Trump to visit CIA after feud about Russia hacking

rooster59

Trump to visit CIA after feud about Russia hacking

By Jeff Mason and Warren Strobel

640x640 (2).jpg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - On the first full day as U.S. president, Donald Trump will head to CIA headquarters on Saturday, signaling an effort to mend fences after he slammed spy agencies for their investigation into Russian hacking during the presidential election.

Trump, who engaged in an unprecedented feud with the CIA and other U.S. intelligence agencies before his inauguration, is expected to thank agencies, but some analysts said it will take more than a quick visit to patch up relations with a community he has compared to using tactics reminiscent of Nazi Germany.

Trump harshly criticized intelligence officials after they concluded that Russian President Vladimir Putin directed hackers to breach Democratic emails to try to boost Trump's presidential election campaign.

He accused intelligence agencies of engaging in tactics reminiscent of Nazi Germany, for leaks about an unsubstantiated dossier compiled by a private security firm suggesting Moscow had compromising information about him.

That drew an unusual public rebuke from outgoing CIA Director John Brennan and raised fears about the impact that sagging morale at the agencies could have on U.S. security.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer suggested that Trump would bring an olive branch when he speaks with more than 300 people at the event at the Langley, Virginia-based Central Intelligence Agency.

"Excited to thank the men and women of the intelligence community," White House spokesman Spicer said on Twitter.

The visit is a "good gesture," said Bruce Riedel, a former senior CIA and White House official, now at the Brookings Institution think-tank. Riedel said the visit may help Trump learn more about the agency's counterterrorism work.

WILL TAKE TIME TO HEAL

But others said it may take time to heal the wounds caused by the fight, giving concerns - widely shared in the 17-agency intelligence community - about the qualifications and judgment, of Trump, a businessman and television star who has never held public office.

"While a Saturday visit is unusual - my view is that there is not a moment to waste in trying to repair relations with the agency,” said a former senior U.S. intelligence official.

Some veteran analysts who have spent their careers studying foreign dictators and autocrats have said they are troubled by Trump's style, saying his negativity, egotism, and appeals to nationalism are hallmarks of autocratic regimes.

"Many people are asking whether we can serve under a president and national security adviser who've expressed such contempt for the intelligence community, and one photo opportunity drive-by on a Saturday is not going to change that," said a veteran officer now working at CIA headquarters after multiple assignments overseas, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"It will be interesting to see how many people leave their houses and jump in their cars to drive to headquarters on their day off to make the crowd look bigger for someone who's compared them to Nazis," said a second serving intelligence officer.

MONTHS BEFORE PUTIN MEETING

Trump, who has said he wants to try to work with Moscow to fight Islamic State militants and reduce stockpiles of nuclear weapons, has since accepted the conclusions of the election hacking investigation.

Trump had originally hoped to swear in his new CIA chief during the visit to the spy agency. But the Senate has not yet confirmed his pick, Kansas Republican Representative Mike Pompeo, for the job. That vote is expected on Monday.

The relationship between Washington and Moscow frayed after Russia annexed Crimea from Ukraine, prompting new U.S. economic sanctions. Former U.S. President Barack Obama also blamed Putin for prolonging Syria's bloody civil war.

Putin is ready to meet Trump but a meeting would take months to prepare, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov was quoted as saying by TASS news agency.

"This will not be in coming weeks, let's hope for the best - that the meeting will happen in the coming months," Peskov told BBC, according to TASS.

NO TIME TO WASTE

In a long day of pomp and ceremony on Friday, Trump - a real estate mogul who has never held office - was officially sworn in as the 45th U.S. president, and celebrated with his family at three balls late into the night.

But he squeezed in a hastily arranged Oval Office ceremony to sign an order to weaken Obamacare, using his first hours in the White House to make good on a campaign promise to start dismantling his predecessor's healthcare law.

Trump won his campaign with an often-angry anti-establishment pledge to crack down on illegal immigration and protect U.S. jobs, but his upstart message sparked a series of protests around the world.

On Saturday, large crowds of women, many wearing bright pink knit hats, poured into downtown Washington for a march on the National Mall, which was filled with Trump supporters only a day earlier.

He began the day by attending the National Prayer Service, an interfaith service traditionally held the morning after inauguration.

Trump’s motorcade weaved past handfuls of protesters as well as supporters as it drove to and from the National Cathedral. One jogger along the route lifted both of his middle fingers as he was running.

Near the White House people held signs including “Hate does not make America great” and “Women’s rights are human rights.”

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-22

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

signaling an effort to mend fences

Trump does not "mend" fences - he builds them.

Trump's rant about the media, size of his inauguration crowd, criticism of the US intelligence agencies while claiming fake 1000% support for the CIA in front of the Wall of Stars desecrated that hallowed ground. What Americans and the world has learned about PETOUS and POTUS is ignore his words and watch his actions.

It was sad to see all the protesters in Washington, and other places especially when it is Widely known how many of them never got off their assessment to go out and vote when they had the chance. Now is too late, so they can all just go back home and wait for the next chance to NOT vote in 4 more years.

Didn't he, only a few days ago compare the CIA to Nazi Germany tactics ?

If indeed he does , as he said during his visit ,  supports the CIA 1000%. then by his own words  he supports Nazi Germany tactics.

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

It was sad to see all the protesters in Washington, and other places especially when it is

Widely known how many of them never got off their assessment to go out and vote

when they had the chance. Now is too late, so they can all just go back home

and wait for the next chance to NOT vote in 4 more years.

There are people working right now to begin an impeachment case against the man baby so I wouldn't quite yet bet the house on your 4 years prediction. He's totally UNFIT for the job and most of the world gets that. Of course, USA adversaries like Russia can't believe their good luck! 

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There are people working right now to begin an impeachment case against the man baby so I wouldn't quite yet bet the house on your 4 years prediction. He's totally UNFIT for the job and most of the world gets that. Of course, USA adversaries like Russia can't believe their good luck! 

Impeachment - like Bill Clinton?

But Hilary was totally fit for the job? What a laugh. 

All the nations that became "world powers" decay from within. Looking at the new POTUS and the rejected career politician that decay looks pretty severe already.

No wonder the Chinese are proclaiming the end of Western Democracy. 

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

Didn't he, only a few days ago compare the CIA to Nazi Germany tactics ?

If indeed he does , as he said during his visit ,  supports the CIA 1000%. then by his own words  he supports Nazi Germany tactics.

Its called alternate statements. His speeches are multi purpose. He gives different versions/ideas on a topic and like a old select-o-matic juke box you put in your nickel and listen to version that suites your already preconceived ideas on any topic. 

5 hours ago, kamahele said:

His visit was a disaster.

Yup. Luckily he brought his little cheer-leading section with him so it "sounded" like the employees were "enjoying" his riff..."I'm like a smart guy."

The sound of rolling eyes nearly drowned out  the cheerleaders.

Now they just have to figure out how to distill intelligence briefings down to cartoons.

14 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yup. Luckily he brought his little cheer-leading section with him so it "sounded" like the employees were "enjoying" his riff..."I'm like a smart guy."

The sound of rolling eyes nearly drowned out  the cheerleaders.

Now they just have to figure out how to distill intelligence briefings down to cartoons.

You just supply him with old Superman comics but superimpose Trump in Superman's place. Should keep him out of trouble for a while. 

Anyone who saw him at the CIA cannot deny how happy they all were, cheering and clapping many things. And it seems that Mike Pompeo is a very popular choice, so hopefully congress will get a move on we don't want little Marco et al holding up things.

5 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Anyone who saw him at the CIA cannot deny how happy they all were, cheering and clapping many things. And it seems that Mike Pompeo is a very popular choice, so hopefully congress will get a move on we don't want little Marco et al holding up things.

How many were there and how many employees of the CIA are there?

And it might do well to remember that this is an agency that specializes in dissembling and deception.

Edited by ilostmypassword

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

How many were there and how many employees of the CIA are there?

Couldn't count the camera was too close.

Neither the number of employees nor the size of the Agency's budget can, at present, be publicly disclosed.

1 minute ago, uptheos said:

Couldn't count the camera was too close.

Neither the number of employees nor the size of the Agency's budget can, at present, be publicly disclosed.

Did you even try to google it?  If anything shows how fact-challenged Trump supporters tend to be, it's their inability to use something as easy as Google to get an answer. Anyway, for your information, according to the CIA the totla is 25, 575. And according to the CIA, about 400 members were present. You could have looked that up, too.  The question is, why are you so reluctant to engage with the facts?  Next think you know, you'll be telling us Trump has changed his mind about Wikileaks.

Did you even try to google it?  If anything shows how fact-challenged Trump supporters tend to be, it's their inability to use something as easy as Google to get an answer. Anyway, for your information, according to the CIA the totla is 25, 575. And according to the CIA, about 400 members were present. You could have looked that up, too.  The question is, why are you so reluctant to engage with the facts?  Next think you know, you'll be telling us Trump has changed his mind about Wikileaks.

I don't google, try to give you an answer as I recall, but thanks for telling me the CIA do in fact give out numbers......you see I can learn something new every day, even from you. Now please toddle along and bring me back the CIA budget. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, uptheos said:

I don't google, try to give you an answer as I recall, but thanks for telling me the CIA do in fact give out numbers......you see I can learn something new every day, even from you. Now please toddle along and bring me back the CIA budget. Thank you.

And you close your comment with a red herring. Or maybe your reference to the CIA budget is somehow relevant? Anyway, I decided to look it up to see what I could find. It turns out that Edward Snowden did disclose the CIA budget for 2013 and it was 14.7 billion. There's a useful quality in lots of people called curiosity. It's one you should learn to cultivate.

And you close your comment with a red herring. Or maybe your reference to the CIA budget is somehow relevant? Anyway, I decided to look it up to see what I could find. It turns out that Edward Snowden did disclose the CIA budget for 2013 and it was 14.7 billion. There's a useful quality in lots of people called curiosity. It's one you should learn to cultivate.

Thanks for doing that little job for me.

Well the world can thank Trump for ridding us of Brennan, a warmonger that is the zealot that the US uses to interfere in sovereign nations, including Ukraine and Syria. Time is ripe to rid us of the CIA Mr Trump, please eradicate this scourge of the world.

13 minutes ago, retarius said:

Well the world can thank Trump for ridding us of Brennan, a warmonger that is the zealot that the US uses to interfere in sovereign nations, including Ukraine and Syria. Time is ripe to rid us of the CIA Mr Trump, please eradicate this scourge of the world.

And with a national security adviser like Mike Flynn, we can all feel a lot more secure. As you may recall, he believed that the lies promulgated by a fake news website to the effect that Hillary Clinton was being investigated for her involvement in pedophila should be considered with an open mind. Clearly, he's the man to sift out reports of fake threats from real ones.

1 hour ago, uptheos said:

That's not what I've been reading.  He's got a long way to go before anybody in the intelligence community will give him any respect.  And rightfully so.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/trump-to-cia-i-am-so-behind-you/index.html

Ex-CIA chief Brennan bashes Trump over speech during CIA visit

Trump spent much of his speech -- which he gave in front of a memorial wall that honors the 117 CIA officers who have fallen in the line of duty -- focusing on the size of the crowd size at his inauguration, his appearance on magazine covers and saying he "has a running war with the media."

One source who attended Trump's appearance said many people there were troubled by the political aspect of the remarks, in which the president speculated about how many people in the room may have voted for him.

"We are not political in that way," the source said. "Talking about whether we voted for Trump is offensive and foreign to us by the president ... Many people felt used and awkward throughout. Of course there was applause, but it was uncomfortable."

He just doesn't get it....it's not about him or his ego.

54 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

That's not what I've been reading.  He's got a long way to go before anybody in the intelligence community will give him any respect.  And rightfully so.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/trump-to-cia-i-am-so-behind-you/index.html

He just doesn't get it....it's not about him or his ego.

Ex-CIA chief 

45 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Ex-CIA chief 

OK, how's this, from the same article:

The ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee issued a statement shortly after Trump's visit ripping the new president.

"While standing in front of the stars representing CIA personnel who lost their lives in the service of their country -- hallowed ground -- Trump gave little more than a perfunctory acknowledgment of their service and sacrifice," Rep. Adam Schiff said, adding that Trump "meandered through a variety of other topics unrelated to intelligence."

"He will need to do more than use the agency memorial as a backdrop if he wants to earn the respect of the men and women who provide the best intelligence in the world," Schiff added.

Trump's going to need support from people like this.

trump will never change. trump is trump. He's 70. There is no pivot. The USA has  made a terrible mistake electing (with Putin's help) a man of his atrocious character. Character is destiny and his character means he will be a disaster as president, so the only rational thing for American patriots to do is make every effort to get him removed ASAP.