Can scratches on my car be caused by car cleaning guys?

davidst01

3 days ago I paid 500 baht to get my car washed and waxed. There was a 3 day guarantee and I took it back for a re-do this afternoon. 

Back at home this evening Ive noticed 2 areas on the right side of my car with fine scratches. A week ago they were not there. I think it has to be the guys at the car wash place.

Ive never waxed my car before and usually only wash it and rinse off. If one of the guys at the car wash place didn't know what they were doing can they cause scratches by waxing (and or washing)? It seems unlikely but its bloody annoying for me to see these new scratches.

thanks

Some colors are a lot more susceptible to swirl marks, especially depending on the light/angles when looking at the car....A lot of buffer damage can happen quickly & it's not as easy as some make it look to get it perfect...

Odds are it had to do with the wash & wax....Even a wash rag or sponge with some grit on it can carve into the paint.....You've never had it done before so there was no protective wax layer/shell to help protect the bare paint.....

It's very possible. The cheaper wash and wax places are pretty rough and ready. Either used a grit filled wash cloth or fine scratches caused by the buffer.  Easy to do if buffer not used with care.  I wash my own car for this reason. 

28 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

It's very possible. The cheaper wash and wax places are pretty rough and ready. Either used a grit filled wash cloth or fine scratches caused by the buffer.  Easy to do if buffer not used with care.  I wash my own car for this reason. 

For the same reason I never was the car. The thick layer of sand and dirt protects the paint. I only spray the bottom and wheels after the car was on a salty beach. I can only imagine how nice the car still looks underneath all that built up grime :-)

OP why get your knickers in a twist over a few light scratches.

It could have happened anywhere, not just at the car care place.

A few days ago my wife came home with 2 small scratches on the pickup.

Where did it happen? at school, at bigC, at home? Who knows.

If you're really concerned about scratched on your car and want some peace of mind, I recommend getting your car ceramic coated. for even more peace of mind you can clear wrap your car...it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Scratches could have happened at the carwash place or anywhere else...

Toyota washed my car after a regular service a couple of years ago. When I got home I noticed many fine scratches on the bonnet (hood).

Pure carelessness really. I have since declined  their offers of a free carwash.

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Mine was scratched.....High ride Vigo, think the guy had a metal belt buckle, so 'reaching'  did stuff...:sad:

One of the girls at the car wash I go to has an arm full of jangly bracelets, I'm surprised the boss doesn't tell her to take them off.

Of course ... anyone washing or polishing a car car cause scratches and to various depths. Unless you know what you are doing don't just buy some scratch remover and give the scratches a rub. You really need an orbital polisher and a suitable compound.

However if in the last three years you have only ever washed the car and never put any protection onto the paintwork I'm a little surprised that there are not quite a few marks from bird poo, tree sap etc.

It wouldn't hurt to get it detailed. You would be amazed at the difference. And there are many choices for the finishing produce.... wax (various), paint sealants, polymers, glass etc etc

If you are around my way I can point you in the right direction ... if you are around JoeW's area go there.

ps ... don't use a sponge to wash it ... that will put scratches on the surface  

Edited by JAS21

19 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

ps ... don't use a sponge to wash it ... that will put scratches on the surface 

Sponges don't scratch unless they're retaining some grit.

Edited by gdgbb

My wife used a metal scouring pad on our car because she thought it would clean up the very small gloss paint speckles
that had got onto the car when the previous owner was painting something nearby !
The scratches "mostly" polished out lucky its an old car or I might have been rather upset.
(I was very upset but a good lot of swearing calmed me down)

Fine scratches will  mostly come out with scratch remover. Definitely, grit on a buffing pad can cause deep scratches that can't be removed easily - I polished the roof of my car and put scratches all though it - and that was by hand application. Eventually got it resprayed. 

We used to have this problem with car washers that use sponges and other materials that collect dust. There is a lot of dust in the atmosphere and on the ground right now and by right the washers should rinse your car first before trying to wash it. Otherwise rubbing it with the wrong kind of cloth or sponge along with the dust will act as an abrasive and cause small scratches in your paintwork

5 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Absolutely. Improper wash or drying materials or habits will both cause scratches. Most scratches and swirl marks in car paint are caused by wash and dry, not by normal use.

Sam

Absolutely correct ...

On 2/7/2017 at 9:03 PM, kartman said:

Well if the waxer dropped whatever they were using on the ground picking up grit etc then continued to use it after picking it up you get a scratched surface  .

Yeah, that's why the wife washes and waxes my bike and her car. Both get the best treatment, that way. Besides, light scratches can be removed rather easily with a good scratch repair kit or just a good rubbing compound.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:03 PM, kartman said:

Well if the waxer dropped whatever they were using on the ground picking up grit etc then continued to use it after picking it up you get a scratched surface  .

correct, you may be able to get the scratches out depending on how deep they are if you use a rubbing compound,or 1200 wet and dry paper and then compound the area. good luck,

??? A car is a thing I use . I keep it in good mechanical condition , engine , brakes etc , but I do not care about some hardly visible scratches ... it's getting older , so do we ...

If I want to resell it , I might have it overhauled before ...

More than once even at high end hand wash locations I have seen staff leaning up on cars with exposed belt buckles and zippers etc. That stuff should all be taped over. Drives me nuts when I see it. Also as others have mentioned, If a rag or sponge  hits the ground its done. 

I wash the car myself, I use a microfiber cloth after thoroughly rinsing the car down, not sure I would trust a carwash service. Though I would like to see a touchless carwash to do a undercarriage wash once in a while. I even clean the engine bay, and the inner door jambs and hinges, so I am meticulous, the car will look like new when I sell it before leaving to head back to the US in a few years.