AIS to show HBO channels

snoop1130

AIS to show HBO channels

f88dc588d64c7a6473da6f558e56ab3f.jpeg

AIS on Monday announced its partnership with HBO to offer entertainment content to AIS customers via both mobile and fixed broadband network.

All HBO content, six premium movie channels -  HBO HD, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Hits, Cinemax, and Red by HBO, will be served for AIS customers, both mobile and fixed broadband, as IPTV channels and on-demand services.

AIS customers soon will be able to experience HBO Go, which they can experience on-demand content. Apart from HBO, AIS also partners with FOX network and NBA. 

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/30305791

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-2-6

5 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Hi, with a Smart TV, you can easily watch it on the set.

Thanks, our TV's are all LG, all slim, all bought about 4 years ago.

From my very limited knowledge 'Smart TV' is much more recent technology.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Just now, scorecard said:

Thanks, our TV's are all LG, all slim, all bought about 4 years ago.

From my very limited knowledge 'Smart TV' is much more recent technology.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Yep that should be fine.  You can connect to the internet with them, right?  I'm sure you can.  If so you should be good to go.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

if its got a lan socket then its a "smart tv", 4 years old unless they where very high end expensive then probably not "smart" and probably no digital tuner either.

My 50" LG 3D smart tv's were bought in 2011 for 25.000 Baht.

It will surely be shown on the AIS IPTV that now comes with AIS Fibre internet (which I have).  

The IPTV is provided via an Android box that AIS calls their Playbox.  You connect the Playbox to your TV via an HDMI cable.   When you turn on the Playbox it boots up to a screen when you can select different things like the TV channels, or specific "packages" like the HOOQ package which is around 10,000 movie and TV episodes consisting of a half dozen or so languages (i.e., English, Thai, etc).   HOOQ cost Bt129/month but the first 12 months is free on AIS Fibre package.  The picture quality is outsanding....no buffereing...very easy to use.     

I expect the HBO channels will be a package you add-on just like the HOOQ package and several other packages they already have which cost X-amount per month.  

See below AIS link for more info.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_home.html

Edit: combine the new AIS capability with me recently getting smart on using Kodi and selected Kodi video package add-ons to watch new and old movies & TV shows "for free" on my TV or computer and I'm good to go with movies replacement for what TrueVisions has recently dropped.....in fact, I have much more movie capability.   TrueVisions you did me a favor--thanks.

Edited by Pib

37 minutes ago, johng said:

if its got a lan socket then its a "smart tv", 4 years old unless they where very high end expensive then probably not "smart" and probably no digital tuner either.

Just noticed this report from 40 minutes ago:

Google Chromecast to launch in Thailand, AIS to start streaming HBO

It also mentions 1,490Baht. Would that be a month or an initial set-up cost to buy the equipment, etc., or...?

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just noticed this report from 40 minutes ago:

Google Chromecast to launch in Thailand, AIS to start streaming HBO

It also mentions 1,490Baht. Would that be a month or an initial set-up cost to buy the equipment, etc., or...?

Give us a link to what you mention above.   If AIS wants Bt1,490/month for HBO channels they "will not" be getting any of my business.

Give us the link of what you posted above.  I googled your entry above and came up with nothing.  And I don't see anything mentioned about Bt1,490 in the opening post article.

Edit: never mind...some more googling found the article...see below.  That price has something to do with Chromecast.  And as I mentioned in my earlier post the article says customers will be able to view the HBO channels on the AIS Playbox which comes with AIS Fibre internet plans.  The AIS Playbox is provided free by AIS with their internet plans....like how ISPs provide a free router....AIS provides a free router(s) and Playbox.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/google-chromecast-to-launch-in-thailand-ais-to-start-streaming-hbo/19736/

Edited by Pib

13 minutes ago, johng said:

well the quick search I did said the price in 2014 for that tv was 45,000 baht so yes I think you got a bargain.

Can't be the same tv as I bought 29/03/2012, just found the receipt.

Never seen a tv model be available more than 1 year

Had to figure this was going to come along sooner or later -- AIS tying up with HBO in the wake of the fallout with TrueVisions.

I'm probably not going to be a subscriber for that video either way... But have to say, anything that pokes a sharp stick into TrueVisions is a good day in my neighborhood.

I hope TrueVisions get poked with many more sharp sticks the way they have been dropping channels with no price reduction in their plans.  But hey, as I mentioned earlier I got a 50% reduction for 3 months (Jan thru Mar) which gives me time to determine whether I want to stay with TrueVisions, just downgrade to their Gold plan, etc.  With AIS now adding HBO movies to their internet plans, my getting smart with Kodi, etc., TrueVisions better thread lightly with me or they will lose me completely.  

Around 8 years ago True lost me as a TrueMove mobile plan customer due to terrible billing service.  TrueOnline lost me as an internet customer 7 months ago due to their slow international speeds and higher speed plans being too pricey (they have since corrected that overpricing with recent plan price reductions but too late to keep me).  And TrueVisions could be the next to lose me due to the channels they are dropping with no drop in plan prices.   True is not doing well with me....but I doubt they give a sh&t.   

The 1490b reference is the price that AIS is planning to sell the Thailand version of Chromecast dongles for.  But it's not clear to me how they're envisioning customers using the Chromecasts re their new HBO streaming content.

As Pib noted above, AIS fiber customers who have AIS's Android-based Playbox ought to simply be able to add the HBO and other apps to their set-top box, either from an AIS app store or perhaps from the Thailand version of the Google Play store, and then watch on their existing TVs.

I'm guessing the Chromecast dongles will more be a solution for AIS's mobile smartphone and tablet-only customers (as opposed to broadband fiber). That way, AIS smartphone customers will be able to run the HBO and similar AIS supported app content on their smartphones and tablets, and then use the Chromecast to play that same content to a Chromecast-connected regular TV.

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As Pib noted above, AIS fiber customers who have AIS's Android-based Playbox ought to simply be able to add the HBO and other apps to their set-top box, either from an AIS app store or perhaps from the Thailand version of the Google Play store, and then watch on their existing TVs.

Or in may be pushed to your AIS Playbox after signing up for HBO.....this pushed system upgrade will just add the HBO app/selection to your AIS IPTV menus.  

I've been with AIS Fibre for about 7 months now and there has been one AIS Playbox upgrade....where like with your Android smartphone you can check if there is any system upgrade...if so, it's download and installed.   However AIS does it, I'm sure it will be easy.

Edit: a reread of opening post/article says they will be using HBO Go.  See below Google Play for description of the HBO Go app.   However, but, the HBO Go version provided to work with AIS here in Thailand may have different programming than the U.S. version....will have to wait and see.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HBO&hl=en

Edited by Pib

12 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Great!  So glad that True lost it.  HBO Go would be great as well.  If it is  like the states, it's pretty much all their old and new content on demand.  That's a lot of content!

Great! looking forward to checking it out! anything but true Visions, just waiting for them to cancel the programs that they said they would, than I am going to cancel them after seventeen years! told the people who answered the phones, but  fell on deaf ears!

AIS already has a pretty cool Android and IOS app., AIS Play. Many of us used for the Olympics. It's actually pretty good, like TrueVisions Anywhere app. You need to be an AIS mobile (pre-paid or post-paid) to use it, or at least to receive an SMS to set it up. I was able to cast this onto my TV via Chromecast, from my phone.

A lot of the Thai coverage on this AIS announcement also mentioned they'd have the NBA.

No details on pricing and packaging - these will be revealed "in Q2" - but one assumes they will have tiered packages.

One could, in theory, access AIS streams over any broadband provider, although I'd expect they'll offer discounted packages/promotions to their broadband and mobile customers. I'd also guess there will be a Chromecast app. like they have for Hulu, Netflix etc. , for those customers who do not have a Playbox or Smart-ish TV.

https://www.beartai.com/news/it-thai-news/149008

https://www.blognone.com/node/89849

We should probably have a thread on this in the AV subforum?

Edited by mtls2005