Trump, now president, vows to put 'America First' in nationalist speech

rooster59

Shortly after Donald Trump was sworn into office as the 45th President of the United States, all foreign ambassadors were fired and with no concrete replacement ambassadors lined up.

Mr Trump had demanded that every ambassador in countries all over the world, who had been appointed by former President Barack Obama, were told to leave their offices by midday on 20 January and with no grace period.

His transition team had said on 23 December there would be “no exceptions” for ambassadors requesting to extend their postings past Inauguration day, in contrast with other Presidents, even for ambassadors with young children.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/youre-fired-donald-trump-sacks-all-foreign-us-ambassadors-with-nobody-to-replace-them-35386565.html

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Given our standards of living are not too far apart, something should be possible which is a "win-win" for both Brits and Americans.

GDP per capita in U.K. Is about 63% of USA currently as far as I can determine. Please correct me if you have better data.

The point is that Trump wants to repatriate jobs to the USA and views globalisation as a zero sum game. Foolish I know, but I do not know how he will help the UK in the light of his rhetoric 

If you want to avoid Trump, Jay-bore, stay out of America.' Make America beautiful again'.

Please don't make the mistake of confusing invective with insolence.If you lack the wit or intelligence to make a reasonable comment I would suggest silence is the preferable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

31 minutes ago, Grouse said:

GDP per capita in U.K. Is about 63% of USA currently as far as I can determine. Please correct me if you have better data.

The point is that Trump wants to repatriate jobs to the USA and views globalisation as a zero sum game. Foolish I know, but I do not know how he will help the UK in the light of his rhetoric 

GDP per-capita doesn't relate directly to median-wages for working-class folks.  Almost all gains from GDP in the USA to to a tiny few.  But bottom line on trade, if working Brits can afford to buy goods produced by working Americans and vice-versa, then trade can expand variety of choice for both populations, without eroding ether's standard of living.  There are other factors, but that is the primary one.

12 hours ago, Yann55 said:

I would say 'most' rather than many, and of course it's a stereotype but stereotypes on principle describe a majority of people. So yes, Americans tend to be considered as loud, arrogant, boorish, patronizing and often ridiculous, especially in the way they over-act when socializing. But frankly, and aside from the 'over-acting' part which is indeed specifically American, can't these things be said of uneducated people everywhere ? Do these words not describe the uneducated majority of populations in every country ?

The interesting thing about living in Pattaya is that one gets to observe individuals who come from many different countries, but mostly from the same segment of society. Some have money, but very few have education. The result is that they are strikingly similar to one another, no matter where they come from : America, Europe, Australia, China, Russia ...

But we are so used to focusing on nationalities that when we see, say, a drunken Aussie behaving like a total jerk, we immediately tend to blame his jerk-ness on his nationality, even though his behaviour clearly has more to do with a blatant lack of education.

For a long time, democracies have elected people who did not come from that segment of society, for better or worse. It was an elitist system, there is no doubt about that, and the Hitler episode considerably re-inforced that pattern, after WWII, as the West realized how dangerous 'little people' could be when they reached absolute power. The result was that 'the masses' felt (and rightly so) that their vote amounted to nothing, because they were always governed by people who didn't give a damn about them, looked down on them and favoured the happy few.

What's happening now is that the uneducated are electing one of their own. It's not just an American phenomenon, and it will spread. Wasn't that bound to happen ? Are we to expect some good for 'the masses' out of this ? Unfortunately I don't think so, because of three very simple facts :

1/ uneducated millionaires are the ones who tend to go into politics. Why ? because they crave for social recognition, because they realize that political power can make them richer and because it's exciting.

2/ millionaires do not care about the poor. If they did, they would not be millionnaires.

3/ clever but uneducated millionaires realize that by playing the 'I'm the champion of the poor' tune, they can get elected. Once elected, they can only do what they are used to do : screw the poor, and make the rich richer, including of course themselves. That's where the US is headed right now.

Brilliant, Yann 55,

Edited by Opl

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

The US is a nation of immigrants.  And it's turned out quite well.

It turned out well for us Westerners because we were on the winning team. However, from the perspective of the American Indian it didn’t turn out well because he was on the losing team.  And right now the destruction of Western Civilization is underway in Europe because of the globalist’s open borders policy. Hence, the Third World Hordes pouring into Europe at the present time have no intention of assimilating.

1 minute ago, Ulysses G. said:

Are those the same pollsters that said he was going the lose the election? Not very dependable about anything to do with Trump.

( pollsters failed to include the Putin's bias to adjust data)

9 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Are those the same pollsters that said he was going the lose the election? Not very dependable about anything to do with Trump.

The poll numbers on the popular vote weren't far off. They got the electoral college wrong but keep in mind trump only won because of VERY THIN margins a few SURPRISE states. Even looking at the actual election trump received well under 50 percent of all votes so that it's down to 40 given his atrocious divisive childish man child behavior (and tweets) after being elected, 40 is ENTIRELY CREDIBLE. 

I realize you're just spouting trumpist talking points. He likes polls when they're they flatter him, and calls them fake news when they're negative. It would serve him to grow  a thicker skin but we all know he's incapable of changing now. The real trump, YUGE warts and all, is what we're now STUCK with. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Opl said:

( pollsters failed to include the Putin's bias to adjust data)

Don't forget all the other phoney excuses. How would the Russians manipulate the voter's responses to pollsters queries pray tell? So far, Donald Trump is doing fine and putting America first is just common sence for a U.S. President.

Fact checking trump's horrible, dark, scary, divisive speech:

“You came by the tens of millions to become part of a historic movement, the likes of which the world has never seen before.”

No matter how you measure it, the “movement” was not as historic as Trump proclaims it to be.

Trump is a minority president, in terms of the popular vote. He lost the popular vote by nearly 2.9 million votes to Hillary Clinton. Clinton had the largest popular vote margin of any losing presidential candidate, according to an analysis by the Associated Press.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/01/20/fact-checking-president-trumps-inaugural-address/?hpid=hp_hp-bignews3_factchecker-405pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.809dff45daf0

11 hours ago, Diplomatico said:

Why do posters link to opinion pieces like this and expect others to think it's somehow "factual" or "proof" of something?  Absurd, really.

'Tis.  Fact is, most of the "news" available to read now are opinion pieces. Even if some facts are presented, the writer wants to tell you "what this "really" means", or "what you should take away from this". Journalism is the major many choose when confronted with their first maths class in college. Hardly the brightest or most insightful of folks.

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

Don't forget all the other phoney excuses. How would the Russians manipulate the voter's responses to pollsters queries pray tell? So far, Donald Trump is doing fine and putting America first is just common sence for a U.S. President.

I do not forget that polls underpredict extreme votes - and this was the case - I do not forget how fake news shared on social media shaped trump's supporters minds -

America is n°1 , America is best, America is the greatest, for the rest of the world,  but Trump needs to lower and denigrate America and the American people to give himself height

Edited by Opl

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Interesting stats I just read.  Trump is inheriting the US when the tail winds are strong.  Unemployment is down, job creation is OK (180,000/month), house prices are up, etc.  Completely the opposite when Obama took office.

I see this mentioned a lot, but I think people draw all the wrong conclusions from it. When you inherit an economy that has cratered there is little else direction it can go but up. Especially when you make money free and take on tremendous debt (also virtually free at the time).

I like Obama but he didn't have anything to do with the economy. The Federal Reserve ran the economy during Obama's entire presidency, for better or worse.

43 minutes ago, balo said:

In the 1930's it was Germany first and a new nationalism was borned  , now it's America first . Lets see how that will affect the world peace. 

It wasn't only Germany. There was indeed a strong, virulently antisemitic, white supremacist, genetics obsessed, pro Nazi American movement in that era. Their slogan, you guessed it, was AMERICA FIRST. 

It's interesting that trump is reportedly rather obsessed with the role of genes in character and he definitely has a history of stereotyping different peoples based on their ETHNIC background. Some call that racist. I know I do. 

4 hours ago, Thakkar said:

Appologies in advance. I realize further discussion along this line will take off topic, but I just want to get a word in.

Agreed that businesses shouldn't be expected to fall on their swords. They will play by the rules that their competitors play by. But let's remember that it was the businesses that lobbied for the rules in the first place.

Globalization lifted hundreds of millions from depravation in places like China, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. This was partly done at the expense of tens of millions of workers in developed countries. It need not have been a zero sum game if the same businesses hadn't also lobbied for reduced taxes, tax loopholes, exemption from pension obligations, etc thus depriving governments of funds with which to improve education, healthcare, retraining , etc.

But that's a different discussion.

Good post, and you could go further and say that businesses never would have gotten away with that lobbying if 10's of millions of American workers didn't have a retirement system whereby they bought stock in those companies to ensure their retirement security. It is one of the most elegant scams/ Catch 22's in history. 

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's interesting that trump is reportedly rather obsessed with the role of genes in character and he definitely has a history of stereotyping different peoples based on their ETHNIC background.

Well his grandfather was German .  They changed their family name from Trumpf  to Trump. Maybe someone should have a look at his family background.   

9 hours ago, sabaii69 said:

If you want to avoid Trump, Jay-bore, stay out of America.' Make America beautiful again'.

Yeah sure with development of the likes of fracking and cutting back on clean energy projects

It seems hard to imagine that any one man, could possibly epitomise so many aspects of those parts of American "Culture" that are truly vile. However there was one, they found him, a man with hardly a scrap of basic human decency,  and elected him president.  The prospect of having to see his mean, smug, brutish, self satisfied face on a regular basis over the next few years, is not appealing.

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

I got plenty of tissues for all you Trump haters to wipe away your tears   :cheesy:

Bye bye Barrack, welcome President Trump.

You get a lot more to cry about after 100 days.

So save your tissues for when the time comes, you will need them.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

29 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

It seems hard to imagine that any one man, could possibly epitomise so many aspects of those parts of American "Culture" that are truly vile. However there was one, they found him, a man with hardly a scrap of basic human decency,  and elected him president.  The prospect of having to see his mean, smug, brutish, self satisfied face on a regular basis over the next few years, is not appealing.

Sounds like someone actually believes the dishonest press. Wait until he has been in power for a week at least. ?

A post has been removed which consists only of unflattering meme's of Trump.   Unless there is some point in such representations, please don't post them.   They are simply trolling and inflammatory.  

20 hours ago, Revolutionary said:

Seem to me the real threat are the so called freedom opponents of Trump. Rioting, smashing windows, violent demonstrations. They appear far more dangerous than Trump.

Trump is a disgusting person with disgusting morals,he is a danger to democracy. All that money and no taste, he must have stopped reading after the Batman comics. Fury is justified.