Chiang Mai rocked by 4.0 earthquake today

webfact

Chiang Mai rocked by 4.0 earthquake today

110101.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- The Seismology Bureau of the Meteorological Department announced this  morning that a 4.0 magnitude earthquake hit Mae Wang district of Chiang Mai before dawn Wednesday.

It said the epicentre of the mild earthquake which occurred at 04.08am was 10 kilometres underground in Mae Wang district.

There was  no immediate report of damages to property or injuries to life.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-rocked-4-0-earthquake-today/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-11

"Rocked" by an earthquake ?

Please, save the dramatic headlines for something that actually warrants it. Chiang Mai was "rocked" by a much (much) larger 6.0 earthquake in May 2014  that was described as possibly the strongest quake to hit the area in the last 100 years. A 4.6 quake in the same area in 2006 was described as a "much calmer".

This "mild" earthquake was just a 4.0, a fraction of the size of the 2014 quake (in Richter Scale terms). Barely rates a "wobble", let alone a "rocked" !

A 4.0 releases an equivalent of about 11 metric tons of TNT (or 46 gigajoules) of energy. A 6.0 meanwhile releases the equivalent of around 15,000 (15kt) metric tons (or 63 terajoules, roughly the same size as the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima).

Kind of like when a breeze blows and thais think its cold...

Or the gasp they emit when they see me eating SPICY food..

Or when i can speak some thai--BUT of course my thai gf,

the one i DONT have, must have taught me......:wai:

Life is simple and rountine living in the Kingdom bubble

Ohh thank Buddha we survived such a massive quake!!!

1 hour ago, balo said:

So when will the big one hit Chiang Mai ? I just want a warning so I can move out of this building . 

Taking into account that Ravana meditated 1000 years (and cut off his head 9 times) before Shiva appeared,
I suggest "soon" is the correct answer to your question.

Chiang Mai struck by 94 minor tremors in one month

quake.jpg

Chiang Mai was hit by 94 minor quakes measuring from 4 magnitude on the Richter scale to 1 magnitude in the past one month, but there is a 5 percent chance that the northern capital may be struck by a stronger tremor of up to 5.5 magnitude within a cycle of 17 years.

The latest tremor measured at 4 magnitude on the Richter scale was reported at 4.08 am today with its epicenter at a depth of ten kilometres from the surface in Tambon Mae Win, Mae Wang district. Many people in Chom Thong district also felt the vibrations.

Mr Somboon Kosittanont, director of the Office of Environmental Geology of the Minteral Resources Department, said Wednesday that the latest tremor stemmed from the sliding of Mae Wang plate which is about 25 kilometres long.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-struck-94-minor-tremors-one-month/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-1-11

8 hours ago, KKr said:

accurate reporting is a challenge

from http://www.earthquake.tmd.go.th/en/local.html

Origin Time (UTC) Mag Latitude Longitude Region
2017-01-11 04:15:31 1.8 18.61 98.53 Amphoe Mae Wang, Chiang Mai
2017-01-10 21:56:59 2.0 18.58 98.53 Amphoe Chom Thong , Chiang Mai
2017-01-10 21:08:53 4.0 18.62 98.58 Amphoe Mae Wang, Chiang Mai

:post-4641-1156694606:

The time is UTC, we are UTC +7, so 4:08am.

8 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Tell them to pack up and go to Western Australia where they can pay a small fee for a "Miner's Right" and go pan, dig, whatever makes them happy looking for GOLD.

They can then sell it or keep it.

No Worries!

Wha???

8 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Tell them to pack up and go to Western Australia where they can pay a small fee for a "Miner's Right" and go pan, dig, whatever makes them happy looking for GOLD.

They can then sell it or keep it.

No Worries!

41 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

Wha???

Think Torrens54 was intending to comment on the following:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/963061-chinese-gold-diggers-arrested-in-north-thailand/

I swore I felt a wobble around the morning hours of 26.12.2016, and as well on 27.12.2016, but my lady said she felt nothing. The front desk of the hotel also felt nothing.  I thought the Chang went to my head. After checking this  http://www.earthquake.tmd.go.th/en/local.html today, I guess I did feel something.

But why all this shit going down in Chang Mai? It seems the trembles are mostly concentrated between Chiang Mai and Doi Luang Park, en route to Chang Rai...

Any budding seismologists out there who can let us in on this?

cme.jpg

15 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Think Torrens54 was intending to comment on the following:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/963061-chinese-gold-diggers-arrested-in-north-thailand/

Thanks Paul... I was indeed intending to comment on the "Gold Rush." Don't know how it ended up where it did... must be going blind, mental...or both !

Thanks again.

T54

On 2017/1/10 at 11:36 PM, KKr said:

accurate reporting is a challenge

from http://www.earthquake.tmd.go.th/en/local.html

Origin Time (UTC) Mag Latitude Longitude Region
2017-01-11 04:15:31 1.8 18.61 98.53 Amphoe Mae Wang, Chiang Mai
2017-01-10 21:56:59 2.0 18.58 98.53 Amphoe Chom Thong , Chiang Mai
2017-01-10 21:08:53 4.0 18.62 98.58 Amphoe Mae Wang, Chiang Mai

It amazes me people always have facts and figures on hand. How the hell they got them is beyond my understanding. Do they have the weather chart as well? And they have good memory so if you so much as trying to bullshit, you get caught by them. Don't they have better things to do than just sit behind their computers all day long. Oh, they are retired, I forgot about that.

On 1/15/2017 at 10:34 PM, madusa said:

It amazes me people always have facts and figures on hand. How the hell they got them is beyond my understanding. Do they have the weather chart as well? And they have good memory so if you so much as trying to bullshit, you get caught by them. Don't they have better things to do than just sit behind their computers all day long. Oh, they are retired, I forgot about that.

Nope, not retired even, and the other 23 hours 59 minutes and 30 seconds I do wonder why people post constructive comments on TV.

Edited by KKr