Trump, now president, vows to put 'America First' in nationalist speech

rooster59

32 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Trump is talking about cutting corporate taxes, allowing multinational corporations to repatriate overseas profits, slapping import tariffs on imported goods. The corporate tax cutting and repatriation of profits is being sold to the American public on the premise that corporations will have more money to invest which will stimulate the domestic economy, i.e., produce domestic jobs. But corporations don't invest in new plants and equipment just because they have liquid assets, they do it based on anticipated demand for their products. Many corporations (take Apple for example) have huge liquid assets available to them right now, but they are buying back stock, increasing dividends, or gobbling up other companies with these funds because they don't see the demand to invest in further capacity. Chances are these tax cuts and repatriation of profit schemes will have only limited benefit in terms of new jobs in America. Yes, the middle class will be snookered into supporting these tax cuts by having their taxes cut marginally as well, but the proposals I've read about benefit the wealthiest top 10% of the population. Thus, income inequality will likely increase under Trump's proposals. 

Trump is also proposing "border taxes" or import tariffs on goods imported from Mexico, China and other countries which have large trade imbalances with the US. Great. But who is going to end up paying for such tariffs? The American consumer, that's who. And such tariffs, which are effectively a tax, will regressively impact the lower and middle classes because a greater portion of their income is spent on consumption of goods, many of which are now imported.

It's also been well reported that the majority of manufacturing jobs which have been lost has been due to automation, so the number of manufacturing jobs which can be repatriated from overseas is less than the number of manufacturing jobs which have lost since the 1970s. The American public is being duped into thinking America's manufacturing base circa 1970 can be restored, especially if the promise is of high-paying unionized jobs. Meanwhile the American consumer will be footing the bill for the import tarrifs. Maybe if you're one of the lucky few to snag a newly created manufacturing job, the trade off might be worth it, but for the rest of us, it doesn't sound like much of a deal at all.  And don't forget, if in the process of "making America great again" America disrupts developing economies such as Mexico and China, etc., who are we going to export all those domestically manufactured goods to? 

Building infrastructure and building a southern border wall will certainly create a lot of construction and manufacturing jobs. No doubt about it. But who is going to pay for all this? Trump is basically saying "put it on my tab," exploding the deficit and national debt in the process. All this stimulus will likely increase interest rates and Federal government borrowing costs, which will add further to the national debt. This will add to home ownership and consumer loan costs, but worst of all, this reckless spending is going to put inexorable pressure on entitlement programs such as social security, medicare, medicaid and the affordable care act. So my question is: "are all the Trump supporters willing to see your entitlement programs curtailed in the future in order to "make America great" again?" I highly doubt it. When the government cuts taxes (think Reagan) nobody questions the fiscal prudence of doing so, but there will be a bill to be paid, a day of reckoning, and I doubt Trump's middle-age supporters will escape unscathed.

When Trump talks about eradicating radical islamic terrorism he is talking primarily about military interventions to accomplish this. Certainly, his jamming of the cabinet with generals, and talk about rebuilding the military suggests this. It's the children of the lower and middle classes (i.e., the children of Trump's supporters) not Trump's own privileged kids and grand kids who will be fighting these wars. What will happen when his supporters realize this? Is getting involved in endless wars in the middle east going to resolve this problem? I, for one don't think so.

Trump has attacked and denigrated many racial and ethnic minority groups during his candidacy. He has floated ideas about registering Muslim-Americans, deporting illegal immigrants (with a focus on those with non-white skin), reversing Roe v. Wade, denying women access to contraceptives, restoring law and order by advocating stop and frisk policies, which will no doubt result in higher arrest and incarceration rates for minorities. Many see these policies as promising to turn back the clock to 60 years ago when America was more white male dominated. But America has already changed demographically in a very fundament way, and the clock cannot be turned back. Trump's divisive proposals are only going to increase racial, ethnic and class tensions in America going forward. The turn out over the weekend of so many protesters for the Women's March is a sign of things to come. Trump's supporters will be poorly equipped to shield themselves from these social tensions when they arise.

I <deleted> love this!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

What is he promoting?

Racism , misogyny, anti poor, proliferation of nuclear weapons, corporate corruption  and lies. He has lied about everything he has promised.

Draining the swamp? He has established the swamp as the new normal.

Wait and see, I'm not that ignorant and time will prove it.

When was the phrase Transnational corporate media" coined and what the hell does it mean? Gibberish. I don't have a tv and get my news from CBC overseas service online.

Re: "proliferation of nuclear weapons" - See Z. Brzezinski's letter to Jimmy Carter on the deal with Pakistan to help create the Taliban (6 months before the Soviets reacted - yes, it was "us" being fed the un-"pravda") - how he "regretted" they would need to abandon the non-nuclear proliferation policy to arm and train the Mujaheddin death-squad.  Then they watched as the Pakistanis (AQ Kahn) and the North Koreans traded nuclear-tech for missile-tech and did nothing. 

Re: "Transnational corporate media" - Read the book "The Media Monopoly" by Ben Bagdikian - latest edition (a lot of consolidation since his first edition).  People like Carlos Slim do not buy the NYTimes and loose money for no reason.  Then study the funding networks of the various NGOs and non-profits operating throughout the world, many behind "alternative" media outlets, including those behind many "fact checking" outfits, National Public Radio, etc - and, of course, the "grassroots" orgs behind the "color revolutions."

These orgs split us with "left" and "right" - "racism" - "sexism" - "gay" and "straight" like a bunch of pawns - funding real racist groups like "black lives matter" and "la raza" (motto: "all for the race, and none for the rest") as they pray for poor-whites to react.  Fortunately, that reaction has amounted to little more than some anon-trolls - most probably ex-cons who got "Racism 101" in US-Prisons. 

We all want basically the same thing - a better life for us and those we care about.  They know this, and they don't want to share in the "good life."

As to "anti-poor," the elephant in that room is the bi-partisan Ryan/Pelosi agenda of "free trade" and "open borders" - to destroy the only middle-class populations on the planet - to take us all to the median-living-standard of an Indonesian palm-fruit harvester - but warehoused in coffin-apartments instead of grass-huts.  Given modern tech and energy, there is no "scarcity" to prevent the market from delivering a better life to everyone - though they are doing their best to limit energy-sources with more "feel good" seemingly-righteous memes.

As to what Trump has "said and promoted", it is none of what you listed - that is only what you were "told."  As to what Trump will do, I will wait and see.  Maybe the whole "America-first" movement is just another head-fake - like when the Koch Bros bought out the Tea Party, or their "DLC" that ate the Dem-Party before that. 

But given Trump already has the fame and fortune, so there is at least some chance he wants the glory of "Made America Great" on his tombstone.  Sometimes a rich guy with a big-ego who wants to be remembered as a hero can be a good thing - similar to Perot, but with experience in tv-drama.  He has hired some smart mercenaries for the cabinet, and it will soon be evident what interests they serve. 

Bottom line, we shall see - but don't believe the bull coming from the media in the meantime.  If anything, their hate lies, and derision of Trump is a good omen.

7 hours ago, simple1 said:

At the same venue Trump also managed to again annoy members of the CIA whilst trying to mend relations.

"Former CIA Director Brennan is deeply saddened and angered at Donald Trump's despicable display of self-aggrandizement in front of CIA's Memorial Wall of Agency heroes,"

A former senior CIA officer told NBC News he was embarrassed, watching the remarks, which he called a "free-wheeling, narcissistic diatribe."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-cia-boss-brennan-others-rip-trump-speech-front-memorial-n710366

from your link above : " Not quite a `this hallowed ground moment,'" the official said.

Former CIA Director Mike Hayden, a Republican who opposed Trump, said in an email, "I was heartened that the President gave a speech at CIA. It would have been even better if more of it had been about CIA."

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Trump is talking about cutting corporate taxes, allowing multinational corporations to repatriate overseas profits, slapping import tariffs on imported goods. ...

It's a "deal" - you get more money if you create jobs domestically. 

Trump is also proposing "border taxes" or import tariffs on goods imported from Mexico, China and other countries which have large trade imbalances with the US. Great. But who is going to end up paying for such tariffs? The American consumer, that's who. And such tariffs, which are effectively a tax, will regressively impact the lower and middle classes because a greater portion of their income is spent on consumption of goods, many of which are now imported.

The "labor cost" in the retail-price of consumer goods is negligible.  I have read articles where they literally wrote that if the labor-cost of an I-phone went up by 10x, the cost of the phone would increase by 10x - pure lies and propaganda.  Then you have not only the good jobs, but the people employed from the additional spending in the economy from the employed.  Remember that it's not only "factory workers" who get jobs when a factory is in operation in an area.

It's also been well reported that the majority of manufacturing jobs which have been lost has been due to automation, so the number of manufacturing jobs which can be repatriated from overseas is less than the number of manufacturing jobs which have lost since the 1970s. The American public is being duped into thinking America's manufacturing base circa 1970 can be restored, especially if the promise is of high-paying unionized jobs.

Do NOT expect the same rate of pay as in the past - but still much better than the "new service jobs" which pay so little that the worker qualifies for food-stamps - a form of corporate-welfare, really. 

I have a long spiel on automation - short take: What if we the people owned shares of the "inputs" to the factories?  Not the factories, themselves (no one designs/builds a factory if it can be expropriated from them) - but the raw natural resources no one "makes" or "invents"?  Food for thought.

... who are we going to export all those domestically manufactured goods to? 

Other countries who share our standard of living, to increase the diversity of products without putting pressure on wages.  The lower-wage nations will do the same with each other and, hopefully, get their populations under control so that their labor becomes more valuable.  Supply and Demand is why a limited/closed labor-market increases wages.

Building infrastructure and building a southern border wall will certainly create a lot of construction and manufacturing jobs. No doubt about it. But who is going to pay for all this? Trump is basically saying "put it on my tab," exploding the deficit and national debt in the process.

No, the means to pay for it have been up on the Trump campaign website for over a year.  Don't expect the Media, owned by those who benefit from destroying the middle-class and decent-wages, to tell you about it.  The USA holds the cards/money - the money "remittances", "aid" and "tariff" collection.  Mexico doesn't have to lift a finger, and they can be made to cover the cost.  Then subtract the drug-damage, crime-harm, lost-jobs to citizens, detention and incarceration of aliens, etc

All this stimulus will likely increase interest rates and Federal government borrowing costs, which will add further to the national debt. This will add to home ownership and consumer loan costs, but worst of all, this reckless spending is going to put inexorable pressure on entitlement programs such as social security, medicare, medicaid and the affordable care act.

Might have told Obama about that.  He added more debt than even Dubya, who did incredible damage with his expensive wars.  But, in any case, the wall won't add to that cost over time. 

So my question is: "are all the Trump supporters willing to see your entitlement programs curtailed in the future in order to "make America great" again?" I highly doubt it. When the government cuts taxes (think Reagan) nobody questions the fiscal prudence of doing so, but there will be a bill to be paid, a day of reckoning, and I doubt Trump's middle-age supporters will escape unscathed.

Read David Stockton's book (Reagan's budget director) on that equation.  Unlike all the other Republican candidates, Trump was to the "left" on preserving entitlements.  See George Will's screeds on the subject - the "starve those useless to us" brigade on the right hates Trump.  Tariffs can help, until the domestic-jobs kick in, so that fewer people qualify for entitlements, and more are paying in (and paying more, from decent wages).

When Trump talks about eradicating radical islamic terrorism he is talking primarily about military interventions to accomplish this. Certainly, his jamming of the cabinet with generals, and talk about rebuilding the military suggests this. It's the children of the lower and middle classes (i.e., the children of Trump's supporters) not Trump's own privileged kids and grand kids who will be fighting these wars. What will happen when his supporters realize this? Is getting involved in endless wars in the middle east going to resolve this problem? I, for one don't think so.

The "endless wars" were by design.  Example Iraq: Dissolving the Iraqi army, then Paul Bremer III bringing in Bangladeshi workers, to prevent the unemployed Iraqi soldiers from finding jobs?  I don't buy they are really that stupid - though Trump must say that to avoid the "conspiracy theory" label.  Yes, they do bleeping conspire to do evil and the tin foil would need to be shoved somewhere to believe otherwise.

Trump has attacked and denigrated many racial and ethnic minority groups during his candidacy.

"Illegal Alien" is not a race.  Neither is "Radical-Islamic Extremist." 

He has floated ideas about registering Muslim-Americans, deporting illegal immigrants (with a focus on those with non-white skin)

"Registering Muslim-Americans" - no just immigrants - and monitoring mosques which are connected to terror-activity.

Please link to the "non white skin" reference of illegals - this should be good.

"Roe vs Wade" - True - it's called returning the matter to the states.  Whatever you think of the issue, the legal-decision is a contortion of the Constitution (as are many SCOTUS decisions, designed to increase Federal power).

"denying women access to contraceptives" - Do you mean forcing others to pay for it through federal programs / obamacare?  I personally think it's a good investment, to be made at the state-level.

, , restoring law and order by advocating stop and frisk policies, which will no doubt result in higher arrest and incarceration rates for minorities.

If the likelihood of getting shot by drug-dealers in your neighborhood was high, you might be willing to put up with it to reduce the bullets flying.  We could discuss changing the drug-war into a medical issue to cut out the profits, but that's a long tangent  - one complicated by meth, which makes people dangerous while they are on it - not only when they 'need a fix', like opiates.

Many see these policies as promising to turn back the clock to 60 years ago when America was more white male dominated. But America has already changed demographically in a very fundament way, and the clock cannot be turned back. Trump's divisive proposals are only going to increase racial, ethnic and class tensions in America going forward. The turn out over the weekend of so many protesters for the Women's March is a sign of things to come. Trump's supporters will be poorly equipped to shield themselves from these social tensions when they arise.

It has nothing to do with "white male" - it has to do with "self-supporting with a good job."  I can't say I blame younger folks who don't remember when the market actually delivered that to any American willing to go out and work.  Granted, it was a short window for black folks - between when the repeal of Jim Crow began to take effect, and when the rich began flooding in the Illegals and shipping jobs overseas, to compensate, undermining their futures.  Pretty clever to make the discussion "all about color" so that Black-Americans would not protest when the scab-workers were flooded in, eh?  Read Caesar Chavez for the damage done by illegal-immigration.

Many well-funded orgs spent a fortune promoting that march - bussed them in from everywhere.  Sad what those people have been taught to believe about Trump's proposed policies - which could greatly benefit poorer citizens, if Congress doesn't water them down.  The purpose of the march, and those behind it, is to "increase racial, ethnic and class tensions."  Put the blame where it belongs.  Good jobs will alleviate all those factors.

13 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Sounds like someone actually believes the dishonest press. Wait until he has been in power for a week at least. ?

Now where did we hear this one before?

Wait until the primaries are over. Wait until the elections are over. Wait until the electoral college vote. Wait until the figuration. And so on and so forth. He ain't gonna change his style.

Edited by Morch

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

Wait until the primaries are over. Wait until the elections are over. Wait until the electoral college vote. Wait until the figuration. And so on and so forth. He ain't gonna change his style.

What you see is what you get.

SaneMax, of course he isn't a dictator, duh; however I elected to be ironic in describing his character and reputation and personality. Perhaps I should have used a better, more accurate description. To me, that's how he is already acting - like a dictator. I am quite certain I will use other adjectives relating to his activities soon. Stand by. Hail to the Chief! (uh-oh... being ironic again!)

On 1/21/2017 at 0:37 PM, uptheos said:

I'm willing to trust UK will get a better deal with him, rather than bowing down to Angela Merkel, the EU courts and all the restrictions put on our deals. Lets give him a go, better than what the UK had.

21 hours ago, Grouse said:

Please sir...

Mr Gove (he's a bit odd) and Mr Farage said that your nice Mr Trump would give a great trade deal to the UK quickly. Please don't forget little England.

I am a bit worried because Mr Trump always says "America First". Is he going to give us jobs too?

"I think Brexit is going to end up being a great thing," Trump said. "I’ll tell you, the fact that your pound sterling has gone down? Great. Because business is unbelievable in a lot of parts in the UK."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/963859-trump-says-brexit-to-be-a-great-thing-wants-very-substantial-cut-in-nuclear-weapons/#comment-11525296

Donald Trump’s trade chief said ‘Brexit is God-given opportunity for Britain’s financial rivals'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-s-trade-chief-brexit-god-given-right-eu-a7495906.html

Brexit is a ‘God-given opportunity’ to steal trade from UK: Wilbur Ross

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/27/brexit-is-a-god-given-opportunity-to-steal-trade-from-uk-wilbur-ross.html

Use Brexit to steal UK trade, says Trump aide

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/use-brexit-to-steal-uk-trade-says-trump-aide-22rkpmfr7

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

On the general theme, I agree.  I cannot count the wonderful things we were told Bill Clinton and Obama would do in their 2nd Term - we just had to wait, so they could "appear centrist" to get that re-election bid done. 

If Trump goes in the wrong direction - i.e. "against the interests of American Citizens in the working-class" - on trade and/or immigration, all bets are off.

On 1/21/2017 at 2:47 PM, Jingthing said:

That seems to be something trumpist bullies say a lot. Taunting, insulting, tinged with homophobic and misogynic tones. It's not surprising. trump himself is a BULLY and he encourages his rabid supporters to act like him. Nothing new in history with moronic self destructive authoritarian populist movements in history from the left and the right, but in this case, it's from the right.

Anyway, we're not talking about Obama and Clinton now. We're talking about the newly installed man baby authoritarian demagogue.

It's not really surprising that international leaders see in trump a new kind of American president unlike any American president they've seen in recent times, though he does harken back a bit to Teddy Roosevelt. trump is in the same league now as Putin, Chavez, Assad, and Duterte. Basically -- HORRIFYING.

...trump is in the same league now as Putin, Chavez, Assad, and Duterte.

As much as I understand your angst, I'll have to reject your hyperbole.

On 1/21/2017 at 1:59 PM, Diplomatico said:

Why do posters link to opinion pieces like this and expect others to think it's somehow "factual" or "proof" of something?  Absurd, really.

That's an apt description of Trump's statements, tweets and public addresses. Don't recall much indignation from his supporters on this front. Carry on.

On 1/21/2017 at 0:53 PM, uptheos said:

Good on you Craig. I can't understand why most Americans don't wish him luck now he's the POTUS, after all if America in fact does become a better country, isn't that a good thing?

On 1/21/2017 at 1:31 PM, uptheos said:

I think it's more a question of volatile, unpredictable democrat thugs, causing as much mayhem as demonstrated yesterday while USA was celebrating the inauguration of a president...disgraceful! Here's hoping the POTUS gives the police all they need to quell this uprising against a democratically elected president.

Sometimes, one misses consistency.

The "most American's don't wish him luck now he's POTUS" seems at odds with the usual assertions about Trump's popularity. And to answer that question - not everything Trump stands for is accepted as better for the country. In fact, many feel the opposite. So in that sense, and with regard to some of his views - failure would not be perceived as a negative outcome.

As for them "democrat thugs" - do make up your mind. Either the protests are a futile tantrum thrown by snowflakes, or they are a threat to US national security. They can't be meaningless and serious at the same time.

5 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Whenever an American tells me they think Trump will  be a fantastic president and good for the world, instant unfreinding.

And this is the exact problem. You are contributing to the partisanship. When a friend tells me they like Trump, I am all ears. As a lifelong democrat I take some responsibility for this loss. Who's fault was it anyway? And what is wrong with having friends of different persuasions? I love the diversity of thought. I love the friendly debate. I am finding it harder to get along with my democrat friends these days, than my conservative friends. My more liberal friends just do not what to hear my objective thought. They do not want to hear that I want him to do well, as our current leader. They do not want to hear that his policies might be good for the economy. 

Alot of my democratic friends are wringing their hands in disgust. But, the way I feel is that to some extent the Democratic Party brought this on. The utter insistence on political correctness has weakened the party to an alarming degree. In my opinion that is what allowed both the Trump victory and Brexit. PC is symbolic of an astonishing lack of courage. Tell it like it is. I hate dancing around in circles, and that constant fear of offending people. Go ahead and offend them. So what? That combined with a truly terrible candidate, gangsters like Wasserman Schultz, and the rest of the DNC, and the disgusting denigration of Sanders, the most noble man to represent the democratic party in decades, perhaps. And this is what we got. Please. Let's take some responsibility for this. I see alot of denial out there right now.

Edited by spidermike007

5 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Actually the 92 million stat of unemployed Americans not in the labour force include retirees, stay at home moms and dads, students not looking , and the disabled. Quit buggering around stats to suit your agenda.

Well, at least admit that the numbers he was using were ridiculously low. And fudged to death. 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And this is the exact problem. You are contributing to the partisanship. When a friend tells me they like Trump, I am all ears. As a lifelong democrat I take some responsibility for this loss. Who's fault was it anyway? And what is wrong with having friends of different persuasions? I love the diversity of thought. I love the friendly debate. I am finding it harder to get along with my democrat friends these days, than my conservative friends. My more liberal friends just do not what to hear my objective thought.

Alot of my democratic friends are wringing their hands in disgust. But, the way I feel is that to some extent the Democratic Party brought this on. The utter insistence on political correctness has weakened the party to an alarming degree. In my opinion it is what allowed both the Trump victory and Brexit. It is symbolic of an astonishing lack of courage. That combined with a truly terrible candidate, gangsters like Wasserman Schultz, and the disgusting denigration of Sanders, the most noble man to represent the democratic party in decades, perhaps. And this is what we got. Please. Let's take some responsibility for this. I see alot of denial out there right now.

Your argument is compelling, and I agree with many points. But I think Trump is so abhorrent and outlandish, I cannot see eye to eye with his supporters on any issue.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

His style is not the point. His ACCOMPLISHMENTS in office are. It is far too early to be judging his presidency.

2 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Jack Thompson... I'm sorry but you are completely over the top insane.

This is how Trump got into power....nutcases buying bullshite.

Perhaps you mean that history - as revealed by well-researched and documented books by PhDs and declassified government docs - seems insane?  Or that it's events are often carried out by those whose lack of morals and decency seems insane to good people?  If so, we are in agreement on those points.  

I don't think most who voted for Trump are insane, or racist, or haters, or have a clue about most of what I have explained.  They just want the opportunities their parents had - and know the other candidates, in both parties, were members of the gang that was busy selling out their futures.  Trump was the wild-card.

6 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Jack Thompson... I'm sorry but you are completely over the top insane.

This is how Trump got into power....nutcases buying bullshite.

I thought he gave a very thoughtful response to what I thought was another very thoughtful post. That's how you find common ground. What has your post contributed?

9 hours ago, Morch said:

Plus it comes across that again Trump (if he is sincere) is unaware of detail in that he insists a quick trade deal could be achieved with the UK. In fact the very earliest such as agreement could be formalised is mid 2019 as  EU treaties prohibit the UK from conducting formal negotiations while it is still a member of the EU.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38639638

Edited by simple1

6 hours ago, Opl said:

eflEColL_normal.png Financial Times

@FT

Inauguration crowd size estimates are in:
-Trump 2017: 250,000
-Obama 2013: 1,000,000
-Obama 2009: 1,800,000http://on.ft.com/2j3Otk8 

The whole world though Obama was going to be the real thing, back in 2009, i remember him going to Germany and tens of thousands turned out, only to find he could not even keep to a red line in the sand, and was just another career politician 

In the popularity stakes the only way is up for Trump, and IMHO 4 years from now his approval rating will soar

14 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Plus it comes across that again Trump (if he is sincere) is unaware of detail in that he insists a quick trade deal could be achieved with the UK. In fact the very earliest such as agreement could be formalised is mid 2019 as  EU treaties prohibit the UK from conducting formal negotiations while it is still a member of the EU.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38639638

Trade deals can and often fo take many years to work out and implement so any deal which is ready for 2019 would be quite fast.

8 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

The whole world though Obama was going to be the real thing, back in 2009, i remember him going to Germany and tens of thousands turned out, only to find he could not even keep to a red line in the sand, and was just another career politician 

In the popularity stakes the only way is up for Trump, and IMHO 4 years from now his approval rating will soar

I like that you grasp the truth of trump's current situation entering office with atrociously low approval ratings. For people that say he hasn't done anything yet, consider his appalling character. He's stuck with that and it will not EVER change. Now the nation and the world are stuck with it.  Totally unfit to be president. A man that mentally flawed can't possibly be a successful president. The best that we can hope for is to get through this to the other side still intact as a nation. 

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Trade deals can and often fo take many years to work out and implement so any deal which is ready for 2019 would be quite fast.

Trump's statements do not acknowledge this timeline, rather infer can be put in-place in the near term.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I like that you grasp the truth of trump's current situation entering office with atrociously low approval ratings. For people that say he hasn't done anything yet, consider his appalling character. He's stuck with that and it will not EVER change. Now the nation and the world are stuck with it.  Totally unfit to be president. A man that mentally flawed can't possibly be a successful president. The best that we can hope for is to get through this to the other side still intact as a nation. 

In his speech he spoke of decimated communities, closed industries and the outsourcing abroad of key work, leaving ordinary people scrabbling for low-paid and unreliable jobs, while the wealthy ruling class make decisions and policies which enrich a small elite. 

That sounds very left wing to me, never heard HC touch on this much, are you saying he does not care and his words are empty? this was not  electioneering he was  President when he said this

Do you care about these issues? or is it just your personal circumstances under threat, give the guy a chance please, he could actually be the best thing ever happened to the good old USA, which is in so much decline and slowly turning into a third world country it hurts the rest of the world as China grows stronger and stronger 

We all know a very few percentage own all the wealth of the rest in America, seems to me he wants to change that and stick it right up their ******* and the politicians as well