Retire in Phuket or Southern Europe?

simon43

The recent thread about living in Phuket versus living in Mauritius got me thinking about my retirement days, which are maybe about 5-7 years away.

I have often assumed for many years that I would spend my retirement days in Phuket or some other region of Thailand, simply because the cost of living is too expensive in Europe.

Well, I'm beginning to have second thoughts, because I've been looking at cost of living comparisions using Numbeo, which is a CoL comparision website.

Sure, Paris is very expensive!

But what about the sunny mediterreanean shores of Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece?

Like Gerald Durrell, I spent many months of my childhood playing on the beaches of Corfu (Greece).  As a young man, I travelled in the other countries that I mentioned.  The food in all of them was wonderful, as were the people.  I can't say that I have any bad memories of those days, (although things might have changed in recent years with the immigrants...)

I was very surprised to read that many day-to-day items ==> market food, utilities, rent etc were either the same price or cheaper in these European locations.  Only the cost of eating out in a restaurant was always more expensive.

So now I'm really asking myself - apart from the ready availability of women for rent, is there any decent reason for me to retire in Thailand, when I could spend my days on the sunny beaches of Portugal or a similar location.

... And I'm having problems thinking of a decent reason!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not Thailand, I'd be looking at Central America (Costa Rica, Belize) or Mexico. Warm weather year-round.

Fifteen years ago, Roatan (Bay Islands, Honduras) was a bargain, but since then, more people have "discovered" it and real estate prices have gone through the roof. 

OP

could take a look at Malta and Cyprus, in particular Cyprus. Many affordable areas, English well understood.

Eastern Med normally has decent temperatures year round.

If you fancy the odd cold day, they are available in Cyprus, winter time, up in the mountains.

Why in Thailand does it have to be only Phuket? Having lived in Phuket and also in the North, the North wins hands down for me and I also would never consider living in Phuket again. But I'm very happy to live (part year) in the North and when I feel the need for beach and the ocean Phuket and Krabi are not far away. With the change in seasons in the North plus a much lower cost of living also, the North for me is highly desirable.

16 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

OP

could take a look at Malta and Cyprus, in particular Cyprus. Many affordable areas, English well understood.

Eastern Med normally has decent temperatures year round.

If you fancy the odd cold day, they are available in Cyprus, winter time, up in the mountains.

I looked at Malta prior to settling on Phuket, and I didn't like it one bit.........the place was full of restaurants serving pizzas, burgers, fish and chips etc with the occasional mention of "something" mediterranean!

Then the tourists.........even met some from Nigeria who were trying to tell me what a great country it was. Little did they know I had worked there many years previously and it was a sh1thole and according to guys I met here recently who work there, it still is!!

On track........I would consider Portugal and parts of Southern France or even somewhere a little quieter in Greece, but for now Patong suits, then perhaps try Chiang Rai as did like it there when I visited a few times. 

I know a few people here who are considering Portugul as an alternative. There's also the Dalmatian coast opposite Italy- still relatively inexpensive compared to other parts of Southern Europe. For all its downside I'm still content in Phuket.

I guess one issue is what will happen if I go 'gaga' in my dotage. I'm single now, but do have a realistic option of living with either of my 2 Thai ex-wives, since both would definitely look after me.  I suspect one would happy milk me of all my money and leave me eating pla-ra in a dirty room, whilst the other would do everything in her ability to care for me.  That ex wants to settle down in Nong Khai.

Certainly, (and not only relevant to Phuket of course), is to consider the downside of growing old alone, especially if you start to lose your health.  (I know that there are some good care homes in Chiang Mai - NancyL has commented about these in many threads).

For now, retirement is as many years away as I want it to be - I'm just putting money in the bank with my job right now, and can decide at some point in the future when I feel that the piggy bank is full enough.

You can have my sister in law simon. She's not too bad looking, she isn't an ex whore and she isn't interested in money at all. The only downside is she has to be micro-managed like a child, can't speak much english(but could learn) and can't drive a bike.

pretty please?

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

I looked at Malta prior to settling on Phuket, and I didn't like it one bit.........the place was full of restaurants serving pizzas, burgers, fish and chips etc with the occasional mention of "something" mediterranean!

Then the tourists.........even met some from Nigeria who were trying to tell me what a great country it was. Little did they know I had worked there many years previously and it was a sh1thole and according to guys I met here recently who work there, it still is!!

On track........I would consider Portugal and parts of Southern France or even somewhere a little quieter in Greece, but for now Patong suits, then perhaps try Chiang Rai as did like it there when I visited a few times. 

Have to agree with you regarding Malta....

nothing special.....

as for the South of France,. I lived there for over 7 years, and left due to various reasons, but mainly because of the Lack of Service, everything closed, run down and crime was quite high,,,,

bored basically.....

I lived in the Midi Pyrenee region for a while, when I was working in Toulouse in the space business.  The French Pyreneeans don't really consider themselves that French (note - I wasn't in the Basque region).

he food and wine was great, as was the cross-country ski-ing and mountain climbing.  Rustic, stone-built houses were dirt cheap, because no one wanted to live in the region.

If the weather was wet, then it was just a short drive through a small tunnel in the mountains and you were in sunny Navarra...

Can't really say much bad about that region if you like the countryside and young women with moustaches and hairy armpits.

Suggest major tourist areas (Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Bangkok tourist precinct & islands) in Thailand are more expensive to live on day to day basis , as prices inflated for tourists. 

Away from tourist areas, the prices are more for locals, hence CoL much cheaper. 

Edited by eggers

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I lived in the Midi Pyrenee region for a while, when I was working in Toulouse in the space business.  The French Pyreneeans don't really consider themselves that French (note - I wasn't in the Basque region).

he food and wine was great, as was the cross-country ski-ing and mountain climbing.  Rustic, stone-built houses were dirt cheap, because no one wanted to live in the region.

If the weather was wet, then it was just a short drive through a small tunnel in the mountains and you were in sunny Navarra...

Can't really say much bad about that region if you like the countryside and young women with moustaches and hairy armpits.

"if you like the countryside and young women with moustaches and hairy armpits" - shouldn't be a problem for those guys here who do not care that their "women" has a penis.  :biggrin:

I would say, at least for me, thailand is fine, health permitting, until around 70 years of age. Cheaper rent, cheaper to buy a condo etc, restaurants, than Europe. No taxes. After 70, I find the weather a tad too hot, and I would worry about health problems turning up as I live alone. I have friends who are loving being retired in Portugal, and Spain, Greece, great deals to be had on fabulous houses/condos. I see the much older generation here struggling to get around, and I don't really fancy that . Of course, it's much easier if you have a happy home relationship with someone who will support you in your later years. 

Simplistic question for a very complex decision. We are all different in many ways and have needs and wants that are not easily solved in any one place. I've listed a few variables below.

For my needs Phuket (not Patong) ticks many boxes.

Married or single.

Married to Thai or Westerner.

Other family contact required.

Want to keep old friends or can make new ones.

Rich or struggling.

Beach or mountains/countryside.

Language difficulties.

Visa availability for your nationality.

Housing costs, availability

Crime levels. 

Fit and healthy or have medical issues.

Want access to International airport for frequent travel to home country or elsewhere.

Need top level hospital nearby.

Hobbies or other activities required.

Party animal or quiet life.

Access to good cheap alcohol or teetotal.

Active lifestyle or couch potato.

Loner or joiner.

Stray pussy needed or want a complete break from the hassles of the opposite gender.

Climate.

Edited by Old Croc

East Europe is cheap. Eg Serbia. The cost of living according to several websites is 25 %Cheaper than thailand.. But the elephant in the room is the availability of young hot women for 30 bucks. Thailand is unbeatable

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Just now, geisha said:

I would say, at least for me, thailand is fine, health permitting, until around 70 years of age. Cheaper rent, cheaper to buy a condo etc, restaurants, than Europe. No taxes. After 70, I find the weather a tad too hot, and I would worry about health problems turning up as I live alone. I have friends who are loving being retired in Portugal, and Spain, Greece, great deals to be had on fabulous houses/condos. I see the much older generation here struggling to get around, and I don't really fancy that . Of course, it's much easier if you have a happy home relationship with someone who will support you in your later years. 

Interesting you should say that because I am at that particular stage in my life although I can put up with the heat because I don't spend too much time out in it apart from the occasional night time foray to Bangla Road a couple of times a week.

I've had a couple of health issues over this past year and one of them required an operation however I managed to get through that on my own without too much difficulty, however I do often think about what would happen if I did become incapacitated and that is also the discussion I have with couple of other friends.

I really do function best on my own and don't really want to be in a relationship which is really undertaken to provide support for me, so I rationalise that if I do become incapacitated in one form or another that I will hire a suitable woman to come and take care of me on a part-time basis and pay her accordingly. I did this for a friend who suffered from an incurable disease a few years ago and he was most appreciative of the care he got from this woman and I have to say she was great in that respect.

I don't suppose it's any different here than anywhere else in the world, especially where you don't have family, so one has to make plans for this sort of eventuality and try to live life without letting it constantly invade one's thoughts – – live life like there's no tomorrow, because one day you will be right!

Terrible but true, I have been to all the places mentioned above, and also travelled for the last 25 yrs or so and spent substantial time in all the places below

Europe expensive in France, but a culture I like

Southern Portugal good cost of living good climate

Canaries excellent climate but too claustrophobic

Eastern med like turkey too cold in the winter, snow in Greece and Turkey

Malta Island too barren and dry

Cyprus not bad but not for a single man

Florida Ok but culture of people there did not gel well with me 

Costa Rica Yes good, also Nicaragua, and Honduras and also Panama

Bahamas truly magnificent living on my own boat

British Virgin Islands, Spanish virgin Islands, Leeward islands, the windward Islands, the Netherlands Antilles, all beautiful for a month or so

Haiti and Dominican republic again very beautiful

Then Cuba truly magnificent, spent a lot of time there ten years ago

Jamaica, no I worked there for two years in 70's

The further down Cartahegna Colombia, wonderful place with beautiful women

Then there is Australia, Tasmania, NewZealand, a country i should have moved to in my 30's

I have been up the Amazon, and cruised Alaska on my own boat, tying up to an iceberg !

There are many places I have not mentioned, but quietly living in Issan with a very loving wife, 9 yrs, also being wife number 4, I am happier than I have ever been

Other than Thailand in no particular order, favorites are  Bahamas, Cuba, Colombia, and of course NewZealand, I originally come from the UK

Not sure if I'd opt for Yemen, but agree that Phuket would be near the bottom of any list I'd make of places to stay.

Even Pattaya ranks better, mainly due to cheap and easy transport. No matter how amazing a place is if you can't get around or can't afford to get around then your stuck at home.. May as well go back home

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

Even Pattaya ranks better, mainly due to cheap and easy transport. No matter how amazing a place is if you can't get around or can't afford to get around then your stuck at home.. May as well go back home

Yes, it's been many years since I was last there, but I do recall the cost of getting around, even short distances, was exceptionally expensive at least by comparison to elsewhere in Thailand.

Not sure if I would say "EVEN Pattaya ranks better."  Sort of damning Pattaya with faint praise. I'm quite content with life in Pattaya although I neither while away my days in the bars that so many people think define Pattaya nor do I often take "public" transport. 

Yes, it's been many years since I was last there, but I do recall the cost of getting around, even short distances, was exceptionally expensive at least by comparison to elsewhere in Thailand.

Not sure if I would say "EVEN Pattaya ranks better."  Sort of damning Pattaya with faint praise. I'm quite content with life in Pattaya although I neither while away my days in the bars that so many people think define Pattaya nor do I often take "public" transport. 

Yeah I should have dropped the even. Im here now and spend 3 months a year away from Bangkok. It most definitely provides the best bang for the buck.. In every sense [emoji3]

Also considering moving to Southern Europe when I retire next year but am wondering what Brexit will do in terms of having the right to live there & access to free health care

Lucky for me, my grandfather was born and bred Irish, as was my father, (although he changed to British nationality just before WW2).  But I am automatically entitled to Irish nationality - just need to complete the application form and submit documents, (which I've been meaning to do for yonks, Brexit is encouraging me to get that task out of the way now).

46 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, available funds are a huge factor for many in deciding where to retire.

If, like yourself and the other poster, cheap public transport is a must, then Phuket is not for you.   I have a car and a driver and have no trouble getting around this Island.

Apart from the occasional taxi, the last time I used public transport was with a Eurorail pass in the 90s.