Trump administration seeks to muzzle U.S. agency employees

webfact

3 hours ago, KenKadz said:

U.S. Federal Agencies have Public Affairs and Press Offices that are the only sources authorized to speak for the Agency.

The is taught to every U.S. Federal employee by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) in the employee's mandatory annual Security Training.

This is part of the organization and discipline of working in a Federal Agency, and the terms of the job the person accepts. Not unlike disclosure of proprietary information in the private sector.

Telling stories out of church is subject to disciplinary actions and/or termination.

This has nothing at all to do with shutting down access to the EPA's data.  This is not about being a spokesperson for the EPA or voicing opinions.  This is not proprietary information. The information on offer was paid for by Amrican taxpayers.There is no national security justification for suppressing it. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Thakkar said:

trum's recruited two additional propagandists from Breitbart. I forget their names, but it was on the news two days ago.

this is going to be a smoke and mirrors presidency.

It gets crazier and crazier every day.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/26/media/bannon-media-nytimes/index.html

Steve Bannon: Media should 'keep its mouth shut'

President Donald Trump's chief strategist has escalated the administration's war with the media, labeling it "the opposition party" and suggesting that it "keep its mouth shut."

"The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile," Steve Bannon said during a rare interview with The New York Times on Wednesday.

"I want you to quote this," Bannon told the Times. "The media here is the opposition party. They don't understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States."

This guy seems to be the root of many of Trump's statements and might have written his inaugural speech.  Crazy person.  Crazy ideas.

Freedom of press is a cornerstone of a functioning democracy.  And yes, a good "opposition" party to keep the government honest.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Steve Bannon: Media should 'keep its mouth shut'

President Donald Trump's chief strategist has escalated the administration's war with the media, labeling it "the opposition party" and suggesting that it "keep its mouth shut."

"The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile," Steve Bannon said during a rare interview with The New York Times on Wednesday.

"I want you to quote this," Bannon told the Times. "The media here is the opposition party. They don't understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States."

Be afraid, America. Be very afraid.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:53 PM, nuakmuaynina said:

How will he get away with it though? Free Speech is enshrined in the constitution. 

Scrutiny and our ability to criticise leaders/governments is all part of democracy... oh wait.. the snowflake probably wants to scrap that too.

I'm starting to think V for Vendetta and 1984 were premonitions not a work of fiction..

If free speech was as you say, Snowden wouldn't be hiding in Russia.

When people join agencies dealing in sensitive information they have to sign to say that they won't tell to anyone.

It's probably all fake news anyway, which the anti Trumpist snowflakes are busily spreading throughout the cyber world because they are sooooooo upset that their horrid candidate lost.

Whatever, I don't think Trump cares at all about what the losers are crying about. He's busily starting his wall and keeping radical Islamic terrorists out of the US, just like he promised.

BTW, have you even read 1984? It's nothing like that.

14 hours ago, Thakkar said:

That would be under normal circumstances. And even under normal circumstances, the Bush administration was able to destroy 22 million emails that we will never see. Even a dunce like Sarah Palin in Alaska was able to resist FOIA requests for years.

And these aren't even normal times.

Scientists are even now scrambling to copy years and terabytes of Climate research data for fear that it will be scrubbed or amended. These guys are working on their own time, 20 hours a day to ensure the integrity of research data.

It is clear that we are looking at a post-fact administration.

Perhaps FBI Director Comey who thus far has been retained by Trump will investigate any current government destruction of data and documents with the same enthusiasm he had investigating HRC. Already some of Trump's advisors have deleted their emails stored on private RNC servers in possible violation of 18 U.S. Code § 1519 and/or 18 U.S.C. § 641. The their actions should at least receive the gift of a visit from the FBI for questioning - lying to the FBI is also a federal offence. Let's see Comey show he's is not partisan in his investigations.

https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-1663-protection-government-property-protection-public-records-and

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1519

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Snowden is not "hiding in Russia." In fact he has had access to global forums, the internet and news media, albeit likely with Russian oversight.

Snowden is not in Russia due to being deprived of freedom of speech in the US but for avoiding the possible consequences of his alleged crimes committed against the US government and the American people.

Ironically, in Russia Snowden has far less freedom of speech than in the US, particualry since he can be threatened with arbitrary imprisonment, expulsion and even extradition to the US - the latter perhaps as a conciliatory gesture (aka reward?) to POTUS Trump.

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Snowden is not "hiding in Russia." In fact he has had access to global forums, the internet and news media, albeit likely with Russian oversight.

Snowden is not in Russia due to being deprived of freedom of speech in the US but for avoiding the possible consequences of his alleged crimes committed against the US government and the American people.

Ironically, in Russia Snowden has far less freedom of speech than in the US, particualry since he can be threatened with arbitrary imprisonment, expulsion and even extradition to the US - the latter perhaps as a conciliatory gesture (aka reward?) to POTUS Trump.

Snowden is not "hiding in Russia."

I was responding to the poster that claimed " Free Speech is enshrined in the constitution." in defiance of reality

avoiding the possible consequences of his alleged crimes

You just confirmed my point  that there is no right to free speech as a government employee.

if the 4th Estate is under assault.... why would Trump's salarymen and salary women also not be? 

the press was limited in it's coverage even before Trump was elected... he likes to sue folks in court at the drop of a hat.  for real.  and now he can use the bully pulpit to castigate them or cut them off entirely, now that he is elected.

the worry is where will it end? or is it only beginning?

Edited by maewang99

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When people join agencies dealing in sensitive information they have to sign to say that they won't tell to anyone.

It's probably all fake news anyway, which the anti Trumpist snowflakes are busily spreading throughout the cyber world because they are sooooooo upset that their horrid candidate lost.

Whatever, I don't think Trump cares at all about what the losers are crying about. He's busily starting his wall and keeping radical Islamic terrorists out of the US, just like he promised.

Free speech has nothing to do with Snowden.  What he did was illegal. You make have liked it, but it was still illegal.   Thus, the reason he's hiding in Russia. LOL

Harping on about Hillary losing gets boring....as does the comments about snowflakes...

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

avoiding the possible consequences of his alleged crimes

You just confirmed my point  that there is no right to free speech as a government employee.

Government employees absolutely do have limits on what they can talk about with regards to their jobs.  Probably no different in a corporation.  I doubt IBM would want their CFO tweeting about how well the current quarter is going!  Oops...that is illegal....LOL

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, I did not.

What I confirmed is that there is no right to avoid the potential consequences prescribed by US laws such as violation of the Secrecy Act, treason, theft of government property, endangerment of government employees, lying under oath, The Hatch Act, etc.

19 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

This has nothing at all to do with shutting down access to the EPA's data.  This is not about being a spokesperson for the EPA or voicing opinions.  This is not proprietary information. The information on offer was paid for by Amrican taxpayers.There is no national security justification for suppressing it. 

Whatever!

19 hours ago, stevenl said:

I'll explain, please read slowly. He is muzzling the authorized to speak people.

I really can't understand how some don't see what is happening.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

"He is muzzling the authorized to speak people".

The heading says "muzzle U.S. agency employees"

You know these employees are authorized to speak because?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can you please give me some links for trust worthy news networks so pro and anti trump folks here can use it as a source for discussion and debate?

If Trump doesn't care about what losers are saying, why does his folks tell the media to shut its mouth? why silence the EPA but not allowing them to make any public statements without prior approval?

19 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

"He is muzzling the authorized to speak people".

The heading says "muzzle U.S. agency employees"

You know these employees are authorized to speak because?

Because I read more than just the heading.

This just in: Veriety reports that since The WH has shut down its comment line, asking citizens to use a non existent  FB messenger account instead, people are flooding Trump hotels with their calls.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/white-house-switchboard-facebook-messenger-1201967138/

edit:

sorry Variety just reported the part about shut down of WH comment line and Lack of FB Messengers option. It was @Timkarr who reports that people are calling Trump Hotels instead.

Edited by Thakkar

On 1/26/2017 at 3:32 PM, Thakkar said:

There are now at least 20 rogue" Twitter accounts from federal science agencies:
https://twitter.com/StollmeyerEU/lists/twistance/members

And growing.

At the above link, you'll find the list. follow them on twitter or at least visit those accounts on your browser. It will boost their morale. They are doing a public service in their own time for free to ensure the primacy of facts over propaganda.

give them your support any way you can.

I am going to remember this the next time some conspiracy nutcase claims that the medical establishment, FDA and CDC are all 'hiding' the cure for cancer and suppressing the 'truth' about vaccines.

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

I am going to remember this the next time some conspiracy nutcase claims that the medical establishment, FDA and CDC are all 'hiding' the cure for cancer and suppressing the 'truth' about vaccines.

This is TV you surely will not have to wait long.