Quit your job in the west and move to super cheap Chiang Mai!

Jingthing

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

There is a huge difference between being a 'drifter' and being an alien, immigrant or farang.

I lived in Hong Kong for 35 years?  Was I a drifter?  Of course not.

I've lived in Thailand for 8 years, now I'm setting up a large multi-national business and will probably stay here.  

Does that make me a drifter?   No it does not.

I'm certainly not angry about any aspect of living here and I don't find any aspect of it difficult.   

Sorry but if you don't have residency or citizenship you're a drifter.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, amykat said:

Well Winnie, I understand what you are saying. I would like to point out however that probably Americans would be the least prejudiced, and you seem to be saying the opposite.  We have almost no media coverage about Thailand.  Not many Americans come here, it is extremely far, we don't have much vacation time, if any at all.  We have good weather, and better places to go nearby, etc.  Therefore there is no market for the kind of media coverage you get in the UK for example. Most Americans know nothing about Thailand, and often will think you just said Taiwan. If you say Bangkok, they think "giant whorehouse" and that is about it.

It is really only the Americans who have been here, travel in Asia, or are purposely seeking information, that then find that information.

In many countries, people are looking to come to the US to live, to get green cards. So the fact that in general people don't know that Thais don't really want that, they prefer a paycheck to be mailed in, or someone to come marry them and live here, you can't really fault them for that?

The concierges (men and women) in my building in Los Angeles make comments regarding the "subservient women" in Thailand and none have been to Asia.  Other Americans have made far nastier comments that I won't repeat here.  I think what Winnie has said is dead on correct.

3 minutes ago, Airalee said:

The concierges (men and women) in my building in Los Angeles make comments regarding the "subservient women" in Thailand and none have been to Asia.  Other Americans have made far nastier comments that I won't repeat here.  I think what Winnie has said is dead on correct.

You don't think that is just a general perception about all Asian women??

7 minutes ago, amykat said:

Considering one of my friends wife's co-workers, upon being told that her husbands friend goes to Thailand was "Thailand...what?!?!   Does he like to **** little boys?"  I'd say that the misperceptions are pretty much exclusive to Thailand (and perhaps a few other SE Asian countries).

Then, there is the scene from Full Metal Jacket and the whole Hangover movie that also fuels people's prejudices.

I have to agree. Anyone that watches a lot of Hollywood movies (most Americans do) has seen the references to Thailand are usually jokes about sex tourism and pederasty. Also comedy acts. It's unfair to both Thailand and the diversity of foreigners visiting or living in Thailand, but that's the reputation and it's reinforced often. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I have to agree. Anyone that watches a lot of Hollywood movies (most Americans do) has seen the references to Thailand are usually jokes about sex tourism and pederasty. Also comedy acts. It's unfair to both Thailand and the diversity of foreigners visiting or living in Thailand, but that's the reputation and it sells. 

They also hope people don't realize how much better (and cheaper) the healthcare is here in Thailand.  I tell all my friends that it's cheaper to be uninsured in Thailand than to have free insurance in the US (when deductibles and copays are factored in)

15 minutes ago, Airalee said:

They also hope people don't realize how much better (and cheaper) the healthcare is here in Thailand.  I tell all my friends that it's cheaper to be uninsured in Thailand than to have free insurance in the US (when deductibles and copays are factored in)

Yes, and that's why I am predicting a wave of American health care refugees (age 50 to 64) to Thailand in the wake of trump's act to repeal Obamacare. Many Americans like that here already, but many more people are going to get squeezed by that system looking for alternatives just to survive, and Thailand with it's relatively easy retirement visa system and approachable retail health costs (compared to the U.S.) will be a top choice. Obviously the very poorest Americans couldn't pull that off but more middle class ones generally can. 

Specifically Americans, in the case. If you're from a nation with a more civilized medical care system with a national health or similar, moving to Thailand is going to INCREASE your health care costs and financial risks. With Americans having trouble with getting coverage, it's the exact opposite. That's why I call this group American health care refugees. 

A personal example of this situation. I spend about 150 dollars a month retail on medications here in Thailand. I haven't live in the U.S. for a long time but speaking to a relative that's a health care professional she told me the same meds retail would be thousands of dollars a month in the U.S.

Edited by Jingthing

49 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

1800 per year in meds would not have been covered by plans approved by ACA.  Most watched their deductibles skyrocket.

:stoner:Anyway, nobody has said ACA is perfect, far from it, but every indication is that many more millions are going to cut off ANY health coverage. 

Sorry, this is getting too off topic though.

My point on this thread is that there already lots of American health care refugees here but expect MORE quite soon. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

:stoner:Anyway, nobody has said ACA is perfect, far from it, but every indication is that many more millions are going to cut off ANY health coverage. 

Sorry, this is getting too off topic though.

My point on this thread is that there already lots of American health care refugees here but expect MORE quite soon. 

Agree way off topic, but what's ACA an insurance provider here in TH?

ACA=Affordable Care Act AKA= Obamacare.  Some love it and some hate it.  As for me I could do without it.  Hopefully  in Jan 2018 most parts of the ACA will be history.  The only thing ACA has done for me is give me a health insurance policy that I am afraid to use:  High Premiums and High Deductible(the first $6,000 in health care expenses are on me).  It's more like having expensive catastrophic health insurance.  Just my thoughts about the ACA.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:09 PM, finy said:
On 1/26/2017 at 6:29 PM, seancbk said:

There is a huge difference between being a 'drifter' and being an alien, immigrant or farang.

I lived in Hong Kong for 35 years?  Was I a drifter?  Of course not.

I've lived in Thailand for 8 years, now I'm setting up a large multi-national business and will probably stay here.  

Does that make me a drifter?   No it does not.

I'm certainly not angry about any aspect of living here and I don't find any aspect of it difficult.   

Sorry but if you don't have residency or citizenship you're a drifter.

I do have permanent residency in Hong Kong and in a few years I will apply for it in Thailand.

But not having permanent residency doesn't make a person a drifter.   Drifting from one place to another does, but living in one place for 20 years or more whether you have residency or not means you've settled and are most definitely not a drifter.

Everyone's different...but I spend more here than I do 'back home'..

Don't ask me how, but I do.

35 baht fried food is fine if you want a heart attack ( which is expensive)

Paying for two....plus the rest of the family....doesn't help the budget.

Yes, that was a problem when I was new here.  Restaurants are cheaper but the only people I ever had to go out with, I had to pay for, and that was always a small group ...and that did NOT make it cheaper.  Then I had to take into account that I had no job here like before.

1 hour ago, mikey88 said:

...but I spend more here than I do 'back home'..

Don't ask me how, but I do.

Paying for two....plus the rest of the family....doesn't help the budget.

looks like you answered your own question.  More TVF irony...many on here will boast about their big monthly expenditures, and steadfastly state you can't possibly live on x amount, but then it slips out that they have a lady and her kids on the payroll.   

On 27/01/2017 at 7:13 AM, amykat said:

I find this comment to be very insulting. Having lived in America for 7 years, it does not surprise me as most Americans have an unearned superiority complex but to generalise like this is unacceptable and shows a complete lack of understanding and culture.

Asia is a massive continent, from Turkey in the west to Russia in the east. How can you generalise about Asian women like that.

In a counter statement, I found that many single American women  were without morals or scruples but I do not say it is a perception of ALL American women.

In the whole, Asian women are the epitome of feminism. They respect their elders and other cultures unlike Americans (another generalisation).

My own wife is Singaporean and a staunch Baptist. She would be horrified to read what you wrote.

Please think before generalising as it shows ignorance of other cultures and this perception is only in your mind.

16 hours ago, Flustered said:

I find this comment to be very insulting. Having lived in America for 7 years, it does not surprise me as most Americans have an unearned superiority complex but to generalise like this is unacceptable and shows a complete lack of understanding and culture.

Asia is a massive continent, from Turkey in the west to Russia in the east. How can you generalise about Asian women like that.

In a counter statement, I found that many single American women  were without morals or scruples but I do not say it is a perception of ALL American women.

In the whole, Asian women are the epitome of feminism. They respect their elders and other cultures unlike Americans (another generalisation).

My own wife is Singaporean and a staunch Baptist. She would be horrified to read what you wrote.

Please think before generalising as it shows ignorance of other cultures and this perception is only in your mind.

Before you lose control on me ..you should have considered what I wrote. I did NOT say WHAT I THOUGHT about anybody ...I made a comment about the "PERCEPTION" that many American people have ..who live in the US.

Next, you really read quite a lot into a very small sentence.  And the "epitome of feminism" are you sure you know what that means?

Also, generalizing serves a purpose ..when I mean to speak of individuals I will do that or each individual culture ..I will do that. 

If your Singaporean Baptist wife would horrified to learn that many people think Asian women are subservient then she hasn't gotten out much in the world, or read much literature, or seen many movies. Why don't you take her out somewhere??

47 minutes ago, amykat said:

Before you lose control on me ..you should have considered what I wrote. I did NOT say WHAT I THOUGHT about anybody ...I made a comment about the "PERCEPTION" that many American people have ..who live in the US.

Next, you really read quite a lot into a very small sentence.  And the "epitome of feminism" are you sure you know what that means?

Also, generalizing serves a purpose ..when I mean to speak of individuals I will do that or each individual culture ..I will do that. 

If your Singaporean Baptist wife would horrified to learn that many people think Asian women are subservient then she hasn't gotten out much in the world, or read much literature, or seen many movies. Why don't you take her out somewhere??

And Americans wonder why people do not like them.

16 minutes ago, Flustered said:

And Americans wonder why people do not like them.

I don't wonder at all why you don't like me, obviously I know how to logically analyze a statement better than you, I understand the definition of words better than you apparently do, and you don't seem to have a good grasp on any cultures that you claim to know well at all.

24 minutes ago, amykat said:

I don't wonder at all why you don't like me, obviously I know how to logically analyze a statement better than you, I understand the definition of words better than you apparently do, and you don't seem to have a good grasp on any cultures that you claim to know well at all.

A completely nonsensical response from someone who applies a perceived (in her mind) view of one small area to the entire Asian region.

I would back Asian (the entire Asian continent) morals against modern American women any day.

3 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Amykat, you are trying to reason with someone who lives with a staunch baptist. Move on. 

Racist and anti religious.

It's no wonder you both feel threatened by Asian women. They are everything you are not and that is what men find attractive in women, not female eunuchs.

Why you are in Thailand beggars belief if you feel so strongly against anyone not sharing your points of view. I would have thought that California is the place you ought to be.

• 11 months later...
On 1/18/2017 at 4:37 PM, NancyL said:

You can thank Kathleen Peddicord for the influx of all the greying victims of the 2008/2009 economic crash who believed her stories of "Live Like a King for $1000 a month in Chiang Mai" when she was editor of International Living magazine.  She conducted seminars and sold books about how to retire overseas to gullible people from North America and Chiang Mai has always been near the top of her list.

She has always left out any mention of what's required to obtain a long-term retirement visa -- like Thailand's 65,000 baht/month or 800,000 baht in the bank or Malaysia's even higher requirements.  At least, now there is some modest disclaimer in her writing about how she's not factoring the cost of medical insurance or health care into monthly budget and she does mention how Chiang Mai and Kota Kinabalu have excellent medical care and a few other places are lacking in medical care.  But, while she says you can consult with a doctor for $20 in CM, she doesn't discuss what more complex procedures cost and what happens if you can't pay.

The problem with Peddicord's writing, especially in 2008/2009, was that it attracted people to retire in Chiang Mai on $1000 per month when that's ALL they had, a modest pension income of $1000 per month, with no reserves, no back-up, no safety net.  Sadly, some of those folks are still here, getting older and finding it harder and harder to get by.

Wouldn't it be even harder fro them to get by in a place where the cost of living was higher ??

answer to your next answer :   Yes, it is terrible that so many in the world have not planned adequately

for their retirement as you have.

On 1/18/2017 at 8:58 PM, sqwakvfr said:

As an American I can't just arrive in Portugal and declare my intention to live the "Cheap Life"?  

But you could arrive in the Philippines and stay for 3 years.

I arrived in Chiang Mai on a 2 week holiday, and have managed to live here for nearly 10 years.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:14 PM, rumak said:

Yes, it is terrible that so many in the world have not planned adequately for their retirement as you have.

I planned very well for my retirement, but my plans didn't include my English wife banging the gardener then taking my house and most of my assets in the following divorce.