Trump, now president, vows to put 'America First' in nationalist speech

rooster59

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

But implied it with  'Definitely unfortunately which is why a historically strong resistance is already well under way. The USA hasn't been this divided since the civil war. 

Your filter problem. I didn't predict a literal civil war. Now I think we're sorted about this and again your off topic PERSONAL questions are not welcome on a thread that has nothing to do with my personal life. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your filter problem. I didn't predict a literal civil war. Now I think we're sorted about this and again your off topic PERSONAL questions are not welcome. 

Whoops, hit a nerve, have I? Stand up and be counted is not your motto then.

Just attended a garden party in BKK with more than 50 Americans and families.

Wonderful afternoon with a sense of excitement  over our new President and the path he will chart for the good of the country.

No one voiced an opinion that they are worried and we had many a chuckle over some comments the Hollywood set has thrown at President Trump.

The lefties should get out more often and actually speak with others and learn and respect.

The hostility on this board towards President Trump is truly sad and I feel sorry for those posters.

40 minutes ago, Gary A said:

One of the most important reasons that I am an expat is that working in Kalifornia for a LONG five years, made me totally sick of the liberals and the politically correct people of that loonie state. 

You hung around the wrong people...or watched too much news. LOL

The words of  Dan Rather were quite remarkable and right on target. I, also, have listened to many inauguration speeches. Trump's speech was probably the worst I have ever heard. It was filled with jingoism and almost a hatred of all things not American. Mr Trump better realize that America is not alone in the World and as Americans we need each other and we need our World neighbors. In addition, there is such a thing as preserving the dignity of the Presidency and the dignity of the country. President Trump has already failed on that account.

I want to give him a chance but his cabinet picks are horrid and his rhetoric is worse. He almost appears unstable.

1 minute ago, Luckysilk said:

Wonderful afternoon with a sense of excitement  over our new President and the path he will chart for the good of the country.

No one voiced an opinion that they are worried and we had many a chuckle over some comments the Hollywood set has thrown at President Trump.

The lefties should get out more often and actually speak with others and learn and respect.

The hostility on this board towards President Trump is truly sad and I feel sorry for those posters.

They were not representative Americans. trump has very low, historically so, approval numbers upon entering office, and his dark bloody "vision" speech won't help him one bit on that front. Of course, he doesn't really care. He can just lie and say people loved it!

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The words of  Dan Rather were quite remarkable and right on target. I, also, have listened to many inauguration speeches. Trump's speech was probably the worst I have ever heard. It was filled with jingoism and almost a hatred of all things not American. Mr Trump better realize that America is not alone in the World and as Americans we need each other and we need our World neighbors. In addition, there is such a thing as preserving the dignity of the Presidency and the dignity of the country. President Trump has already failed on that account.

I want to give him a chance but his cabinet picks are horrid and his rhetoric is worse. He almost appears unstable.

It was definitely the worst I ever heard (by far and I watch them all) and I wouldn't be surprised if historians show it was the worst in history. Definitely a BAD OMEN. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They were not representative Americans. trump has very low, historically so, approval numbers upon entering office, and his dark bloody "vision" speech won't help him one bit on that front. Of course, he doesn't really care. He can just lie and say people loved it!

Yawn 

They were PROUD Americans and optimistic about our future.

Stop reading polls,  perhaps leave your bubble and speak with other Americans in real life instead of throwing inflammatory crap out there. 

20 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Are you familiar with the saying, "Put your money where your mouth is."?  For 2017 Trump's place, Mar y Lago is importing foreign workers. Trump claims he can't find local workers. The local employment agency says otherwise. Given the lousy wages he's offering, for once Trump may well be telling the truth.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/business/trump-again-hires-foreign-workers-for-mar-lago-little-change-pay/NtHozFcFMZXQWVkErxSdhM/

I've yet to see a Trump supporter justify this.  

I would guess other hotels / resorts in the area also have access to this cheap-labor for their part-time positions.  Trump also had his ties made using overseas labor.  Many construction sub-contractors fired all American workers and hired illegal-aliens, otherwise they could not compete in the market under the given rules.  It spread from one trade to the next, until nearly all work was done by non-citizen labor.  There was no way to win a bid when the competition had an effective 60% labor-cost advantage.  The issue is changing the rules - not expecting businesses to fall on their swords in an act of pure patriotism. 

It would have been helpful if some business-owners had set themselves on fire in front of the Capitol in protest, instead of hiring cheap-foreign replacement-labor (well, not so much for their families), but the solution is to fix the rules, not expect businesses to commit economic-suicide to 'do the right thing', as their peers take advantage of crooked-laws and non-enforcement of laws.

Trump hired a guy for Dept of Labor who ran fast-food, and previously supported using foreign-labor to replace Americans (Puzder).  He says he was doing this for his corporation to maximize shareholder-returns, but now has a new set of priorities working for the American people.  We shall see.  If Stephen Miller quits team-Trump, it will be a bad sign for working-folks.

5 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

As President of America he certainly has a difficult job simply because of the size of the USA. But I'm sure he won't get all his own way, no more or less than others in the past. It's a 'wait and see' situation. I'm interested in scientific topics (NASA etc) and he seems to favour space science over Earth science. I'll be interested to see how he reorganises NASA, if he does at all, and whether he will revive some older councils. Interesting times ahead.

14 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Yawn 

They were PROUD Americans and optimistic about our future.

Stop reading polls,  perhaps leave your bubble and speak with other Americans in real life instead of throwing inflammatory crap out there. 

Again, I can't know what sort of group of people they were, but they were NOT representative of Americans I can assure you. Just generic "Americans" is not descriptive, especially when describing a people that is so massively DIVIDED these days.

The majority of Americans are not celebrating trump becoming president, but rather feeling justifiable DREAD about it.

https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/posts/10158076123200716

Of the nearly 20 inaugurations I can remember, there has never been one that felt like today. Not even close. Never mind the question of the small size of the crowds, or the boycott by dozens of lawmakers, or even the protest marches slated for tomorrow across the country. Those are plays upon the stage. What is truly unprecedented in my mind is the sheer magnitude of quickening heartbeats in millions of Americans, a majority of our country if the polls are to be believed, that face today buffeted within and without by the simmering ache of dread.

Edited by Jingthing

42 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Dan Rather's excellent comments on the horrible speech:

https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/posts/10158076123200716

Excellent summary from somebody who knows politics better than almost anybody.  This really got me:

He is still in campaign mode and nary a whiff of a unifying spirit. There was little or nothing of uplift - the rhetoric of Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, or Reagan. We heard a cavalcade of slogans and one liners, of huge promises to "bring back" an America - whatever that really means to many who look at our history and see progress in our current society.

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I was expecting Trump to give a Presidential speech yesterday.  Instead he was still campaigning.  Is he really that unsure of himself?  Incredibly bad start but only to be expected.  It looks like Trump will not disappoint his critics.

His critics would be wise to watch what Trump does.  And ignore what Trump says.

Just three months ago everybody 'knew for sure' that Donald Trump would not win the election, anyone who suggested that he might win was a laughing stock.

Now 'everybody knows' just how bad a president he is going to be, they 'knew' before he was even sworn in.

Maybe he will surprise you, only time will tell on this. Worthless speculation is just guesswork, as we saw back in November.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

US companies have used 'globalization' and automation as reasons why they cannot raise American workers wages. Yet -they move offshore and pay low wages offshore and then bring their product back and still raise prices- the company and the CEO/Executives obtaining huge wages and record profits. Trump is part of the same circle. His companies have used undocumented workers and paid minimum wage to American workers.  While he may cut deals to bring some jobs back- I doubt he will go after the real issues of wealth inequity, The economy will probably improve somewhat as some jobs come back and the infrastructure project gets going. However, this is not a long term solution. It just keeps the masses quiet for awhile  as the real problems continue to fester. There has to be a real change in corporate America and an abandonment of materialistic capitalism  before the 99% get batter.  Greed is not good.

What you say is true of every Western Nation. However how do you reverse it. As others say Automation has eliminated more jobs than movements overseas. However the Consumer World is at a critical juncture. That point where no matter how cheaply you make it. You cannot sell it when the consumers have no income. This is the Dilemma those who control the Money must resolve. In order for them to remain the top and placate the masses. They have to find a new way to maximise profit and allow the masses to consume otherwise. The end is the inevitable rebellion in the bottom tares

9 hours ago, dcutman said:

Well the globalist policy we have had for the last 25 years does not seem to have worked out all well for us.

It hasn't worked well for that sector of the workforce who supported Trump ( the same as it hasn't worked well for manufacturing jobs in many other countries). It has worked REMARKABLY well for many others in the community ( who have done so well on the basis , in part, of other countries embracing a freer trade regime and the consequential benefits to US exports: but Trump can't have it both ways and watch this space for other countries to respond to these none-too-veiled threats with some preferences/priorities/sanctions/penalties of their own.

Jingoistic clap-trap designed for a domestic audience is one thing; getting measures though a free-trade Senate, another thing altogether.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Just three months ago everybody 'knew for sure' that Donald Trump would not win the election, anyone who suggested that he might win was a laughing stock.

Now 'everybody knows' just how bad a president he is going to be, they 'knew' before he was even sworn in.

Maybe he will surprise you, only time will tell on this. Worthless speculation is just guesswork, as we saw back in November.

RG3E6FJ.png

12 minutes ago, rijb said:

His critics would be wise to watch what Trump does.  And ignore what Trump says.

I think that is exactly what his critics will be doing but basing that on what he has promised, or should I say threatened, to do.  The President has laid out his policies loud and clear, over and over again, so it is hard to actually ignore his rhetoric.  It is clear that the people voted for him based on what he said so should they really ignore all that now?

Just now, dunroaming said:

I think that is exactly what his critics will be doing but basing that on what he has promised, or should I say threatened, to do.  The President has laid out his policies loud and clear, over and over again, so it is hard to actually ignore his rhetoric.  It is clear that the people voted for him based on what he said so should they really ignore all that now?

The talk is just noise.

He's a hard-core business whore.  Those types will lie, cheat, and steal to make a deal.  

He's not a politician.  But, he has lots of experience in how to make them look stupid.

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It has been said that Pr. Trump is not a politician but a business man (at least doesn't have political experience). Does becoming President make him a politician? How do you think he will run his administration? I am asking genuine questions and not implying anything except that at this stage it is difficult to predict.

DJT: "When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice."

Since when is freedom from prejudice conditional upon patriotic zeal, and why do I have the queasy feeling that "patriotism" will be defined as personal loyalty to him?

Edited by Gecko123

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

DJT: "When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice."

Since when is freedom from prejudice conditional upon patriotic zeal, and why do I have the queasy feeling that his measure of patriotism will be whether people agree with him or not?

Exactly. That's how he's framing it. Unite in worship of his massive terrific-ness (the man that said ONLY he can fix it at the convention) or be considered a traitor by people that do. It's SCARY stuff. 

Remember, he learned his craft under the wings of the notorious villain Roy Cohn. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

It has been said that Pr. Trump is not a politician but a business man (at least doesn't have political experience). Does becoming President make him a politician? How do you think he will run his administration? I am asking genuine questions and not implying anything except that at this stage it is difficult to predict.

Trump is salesman.  A good one.  His company is not that big, so he's not use to managing large staffs.  In politics, as you know, it's all about relationships.  If you want to get something done, you've got to build bridges to the other side.  Trump's knocking them down.  And creating a very divisive society.

Interesting stats I just read.  Trump is inheriting the US when the tail winds are strong.  Unemployment is down, job creation is OK (180,000/month), house prices are up, etc.  Completely the opposite when Obama took office.

1 hour ago, falang khinok said:

talk is cheap....the money spinner for big industries is to produce cheaper...and the only potential to do is to reduce workers costs...best business model: let poor chinese/ bangladesh kids make work for u at a 50 cent a day rate....results: stocks raising..banks happy..talk big want do anythink to help us workers unless big bux is coming back to produce home again....and who from trumps mates wanna loose cash ??? as the only intetest they have is their own maximum profit best on the expense of others, not the wealth of the country nor the wellbeeing of its workers...thats why all this wto free trade bs..to help big bux to do what they want without regulations...results some little wealth in asia big poverty and crime in us and lots of money on big bux  bank accounts located in tax heavens....the other issue to fight islamic terror...another trump joke as it was the us government hand in hand with the cia who was the founding fathers of terror camps in afghanistan back in the eightys ... and they keep the money flow up till today ....its one of their main foreign agendas to keep chaos in the world alive to direct refugees into europe to keep europe down filled with problems....the jugo war was another us project...goal to keep their war industrie going one of the main us export products for the world to experience...first create chaos second come to assist third funnel public money into the privat Accounts of its policy makers as they run the war industries....trump is part of the problem not the solution...bernie sanders would have been a real alternative but they did not let him come up otherwise he might have faced the same fate as kennedy, a bullet in the face is the usa best argument for those who does not agree with their chewing gum democracy...but hope is still alive that trump an egomane will make a difference...but this will mean he has to offense the people who back him up...to go against of the us policys of the last thirty years right back to the moment when they dropped the gold standard for the dollar...

I think I got it, but it wasn't easy.

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Trump is salesman.  A good one.  His company is not that big, so he's not use to managing large staffs.  In politics, as you know, it's all about relationships.  If you want to get something done, you've got to build bridges to the other side.  Trump's knocking them down.  And creating a very divisive society.

Interesting stats I just read.  Trump is inheriting the US when the tail winds are strong.  Unemployment is down, job creation is OK (180,000/month), house prices are up, etc.  Completely the opposite when Obama took office.

That's true but this is a man that couldn't make a profit on casinos! 

Good riddance Obama and your global, New World Order!

What a concept: to have a US President, who wants to put America first! All those protesters know their "free" government benefits are going to eventually be gone and they might have to work like the rest of us. They wont have time to protest with having to support themselves and their families.

I only hope he can do even half of what he said during the Inauguration.