Canada to offer temporary residency to travelers stranded by U.S.

webfact

Canada to offer temporary residency to travelers stranded by U.S.

By David Ljunggren and Alastair Sharp

REUTERS

r18.jpg

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau along with Jody Wilson-Raybould, Minister of Justice and Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence, wave to the crowd at a Chinese New Year parade in Vancouver, B.C., Canada January 29, 2017. REUTERS/Ben Nelms

OTTAWA/TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada will offer temporary residency to any travelers stranded by U.S. President Donald Trump's orders temporarily barring people from seven Muslim-majority countries, a senior official said on Sunday.

Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen told a news conference he did not know how many people might be eligible but said only a handful of passengers headed to the United States from Canada had been denied boarding.

Trump's decision on Friday, which also affects refugees, left many people uncertain of whether they could enter the United States.

"Let me assure those who may be stranded in Canada that I will use my authority as minister to provide them with temporary residency if they need it," Hussen said.

Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government has refrained from criticizing the United States, which takes 75 percent of Canadian exports, preferring instead to stress Canada is open to refugees.

"Every country has the right to determine their policies," said Hussen.

The Canadian Council for Refugees and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, or CCLA, called on Ottawa to withdraw from a Safe Third Country agreement with the United States, under which Canada returns asylum seekers crossing the border.

"There's a danger that the U.S. is doing blanket detentions and deportations ... and not honoring asylum claims," said CCLA Executive Director Sukanya Pillay.

Such a move would be diplomatically insulting and Hussen said the pact would remain unchanged for now.

Local and national politicians have condemned Trump's ban and the opposition New Democrats want an emergency debate in the federal Parliament.

The U.S. Consulate in Toronto said it would suspend services on Monday because of a planned demonstration.

More than 200 Canadian technology company founders, executives and investors said on Sunday that Ottawa should immediately give temporary residency to those displaced by Trump's order.

"(We) understand the power of inclusion and diversity of thought, and that talent and skill know no borders," they said in an open letter.

Canada wants to attract tech workers from abroad while retaining those who are often lured away. More than 300,000 Canadians work in California's Silicon Valley.

Bob Vaez, the Iranian-born chief executive of tech firm Event Mobi, canceled plans on Sunday to accept an industry award in Las Vegas. Many event organizers could seek alternative locations, he said.

"Are they going to keep their conferences in the U.S., knowing that so many people are going to be barred?" he said.

(Additional reporting by Anna Mehler Paperny in Toronto and Andrea Hopkins in Ottawa; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-30

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Canada's ..."Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussein..." is apparently all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I had the pleasure of dealing with him a week ago. I was getting through with the previous administration and as soon as he got took power; a big <deleted> you i won't read more than the first line of your case file.

An other muslim racist.

Trudeau is also a piece of rotten crap. He's flooding the immigration process of REAL Canadians wanting to be with their family, with random anti-Canadian Muslims that have priority and are given salaries. There's huge delays because of this flood of non Canadian related immigrants.  Meanwhile, productive members of the society are not allowed to have their foreign families  visit them.

Edited by bearpolar

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Canada's ..."Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussein..." is apparently all for it.

Not to worry, "Harjit Sanjay, Minister of National Defense..." is on the job!

The above comments will be 'liked' by like-minded, simpleton, fear-driven, under-educated, covert racists and  xenophobes, no doubt emboldened by Trump and his alt-right/white advisors and followers.

Meanwhile, some anglo-saxon sounding officials had similar sentiments regarding the disgusting attack at a Quebec Mosque  (thus, are they traitors to your 'cause' or to their country one wonders?)

-Canada's public safety minister, Ralph Goodale, said on Twitter that he was "deeply saddened" by the loss of life and injuries.

-Greg Fergus, an MP in Quebec, described on Twitter the attack as "a terrorist act - the result of years of demonizing Muslims".

Edited by sujoop
format

2 hours ago, sujoop said:

-Greg Fergus, an MP in Quebec, described on Twitter the attack as "a terrorist act - the result of years of demonizing Muslims".

They have demonized themselves by their own actions.

Don't act foolish Canada.

Quebec City mosque attack: Six dead and eight injured.

An investigation by Radio-Canada's Enquête has uncovered the identities of a group of 10 young Quebecers who secretly joined militants in Syria to fight against the Bashar al-Assad regime. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/29/americas/quebec-mosque-shooting/

Religion of Peace!

Unbelievable. Retarded lefties blame already Trump for the massacre.

Edited by alocacoc

bravo Canada!!!

53 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Don't act foolish Canada.

Quebec City mosque attack: Six dead and eight injured.

An investigation by Radio-Canada's Enquête has uncovered the identities of a group of 10 young Quebecers who secretly joined militants in Syria to fight against the Bashar al-Assad regime. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/29/americas/quebec-mosque-shooting/

Religion of Peace!

Unbelievable. Retarded lefties blame already Trump for the massacre.

you meant; 'Christianity, religion of peace'? what i know it was not muslim did that massacre.

15 minutes ago, Galactus said:

bravo Canada!!!

you meant; 'Christianity, religion of peace'? what i know it was not muslim did that massacre.

One of the attacker is an Maroccan. Hardly a christian.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/201701/29/01-5064348-six-musulmans-tues-dans-un-attentat-terroriste-a-quebec.php

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/quebec-mosque-terror-attack-what-9719882

Edited by alocacoc

All foreign allies opposing the newly installed fascist U.S. president are VERY WELCOME by the majority of the American people ... who are now demonized as "enemies" of the insane clown president. It's going to be a long haul getting through this (IF). 

4 hours ago, sujoop said:

The above comments will be 'liked' by like-minded, simpleton, fear-driven, under-educated, covert racists and  xenophobes, no doubt emboldened by Trump and his alt-right/white advisors and followers.

Meanwhile, some anglo-saxon sounding officials had similar sentiments regarding the disgusting attack at a Quebec Mosque  (thus, are they traitors to your 'cause' or to their country one wonders?)

-Canada's public safety minister, Ralph Goodale, said on Twitter that he was "deeply saddened" by the loss of life and injuries.

It was a joke dude, get a grip.

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

Not to worry, "Harjit Sanjay, Minister of National Defense..." is on the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That's why i avoid news while i am in Canada. I don't want to know who's in charge and doing what.  

Every time i have encountered resistance with the government, the person had an unpronounceable name, just last week again i called the immigration department of my province and guess what, i was screamed at when i asked a question repeatedly without being rude and 2 days later my local politician got me a call with the big boss that isnt muslim and guess what the information i asked for was valid and i was screamed at with  a wrong answer. Thankfully this person is under investigation now and luckly my province isnt flooded with white haters as in Québec you have to assimilate to be welcomed, which i agree with. Everyone's the same as long as we agree on basic cultural values and language.

When i flew in, i was not able to deal with a single Canadian born person at the airport, thick accents, turbans, long unkempt beards.  my small child was taken out of queue and given a full path down by an horribly smelly unkempt "official". When i needed help from the helpdesk, the person barely spoke English and sent me the wrong way making me miss my flight after flying 28hrs with 2 small children. 

I don't see white people being allowed to work at the aiport with long beards, face tattoos or those large idiotic inside the lobe earrings.

Funny enough, when i fly through middle eastern countries, the muslims over there speak english and are professionally dressed and clean.

Thailand has flaws but at least its honest, its the land of the thais. You can bring your culture, you can live it but you will not be imposing on them and the more you adapt to their own culture the more they will love you.

Edited by bearpolar

4 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

That's why i avoid news while i am in Canada. I don't want to know who's in charge and doing what.  

Every time i have encountered resistance with the government, the person had an unpronounceable name, just last week again i called the immigration department of my province and guess what, i was screamed at when i asked a question repeatedly without being rude and 2 days later my local politician got me a call with the big boss that isnt muslim and guess what the information i asked for was valid and i was screamed at with  a wrong answer. Thankfully this person is under investigation now and luckly my province isnt flooded with white haters as in Québec you have to assimilate to be welcomed, which i agree with. Everyone's the same as long as we agree on basic cultural values and language.

When i flew in, i was not able to deal with a single Canadian born person at the airport, thick accents, turbans, long unkempt beards.  my small child was taken out of queue and given a full path down by an horribly smelly unkempt "official". When i needed help from the helpdesk, the person barely spoke English and sent me the wrong way making me miss my flight after flying 28hrs with 2 small children. 

I don't see white people being allowed to work at the aiport with long beards, face tattoos or those large idiotic inside the lobe earrings.

Thailand has flaws but at least its honest, its the land of the thais. You can bring your culture, you can live it but you will not be imposing on them and the more you adapt to their own culture the more they will love you.

Somehow I doubt you have as impressive a curriculum vitae as does Harjit Sajjan or have put your life at risk the way he has in the service of his nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harjit_Sajjan

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

This is a joke because he has a name that sounds funny to you?

Apparently the humor went over your head.

To be clear, the name does not sound funny to me. It was the context the name was in. But not as funny as jokes about the bowling and the Special Olympics. 

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Apparently the humor went over your head.

To be clear, the name does not sound funny to me. It was the context the name was in. But not as funny as jokes about the bowling and the Special Olympics. 

The context being that a Sikh was involved with this?  I think this is what's known as breitbart.com humor.

You should read about him

Oh, I forgot, you don't know how to use links.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

The context being that a Sikh was involved with this?  I think this is what's known as breitbart.com humor.

You should read about him

Oh, I forgot, you don't know how to use links.

That he was Sikh was not in the context of the thread. Why not read the thread? No need to Google-up the punch line.