Trump says his travel ban needed to ensure U.S. religious freedom

webfact

By Jeff Mason and Roberta Rampton

REUTERS

r4.jpg

Speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C., U.S. President Donald Trump says "don't worry" about the tough phone calls he's having, adding it's time for the U.S. to be "tough." Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump defended his order to temporarily bar entry to people from seven majority-Muslim nations, which has come under intense criticism at home and abroad, saying on Thursday it was crucial to ensuring religious freedom and tolerance in America.

Trump, speaking at a prayer breakfast attended by politicians, faith leaders and guests including Jordan's King Abdullah, said he wanted to prevent a "beachhead of intolerance" from spreading in the United States.

"The world is in trouble, but we're going to straighten it out, OK? That's what I do - I fix things," Trump said in his speech.

Trump's executive order a week ago put a 120-day halt on the U.S. refugee program, barred Syrian refugees indefinitely and imposed a 90-day suspension on people from seven predominantly Muslim countries - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. The measure, which Trump says is aimed at protecting the country from terrorist attacks, has drawn protests and legal challenges.

Trump, a wealthy businessman and former reality TV star who had never previously held public office when he was sworn in on Jan. 20, also sought to reassure the large crowd about the nature of his phone calls with world leaders.

The Washington Post said Trump had a tense call with Australia's Prime Minister about his immigration order.

"Believe me, when you hear about the tough phone calls I'm having - don't worry about it. Just don't worry about it," Trump said. He did not specify which calls he was referring to.

"We're taken advantage of by every nation in the world virtually. It's not going to happen anymore," said Trump, who campaigned on a stance of "America first" that he said would ensure the country was not taken advantage of in its trade or other foreign relations.

Trump said violence against religious minorities must end. "All nations have a moral obligation to speak out against such violence. All nations have a duty to work together to confront it, and to confront it viciously, if we have to," he said.

Trump said the United States has taken "necessary action" in recent days to protect religious liberty in the United States, referring to his immigration action.

Critics of the measure have accused him of violating the constitutional guarantee of religious freedom, because the designated countries are majority-Muslim, and of slamming the door shut to refugees.

Trump has said the move was necessary to ensure a more thorough vetting of people coming into the United States.

"Our nation has the most generous immigration system in the world. There are those who would exploit that generosity to undermine the values that we hold so dear," Trump said.

"There are those who would seek to enter our country for the purpose of spreading violence, or oppressing other people based upon their faith or their lifestyle - not right. We will not allow a beachhead of intolerance to spread in our nation," he said.

Trump said his administration's new system would ensure that people entering the United States embrace U.S. values including religious liberty.

He also pledged to get rid of the "Johnson Amendment," a tax provision that prevents tax-exempt charities like churches from being involved in political campaigns.

The White House said on Wednesday it has issued updated guidance on the travel order clarifying that legal permanent residents, or green card holders, from the designated countries require no waiver to enter the United States.

(Writing by Roberta Rampton; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-03

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He also pledged to get rid of the "Johnson Amendment," a tax provision that prevents tax-exempt charities like churches from being involved in political campaigns

Does this proposal  underline the current seemingly erosion of separation of religion and State in the US?

54 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

He's definitely lost the plot.  If he ever had it in the first place.

Well, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, and the means justifies the end,

and Trump is now, the cruelest of them all.....

This will upset a few people:blink:

Executive Order Draft Would Expand Religious Protections, Could Allow Denial of Services to Gays

https://www.wsj.com/articles/draft-of-executive-order-proposes-expanding-legal-protections-on-religious-grounds-1486071114

So would that allow a person of one religion to persecute people of a different religion?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 minutes ago, midas said:

This will upset a few people:blink:

Executive Order Draft Would Expand Religious Protections, Could Allow Denial of Services to Gays

https://www.wsj.com/articles/draft-of-executive-order-proposes-expanding-legal-protections-on-religious-grounds-1486071114

From the headline:

The draft hasn't been signed and may never make it to President Trump’s desk

Not worth discussing now...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

That's what I do - I fix things," Trump said in his speech.

That's rich. I can think of some investors in about a dozen failed Trump businesses who would argue that point. I can think of some banks who funded a number of his "brilliant" ideas only to have him walk away after skimming off the cream and then declaring bankruptcy who might see that differently.

This buffoon is NOT a successful businessman. Other than making money in NYC real estate (which any blind chimpanzee given $200 million and told to invest in NYC real estate could do), he has yet to start a business that has succeeded. Even his golf courses are losing money (according to a recent investigation by Reuters). And, no, "The Apprentice" doesn't count...not his idea, not his money, not his management. The tiny-handed blowhard is successful at one thing, and one thing only...convincing people to believe in him. But then, that's what con men do.

This ban is likely unconstitutional (violates the First Amendment by targeting people of one religion, regardless what rhetoric he might use. He has specifically said that Christians from those same nations would be given deferential treatment, which is a clear violation of religious neutrality. http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/trump-christian-refugees/ ). It was engineered by Bannon in the absence of any consultation with Congress, with the Department of Justice, or with Trump's own legal advisors. This was the brainchild of Stephen Bannon and oozed out of his racist cranium. It was Bannon who overruled White House staffers who tried to convince Trump not to include green card holders. And rather than make America safer, it has painted an even bigger target on the US as it is being used by terrorists as a huge recruiting tool. There's nothing that this inept, intellectually challenged, over-compensating narcissist has done in his first two weeks that has in any way made America great. He has, however, managed to accomplish one thing...he crossed the tipping point from majority approval to majority disapproval of his Presidency in record time. It took Obama 936 days to reach that point, George W. Bush 1205 days. Trump accomplished the feat in less than two weeks. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/30/president-donald-trump-smashes-record-get-fastest-majority-disapproval/).

"Our nation has the most generous immigration system in the world." Flat out full on lie.

" He also pledged to get rid of the "Johnson Amendment," a tax provision that prevents tax-exempt charities like churches from being involved in political campaigns. "

Religious orgs can do all the political campaigning they want already IF they give up the tax subsidies they enjoy now. Oh, so it's about the money, not the religion, eh? I imagine he hates the Imans in Iran with their mix of political propaganda and religion, but has no problem with Christian Imans doing the same.....

49 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

That's rich. I can think of some investors in about a dozen failed Trump businesses who would argue that point. I can think of some banks who funded a number of his "brilliant" ideas only to have him walk away after skimming off the cream and then declaring bankruptcy who might see that differently.

This buffoon is NOT a successful businessman. Other than making money in NYC real estate (which any blind chimpanzee given $200 million and told to invest in NYC real estate could do), he has yet to start a business that has succeeded. Even his golf courses are losing money (according to a recent investigation by Reuters). And, no, "The Apprentice" doesn't count...not his idea, not his money, not his management. The tiny-handed blowhard is successful at one thing, and one thing only...convincing people to believe in him. But then, that's what con men do.

This ban is likely unconstitutional (violates the First Amendment by targeting people of one religion, regardless what rhetoric he might use. He has specifically said that Christians from those same nations would be given deferential treatment, which is a clear violation of religious neutrality. http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/trump-christian-refugees/ ). It was engineered by Bannon in the absence of any consultation with Congress, with the Department of Justice, or with Trump's own legal advisors. This was the brainchild of Stephen Bannon and oozed out of his racist cranium. It was Bannon who overruled White House staffers who tried to convince Trump not to include green card holders. And rather than make America safer, it has painted an even bigger target on the US as it is being used by terrorists as a huge recruiting tool. There's nothing that this inept, intellectually challenged, over-compensating narcissist has done in his first two weeks that has in any way made America great. He has, however, managed to accomplish one thing...he crossed the tipping point from majority approval to majority disapproval of his Presidency in record time. It took Obama 936 days to reach that point, George W. Bush 1205 days. Trump accomplished the feat in less than two weeks. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/30/president-donald-trump-smashes-record-get-fastest-majority-disapproval/).

Spot on Mr. Traveler. How much longer be4 he really throws his toys out of the pram and gets us all into WWIII?

Trump should be the new translation of ควาย!

Religious freedom means that you have the freedom to follow the religion of your own choice (or no religion if that's what you want) and not criminalizing those who are not following your belief just like happened in Europe in the 1930...

"Every nation in the world has taken advantage of US", it's rather US and US companies that has taken advantage of the rest of the world! :
Iraq; US bombed the shit out of them to steal the oil and they did it all with UN support because US used lies and false pretenses to dupe the world about Saddam having WMD. 

India: US tech companies heavily relies on workers from India (and other countries) because frankly the grade of US students is going the same way as Thai students... DOWN!
SEA: US (and EU) companies have for decades moved their production here to exploit the common man with the low wages.
China: American tech companies has been investing heavily because workers are payed peanuts and rare earth minerals needed for the newest technology are found here and so on.
Vietnam: today (over 40 years after it ended) people in Vietnam are still affected by the chemicals US used during the war... a war that US didn't even needed to be a part of!

So maybe we need to build these walls... so we can keep the rest of the world safe from US!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Keep talking Trump!

Every day he focuses on the Muslim travel ban is more incriminating evidence for the law suits against Trump for religious discrimination. In court application of evidence is often subjected to interpretation - what was the INTENDED meaning or intent.

I can see th logic.  If they never get here in the first place then we don't have to go through the charade of being tolerant.  The things he is doing ... so needful and others just flat out deserve tend to help the rich are more tolerable than the lies he spins to justify his actions to the public.  I am more and more convinced that this man really is a threat to freedoms on the constitution.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump, a wealthy businessman and former reality TV star who had never previously held public office when he was sworn in on Jan. 20, also sought to reassure the large crowd about the nature of his phone calls with world leaders.

Only this phrase.. to introduce the so called "most powerful man in the world" '( ever!)

Edited by Opl

"Rudy Giuliani  has said President Donald Trump wanted a “Muslim ban” and instructed him to put together a commission to show him “the right way to do it legally”. Trump denies travel ban is a ‘Muslim ban’, instead claiming ‘this is about terror and keeping our country safe"

Edited by Opl

Has anyone else noticed that Congress slipping through HR427 and the roll back of Dodd Frank are not getting any space on the front pages?

You'd almost think it was organised....

Edited by Chicog

16 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

And where are you from?  Avoid the bible belt and it's not an issue.  Even there, no biggie.

I am not so sure about that. I live in California - Santa Barbara - and am shocked at being surrounded by wall to wall Christians.

After decades of living in Thailand, I thought that kind of thinking has faded away, but it hasn't. I am a lapsed Catholic at most, so not totally supportive, but believe in freedom of religion never the less. Trump seems to be all for it too.

The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices.  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.  It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government.   

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment

7 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I am not so sure about that. I live in California - Santa Barbara - and am shocked at being surrounded by wall to wall Christians.

After decades of living in Thailand, I thought that kind of thinking has faded away, but it hasn't. I am a lapsed Catholic at most, so not totally supportive, but believe in freedom of religion never the less. Trump seems to be all for it too.

Every country I've been in, I've been surrounded by wall to wall....you name the religion.  Rarely did it matter (though a few times it did!).  I spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara.  Definitely not high on the list of places that are extremely religious.  What a beautiful town...but expensive!

I'm an atheist.  But believe in freedom of religion as long as it doesn't have a huge impact on me.  I don't think I could live in the bible belt in the US, nor in an extremely religious Muslim country like Saudi Arabia, etc.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

Every country I've been in, I've been surrounded by wall to wall....you name the religion.  Rarely did it matter (though a few times it did!).  I spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara.  Definitely not high on the list of places that are extremely religious.  What a beautiful town...but expensive!

I'm an atheist.  But believe in freedom of religion as long as it doesn't have a huge impact on me.  I don't think I could live in the bible belt in the US, nor in an extremely religious Muslim country like Saudi Arabia, etc.

I think that I would not have noticed it when I lived in America before, but I sure notice it now. It actually freaks me out because I have to watch what I say about my own beliefs. People get offended.