Thai editorial: It’s nice to have our sidewalks back

webfact

It’s nice to have our sidewalks back

If Bangkok finally blocks the motorcycle shortcuts, will residents’ attitudes improve accordingly?

BANGKOK: -- Having successfully cleared downtown Bangkok sidewalks of cluttering and potentially dangerous kerbside vendors’ stalls, the city authorities have now redirected their aim at the motorcyclists whose use of pedestrian footpaths poses a danger that’s far from merely potential.

Notices have been posted around several neighbourhoods warning that bikers who use sidewalks as shortcuts face fines of up to Bt5,000. The same holds for motorists who park along footpaths in a way that obstructs pedestrians. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s City Law Enforcement Department reminds them that they’re violating the City Cleanliness and Orderliness Act of 1992, which prohibits parking or driving any wheeled vehicle on the pavements.

This is of course most welcome news for pedestrians – and also for bicyclists who, for lack of designated bike lanes along our seriously congested roads, also use the sidewalks regularly. Parents will be relieved that their children no longer face the same risk of being struck by a motorcycle while they play on the pavement, walk to and from school or emerge from roadside buildings without first looking both ways.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30305471

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-02

In some places, the BKK authorities have installed pole barriers to prevent motorbikes from entering the sidewalks.

Our town tried that. Rogue motorbikers tore them out overnight.

Good luck with that one.

Maybe step one is to first convince the BIB to get their own damn motorbikes off the sidewalks, and then enforce the law.

Hope springs eternal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Parents will be relieved that their children no longer face the same risk of being struck by a motorcycle while they play on the pavement, walk to and from school or emerge from roadside buildings without first looking both ways.

It's about changing attitudes and it doesn't come easily or quickly. The public could help by taking video of these motorbikes on sidewalks and displaying it on social media.

1 hour ago, jollyhangmon said:

Yeah, 'posting notes' is about as useful as a goiter.

Enforce existing law (haven't we heard that one before?) and up the fines, no other way.

Agreed.  Hip pocket policing is the only way it works.     However, fines are for the Treasury, not the BIB's tea money.

As all fines are registered, the 2nd and subsequent fines increase, until the magic moment when the licence is revoked.

Seems to work well in most other countries.

.... and once that is solved then get the footpaths repaired and tell the city administration's appointed contractors of overpasses not to put the stairs leading up to the overpass in the very middle of the footpath so we can pass without sorting via the main road - thank you! 

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I agree with motorcycles not using footpaths.....but now they'll ride against the traffic on the wrong side...:sleep:

I know a thai shopowner who speaks good english, he told me he drove into a motocy who drove against traffic while he was on his big bike.

He had to be in hospital for a month, was almost dead and had tickets for his holiday to Europe which he couldn't use.

He didn't get any money from the guy since he was poor.

Also many cyclists bike against traffic, VERY annoying. But the police is on inactive posts so it won't change anytime.

21 minutes ago, masuk said:

Agreed.  Hip pocket policing is the only way it works.     However, fines are for the Treasury, not the BIB's tea money.

As all fines are registered, the 2nd and subsequent fines increase, until the magic moment when the licence is revoked.

Seems to work well in most other countries.

Oi, hadn't considered the local 'hip pocket' (:cheesy:) mentality for a moment ...

Yes, as mentioned already even back home in Europe nothing much would've changed for the better like it did if they hadn't introduced very harsh fines  plus severe 'inconveniences' (revocation of licenses, high 'fees' for extra 'tuition' ... jail if need be ...) for serious offences like DUI/driving-while-blind or the damned hit-and-run thing that prevails here.

That was some 35, 40yrs back though ... 

Edited by jollyhangmon

There has been no attempt whatsoever to reclaim the sidewalks in ChiangMai. In Nimmanhaemin, where there are condos and hotels going up in practically every Soi and old shops are rapidly being redeveloped as McDonalds, up-market boutiques, and modern coffee shops, the sidewalks are not navigable and are in a poor state of repair. It seems that while private enterprise here is on the ball the government authorities are quite incompetent, which surely can't be due to a lack of funds given the rates and taxes that the many new developments must be bringing in. At the very least the bureaucratic bosses deserve a good kick up the ass, if not dismissal.

I was once run over from behind by a motor cycle taxi driver on the footpath.  I thought I had broken my back for a few moments but was fortunately able to get to my feet after a while.  Then the motorcyclist came at me, as I was assessing the damage to my spine, claiming it was my fault because I failed to get out of his way, and demanded money for a tiny scratch on his knee.  When I refused he got aggressive and said he would get the police on my but actually started trying to flag down other motor cyclists asking them to help get money out of the farang.  Luckily for me none of them showed any interest.  All the while I was edging closer towards the bar that was my original destination 50 metres away, as he tried to block my way.  Finally I pushed passed him and told him I would be waiting for him and the police with my friend in that bar.  He rode off into the night and didn't come back, neither did the police arrive.

I was lucky.  I could have ended up paralysed and/or beaten to a pulp and robbed.  Yes, please ban motor cycles from the pavements.    

50 minutes ago, Saladin said:

There has been no attempt whatsoever to reclaim the sidewalks in ChiangMai. In Nimmanhaemin, where there are condos and hotels going up in practically every Soi and old shops are rapidly being redeveloped as McDonalds, up-market boutiques, and modern coffee shops, the sidewalks are not navigable and are in a poor state of repair. It seems that while private enterprise here is on the ball the government authorities are quite incompetent, which surely can't be due to a lack of funds given the rates and taxes that the many new developments must be bringing in. At the very least the bureaucratic bosses deserve a good kick up the ass, if not dismissal.

The footpaths/sidewalks in Chiang Mai are a flaming disgrace.   Whoever passes for mayor of this city should get out one evening, and walk around the streets.   The paths are full of broken bricks, tiles, step downs for the driveways, and the drives are often full of mud after some rain as they are rarely cleaned out.

I know of a number of folk who have stumbled and fallen on the paths, including myself;  I landed on my face and wrecked an expensive pair of glasses.  

Cars and motorbikes often park across the paths.   I'd love to see wheel clamps and chains put to good use.   

Pretty soon Thailand will become like any other non-nondescript city around the globe.  The street vendors were a part of Thai culture that made Thailand a unique experience.  This march toward increased regulation and "cleaning up the streets" simply makes Thailand like any other overly developed country.  I believe that they take these regulatory measures at the risk of affecting tourism.  I sort of envision a day when Myanmar becomes the 'new Thailand'.  If they ever get their act together in that country they'll pull significant numbers of tourists away from Thailand for tourists looking for quaint, cultural enriching experiences that were available here in Thailand but have changed drastically over the last couple of decades.  Thailand!  The new Singapore!  Well, how boring is that?

And for the proponents of ridding motorcycles and cars from parking on the sidewalks in places like Bangkok and Chiang Mai, the questions ends up being:  Where are you going to put them considering there is a completely lack of parking?  Unfortunately Thais are not the most astute society when it comes to projecting out into the future and engaging in urban planning.  This should be interesting.  :smile:
Oh, and then when they get rid of the vendors and vehicles on the sidewalk, perhaps they will work on the signs, telephone booths, trees, shrubs, and utility poles that they have planted dead-center on the sidewalks, all of which still force pedestrians into the street. Lol  Maybe that asking too much too soon.  :laugh:

Edited by connda

The work they have done where I live on lower Sukhumvit is outstanding. Of course they need to warn with a fine. 5k is huge for a taxi guy.. Slowly but surely they will fall into line. If the army succeed in ridding the foot paths of stalls then stopping the bikes is a no Brainer

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Pretty soon Thailand will become like any other non-nondescript city around the globe.  The street vendors were a part of Thai culture that made Thailand a unique experience.  This march toward increased regulation and "cleaning up the streets" simply makes Thailand like any other overly developed country.  I believe that they take these regulatory measures at the risk of affecting tourism.  I sort of envision a day when Myanmar becomes the 'new Thailand'.  If they ever get their act together in that country they'll pull significant numbers of tourists away from Thailand for tourists looking for quaint, cultural enriching experiences that were available here in Thailand but have changed drastically over the last couple of decades.  Thailand!  The new Singapore!  Well, how boring is that?

I don't really care. I live and work here pay my taxes and my children have to use the footpaths that are incredibly dangerous with motorcycles riding on them at speed. As a taxpayer I say good riddance. Do you really think tourists will stop coming because vendors might have to actually leave space on the footpaths to walk on (and not force pedestrians on the road) or because motorcycles can't ride on footpaths? Laws need to be enforced. The road toll is horrendous here precisely because these minor laws are not enforced.

OB

18 minutes ago, Oceanbat said:

I don't really care. I live and work here pay my taxes and my children have to use the footpaths that are incredibly dangerous with motorcycles riding on them at speed. As a taxpayer I say good riddance. Do you really think tourists will stop coming because vendors might have to actually leave space on the footpaths to walk on (and not force pedestrians on the road) or because motorcycles can't ride on footpaths? Laws need to be enforced. The road toll is horrendous here precisely because these minor laws are not enforced.

OB

Lol OB.  Yeah, the statists who love big government and nanny-state regulations will finally get their wish.  But this is the inevitable march of progress.  God only knows that Thailand needs to get serious about regulating their roads, but commercial over-regulation eventually leads to a hamstrung free-market.  But it is what it is.  Many farang will feel much more comfortable as the state imposes more regulations and sanctions; guys like me will faded into rural Thailand where the incessant creep of government over-reach is much less obvious.  And by the time Thailand becomes an over-regulated, burgeoning, bureaucratic state like it's Western counterparts, dinosaurs like me will be long gone.  So what the heck?  Take a deep breath...relax!  It's all good my man, it's all good!    The only constant in the world is change!  :smile:

Edited by connda

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I agree with motorcycles not using footpaths.....but now they'll ride against the traffic on the wrong side...:sleep:

Lol -- The Yank and Chinese tourist ride on the wrong side too!  :laugh:

The signs are up where I live but the motorcycle riders don't pay any attention to them. There's even a police booth on the pavement which they wiz past all day long. Never seen any police come out and ticket them. It won't happen overnight because of the attitudes, but I think it could get better slowly but surely. 

On a side note, I feel bad for all the people who lost their trade from selling food, etc, on the pavements, but it's much better now. Pavements were designed and built for people to walk on. Even in Thailand. 

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

"but now they'll ride against the traffic on the wrong side". Well at least the pedestrians will be safe, and the morons who ride against the traffic will be risking injury or death themselves, but unfortunately, so will the ones who ride on the proper side of the road because of these morons. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

Lol OB.  Yeah, the statists who love big government and nanny-state regulations will finally get their wish.  But this is the inevitable march of progress.  God only knows that Thailand needs to get serious about regulating their roads, but commercial over-regulation eventually leads to a hamstrung free-market.  But it is what it is.  Many farang will feel much more comfortable as the state imposes more regulations and sanctions; guys like me will faded into rural Thailand where the incessant creep of government over-reach is much less obvious.  And by the time Thailand becomes an over-regulated, burgeoning, bureaucratic state like it's Western counterparts, dinosaurs like me will be long gone.  So what the heck?  Take a deep breath...relax!  It's all good my man, it's all good!    The only constant in the world is change!  :smile:

I get you. I'm not a statist but I do particularly like being alive and have grown fond of my children. Progress is inevitable, isn't it?

OB

9 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

In some places, the BKK authorities have installed pole barriers to prevent motorbikes from entering the sidewalks.

Our town tried that. Rogue motorbikers tore them out overnight.

Good luck with that one.

Maybe step one is to first convince the BIB to get their own damn motorbikes off the sidewalks, and then enforce the law.

Hope springs eternal.

and what about wheelchairs , any consideration given ?

14 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Putting up signs? It's about enforcement, Stupid.

I'm afraid that editorial title is a bit premature.

That's what the article says, even if the headline is dubious in its accuracy. It'll be interesting to see if they post them in Thonglor, then follow through. Especially outside of 72 Courtyard where the parked motorcycles are a blasted nuisance.