference being that if or when an EEA national is caught they will be deported and not allowed back in.

5) As usual in such topics, most of the anti immigration comments are coming from people who are themselves living in a country other than their own.

No doubt they will make the usual excuse that they do not scrounge of the system in their host country and make a positive contribution to their host nation. Exactly the same as most EEA migrants do in the UK!

All of the above has been posted many times before in various topics; but some people prefer blind prejudice to facts.

I just wanted to quote this post as it should be read and digested as much as possible.  Spot on in every way.

I love Brits and the UK...from their sense of humor, tradition, British justice, integrity, BBC, food and drink (yes!), to that simply intangible Britishness and much more.

But I fear this entire Brexit vote has been motivated basically by ignorant racism, which is something I deplore.

It will turn Britain into Little Britain on the world stage politically and economically.

Edited by dexterm

34 minutes ago, JAG said:

For several years before I came to Thailand to be with my wife and daughter I worked as a taxi driver in a small city in the South West of England. It was far from my favoured occupation, but I was looking after my mother who had dementia and it was the only job which could allow me the total freedom to fix my own hours, and change them at short ,or no notice. When the doors opened to Romanian and Bulgarian migrant workers in 2014, large numbers of them arrived and took up taxi driving. The number of drivers working in my city increased by about 25%. They were clubbing together, typically in groups of three, and renting a vehicle on a weekly basis, working it 24/7.

To hold a taxi licence in the city in which I worked the local authority required that you held a clean UK driving licence, had held it for 3 years, had been resident in that area for at least 12 months, had a verifiable work record going back for , I think two years, provide two referees as to your "good character", pass a medical, and pass a criminal record check. You also had to pass a written and practical "knowledge test", which whilst nothing like as comprehensive as that in London still required a good knowledge of the city and the surrounding area. To get your licence typically took a month, sometimes longer.

All these conditions were waived for the migrant drivers. We never found out why, and in fact it was made clear that if we made too much of a fuss our own licences might be re-examined. The result was that the number of drivers increased suddenly, the amount of work available did not. The public were quite vociferous in commenting on drivers who hardly spoke English, didn't know where they were going, and regularly overcharged or took circuitous routes.. There were also some issues with lone females traveling at night. Their vehicles were often squalid. Almost without exception they flouted the ban on smoking in the vehicles. No enforcement action was taken against them. In fact allegations of racism were made against a couple of my colleagues who reported particularly flagrant breaches of the rules.

My income dropped significantly. I don't know whether they paid tax or national insurance, but it was noticeable that when the occasional checks were being held, (the inspecting team consisted of a council licencing officer, a vehicle examiner, a police officer, and a rep from the DHSS, and possibly someone from the Inland Revenue), all the foreign drivers took the day off!

Perhaps this can be taken as a snapshot of the effect upon working people of this uncontrolled migration. I am sure it had a similar effect on many other trades and occupations. That is why, I am sure, the issue of immigration is as toxic as it is. To dismiss it as you did is glib. Accusations of racism and xenophobia fail to touch upon why so many are opposed to this migration.

Sorry! It was intended as a humorous riposte. No wish to cause offence ?

3 minutes ago, dexterm said:

I love Brits and the UK...from their sense of humor, tradition, British justice, integrity, BBC, food and drink (yes!), to that simply intangible Britishness and much more.

But I fear this entire Brexit vote has been motivated basically by ignorant racism, which is something I deplore.

It will turn Britain into Little Britain on the world stage politically and economically.

Where are you from friend?

On 1/9/2017 at 8:52 PM, Lite Beer said:

This just goes to show how racist and xenophobic Brits have become.

The country is rapidly going down the pan.

Shameful.

Why?

Did they ever get a chance to vote FOR unlimited immigration? No - it was forced upon the populace.

This isn't Xenophobia or racism, it is simply wanting Britain to stay British. There's nothing wrong with that.

On 2017-01-09 at 10:20 PM, NanLaew said:

Or how sensible and pragmatic they can be when they consider the absolute security shambles that exists in modern Europe due this open border nonsense.

Everybody that enters the UK does so under British law, so the Brexit (if it comes) is rather academic. As for immigrants in the UK, it seems due to the lack of compulsory ID in the country, the politicians don't quite know how many there are exactly. Bit of a mess if you ask me.

I now live n Thailand but come from the South of England.

I worked in the health service and saw the unprecedented toll that mass migration took on this service.

We were inundated with non english speakers yet we were to pay for interpreters so that they could tell us what was wrong with them.

They  were from all nationalities.  Some of whom had lived in the UK for many years and still did not speak any english.  this is an unwanted burden on the tax-payers of the Uk (of which I am still one).

The open borders of the EU bring in people fleeing from not just war-torn conflicts in the world but economic migrants, as we all know once they are within the Schengen zone then they can travel to wherever they wish with impunity.  Thankfully the UK is surrounded by water.

Walking down my local high street it is rare to hear an English speaker, this is one of the many reasons I chose to come and live in Thailand.

Before anyone accuses me of being racist or xenophobic can I point out that I have friends of many races, creeds, colours and sexual orientation.

6 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Walking down my local high street it is rare to hear an English speaker, this is one of the many reasons I chose to come and live in Thailand.

I can only construe from this sentence that you so dislike hearing English spoken on the streets even though it's only rarely that you emigrated to a nation where it's virtually never heard being spoken on the street. Why such a grudge against English?

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I can only construe from this sentence that you so dislike hearing English spoken on the streets even though it's only rarely that you emigrated to a nation where it's virtually never heard being spoken on the street. Why such a grudge against English?

Sorry but I think you mis-interpreted my meaning, walking down my local high street I very rarely hear in English spoken - this is in an English city!!!!

I love living here - very many people speak English and I am trying to learn Thai.

11 hours ago, the guest said:

Everybody that enters the UK does so under British law, so the Brexit (if it comes) is rather academic. As for immigrants in the UK, it seems due to the lack of compulsory ID in the country, the politicians don't quite know how many there are exactly. Bit of a mess if you ask me.

Question  ''2 friends working at he same place in the UK, one born and bred in the UK, the other holding a German passport, go to Thailand on holiday, meet and marry 2 sisters, who they want to take to live in the UK, one has to jump through hoops have financials in place, and pay a lot of money, the other can bring his wife with no financials requirements and free of charge and can not be refused''. which one has the easy route

you are saying British law allows this inequality.

it is not only permitted because of EU rules?

answer to above question  - The German born friend

1 minute ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Sorry but I think you mis-interpreted my meaning, walking down my local high street I very rarely hear in English spoken - this is in an English city!!!!

I love living here - very many people speak English and I am trying to learn Thai.

I agree with all you say and I think you have to have been living in the UK recently to understand the dilemma . The NHS is in crisis and will break down any time now ( oh and try to get a doctors appointment , unless it is a serious illness expect to wait at least 3 weeks ) . Housing is in crisis but that is another debate . 

Education , read yesterday , up to 46 children in a class . Crime rates increasing / police stretched to the limit / prisons overcrowded,  could go on and on . 

Some UK towns and schools  English is not the main spoken language , ( talk about integration , rarely happens , birds of a feather etc ) . Australia is getting the benefits of UK emigration by careful vetting of applicants who can make a contribution to their country and not seeking to ask for handouts on arrival as is done in the UK .

There are amongst the UK immigrants some who are well scholared on the benefits system and will manage / advise benefit application forms for their family and friends who often go to the front of the queue ahead of the true Brit who has made N.I. contributions for many years . Not to mention the state pension which is frugal in comparison and bordering on being criminal . 

The customs and cultures of the UK are being diluted  by the influx of foreigners and the governments are not concerned as they want cheap labour to maximise profits for their corporate business buddies and the public purse is used to subsidise the benefit system. Welcome to globalization  .

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

Question  ''2 friends working at he same place in the UK, one born and bred in the UK, the other holding a German passport, go to Thailand on holiday, meet and marry 2 sisters, who they want to take to live in the UK, one has to jump through hoops have financials in place, and pay a lot of money, the other can bring his wife with no financials requirements and free of charge and can not be refused''. which one has the easy route

To use that loophole the Thai woman married to the German would have to live in Germany or elsewhere in the EU first. 

This insane focus on immigration is having all sorts of undesirable side effects including difficulties for non EU spouses and students generally

Mind you, Thais are making life difficult. Just try getting a 1 year visa from a Thai consulate in the U.K.....

Edited by Grouse

1 hour ago, superal said:

I agree with all you say and I think you have to have been living in the UK recently to understand the dilemma . The NHS is in crisis and will break down any time now ( oh and try to get a doctors appointment , unless it is a serious illness expect to wait at least 3 weeks ) . Housing is in crisis but that is another debate . 

Education , read yesterday , up to 46 children in a class . Crime rates increasing / police stretched to the limit / prisons overcrowded,  could go on and on . 

Some UK towns and schools  English is not the main spoken language , ( talk about integration , rarely happens , birds of a feather etc ) . Australia is getting the benefits of UK emigration by careful vetting of applicants who can make a contribution to their country and not seeking to ask for handouts on arrival as is done in the UK .

There are amongst the UK immigrants some who are well scholared on the benefits system and will manage / advise benefit application forms for their family and friends who often go to the front of the queue ahead of the true Brit who has made N.I. contributions for many years . Not to mention the state pension which is frugal in comparison and bordering on being criminal . 

The customs and cultures of the UK are being diluted  by the influx of foreigners and the governments are not concerned as they want cheap labour to maximise profits for their corporate business buddies and the public purse is used to subsidise the benefit system. Welcome to globalization  .

You're mixing multiple issues

Yes, the NHS is an embarrassment. Shoddy, grubby and "down at heel" generally. GPs "guarded" by front office NAZIs who want to know everything then expect you to wait 3 weeks.

Immigrant benefits is a net non issue

British pensions are a joke. But who to blame? The EU? I don't think so....

How will you stop globalisation? IPR doesn't recognise borders. Your only hope is to survive using your brains NOT the breadth of your back....

Edited by Grouse

17 hours ago, JAG said:

A very good example amongst many others.

In London, immigrant taxi drivers undercutting fares and then driving you to the wrong destination. Upon disembarkation at the correct location, they ask for additional fee than what was quoted. I thought all London cabs had to go through strict tests & vetting?

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

You're mixing multiple issues

Yes, the NHS is an embarrassment. Shoddy, grubby and "down at heel" generally. GPs "guarded" by front office NAZIs who want to know everything then expect you to wait 3 weeks.

Immigrant benefits is a net non issue

British pensions are a joke. But who to blame? The EU? I don't think so....

How will you stop globalisation? IPR doesn't recognise borders. Your only hope is to survive using your brains NOT the breadth of your back....

Yes I did go off on a bit of a tangent but please explain when you say  " Immigrant benefits is a net non issue " .  All that I mentioned are a result of uncontrolled immigration to the UK by both legal and illegal means . It has overburdened all of the government services and by their own admission they have lost track of immigrant figures , can only estimate . BTW there would be a lot more in the pot to pay better pensions if all of the other benefits were made to true Brits only .

36 minutes ago, superal said:

Yes I did go off on a bit of a tangent but please explain when you say  " Immigrant benefits is a net non issue " .  All that I mentioned are a result of uncontrolled immigration to the UK by both legal and illegal means . It has overburdened all of the government services and by their own admission they have lost track of immigrant figures , can only estimate . BTW there would be a lot more in the pot to pay better pensions if all of the other benefits were made to true Brits only .

Most immigrants are net contributors so a net benefit. Immigrant benefit recipients are balanced by British recipients else where in EU. The delta is not worth worrying about 

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Most immigrants are net contributors so a net benefit. Immigrant benefit recipients are balanced by British recipients else where in EU. The delta is not worth worrying about 

You're talking about economics. This survey shows that the issue is expressly not related to economics - it's about quality of life in terms of preserving the culture. In effect, people are willing to pay for that.

19 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Why?

Did they ever get a chance to vote FOR unlimited immigration? No - it was forced upon the populace.

This isn't Xenophobia or racism, it is simply wanting Britain to stay British. There's nothing wrong with that.

Firstly, the EU freedom of movement regulations do not mean unlimited immigration; there are conditions which have to be met by an EEA national who wishes to reside in an EEA state other than his own.

Secondly, we did get a chance to vote for it. Freedom of movement of peoples is one of the founding principles of the EC, it was there before we joined in 1973 and still there when we voted in 1975 to remain. Apart from bringing the provisions of multiple directives together into one in 2004, nothing changed about freedom of movement when the EC became the EU, nor since.

21 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Finally someone who speaks some sense. 

I am British and I am all for freedom of movement. All of the EEA nationals I know in the UK are working and paying taxes. We need these people. 

The whole immigration debate has gotten way out of hand and there has been a lot of false information peddled by various political parties on this issue.  people in the UK seem to just want to blame immigrants for their economic issues, as opposed to the politicians and bad policies that have actually led to the problem.

How about for starters, the government make companies like Google and Starbucks pay the correct amount of taxes? Sadly instead it is the little guy who gets taxed to the hilt, and in trouble if payments fall behind, not actually the companies that can actually afford to do so. 

9 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I now live n Thailand but come from the South of England.

I worked in the health service and saw the unprecedented toll that mass migration took on this service.

You must also have seen how the NHS relies upon immigrant workers in the low paid jobs; porters, cleaners etc., which many British workers believe to be beneath them.

There is also the long term chronic shortage of nurses, caused by past governments capping the number of training places, which has meant most, if not all, NHS trusts have had to recruit nurses from abroad.

We were inundated with non english speakers yet we were to pay for interpreters so that they could tell us what was wrong with them.

They  were from all nationalities.  Some of whom had lived in the UK for many years and still did not speak any english.  this is an unwanted burden on the tax-payers of the Uk (of which I am still one).

I agree that immigrants should learn the language of the country in which they have chosen to live; how's your Thai, by the way?

In the UK this problem has been addressed by the introduction several years ago of the English language requirement for all non EEA immigrants.

Yes, there is no such requirement for EEA immigrants, but in my experience, and I have worked in a previous job with a lot and still do in my current job, they can speak English. They wouldn't get work if they couldn't and so wouldn't be able to stay in the UK.

The open borders of the EU bring in people fleeing from not just war-torn conflicts in the world but economic migrants, as we all know once they are within the Schengen zone then they can travel to wherever they wish with impunity.  Thankfully the UK is surrounded by water.

As explained earlier; the UK is not part of the Schengen Area. It has, and always has had, complete control over our borders as far as non EEA nationals are concerned (unless they are qualifying family members of an EEA national).

This includes refugees, economic migrants, even family members of British citizens.

Hear lot's of English speakers there, do you?

I live in the South East/ South West of London. I must admit that I don't know which language most people I pass in the street are speaking as I don't usually listen to other people's conversations.

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

You're talking about economics. This survey shows that the issue is expressly not related to economics - it's about quality of life in terms of preserving the culture. In effect, people are willing to pay for that.

Thatcher said in the '80s, "There is no such thing as Society"; she certainly delivered on that. Destroyed our manufacturing base a laid waste much of central and northern England and central Scotland. But go ahead, blame it all on the EU ?

Or, let's talk about the demise of pub culture to be replaced by yobbery with violence everywhere. The pursuit of brainless celebrity. The destruction of "sport" with obscene wealth. The dumbing down of TV and radio. The weakening of education. The breakdown of social cohesion!

Sorry, time for a Famous Grouse!   

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

If you are going to use the EU freedom of movement regulations as they apply to qualifying non EEA national family members; read them first!

You will find that if they both wanted to live in Germany the British friend could use the EU regulations whereas the German would have to meet whatever the requirements of the German immigration rules are.

If they both chose to live in any other EEA state then they could both use the EU regulations.