Walking and dogs.

emilymat

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is indeed a law that makes harming  animals a crime. And an owner, depending on their connections, could certainly make trouble for you.

In any case there is hardly any need to kill or maim a dog. Most will flee at even the threat of being hit and if not, a good whack with say a bamboo stick will definitely do the trick.

The treats suggestion is good too, if applicable (i.e., same dogs encountered often).

There are some seriously nasty soi dogs on the route from my house to the main road -- ones that definitely do bite -- and to make matters worse, my own dog has thoroughly antagonized them by barking at them from the safety of the car, and they know I'm associated with him, so if I dare to walk or bicycle by, it is pay-back time in their minds. Nonetheless, a simple bamboo stick works fine, or at least has so far, knock on wood. I haven't even had to actually strike them, just wave menancingly.

The other key things with dogs is that they respond to your emotion, they can literally smell human emotions. Fear or apprehension will lead them to attack whereas anger will lead them to retreat. So try to summon up righteous anger when you see them.

On 2017/2/5 at 7:39 PM, emilymat said:

Firstly, thank you for those replies, they have been quite helpful. To answer the specific question the putter has the 'spikes' as part of the manufacture. I would add that I carry it upside down like a walking stick and don't wave it around or anything.

I know I shouldn't but my first reaction when such dogs come racing across the road snarling and barking, is to shout at them to "p.ss off". I now realise this  might not be the best thing to do, but it is a natural reaction I get from not simply being able to have a quiet walk. (I would add I always walk on the opposite side when I know there are dogs on a private property).

I'll take the backpack suggestion and others on board and try to smile at the dogs instead of shouting!. I guess here are so few 'pedestrians' in this land of motorbikes, the dogs consider us a threat of some sort to the property.

Thanks again

002.JPG

WOW!!!   only silly dogs will attack you. I don't know the law in Thailand. However I guess when they sue you in court they will say you have every intention to injure their dog badly, showing the photo of this weapon as proof and the report of the veterinarian, the extent of the injury inflicted on the dogs.

A long wooden stick would be good enough defence, you don't need this vicious looking weapon.

The dogs don't like you.Throw them small tit bits for a few weeks.Should be no probs after that.Recently i have been patting a couple of local dogs.Now they come and sleep and hang at my place.When i walk my 2 the other 2 come along.Now it's haa tua.All they need is a bit of love.

Edited by louse1953

It sounds like the dogs are defending their territory  What I would do is take some Dog treats  with you  and when the dog postures throw some Treats  at them

This will not work the first time but over the course of  3 or  4 times the dogs will recognise that you have food and are not a threat

This is called positive reinforcement My friend in the USA is a dog trainer and says  if you are consistent with it over a week or so they will start to understand 

Even over time they man really like you because you have treats  

1 hour ago, thairookie said:

That is the intention of the dogs when they behave in a hostile manner to you even when you have not stepped into their turf.  The intimidation is designed to cow you into offering them food, and when they know this method works it will embolden them to raise the intensity of their aggression to extort more food.  The dog who mastered this art to perfection would finally be adopted by a kind farang.

This is a method practised by men and women in office too.  There is always a hidden agenda for unsolicited hostility through no fault of yours.

What rubbish.They are protecting their territory.This has not happened in my case.Tales wagging  have replaced bared fangs.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:08 PM, emilymat said:

My question is that  I have been lucky to now  and stared them out (if you like) while holding my stick, but, if one of these goes for me I could easily kill it with my putter head or maim it badly. (This assmues of course it doesn't get me first!)  What would be my position in 'law' here  in Patts.

I've heard that the fine for killing a soi dog is 20,000 baht...:whistling:

There is another Thai Visa Forum thread about killing a soi dog here: "I killed a soi dog - now I'm being blackmailed"

There is a news story here from November 2014 about fines etc. – it actually says »...Anyone found guilty of breaking the law could face up to two years in prison and/or a 40,000 baht fine...«:shock1: – "Thailand Government Passes First Animal Abuse Law".

It's only 1000 baht fine if a thai kills a falang but 20000 if he kills a dog. If the dog bites you, no recourse the owner will deny ownership. If you hurt the dog the owner will demand compensation. F@*cked up country!

43 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

It sounds like the dogs are defending their territory  What I would do is take some Dog treats  with you  and when the dog postures throw some Treats  at them

This will not work the first time but over the course of  3 or  4 times the dogs will recognise that you have food and are not a threat

This is called positive reinforcement My friend in the USA is a dog trainer and says  if you are consistent with it over a week or so they will start to understand 

Even over time they man really like you because you have treats  

round them up

On 06/02/2017 at 9:17 AM, gmac said:

I carry a  small LED torch with a strobe setting, that seems quite effective at keeping aggressive dogs away. 

Thank you...:smile: I will not forget it, at least I will try, first time I hear that.

if a dog attacks or threatens to attack, I would treat it the same way I would treat a human, hit it with the first decent thing you can get your hand on, and to hell with any laws, your safety always comes first.

Besides, there is not much law at all in Thailand, every official of any sort just make up their own.

So when soi dogs that are not under control on a lead and are aggressive to humans feed them treats??? Some of you are talking rubbish, so a child gets maimed etc or an old person attacked?? No one has said anything about responsibility of so called owners, who obviously do not give a hoot about anyone else - they should be brought to book and the dogs put under control period and if not destroyed, they are a menace. Is unacceptable that they are allowed to bother anyone going about their lawful business whether in Thailand or anywhere else. 

Crap about sensing fear etc, some dogs are just aggressive and need destroying unfortunately the fault of un-caring so called owners. Gets on my T i T$ bloody dogs all over crapping everywhere, barking and snarling and the idiots who feed then thinking they are do-gooders then defend the flea bitten mangy mutts. Very misplaced and part of the problem here. 

I usually just growl back at them, show my teeth and make a run at them......then they scarper like the wind. If that doesn't work I pick up the nearest rock and let them have it.

The worst thing you can do is show fear.....they smell it off you.

Edited by dotpoom

Certainly in my town, Hua Hin, you can report a problem of soi dogs to the Tessabahn and they will respond.  Usually rounding them up and 'making them disappear'.  If the dog(s) are owned, then a visit from the police to the owner is called for.  As for the Buddhist beliefs,  although illegal, the trade in dog meat in Thailand is huge.  You need to watch some of the videos on how some Thais treat the dogs before brutally killing them and selling them on!

As far as the law is concerned, an animal is the personal property of the owner.

Damaging his house or car is no different than damaging his dog.

I know, I sued a Thai for unnecessary harm to my dog.

Most dogs in Thailand are very timid and nervous. They bark and bear teeth as a warning not to approach them out of fear.

Stand your ground and do not intimidate or approach them. They soon move away.

If you travel a particular route each day and are concerned with one or two dogs, throwing treats to them and eventually they'll become your friend, but I'd avoid trying to get as close as to stroke them. That could spook a different reaction.

On 2/6/2017 at 5:34 AM, Rimmer said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere on here a while back that you can be liable if you kill or injure someones dog.

Had this problem in Singapore way back when they pulled down all the Kampongs and evicted the people who left their dogs behind, we found that a squeezy bottle (bicycle water bottle) with plain water in it would send them running off, maybe it will work for Thai dogs as well, worth a try.

I used a mixture of Ammonia and horse radish juice in a squirt bottle (windex), carried it in my backpack water bottle pocket and did like the above poster, backpack does'nt scare them and they approach me without their tails wagging right to left, couple shots of that in their face will make them think twice about you again.........they will remember - always remember once you pass them, you need to look back - not just your head, turn your whole body half way back, if they are approaching you from behind, they will come to a screeching comical halt................that fails, get your stick in front of you.   Good Luck

30 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I used a mixture of Ammonia and horse radish juice in a squirt bottle (windex), carried it in my backpack water bottle pocket and did like the above poster, backpack does'nt scare them and they approach me without their tails wagging right to left, couple shots of that in their face will make them think twice about you again.........they will remember - always remember once you pass them, you need to look back - not just your head, turn your whole body half way back, if they are approaching you from behind, they will come to a screeching comical halt................that fails, get your stick in front of you.   Good Luck

Besides the soi dogs, traffic, heat,putholes and pollution what is exactly the fun part of ur daily walks in comparison with going to a gym?

22 hours ago, Trentham said:

Try carrying a small water pistol filled with bleach or turpentine.  A squirt of that on their nose or bum teaches them not to come too close.

Another trick is to just bend over. They think you are picking up a stone to throw. I used that method many times on packs of dogs when jogging in the tobacco factory grounds near Benjakiti Park in Bangkok. It worked every time.

the fake stone is very effective, all the thai dogs here have attended the same school and know what is coming next when i thai bloke picks one up for real

Learn about pack behavior and dominance.  Are you fearful?  The dogs can read that and that is what puts you in danger. 
I routinely walk 5 to 10 km per day though our village.  Aggressive dogs coming off their property and on to the street after me are a fact of life, along with dogs who stay on their property and bark, and some who come off their property and have gotten to know me.  Some are single dogs, sometimes they run in packs.  The packs are the primary problem.  You have to assert yourself as the most dominate creature on the road.  Check out suggestions by Cesear Milan on how to handle yourself around dogs.  I've been attacked by a bitch with pups and another highly territorial dog in the last month.  I stopped both of them in their tracks with just my presences, demeanor, and will.  And I'm not afraid of them.  I'm the biggest, meanest, most dominant dog on that road and they all know it. 
You don't want to kill a dog here in the LOS.  You'll end up on the wrong side of your neighbors and the law.  Instead, figure out how to handle yourself around dogs. 

On 2/6/2017 at 3:31 PM, davidst01 said:

replace your weapon with dog treats. They will remember everyday and be your friend. Try it everyday for a week. Problem solved

If you reward a dog for it's aggressive behavior, you get aggressive behavior.  I carry treats, but they are for the dogs who I have worked with to calm.  They get treats for being calm.  Not aggressive. 

5 hours ago, connda said:

Learn about pack behavior and dominance.  Are you fearful?  The dogs can read that and that is what puts you in danger. 
I routinely walk 5 to 10 km per day though our village.  Aggressive dogs coming off their property and on to the street after me are a fact of life, along with dogs who stay on their property and bark, and some who come off their property and have gotten to know me.  Some are single dogs, sometimes they run in packs.  The packs are the primary problem.  You have to assert yourself as the most dominate creature on the road.  Check out suggestions by Cesear Milan on how to handle yourself around dogs.  I've been attacked by a bitch with pups and another highly territorial dog in the last month.  I stopped both of them in their tracks with just my presences, demeanor, and will.  And I'm not afraid of them.  I'm the biggest, meanest, most dominant dog on that road and they all know it. 
You don't want to kill a dog here in the LOS.  You'll end up on the wrong side of your neighbors and the law.  Instead, figure out how to handle yourself around dogs. 

Will that attitude work with Pitbulls?

All very interesting to me as I do a morning walk here in a provincial town. There is a gym some 20 to 30 minutes drive away. I like to walk. Right or wrong I carry a slingshot on my walk. I rarely have to actually use it - just assume the firing position and the dogs go the other way as if I had picked up a stone. The dogs that really mean to harm you frequently make no sound whatsoever. I was bitten last Thursday by just such a dog. I was completely unaware of her and she came up from behind and bit me just below the knee, causing a single puncture wound. It was hit and run as she immediately fled. I did manage to hit her with one shot though. The next day as I approached that area I saw her from a good distance cross the road, go up a small incline and under a car. I approached her quietly, squatted down and shot her. You can call it cruelty if you like. I call it training. She is not injured and I am. She does live there and on my subsequent walks she gets up and leaves when she sees me coming. Backing up a bit, on the day that I was bitten I took my Thai wife back there in an attempt to engage the owner. A neighbor woman who witnessed the attack claimed that the dog was left behind by people who had moved. The dog was actually at her house at that moment though. Finding the owner? Good luck with that. I think there are good suggestions on here. However for the sneak attack good luck to you. A couple of years ago my wife and I walked past 2 pit bulls. They were on the other side of the soi. The male was a muscled up monster on a big chain and he was in a froth as we passed by. As I watched him the female half his size circled around behind us and was fast approaching without making a sound. I caught the movement from the corner of my eye and whirled on her so that she retreated. I have 2 male dogs of my own and love them dearly. I am a responsible owner and they cannot cause anyone harm since they live inside my gated property unless I take them out and manage them.

Edited by captnhoy

The main problem is that dogs should NOT be allowed to roam free on the streets. They should not "own" a territory that is not theirs, but a public space.

The only way I see around is a government action:

1- A public service to collect stray dogs upon request - you want a dog out of that Soi you call them. What happens next, then it's another issue, but I'm assuming a large shelter and all the dogs in there get sprayed and vaccinated - yes it would be expensive. They would remain there for adoption.

2- If the captured dog belong to someone, this person should personally come to reclaim the dog and have the first warning to NOT allow it to stay on public roads.

3- If a reclaimed dog is captured again, a fine has to be paid by the owner. If the fine is not paid, the dog is not released. The fine doubles each time this happens.

4- If a rabid dog is captured, it will be put down in a painless way.

5- If a reclaimed dog bites someone, the owner (who paid the dog's bail) is responsible for all medical costs of the victim and is also heavily fined.

But I know this makes too much sense to actually happen, I'm just wasting my time writing here.

On 2/8/2017 at 4:17 PM, giddyup said:

Will that attitude work with Pitbulls?

It will work with Bullmastiff, Pittbulls, German Shepards.  Unless a dog has been poorly trained to be aggressive toward humans you can more than likely control them. And even the one's that are aggressive nutjobs - Show fear and you're definitely screwed.  Dogs in our village?  I ain't worried about.  Nobody I know in the village has a purebred that they've trained.  These are all Heinz 57 Thai-dogs that get no training at all.  What they know is pack behavior. 

11 hours ago, FarangFB said:

The main problem is that dogs should NOT be allowed to roam free on the streets. They should not "own" a territory that is not theirs, but a public space.

The only way I see around is a government action:

1- A public service to collect stray dogs upon request - you want a dog out of that Soi you call them. What happens next, then it's another issue, but I'm assuming a large shelter and all the dogs in there get sprayed and vaccinated - yes it would be expensive. They would remain there for adoption.

2- If the captured dog belong to someone, this person should personally come to reclaim the dog and have the first warning to NOT allow it to stay on public roads.

3- If a reclaimed dog is captured again, a fine has to be paid by the owner. If the fine is not paid, the dog is not released. The fine doubles each time this happens.

4- If a rabid dog is captured, it will be put down in a painless way.

5- If a reclaimed dog bites someone, the owner (who paid the dog's bail) is responsible for all medical costs of the victim and is also heavily fined.

But I know this makes too much sense to actually happen, I'm just wasting my time writing here.

Great suggestions for a developed country.  Thailand is a developing country.  TIT.  It just doesn't work that way no matter how much you want it to.  Anyway, I left the developed world to get away from that kind of over-regulation and litigation.  That's the real trade-off. You take the good with the bad.  I prefer under-regulation to over-regulation.  Then you just deal with the way thing are. 

Edited by connda