Cancellations of channels comply with rules, says TrueVisions

webfact

Cancellations of channels comply with rules, says TrueVisions
By WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- TRUEVISIONS YESTERDAY insisted that its customers had been informed in advance about its plan to stop broadcasting Discovery Science, National Geographic and nine other channels, and it thus had complied with broadcasting regulations.

The country’s largest subscription-based TV broadcaster issued a statement on the matter after a member of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) revealed that TrueVisions was seeking approval for the cancellation of 11 channels. 

The other nine channels on the chopping block are: BBC Entertainment, Cbeebies, Discovery Kids, M, DMAX, EVE, Block A, Fashion1 and MUTV. The details on when the cancellations will become effective have not been disclosed yet.

In its statement, the company reasoned that the operators of those international channels wanted to discontinue their services in Thailand and other markets in Southeast Asia. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30305495

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-02

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHEN did they inform me? I still have not received my monthly bill and I refuse to pay unless I have a paper copy! true visions is a disgusting company that know they have the english speaking community by the short hairs! they can and have done everything they wanted to do, including the canceling of hbo etc: AND it seems that the Thai government will not do anything to protect the foreign subscribers! a lot of their programs are duplicated on their channel list and it seems that as long as they do not touch the cartoon channels they think they can walk all over their subscribers! if it were at all possible I would sue those losers!

True's cancellation of channels might or might not be within the rules, all I know is my cancellation of True's service after 23 years is MY rule. It's been a long arduous journey which has now come to an end. Good riddance True, good luck in your next life!

With the Apple TV (or other similar devices) you can access a lot of the content that's available on True now. Many, such as Netflix, UFC Fight, Card and NFL Game Pass, require subscriptions. Many, such as news, Disney, History, Weather Channel (some people are into it) and Smithsonian Channel are free.  It's the way things are heading and more and more people are 'cutting to cord' already. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In its statement, the company reasoned that the operators of those international channels wanted to discontinue their services in Thailand and other markets in Southeast Asia. 

This also sounds like a blatant lie. TV companies make money by selling their product to international markets such as TRUE. Why would they wish to pull out?

Let's see if they continue in Malaysia and Singapore.

I was a Truevisions subscriber for 10+ years, even continuing during the 3 bleak years when they lost the football to CTH. I cancelled in January and now have Pulse TV. Had they not dumped the recent channels I probably would have stayed with them out of sheer laziness and slight technophobia!

9 minutes ago, madmitch said:

This also sounds like a blatant lie. TV companies make money by selling their product to international markets such as TRUE. Why would they wish to pull out?

You can determine for yourself. Go to the website for Discovery Science (one of the channels taken off Truevisions supposedly because it had stopped serving Asia) and you will see a continuing schedule of daily programming for Asia.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Yeah, right. 

That is just about the dumbest lie they could have come out with. 

Edited by Bluespunk

I've stopped using TRUE for a long time. There are various other ways to watch what I want to watch, the internet being one of those 'channels'. The only thing I may miss is live coverage of F1 races - I still haven't figured out who, what or where to watch. Then again, given the state of affairs in F1, I may not miss it that much. Still, the temporary solution is to head to the sports bar on Suk-11 on a race day. Only costs a few beers.

12 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I know someone in Astro Management (Malaysia Sat provider). It is a blatant lie, there is not any intention for the content provider of Discovery, Nat Geo and the others to pull from SEA market... But of course, maybe "the company" thinks SEA is Thailand, Thailand is SEA, and they are special.

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Obviously an attempt by True to get away from TV supply and concentrate on their mobile business.....

True are a true example of Thai business ethics!

Yes, certainly looks like it! I've never had a subscription to their TV but looking at what channels they just booted i'd say they'd been of essence to must of us, no? Yes, so  'boot' them too ...

I do have a true mobile sim-card though, service is okay in terms of quality & reliability, worked well with the (3G) usb-modem either but i've to say their 'permanent' advertising SMS's do suck majorly ... do not have this annoying problem with DTAC/happy. 

Can guess this is about money ..True deciding not to no longer pay for these channels so inform customers no longer available ..

All Thailand military gov is interested in now is how many tourist they can pack in with hard currency in exchange for a seriously overvalued bt..And for Thais and the people living here the attitude is 'What's the problem !!??'

21 minutes ago, Usernames said:

You can determine for yourself. Go to the website for Discovery Science (one of the channels taken off Truevisions supposedly because it had stopped serving Asia) and you will see a continuing schedule of daily programming for Asia.

They never said they "had stopped serving Asia".

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Thailand is one of several Asian markets. They are still serving markets where there is more interest from the indigenous population thus better profit margins.

Regardless, I always thought TRUE was rubbish so best to let them go and instead of whining, search for the alternatives.

27 minutes ago, outsider said:

I've stopped using TRUE for a long time. There are various other ways to watch what I want to watch, the internet being one of those 'channels'. The only thing I may miss is live coverage of F1 races - I still haven't figured out who, what or where to watch. Then again, given the state of affairs in F1, I may not miss it that much. Still, the temporary solution is to head to the sports bar on Suk-11 on a race day. Only costs a few beers.

http://www.totalsportek.com/formula-1-live-stream/

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They never said they "had stopped serving Asia".

Thailand is one of several Asian markets. They are still serving markets where there is more interest from the indigenous population thus better profit margins.

Regardless, I always thought TRUE was rubbish so best to let them go and instead of whining, search for the alternatives.

Somehow you have quoted a quote I didn't quote under my user name and failed to quote the quote I quoted or my post...

4 hours ago, webfact said:

I maintain this statement is a lie.

Edited by Bluespunk

35 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

Indeed they suck but cancelling in my situation doesn't make sense because seperate internet subscription is exactly the same price as a package with both internet and True vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Uups, wasn't aware of that fact!

Also i forgot to mention: True's customer care - as far as mobile phone use is concerned - worked quite well for me. Repeatedly emailed them to extend validity whilst abroad without problems ... 

The truth is true are being dumped and I can bet my last baht on it that's because they haven't been paying their bills.why would true want to dump any of these channels.its the saving face crap again.thai bs again and anyone with an ounce of brain can see it.they are going down the pan big time.im gutted I've just paid 3 months in advance but only for the basic package + Internet.i hope they last until April.then its time to find a new provider.

Edited by The man from udon
Added comment

"In its statement, the company reasoned that the operators of those international channels wanted to discontinue their services in Thailand and other markets in Southeast Asia.  "

Load of crap with this statement I have a friend who works Nat Geo and they informed me the reason that they did not renew the channels is because of a contractual dispute over money So of course they canceled  the contract

True does not want to pay 

True are simply not telling you the truth 

True will still be there but  not what it once was Just a has been  I left them  6 months ago and now have apple tv What a pleasure