REMINDER: Alcohol restrictions in place on Saturday [Video]

webfact

34 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

No booze...what a joke ...I can to the local laundry girl and all the beer I want.

It is not a joke to the owners and workers of the bars who have no earnings for that day, they have families to provide for, and bills to pay like everyone else.

The rich politicians or who ever is responsible for the loss of earnings are way out of order for using religious excuses for affecting peoples livelihoods.

You can bet that these selfish people won't lose out financially in any way.

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is not a joke to the owners and workers of the bars who have no earnings for that day, they have families to provide for, and bills to pay like everyone else.

The rich politicians or who ever is responsible for the loss of earnings are way out of order for using religious excuses for affecting peoples livelihoods.

Overreaction much possum?

It is one day,  and part of a culture many choose to live in if not participate in. Why does every item need to be extenuated to rich pollies or some other corrupt thai aspect. Can't it just be what it is?

In any event, I am sure many of those who work  in the 'entertainment' industry are grateful for the day off. It is one industry,  whose staff are generally poorly paid and never get to take advantage of thailand's numerous holidays. They are loving it!

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well if I owned a business in Thailand, I'd make sure I knew the local laws first. 

I see where you are coming from, but again nearly every Authority in Thailand don't bother with laws, they just make up their own.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It is especially difficult for them being a Saturday. Many bars rely on a big crowd coming to watch sport and drink beer at the weekend.

It´s just not a joke in any circumstance. Just that some people here and owners of shops can´t accept laws and a country´s tradition. Just don´t have to buy alcohol that day.
The only thing needed is just to show some descent respect. Seems to be a lot of people and places that lacks the ability to do that.

Just like xmas and easter in the west,you mean.Shutting bars based on fairy tales.

23 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Damn. I never thought of this. Bar owners are really getting screwed. They are also being told when to open and close and cannot even sell alcohol to those under 21, ostensibly because of stupid morals and religion. Why can't they just do whatever the heck they want?

Letting them do what they want means never getting elected into power. Better to just seize power and make them do what they're told in order to keep that power.

Culture and tradition is no different to the law in Thailand: it can be used, abused or ignored, and literally over night, by whichever pig or toad currently has their mouth at the trough.

Edited by Squeegee

15 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Just like xmas and easter in the west,you mean.Shutting bars based on fairy tales.

I'm sure bars are open on Xmas and Easter in Scotland, and is it not more than two days in a year that bars are closed in Thailand?

39 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Damn. I never thought of this. Bar owners are really getting screwed. They are also being told when to open and close and cannot even sell alcohol to those under 21, ostensibly because of stupid morals and religion. Why can't they just do whatever the heck they want?

Yes, why? All these authorities do what they want, what's for the goose is for the gander.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It's a serious religious holiday.  It's like the week longs bans during elections-when we had them- that is. 

12 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

So why post then , just because your lonely sitting in no mans land waiting to croak

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I post because I am on a forum and that is what forums are for, giving an opinion on things, nobody has to agree, anyway, how do you know whether I'm lonely or not?

As for croaking, why do you have to be so rude just because you are hiding behind a keyboard?

7 minutes ago, The manic said:

It's a serious religious holiday.  It's like the week longs bans during elections-when we had them- that is. 

I know it is, and as for the week long bans you mention, people still have bills to pay and families to provide for, though it is OK for the rich politicians or whoever, to close peoples businesses because it does not affect them.

My fridge is full (thank the Mrs for that one)   :partytime2:  BBQ out later, and a few of my bar owning friends are taking their staff out to the beach and for some food, not too shabby I reckon. 

There really is no reason to get all uptight my friends, the sun is shining, it's a beautiful day, enjoy yourselves.

As for the bar/store owners I would hope they have the cost of holidays/no sale days (announced and unannounced) built into their pricing.  I would sure hope they don't have their prices set so low even one non-sale day caused by a holiday, weather, etc. greatly hurts them. 

As for the people who work at the bars, considering many employers require/want their people to work 7 days a week, the employees probably appreciate the day off.  I've got several in-laws who work low paying, day-labor type jobs and they are lucky to get one day off a week....and they actually look forward to anything that gives them a day off without them having to ask for it (afraid to ask for  day off due to job security) even when it's an unpaid day off.

Yes, why? All these authorities do what they want, what's for the goose is for the gander.

Parroting cliches now with insensitivity, possum.  Most have a grip on Thailand's variable days re alcohol. You just want little british 'rules' where it suits. 

Depicts the saddest type of retiree. Left what did not suit. Complains about what does not like now. 

3 minutes ago, optad said:

Parroting cliches now with insensitivity, possum.  Most have a grip on Thailand's variable days re alcohol. You just want little british 'rules' where it suits. 

Depicts the saddest type of retiree. Left what did not suit. Complains about what does not like now. 

"You just want little british 'rules' where it suits". 

You do not know anything about me, do you? You really think I want British rules over here???? Why do you think I came to stay over here???? Have you never read any of my previous posts?? anyone who knows me or has read many of my posts, knows about my contempt for the UK.:angry:

"You just want little british 'rules' where it suits". 

You do not know anything about me, do you? You really think I want British rules over here???? Why do you think I came to stay over here???? Have you never read any of my previous posts?? anyone who knows me or has read many of my posts, knows about my contempt for the UK.:angry:

No, know nothing about you possum but you project enough though.

You voluminously, offer opinions in this thread on set laws re a set thai day and alcohol then chide thias about what is good for "the goose is good for the gander......" . Relevance pls. 

yawn muc mah

Edited by optad