5 or 10 year visa

But it was public that you have to put into your account 3 MB and can't move for  three year ! After you're able to get 10 years that mean 5. Year x 2 time = 10 year retirement visa ?

it can't be a hoax , I think they are not  ready with their system !?

Edited by andser
Typ wrong
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, andser said:

But it was public that you have to put into your account 3 MB and can't move for  three year ! After you're able to get 10 years that mean 5. Year x 2 time = 10 year retirement visa ?

its easy to use google........http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

It was approved by the cabinet in principle but it will take a while for them to do the ministerial regulations and etc. Then those have to be approved and posted in the royal gazette for X amount time before they become available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andser said:

Mention it to your children in case they want to retire here should be ready by then. 

• Like 1

Subject has been done to death on this and other forums. Just plod along on the 1 year renewal.

Personally I would like to see the removal of 90 day reporting  or at least an updated on line system for reporting and extension appointments plus the re introduction of the bar code in passports, saving tons of photo copies as a priority.

Imm is still lingering  in the dark ages unlike most other Gov institutions.

• Like 2

If you are an OAP in retirement, it will be a waste of time even thinking about it as you need medical coverage which we all know is like finding hens teeth.

Aimed at the younger 50 yr old generation, not the 65+.

As Sparkles say's, the one year renewal seems they way to continue.

3 minutes ago, Flustered said:

If you are an OAP in retirement, it will be a waste of time even thinking about it as you need medical coverage which we all know is like finding hens teeth.

Aimed at the younger 50 yr old generation, not the 65+.

As Sparkles say's, the one year renewal seems they way to continue.

I'm 67 and just bought medical insurance last year. And there were a number to choose from.

25 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

I'm 67 and just bought medical insurance last year. And there were a number to choose from.

Please for the sake of all of the FMs who have posted on this subject without an answer, give us the name and web address of the medical insurer for Thailand.

Many thanks from all of us.

Addendum

I must acknowledge that hospital insurance is available for the under 70s but the cheapest start at around £20K per year. Over 70 and you are in millionaire price area where you might as well cover yourself. I do not think there are many Brit ex pats who can afford £20k a year out of their pension for medical coverage. Best to budget in a fixed cost and on top of that save what you can for emergencies and try and stay healthy.

Edited by Flustered
Addendum

2 hours ago, Dan5 said:

If you get the chance, can you link us to your insurer.

I have spent many hours/days looking for an affordable health insurance company to cover us in retirement in Thailand but apart from the ones that want an arm and a leg and also will not cover you for existing complaints, I have come up blank.

Help would be appreciated by me and many other FMs.

Thanks

• Like 1

I meet all the requirements on a positive note, so when this new change hits the street, I will be there to take advantage of it. I am

sure there are many in my category that will benefit from this. Thank you Thailand.

Edited by bobbyd1

Still unable to find anyone who can link us over 70s to a health insurance provider  (that is not trying to bankrupt us) should one be required. Apart from monthly quotes that would actually pay for a major operation, there does not seem to be any way around this.

Any one have a clue?

8 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Still unable to find anyone who can link us over 70s to a health insurance provider  (that is not trying to bankrupt us) should one be required. Apart from monthly quotes that would actually pay for a major operation, there does not seem to be any way around this.

Doesn't exist if the criteria is "not trying to bankrupt us". The older you are, the worse insurance risk you are. The chance that you're not going to succumb to one or other of the diseases of old age is low and gets lower as you age - and that includes simply losing your balance with unfortunate consequences. Unless you're in a country like Australia with its "lifetime" premium calculation for health insurance that's pretty much true of everywhere in the world

I am an Australian Citiizen but have been living in Thailand for close on 17 years.In the past was either work here or live on social security back home.I retired at 65

During that time I have returned home many times but,despite paying taxes for over 40 years, have been ousted out of the Australian Medicare system.

Now at 74 I have no health insurance ,it cuts out at 70 in Thailand my research shows.Quite ironic when I see 60 years olds who are in worst condition than I am

So after discussing the issue with my Dr she suggested that should there be a medical emergency or some terminal disease throw yourself on the mercy of a Government Hospital and in my case my wife would have to foot the bill from sale of our property if I fall off the perch.

No point worrying about it, its ineveitable

21 hours ago, Flustered said:

If you get the chance, can you link us to your insurer.

I have spent many hours/days looking for an affordable health insurance company to cover us in retirement in Thailand but apart from the ones that want an arm and a leg and also will not cover you for existing complaints, I have come up blank.

Help would be appreciated by me and many other FMs.

Thanks

I got most of my quotes through a company named Pacific Prime which gives you medical insurance quotes from multiple insurers. The best quotes were from MSH AsiaCare, AXA and CIGNA. I bought MSH AsiaCare, though they were all reasonable quotes. The AsiaCare quote was $259/month for me (66 years old), $66/month for my wife age 34 and $32/month for my daughter 10 months old. The coverage per person was about 1 million dollars per year, which I thought was way too much for Thailand, but all I could find was 1 million or 4 million Baht which I thought was too little.  Note that these policies don't cover out patient except for a limited number of procedures.

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I am an Australian Citiizen but have been living in Thailand for close on 17 years.In the past was either work here or live on social security back home.I retired at 65

During that time I have returned home many times but,despite paying taxes for over 40 years, have been ousted out of the Australian Medicare system.

Now at 74 I have no health insurance ,it cuts out at 70 in Thailand my research shows.Quite ironic when I see 60 years olds who are in worst condition than I am

So after discussing the issue with my Dr she suggested that should there be a medical emergency or some terminal disease throw yourself on the mercy of a Government Hospital and in my case my wife would have to foot the bill from sale of our property if I fall off the perch.

No point worrying about it, its ineveitable

You need to return to OZ before you have been O/S for a continuous 5years.

Otherwise you have to prove you have resumed residency in OZ then your Medicare coverage will be restored.

Your Medicare is automatically suspended every time you leave OZ.

The Immi, Medicare and Centrelink computers are linked.

Thanks Dan, just what I needed.

Some of those quotes look too good to be true so they will need looking into but if they stick at the $500 per month this is more than acceptable.

It will be interesting to see what happens on application.

Thanks

On 1/30/2017 at 5:19 PM, Sparkles said:

Subject has been done to death on this and other forums. Just plod along on the 1 year renewal.

Personally I would like to see the removal of 90 day reporting  or at least an updated on line system for reporting and extension appointments plus the re introduction of the bar code in passports, saving tons of photo copies as a priority.

Imm is still lingering  in the dark ages unlike most other Gov institutions.

I personally am with your personal feelings but personally I doubt if these things will come to pass. Yes the bar code was a good idea and it could have been like your personal ID. 7/11 could no doubt do a quick scan with their bar code reader every 90 days or 6 months and you pay 50 or 100 baht and your good to go. They also deleted the great queue system and moved way out where people with no vehicle have a hard time getting to. Their idea of service is so out of step with other societies. Surely they have someone there that can see this. I loved the series Fringe and the immigration system always reminds me of the similarity. 

Edited by elgordo38

1 hour ago, Evilbaz said:

You need to return to OZ before you have been O/S for a continuous 5years.

Otherwise you have to prove you have resumed residency in OZ then your Medicare coverage will be restored.

Your Medicare is automatically suspended every time you leave OZ.

The Immi, Medicare and Centrelink computers are linked.

Not always true and I know the links.My experience was erratic from their analysis of my situation each time I visited a Medicare office.

It seems now the screws are tightening on a whole host of issues Inc health and especially those on disability pensions.I believe this is not the case with US and UK citizens

On 1/31/2017 at 10:28 PM, Flustered said:

Thanks Dan, just what I needed.

Some of those quotes look too good to be true so they will need looking into but if they stick at the $500 per month this is more than acceptable.

It will be interesting to see what happens on application.

Thanks

Well they should be or close since I read them right off the quote I got last November. And I bought the policy.

the Thai government reports # customers and coverage types for Thai insurers... on the web and in English.... it's a heavily regulated business everywhere. when you look at that info.... for health cover.. there is really only one company, which is BUPA (Thai regulated).

what I don't like is the requirement for outpatient cover.... which is (1) easy to cover on our own (2) too expensive from my experience and (3) doesn't fit why I have the insurance.... which is so I can get admitted Johnny on the Spot... at any hospital.... inpatient.... not at a clinic for little stuff. but I am going to ask BUPA when I renew this year... I am over 60.. can I even change my policy to meet the 5 or 10 year proposal? I don't know. but I would bet I won't like what it costs.

I also don't like that one extra requirement because it is rather silly and the kind of nonsense that up until now... Thai Immigration... and especially Thai Revenue laws and folks.... are pretty darn reasonable on stuff... but the outpatient cover as one more little hoop you have to jump... in a country where most folks insurance (Thai folks) get dropped once they hit 60 or so... seems petty and annoying as well as all of the above reasons.... the visa is for retired folks in a country where health cover can and is yanked just for being old.... not right.

not right at all.

come on.  somebody In Bangkok take a read or pass this along.

n.b. I am complaining about the outpatient requirement... not the requirement for inpatient (hospital including cancer) coverage... which is reasonable to require. 

Edited by maewang99

14 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

the Thai government reports # customers and coverage types for Thai insurers... on the web and in English.... it's a heavily regulated business everywhere. when you look at that info.... for health cover.. there is really only one company, which is BUPA (Thai regulated).

what I don't like is the requirement for outpatient cover.... which is (1) easy to cover on our own (2) too expensive from my experience and (3) doesn't fit why I have the insurance.... which is so I can get admitted Johnny on the Spot... at any hospital.... inpatient.... not at a clinic for little stuff. but I am going to ask BUPA when I renew this year... I am over 60.. can I even change my policy to meet the 5 or 10 year proposal? I don't know. but I would bet I won't like what it costs.

I also don't like that one extra requirement because it is rather silly and the kind of nonsense that up until now... Thai Immigration... and especially Thai Revenue laws and folks.... are pretty darn reasonable on stuff... but the outpatient cover as one more little hoop you have to jump... in a country where most folks insurance (Thai folks) get dropped once they hit 60 or so... seems petty and annoying as well as all of the above reasons.... the visa is for retired folks in a country where health cover can and is yanked just for being old.... not right.

not right at all.

come on.  somebody In Bangkok take a read or pass this along.

n.b. I am complaining about the outpatient requirement... not the requirement for health cover.

Yeh. The out patient coverage is pretty extreme. Almost no one has it, including Thais. Someone gave me a quote that included out patient. $1000/month compared the the $259/month I'm paying. Should be able to get it for less than $1000/month. I wasn't looking for out patient coverage. But it would be expensive. I'll just stick with the one year extensions.

• Like 1