Crashed rented bike prob

Xaos

Hi friend crashed rented pcx. One side damaged. He bit hurt but ok. Police sorted. Come out from hospital went pick bike from police parking droped in Mityon and paid 500 for them to evaluate fix costs.

Next got call from angry rental guy saying why he put bike in garage etc.

Reason he did it he wanted to know real fix price.

Rental guy went there took bike out and calls and says they meet and he put bike his shop bla bla bla. Usual game.

Used pcx worth on my eye 40k

Damage on my eye 10-15k

What he should do?

Rental guy dont know where he stays just got phone no.

He is willing to pay fair price not made up price for fix.

Rent guy want meet. I told him dont go meet cuz they not let u go away without paying.

Get quote over the phone. If it sounds far pay if not tell him get proper mytion quote or he can forget about it.

Any ideas how to go about it?

• Like 1

Paid them 500 bath for evaluating the damages to the bike? They would have done that for free.

So how much did the repair shop estimate the repair cost to?

10-15k baht, no way, 5-7baht tops, parts for those small Thai bikes are dirt cheap.

What does the rental contract saying about damage?

Sometimes you will also have to pay rental fee for the days the bike is out of action.

Good luck with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

PCX's are bigger than your regular crotch rocket and they have extensive fairings so if this was laid down at speed (drivers injuries requiring hospital treatment would suggest that was the case) the damage is probably quite extensive.

Yes but the fairings are still surprisingly cheap. Okay if the fork is bend, exhaust badly scratched, then it will start adding up.

I would like to hear from OP what his friend was quoted for in spare-parts cost? Take that $$ to the renter and start negotiating.

But yes many of those scooter/bike renters make most money from damaged bikes by doubling the actual repair cost, so be aware.

• Like 1

Excuse my stupidity, but what happened to the word "insurance".

Surely your friend took out insurance against damage when he rented the bike?

Hahaha.... That's funny :)

OP, if your friend still has his passport and not the rental place, then tell him to offer the quoted repair costs or nothing.
If the rental company has his passport, he will have to negotiate as best he can...
  • Like 2

Critical point as Cornishcarlos just said is: does the rental shop have his passport?

Incidentally, I wish he (Cornishcarlos) would change his avatar - about the one thing I miss from the UK is a decent Pasty and a glass of cider...

:smile:

Edited by JAG

12 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Why is it funny, insurance is common sense.

If not insured then tough luck and cough up the amount asked for. Absolute stupidity riding a bike without insurance.

The bike will have been insured, but it depends what type of insurance. Most car rental firms offer CDW (Crash Damage Waiver) at extra cost, which means that if you have an accident you will be liable for the excess (which varies) on the insurance. If he didn't take or wasn't offered CDW, then he's liable for the full amount.

33 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes but the fairings are still surprisingly cheap. Okay if the fork is bend, exhaust badly scratched, then it will start adding up.

I would like to hear from OP what his friend was quoted for in spare-parts cost? Take that $$ to the renter and start negotiating.

But yes many of those scooter/bike renters make most money from damaged bikes by doubling the actual repair cost, so be aware.

I don't think his friend ever got a quote. Paid 500 baht to Mityon for a quote but the owner found out somehow and took the bike back to wherever he stays.

Edited by NanLaew

31 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Fair enough but the rear fairing (under the seat) on a PXC looks like a one-piece so doesn't matter if one side is trashed, the whole 'clamshell' probably needs replacing.

This is a fairing for said scooter, can be had for about 200$ (the whole kit), I saw one place.

Well if the renter/owner already took the bike, that means he wants more money then the repair will cost. 

Is he a tourist, perhaps get the tourist police involved but it depends what it says on the rental contract if the renter is allowed to get the repairs arranged himself or the owner?

set-body-fairing-red-honda-pcx-125150-v3

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

If not insured then tough luck and cough up the amount asked for. Absolute stupidity riding a bike without insurance.

Its funny because this is Thailand.. Common sense doesn't come into it !!

Bike rental places very rarely offer insurance options, they make more money out of people who damage the bikes and leave their passports as security.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Flustered said:

The bike would come with government 3rd party insurance only.

To get full cover for a days rent i don't think you can, but maybe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flustered said:

When I rent a bike in Chiang Rai, they always ask for a photocopy of my International drivers license and give me a copy of the bike insurance (several types offered). No passport handed over, just a photo copy of the visa page.

If you deal with rubbish bike renters, expect to be scammed.

Were you renting a scooter?

13 hours ago, Flustered said:

Excuse my stupidity, but what happened to the word "insurance".

Surely your friend took out insurance against damage when he rented the bike?

Rarely offered, they come with the standars 3rd party CTPL. The contract and limited insurance usual states renter is responsible for any damage. Yes, the owner will try to make money out of the incident.

Edited by jacko45k

9 hours ago, Flustered said:

When I rent a bike in Chiang Rai, they always ask for a photocopy of my International drivers license and give me a copy of the bike insurance (several types offered). No passport handed over, just a photo copy of the visa page.

If you deal with rubbish bike renters, expect to be scammed.

If some places are starting to offer insurance, thats great. I have never come across it, and as the rental companies will tell you, they cant get insurance on rental bikes. Some rentals offer insurance, but its personal accident insurance, not covering damage to the bike.

The only time I have come across comprehensive insurance on a rental is for a big bike, it makes the rental ridiculously expensive and the excess payment is literally half the price of a new bike. 

Scooter rental guys must see these kind of accident as bonus pay days - the guy probably isn't worried about a few scratches, he could still rent the bike - he just wants to pocket 10K or whatever the repair cost and will be.

If the rental guy isn't clued up on who you are or who your buddy is and there's zero chance of him bumping into the renter then do the local thing, arrange a meet, make a weak excuse, get the quote over the phone, tell him you haven't got any money, and do a runner.

• Like 1

Rental guy got nothing. No passport. And wrong adress.

We dont have Mityon quote cuz he took bike away and was talking rude to girl over the phone who did talking and had nothing to do with it.

Obviously he wants to play jet ski game.

I advised him to to go there as he want him come meet.

He will shout double price in his face they will surround him and not let go away without paying.

I told him negotiate over the phone if the price is fair pay if not tell him stright u not going to pay it. What he can do. Police is useless.

I told him put bike back to Mityon get proper quote not made up quote from ur friend garage. Made him mad.

My friend is willing to pay Mityon bill and something extra on the top of it, but we need to know real fix price not made up price cuz that can be anything right.

Rent guy want he pay whatever rent man says.

Keep in mind its bike with 20 000km on clock, whats the value of it 40k max. So if he asks 20k thats half of value.

Damage is only where u keep ur right foot that all part is broken and bend up, theres some frame pupe under or looks like crash pipe its bend. Thats worst damage and then few scratches on panels.

I had crash on pcx once I did emergency breaking at 100km h and wheel locked I slided like 50m, it costs 5k to fix.

Thx for help

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't take these renters for mugs when it comes to your friend running away. They will find your friend, in fact they probably already know where he is but won't want to be seen to visiting him. Do you think they are amateurs when it comes to foreigners renting there bikes?
Take or leave my advice when I tell you that if he continues to blank them or fails to pay within there tolerance levels then it will not end well for him.

• Like 1