Shameful: Farang lowlife cons Thais stuck in traffic by lying about robbery

webfact

This is not unknown to me.We had a guy come in the bar one night,telling tales of woe and robbery.He was a stranger and had the same old story.he had had his MC stolen and his money was under the seat.He was soooo glad to see the bar had a felang owner and could he have a drink and pay us the next day.I said "sure,anything for a UK guy in trouble" the wife made him a cup of tea.I told him that i expected him back with a 100 baht the next day.Yeah right!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, outsider said:

Feels different now that the boot is on the other foot eh? Still, this 'falang' needs to be hauled up for working without a permit (I suspect) and working in a profession reserved for Thais only.

Hung by the ankles, flayed, con-man cut into his forehead and forced to spend a week living with 4 pattaya ladyboys, just for starters.

Signed.

First nephew of Idi Amin.

A bit late to this particular party as I have been busy elsewhere but here goes, a while back in my village, a Thai bird on a scooter rang our doorbell, the Mrs went to investigate, turns out she was asking for 400 THB as her sister had been pulled over by the BiB for no helmet and other offences, she said her Husband wasn't at home so she couldn't ask him for the money and would I lend her it, to be returned in a little while.

Now I'm no mug, the girl DID live in the village, although I didn't know her personally, so I gave her 500 THB, the upshot is she never came back, I didn't get my 500 THB back and it also left a nasty taste in my mouth. It turns out that she was leaving the old man or something and just tried it on, okay, I got caught, never again will that happen, anyone who ever asks me for money will get very short shrift I'm afraid.

But, and this is the nice bit, Karma does exist, the following week I won an overnight stay at the Rembrandt hotel (Bangkok) on the Executive floor, and also a nights stay at the Amari Ocean Tower Pattaya, both including breakfast and at one of them a free birthday cake for the Mrs.

So don't come asking for money as a smack in the mouth is all you'll get :giggle: Joking people, have a nice evening.

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Hmmmm... almost as creative and lucrative as the gravely-ill-buffalo/grandma con. Almost.

15 years ago in bangkok i was approached by a guy asking where dutch embassey was , i said i dont know , then he told me he had no more money left to get back to holland as he did not have enough money to buy a plane ticket and asked me if i could give him 200 baht . i said its easy all you do is walk to the dutch embassey and tell them your situation and they will let you have a free of charge phone call to relatives back home who can send the money out to him i pointed in the direction of wireless road and told him good luck alot of these people spend all their money on drugs and drink then expect us to pay for it 

Most  comments indicate the  primary  reason many non Thai members of TVF  linger  about  for. Not that  most have the  audacity or the  balls to  actually  carry out their desires  except  in mind  while planted  firmly  on a  bar stool!  And  afterwards   complain  about incidents  that they  vaguely  recall  while  staggering  back to some dingy room they  proclaim is  an expensive  apartment !

This  sideshow  is  becoming a  pathetic  display !

Why do people think that many posters have made their comments from a bar stool.Why do people think that we have dingy rooms? i have spent 10 years in Patts and owned 2 bars,it was the best years of my life.I made an inordinate amounts of money,and i thank all my customers for that.When we closed the bar we gave all the beer for free,as a thank you,.i think that you have no real friends.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Why do people think that many posters have made their comments from a bar stool.Why do people think that we have dingy rooms? i have spent 10 years in Patts and owned 2 bars,it was the best years of my life.I made an inordinate amounts of money,and i thank all my customers for that.When we closed the bar we gave all the beer for free,as a thank you,.i think that you have no real friends.

I am guessing you are commenting on my  previous post. Congratulations  on making  inordinate amounts of  money from  customers who occupied bar stools or other means of  support. Nice that you offered  free beer to the then occupants of the  bars at impending  closure. 

But  consider the difference  between  loyal customers  and  friends. I have  both  but few are one and the same. :)

10 hours ago, jonclark said:

But there are many, many more good ones than...its just they don't make the news. So the social stereotypes remain as accepted norms. 

Are there or do you just need to believe that to validate the presence of so many farang in Thailand and much of SE Asia.

I suppose many farangs dont make the news just as many Americans turned out to vote for Trump...

Edited by nemrut
typo

THis is the same scam a guy in my city in California used to pull in the late 1980s on a motorcycle. He'd come up to you in a parking lot and say he needed to get to Stockton and was out of money and gass and he'd tap on his gas tank and show the indicator that showed empty. Funny thing. I saw him three days later doing the same thing. 

19 hours ago, thai006 said:

another good falang ....

He probably uses the gas money to take falangs on little tiki tours to make a bit more money.

I met one like him who did exactly the above, he was a nutter, he got deported for life eventually by a village headman who's daughter he would not stay away from.

They deposited him in Laos, he swam back across the river and went back to the girl, then they took him to the Hilton where they dumped him and it took a social worker to get him out after three years as no one knew he existed.

I heard from a Monk I know that the idiot has sneaked back in on another passport as he held dual citizenship .

Dumbastheycome

Well,Dumber's i did find the 'bar stool and dingy room's comments a bit harsh.We close our bars because we sold them both at the right time.I foresaw a problem when the new pm took over.As for friends I have friends that were customers and customers that were friends.As for loyalty,well,thats something that can never be proved unless tested,and i never had to test any one of my customer's/friend's to that degree.I have sometimes let a friend run a tab in the bar,and was always paid back in full with a drink for the wife and me.I have often let friends on a pension,who dont get paid until the 'Friday'  pay me on Saturday.I used to give a few baht off the price of a drink to certain friends who i knew needed it.Does that make me loyal?I see loyalty in friends/customers who used our bars when times were slow.I call them loyal.There were times in my life(and you have no idea) back in the Uk when i could not find a true friend,And they all professed their friendship for me.Rats and Ships,Rats and Ships,

I found more friendship and loyalty here than back home.Its just a shame that i had to come 8,000 miles to find it.

16 hours ago, juice777 said:

I was in food market once when I went to pay I asked how much? The lady asked another lady who said 40THB as she looked up she saw me then said something like Farang 45THB .The first lady looked embarrassed because I asked in Thai so she knew I can speak at least a little bit Thai. So I said really 5THB you want to cheat me for 5THB gave them 45THB and walked of. Seriously what's the point of cheating someone for 5THB they lost a customer and face.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fair comment however yesterday whilst whiling away the exciting hours of living in Khorat,the current Mrs Dark Lord and I were "window" house shopping. Twice the price I was quoted was close to THB 1 mio more than that which the current Mrs DL was given.

i explained quite politely to the stupid mistitled sales girls that they had lost any chance of a sale purely as a result of trying it on with me.

cheating is cheating irrespective of if it was 5 or 5,000,000