Tens of thousands in U.S. cities protest Trump immigration order

webfact

Tens of thousands in U.S. cities protest Trump immigration order

By Frank McGurty and Nathan Frandino

REUTERS

r17.jpg

Demonstrators shut down the lower level loop at LAX during a protest against the travel ban imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order, at Los Angeles International Airport in Los Angeles, California, U.S., January 29, 2017. REUTERS/Ted Soqui TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of people rallied in U.S. cities and at airports on Sunday to voice outrage over President Donald Trump's executive order restricting entry into the country for travelers from seven Muslim-majority nations.

In New York, Washington and Boston, a second wave of demonstrations followed spontaneous rallies that broke out at U.S. airports on Saturday as U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents began enforcing Trump's directive. The protests spread westward as the day progressed.

The order, which bars admission of Syrian refugees and suspends travel to the United States from Syria, Iraq, Iran and four other countries on national security grounds, has led to the detention or deportation of hundreds of people arriving at U.S. airports.

One of the largest of Sunday's protests took place at Battery Park in lower Manhattan, within sight of the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor, long a symbol of welcome to U.S. shores.

Democratic Senator Charles Schumer of New York told the crowd that Trump's order was un-American and ran counter to the country's core values.

"What we are talking about here is life and death for so many people," the Senate Democratic leader said. "I will not rest until these horrible orders are repealed."

The march, estimated to have grown to about 10,000 people, later began heading to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office in lower Manhattan.

In Washington, thousands rallied at Lafayette Square across from the White House, chanting: "No hate, no fear, refugees are welcome here."

It was the second straight weekend that Washington was the scene of protests. Last Saturday, hundreds of thousands of women participated in an anti-Trump rally and march, one of dozens staged across the country.

On Sunday, many of the protesters left the White House area and marched along Pennsylvania Avenue, stopping at the Trump International Hotel where they shouted: "Shame, shame, shame."

A crowd that police estimated at 8,000 people eventually arrived at the steps of the U.S. Capitol, where a line of uniformed officers stood guard.

As the crowd passed the Canadian Embassy en route to the Capitol, protesters chanted: "Hey hey, ho ho, I wish our leader was Trudeau." It was a reference to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Saturday Twitter message affirming his country's welcoming policy toward refugees.

Trump defended the executive order in a statement on Sunday, saying the United States would resume issuing visas to all countries once secure policies were put in place over the next 90 days.

"To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting," Trump said. "This is not about religion - this is about terror and keeping our country safe."

'NEVER AGAIN MEANS NEVER'

Aria Grabowski, 30, of Washington, was carrying a sign that read: “Never again means never again for everyone.”

Above the slogan was a photograph of Jewish refugees who fled Germany in 1939 on a ship that was turned away from Havana, Cuba, and forced to return to Europe. More than 250 people aboard the ship were eventually killed by the Nazis.

About 200 protesters chanted on Sunday afternoon at Washington Dulles International Airport in northern Virginia near the U.S. capital.

About the same number gathered at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, where anxious families awaited relatives detained for hours after flights from countries affected by the presidential order.

At Los Angeles International Airport, hundreds of people had gathered to protest Trump's order, as chants of "refugees are welcome here" echoed through the arrivals hall.

Organizers estimated that more than 10,000 people packed Boston's Copley Square to hear Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, a vocal critic of Trump and a leader of the Democratic Party's liberal wing, and other speakers.

During the protests, dozens of Muslims, some of them kneeling on protest signs, bowed in prayer on rugs laid out on a grassy patch of ground in the square.

In Houston, which was already filling up with visitors for next Sunday's Super Bowl, about 500 people marched through the downtown.

Jennifer Fagen, 47, a sociology professor at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, said she hoped she did not lose her job for protesting.

"I'm Jewish, and it's supposed to be 'never again,'" Fagen said, referring to the Holocaust. "Jews should be the first ones to defend Muslims, considering what has happened to us, and it seems it's being repeated under Trump."

At Detroit Metropolitan Airport, police cordoned off sections of terminal as up to 3,000 demonstrators chanted, "No hate, no fear, refugees are welcome here."

Among the demonstrators were Wail Aljirafi and his wife, Samyeh Zindani of Ann Arbor, Michigan, and their three children.

"We want them to feel that they're always included," Zindani, a Yemeni-American, told Reuters.

In the Detroit suburb of Hamtramck, Michigan, home to a large number of Yemeni immigrant families and the nation's first Muslim-majority city council, at least 600 people rallied outside City Hall.

Rama Alhoussaini, 23, a Syrian immigrant who lives in nearby Dearborn, said she and her family emigrated to Michigan in 1999 when she was 6 years old.

"Now for us to see this kind of hatred and bigotry, it breaks my heart," she said. "It makes me feel like I am not wanted here."

(Additional reporting by Susan Corwall, Ian Simpson and Lesley Wroughton in Washington, Brian Snyder in Boston, Ruthy Munoz in Houston, Chris Francescani in New York, and Serena Maria Daniels in Detroit; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-30

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38791752

Trump's executive order: Amateur hour at the White House?

While on the campaign trail, it was easy for Mr Trump to roundly decry the US immigration system as broken and make a general call for bans and moratoriums. As president, however, his team has had to fill in the details - and it seems they faced some difficulty translating his pre-election rhetoric into policy.

Mr Trump's Friday afternoon executive order reportedly was crafted without consulting legal aides and enacted over the objection of homeland security officials, who balked at including permanent US residents in the ban.

He's looking worse and worse every day...

So President Trump is trying to make America safe and is being protested because of it.

It took 1 year for my Thai wife to get a visa complete with medical and police records to live in America. How can people from a country be checked in 30 days. They can't.

Tens of thousands is not a big protest when America has a population of 310,000,000

6 hours ago, USPatriot said:

So President Trump is trying to make America safe and is being protested because of it.

It took 1 year for my Thai wife to get a visa complete with medical and police records to live in America. How can people from a country be checked in 30 days. They can't.

Tens of thousands is not a big protest when America has a population of 310,000,000

Make that population in The US 321.42 And the protesters are mostly people who do not or are not qualified to vote.Many just follow along like sheep.Screw um,The US needs to reform their visa programs to award the ligible applicants and protect itself from those that do not want to follow the laws of the country.Trump is doing that .Good on you Donald

Took my wife five years to get a residents visa and the right to apply for UK citizenship.  She declined that as she is happy to remain a Thai citizen.  Thai's and filipinos  have a hard time getting accepted in the UK because of historic and sometimes current problems and issues.  Is the system biased and unfair?  Yes it is.  Does it have anything to do with tens of thousands of US cities protesting about Trumps actions?  Nothing whatsoever. However might be worth reminding everyone that it is not tens of thousands of people but tens of thousands of cities which will probably mean millions of people.

Edited by dunroaming

7 hours ago, USPatriot said:

Can you show a link that people are being let into the US in 30 days. Refugee status takes 18 months to 2 years to get admitted. 

TH 

"How much time does the entire refugee resettlement process typically take?

Worldwide, the average processing time is about 18 to 24 months from UNHCR referring a refugee to the U.S. for consideration, through the U.S. Government’s screening and processing of the applicant, to the U.S. Government granting admission to the refugee. But every case is different, and processing times vary..."

https://www.state.gov/j/prm/releases/factsheets/2017/266447.htm

These are MAJOR protests. 

Don't fall for the trumpist propaganda.

The new normal is a new kind of civil war clearly and intentionally being provoked by the insane clown president. Don't see how this can end well. 

The election that tragically installed trump was a real "what did you do in the war Daddy" time in U.S. history ... and not enough Daddies did enough to have anything to brag about. 

Shock. Outrage. Resistance. Repeat. Is this the new normal in Trump’s America?

In Donald Trump’s America, there may be no more weekends — just an incessant cycle of shocks, of actions and reactions. For the second weekend in a row, Friday to Sunday was wall to wall with resistance and outrage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/shock-outrage-resistance-repeat-is-this-the-new-normal-in-trumps-america/2017/01/29/14e283d6-e62b-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Ken Khomdee said:

How dare the President of the United States put the safety of it's citizens first! These idiots protesting prove that common sense is no longer common.

He's making Americans LESS SAFE, creating MORE terrorists, not to mention the situation of Americans abroad being made LESS SAFE as well. 

9 minutes ago, Ken Khomdee said:

How dare the President of the United States put the safety of it's citizens first! These idiots protesting prove that common sense is no longer common.

Terrorists are not the #1 problem in the US right now.  Many other things are.  Hopefully, Trump will do a better job focusing on them rather than this minor problem. 

It was a populist speech that resonated with a minority of the US.  Luckily, it was a minority.

13 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

I wonder if their families were blown up in a terrorist attack would these idiots be protesting against Trump then.

Well I was in the Hilton hotel in London when the IRA exploded a bomb in there.  I was in the coffee shop having a late breakfast.  Very lucky escape for me but somehow didn't make me hate Catholics. Or make me hate Americans who financed them.  Funny that.

Terrorists are terrorists and Catholics are Catholics.  terrorists are terrorists and Muslims are Muslims.  If you cannot see the difference then Trump is the President for you!

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Well I was in the Hilton hotel in London when the IRA exploded a bomb in there.  I was in the coffee shop having a late breakfast.  Very lucky escape for me but somehow didn't make me hate Catholics. Or make me hate Americans who financed them.  Funny that.

Terrorists are terrorists and Catholics are Catholics.  terrorists are terrorists and Muslims are Muslims.  If you cannot see the difference then Trump is the President for you!

Weren't those "Americans" from Ireland?

But yes, terrorists are terrorists.  Disgusting what they do to innocent people.

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Weren't those "Americans" from Ireland?

But yes, terrorists are terrorists.  Disgusting what they do to innocent people.

No those Americans were from Boston Mass.  I had a business there in the 80's and they used go in the bars asking for donations.  We were advised to not use a British connected name for the business by the British Consul there and we didn't. I remember watching the hunger strike demonstration walking past my shop in Newbury Street and feeling very uneasy.

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

No those Americans were from Boston Mass.  I had a business there in the 80's and they used go in the bars asking for donations.  We were advised to not use a British connected name for the business by the British Consul there and we didn't. I remember watching the hunger strike demonstration walking past my shop in Newbury Street and feeling very uneasy.

Ummm...Irish Americans.  In Boston, but from Ireland.  Or Irish descendants.  I spent a fair amount of time in Boston also. 

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Ummm...Irish Americans.  In Boston, but from Ireland.  Or Irish descendants.  I spent a fair amount of time in Boston also. 

Yes I guess so. But only as much as Trump being German American.  Apart from the indigenous American Indians all Americans are immigrants, its just a matter of timeline.

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

Make that population in The US 321.42 And the protesters are mostly people who do not or are not qualified to vote.Many just follow along like sheep.Screw um,The US needs to reform their visa programs to award the ligible applicants and protect itself from those that do not want to follow the laws of the country.Trump is doing that .Good on you Donald

Hey if the protests were all those not qualified to vote, they would have had 3-5 Million protesting in California alone. Where are the 5 million with their fake ID's, why are they not protesting? Where is the Zombie army of the dead who voted for HRC. It is interesting to see such a well constructed post    :coffee1:  reflect the skill set and intellect of what constitutes a Trump supporter. Sanukjim, YOU are doing a good job, just keep on going so we can all see what we are up against.

2 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Judging by the news coverage, videos and photographs of the demonstrators you are clearly on another planet to the rest of us.  It is easy to bury your head in the sand and stick your fingers in your ears but eventually you will have to acknowledge the growing rebellion by the world against this stupid moronic man child and his hate agenda.  As it is America is in serious danger is imploding and he is the cause.

57 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes I guess so. But only as much as Trump being German American.  Apart from the indigenous American Indians all Americans are immigrants, its just a matter of timeline.

I think if you research this a bit you'll see the ties to Ireland were recent and strong.

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

I wonder if their families were blown up in a terrorist attack would these idiots be protesting against Trump then.

Well he hasn't barred anyone from a country whose citizens actually have committed terror attacks on American soil. I wonder what countries he has business interests in ...Saudi Arabia, Egypt perhaps?

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I think if you research this a bit you'll see the ties to Ireland were recent and strong.

I think that many of the Irish immigrants went to America at the time of the potato famine.  However none of the Americans I met or knew of in Boston collecting for the IRA were first generation Irish.  Not a hint of the brogue. We did have friends in Mass that were of Irish descent and they referred to Grandparents and earlier relatives from Ireland.

7 hours ago, Scott said:

Numerous off-topic, troll posts and replies removed.  

I can't figure out who I find more frustrating, the people who troll or those who are silly enough to take the bait.  

I have to admit I sometimes get sucked in! LOL

7 minutes ago, morrobay said:

:shock1:Where was the media and all these saps that are having a hissy fit when Bush invaded Iraq? ( that would have been like invading Finland after Pearl Harbor)

The media was covering mass protest all around the world.  Doing a great job at it actually.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/02/15/sprj.irq.protests.main/

Cities jammed in worldwide protest of war in Iraq

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Huge crowds of anti-war demonstrators jammed into midtown New York on Saturday as protesters in dozens of U.S. cities joined large crowds worldwide in voicing opposition to war with Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2765041.stm

Hundreds of thousands of people have taken to the streets of London to voice their opposition to military action against Iraq.

Police said it was the UK's biggest ever demonstration with at least 750,000 taking part, although organisers put the figure closer to two million.

Isn't it so that this kind of visa arrangements are usually mutually agreed between countries.
Certain German Government employees are not allowed to visit the USA because he was born in an affected country and thus has dual nationality. (actually the guy was lucky he just came back in time from his visit to the US, on the invitation of an US Ministry). 
So, now, wouldn't it be logical to reciprocate ?