Bangkok Bank Rabbit Card.

I am just about to receive my Rabbit Card to use on the BTS, I just need to know when I top it up does it have to be used before a certain time?

How do I use it at the barrier when entering, and is it the same when leaving, I am assuming I use it the same way as if I bought a ticket.  

I am never in Bangkok for more than three days at a time, so I will only be using it as the e-purse.

They may have an expiration date, but it's pretty generous...I've gone as long as 7 months without using mine with several hundred baht on it, and it's always there next time I use it.

To use it, you just tap it on the circle of plastic on the top of the barrier, both entering and exiting.  If you're a fast reader, you can glance down and see what your balance is both entering and exiting.

2 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

They may have an expiration date, but it's pretty generous...I've gone as long as 7 months without using mine with several hundred baht on it, and it's always there next time I use it.

To use it, you just tap it on the circle of plastic on the top of the barrier, both entering and exiting.  If you're a fast reader, you can glance down and see what your balance is both entering and exiting.

Thanks, that's a great help.

5 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

To use it, you just tap it on the circle of plastic on the top of the barrier, both entering and exiting […]

Does this work for you (or anyone else) if you keep the card in your wallet?

I find that I have to take out my card, even when there is only one layer of thin leather between the card and the reader.

This is a regular Rabbit Card.

My other contactless cards (VISA NFC payment, Yale electronic lock) works fine when in the same wallet, which makes me think the Rabbit reader is just very weak.

It's not the leather, it's the other cards in it. Somehow they messed up the reading protocol to not be able to handle multiple cards responding to the read command.

Put the card by itself in the middle 'flap' it'll work.

48 minutes ago, Jdietz said:

It's not the leather, it's the other cards in it. Somehow they messed up the reading protocol to not be able to handle multiple cards responding to the read command.

Put the card by itself in the middle 'flap' it'll work.

I am almost certain that I did not carry any of my other contactless cards with me (as they are not for things in Bangkok, and my wallet only has 4 slots, so I only bring cards I will actually need).

But I will try with the card in the wallet alone next time I am in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, lkn said:

I am almost certain that I did not carry any of my other contactless cards with me (as they are not for things in Bangkok, and my wallet only has 4 slots, so I only bring cards I will actually need).

But I will try with the card in the wallet alone next time I am in Bangkok.

I don't keep the card in a wallet, but my girlfriend keeps hers in a leather pouch with a plastic window on one side; I don't think she's ever had a problem with hers, even when she taps it on the non-window side.

7 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

I don't keep the card in a wallet, but my girlfriend keeps hers in a leather pouch with a plastic window on one side; I don't think she's ever had a problem with hers, even when she taps it on the non-window side.

There have been some interesting posts here about keeping the cards in your wallet, I have quite a big one and will keep my Rabbit card separate from the others.

I haven't been able to find out from searching TV forum, if my basic orange Rabbit card, which I use on the Green line BTS every now and then, can work on Blue line MRT and Purple line BTS ?

I have tried making an enquiry on www.rabbit.co.th but didn't receive a reply.

I did this journey last night . MRT Sukhumvit to Bang Sue, (39 baht) walked the "missing link" to Tao Poon (17 minutes) as no taxis or transfer bus (just missed) available, then Purple line to Yaek Tiwanon (23 baht).

Didn't have my Rabbit card on me so had to queue at ticketing window in Sukhumvit as all the cash only machines were jammed up with tourists and then pay cash at Tao Poon (no automatic ticket machine available, or I couldn't find it ?) I noticed on exiting the Yaek Tiwanon station that an automatic machine was available for tokens.